Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Frank's appearances on First Take were canned due to S-bomb

Default Lawrence Frank's appearances on First Take were canned due to S-bomb

• Oops: Former New Jersey Nets coach Lawrence Frank cursed during a live appearance on ESPN2's First Take this week, and the network promptly canceled Frank's planned appearances on two other shows later in the day.
    Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/2...#ixzz0lwEd3OYS

Default Re: Lawrence Frank's appearances on First Take were canned due to S-bomb

The horror.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Lawrence Frank's appearances on First Take were canned due to S-bomb

**** that ****.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And yet they say dern near anything on radio. I don't get it.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Can't blame ESPN for that. FCC would fine them alot more than an F-bomb dropped on Comedy Central.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't blame ESPN for that. FCC would fine them alot more than an F-bomb dropped on Comedy Central.
    Just bleep, mute, or clip out the bad word, and move on. Cancelling his appearances is lame.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Just bleep, mute, or clip out the bad word, and move on. Cancelling his appearances is lame.
    Well, someone with ties to the NFL that doesn't curse on the air will take his place I'm sure.

streets ahead

In case y'all missed it...

As for Lawrence Frank, FOX 5 NY's Ernie Anastos has some advice.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bring him in to be our coach!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    In case y'all missed it...

As for Lawrence Frank, FOX 5 NY's Ernie Anastos has some advice.
    Lawrence Frank needs to be on TV more often after seeing this.

I didn't think cable stations are under the rule of the FCC.

edit: I guess they are, but the rules are different.

http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-e...lite-and-cable
    Other FCC Enforcement Functions
    The FCC's authority differs greatly regarding standard broadcast television stations and other types of television channels such as cable television. Cable television channels are available by subscription only; they cannot be received over the air. Consequently, cable operators are subject to a different set of FCC rules than broadcast television stations. A broadcast television station on a cable system is regulated as a broadcast station.

The FCC enforces regulations designed to promote competition among cable companies, satellite companies, and other firms offering video programming services to the general public. This competition-promotion function includes a variety of issues such as the following:
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-23-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I didn't think cable stations are under the rule of the FCC
    From Wikipedia

The FCC obscenity guidelines have never been applied to non-broadcast media such as cable television or satellite radio. It is widely held that the FCC's authorizing legislation (particularly the Communications Act of 1934 and the Telecommunications Act of 1996) does not enable the FCC to regulate content on subscription-based services, which include cable television, satellite television, and pay-per-view television. Whether the FCC or the Department of Justice could be empowered by the Congress to restrict indecent content on cable television without such legislation violating the Constitution has never been settled by a court of law. Since cable television must be subscribed to in order to receive it legally, it has long been thought that the ability of subscribers who object to the content being delivered to cancel their subscription creates an incentive for the cable operators to self-regulate (unlike broadcast television, cable television is not legally considered to be "pervasive", nor does it depend on a scarce, government-allocated electromagnetic spectrum; as such, neither of the arguments buttressing the case for broadcast regulation particularly apply to cable television).

Self-regulation by many basic cable networks is undertaken by Standards & Practices (S&P) departments that self-censor their programming because of the pressure put on them by advertisers — also meaning that any basic cable network willing to ignore such pressure could use any of the Seven Dirty Words.

In recent years, all of the words on Carlin's list have come into commonplace usage in many made-for-cable series and film productions, such as Deadwood, The Sopranos, Nip/Tuck, Penn & Teller: Bull****! and Dead Like Me, to name a few examples.

Sports Logo

I was reading that Lawrence Frank was one of the top candidates for the Hornets Coaching Position.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Just because I like it so much...

Oh, the humanity!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sounds like a New Jersey guy to me.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Lawrence doesn't look the part when it comes to nba coaches. I'm surprised he gets so much respect from his players.

Mood

Good, everyone should be able to carry on a polite coversation when required. Everyone!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I can't believe we still treat some WORDS as though they are polite or not, evil or not, etc.

Good lord, they are sounds that if you don't speak the language don't even make any sense to you. The concept is in the ear of the beholder. I hear that and it means nothing to me.

I'd rather have someone say "You are the F**ing funniest MFer I know and my favorite son of a b**** in the world, we keep this s*** tight" than to say "Dear sir, now I will use a knife to carve your skin from your bone and wear it like a suit, I hope I didn't tie those ropes too tight as I'd hate to be a bother."

Guess I'm just a sucker for content over style.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Well I'm so offended by this that I demand that he be fired from ESPN and that for his punishment he be forced to coach the Indiana Pacers.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Well I'm so offended by this that I demand that he be fired from ESPN and that for his punishment he be forced to coach the Indiana Pacers.
    I fully support this! He needs to be immediately fired and then forced to coach the Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Good, everyone should be able to carry on a polite coversation when required. Everyone!
    I guess I'm a young enough guy, but since when did saying the word ***** have anything to do with being polite?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sobchak View Post
    I guess I'm a young enough guy, but since when did saying the word ***** have anything to do with being polite?
    Uh....swearing is not polite. It is crude, and is a crutch for when you can't think of anything smart to say. I realize that I'm old, but one of the biggest things I have noticed in the last 20 years or so is the increase in public vulgarity. There were always people who swore regularly, but they would clean up their language in a public forum. Now, sadly, that is not the case.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I can't believe we still treat some WORDS as though they are polite or not, evil or not, etc.

Good lord, they are sounds that if you don't speak the language don't even make any sense to you. The concept is in the ear of the beholder. I hear that and it means nothing to me.

I'd rather have someone say "You are the F**ing funniest MFer I know and my favorite son of a b**** in the world, we keep this s*** tight" than to say "Dear sir, now I will use a knife to carve your skin from your bone and wear it like a suit, I hope I didn't tie those ropes too tight as I'd hate to be a bother."

That will forever be a difference between us.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Uh....swearing is not polite. It is crude, and is a crutch for when you can't think of anything smart to say. I realize that I'm old, but one of the biggest things I have noticed in the last 20 years or so is the increase in public vulgarity. There were always people who swore regularly, but they would clean up their language in a public forum. Now, sadly, that is not the case.
    I suppose your right...I just think sometimes these things get blown out of proportion. The guy accidentally slipped up, yes, but is that really a reason to pull the whole segment? I think they could have just bleeped it and kept it moving IMO.