Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Cigarettes: After 37 years, I am a non-smoker

Hybrid View

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default E-Cigarettes: After 37 years, I am a non-smoker

Yes, I still take nicotine...but I don't smoke. Those 57 (or whatever it is) carcinogens in a Camel are no longer part of my life.

I am not encouraging any non-smokers to try these, but if you are a cigarette smoker, and you want a workable substitute, with huge health benefits (in an absence of unhealthy things kind of way), these are worth checking out.

Many smokers have still not heard of them, so I just wanted to point out an option which has let me wash and put away all the ash trays, lets my car not smell like an ash tray, lets me breathe easier....and the list goes on.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

Articles:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ease-read.html

http://articles.courant.com/2009-08-...ogens-nicotine

http://www.google.com/images?q=pics+...ed=0CBwQsAQwAA
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: E-Cigarettes: After 37 years, I am a non-smoker

If I hadn't already quit I would definitely consider these.

Congratulations on quitting. With that many years of smoking I'm sure kicking this was not an easy task.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Congratulations!

Quitting smoking was the most difficult thing I've ever tried to do. It's crazy addictive and taps into every habit you can imagine.

Or should I quote Mark Twain: "Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times."

I finally quit by hiring a hypnotist. I still had wicked chemical withdrawal (the patch and other nicotine supplements helps tons), but I listened to the tape of my session over and over as instructed and what do you know, it worked. The idea of smoking never much appealed to be afterwards.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

This is good news!

'Cause when you and I meet for breakfast one morning in June when you are up here, I'd hate to have to make a scene when you tried to light up!

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody tried the gum or lozenges and could report what they taste like? I've heard nicotine has a peppery taste in those products. How long does the buzz from those last?

I would encourage people to give the new drug Chantix a try. It has gotten some bad press due to some rare psychological side effects, but it is based upon a simple idea: It partially stimulates the nictotine receptors in the brain, but only partially, so that the drug itself is not habit-forming. Then the drug stays associated with the receptor for a much longer time than nicotine itself, preventing a craving much later. So it has a sustained effect that prevents the "low point" of dopamine depletion that drives cigarette craving (activation of nicotine receptors promotes dopamine release, and dopamine is a natural "feel good" substance, the same chemical released in your brain in a huge burst when you use cocaine.)

The Pfizer chemist who was the main inventor, Jotham Coe, was a college classmate of mine. Ironically, he was a chain smoker and was a participant in a clinical trial of the drug that he invented. He was inspired in part by the death of his mother, also a chain smoker.

Just a true story that runs counter to the idea that everyone associated with pharmaceutical companies are evil.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would encourage people to give the new drug Chantix a try. It has gotten some bad press due to some rare psychological side effects, but it is based upon a simple idea: It partially stimulates the nictotine receptors in the brain, but only partially, so that the drug itself is not habit-forming. Then the drug stays associated with the receptor for a much longer time than nicotine itself, preventing a craving much later. So it has a sustained effect that prevents the "low point" of dopamine depletion that drives cigarette craving (activation of nicotine receptors promotes dopamine release, and dopamine is a natural "feel good" substance, the same chemical released in your brain in a huge burst when you use cocaine.)

The Pfizer chemist who was the main inventor, Jotham Coe, was a college classmate of mine. Ironically, he was a chain smoker and was a participant in a clinical trial of the drug that he invented. He was inspired in part by the death of his mother, also a chain smoker.

Just a true story that runs counter to the idea that everyone associated with pharmaceutical companies are evil.
    I echo this.

My wife (who smoked for 10 years) quit using Chantix.

Congrats dude.

Mood

Thanks all...and Putty, I'd be glad of a breakfast rendezvous.

You know, as far as it being hard to quit, these e-cigs made it surprisingly easy. Still getting the nicotine, and have something in my hands, and the little end glows when I puff just like an 'analog' cigarette.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    . . . and the little end glows when I puff just like an 'analog' cigarette.....

Except that it glows blue instead of red. I thought (when I met Kester for a cup of coffee at The Patch in Crawfordsville a few weeks ago) that the color choice was a nice touch, since it tells people across the room that he isn't really smokin'.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

It is interesting that these things really work. They sell them at a kiosk across the street from where I work, they always looked like bunk to me.

Putnam or Kester, I'd be happy to buy either of you guys a cup of joe someday.

Like many I went through this stupid phase in college where I thought it was edgy to smoke, but I for some reason was never addicted to it at all. I haven't lit up in about five years and never plan on doing so again!

What is the price of these things, and where do you find them?

I've heard of them before, but never have seen them anywhere. It sounds like you have a battery powered "cigarette", perhaps some form of insert containing the nicotine, and of course the batteries. Is that right?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    What is the price of these things, and where do you find them?

I've heard of them before, but never have seen them anywhere. It sounds like you have a battery powered "cigarette", perhaps some form of insert containing the nicotine, and of course the batteries. Is that right?

That is correct. Price-wise, the starter kits go around 40-80 bucks, and a 30 ml e-juice refill bottle (roughly 2 'cartons') running about 12-20 bucks.

I'd recommend the kind that you fill up with the juice. They have reusable filters. Some brands come with pre-loaded disposeable cartridges that you can't refill -- common at the mall kiosks, I believe, though I could be wrong. I've never heard anyone say they were happy with those.

The 510 model is a good starter, and this is a good price:

http://www.kingpincigs.com/e-cigarette- ... joye-style
    Last edited by kester99; 08-22-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Congrats!!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Just bought myself the starter kit for an e-cig and am gonna give it a shot, kesty!

Congrats, and thanks for the inspiration!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

20. The Following User Says Thank You to heywoode For This Useful Post:

Mood

Go for it, 'woode! And thanks.

Lots of info about the use / hardware / juice / etc here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

In their Library section, there's a 6-part article which tries to be everything you need to know, or might ever want to know, on the various models, terminology, and so on..

I read extensively there after reading this thread, and that's what prompted me to jump in with both feet...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Anything and anyway you can get yourself to quit is a God send. Smoker for 20 years I guess and finally did quit in 2002 using the patch. Wish I had quit earlier as even after all these years I can still hear fluid in my lungs. Reckon I burnt the linings enough that part will never be repaired, but convinced it I hadn't quit I would probably be one of those folks carting around an oxygen bottle or something.

As noted above the gum does have a peppery taste. Need to be careful with it as it's easy to get sick/overdose on it.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Just an update. It's been four months, and I still am using these e-cigs, no burning tobacco....except twice I got stuck at locations with dead e-cig batteries, and ended up buying a pack of the death-sticks.

My blood pressure is down 15 points, and I quit coughing in my sleep.

Heywoode!!! How's it going? Did you switch? I've helped two people at work buy starter kits, but I still see them smoking outside. Don't know if they even opened the box.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Congratulations Kester!! I'm happy for ya.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Deleted: see below.
    Last edited by bulldog; 08-22-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

Mood

I'm going to stay with my original sentiment...this is a much, much safer way to 'smoke.' It is a boon to the addicted among us. I do not want your children to start using these things.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Unfortunately, I feel like I have to burst the bubble a little bit. E-cigarettes are very new; we still don't know exactly what they are and what health effects they will have. The marketing that e-cigarettes are "safer" than traditional cigarettes is completely unsupported at this time. In fact, in 2009 the FDA found that "these devices may contain some of the same toxic or carcinogenic compounds as traditional cigarettes...including known human carcinogens. One cartridge also contained 1% ethylene glycol, a toxic chemical."
    (Kuen. FDA: E-cigarettes may be risky. JAMA. 2009;302(9):937)

In fact, I get really angry about e-cigarettes because of the misleading marketing. The reason you buy e-cigarettes at mall kiosks is to avoid the normal safety regulations that apply to other such devices.
    Good luck.

Everyone should of course do a little homework, and I expect the adult readership here will do so. Here are some links to studies, not financed by any manufacturer, addressing your concerns:

from the Journal of Pharmacology:

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/91/1/52.abstract

The results of these experiments in conjunction with the absence of any observed ill effects in patients exposed to both triethylene glycol and propylene glycol vapors for months at a time, provide assurance that air containing these vapors in amounts up to the saturation point is completely harmless.

Another study from the CDC:

from the CDC - Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/egpg/p...ne_glycol.html

...and from Lew Rockwell, who is an advocate:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/fetters1.1.1.html

by Lew Rockwell

"...The E-cigarette is more or less a personal nicotine vaporizer.

There is no actual "smoke," nor is there any actual tobacco, tar, or harmful chemicals. What you actually inhale and exhale is a mixture of Propylene Glycol (or Vegetable Glycol), Nicotine, some natural flavor or another, and water. Now that we mentioned Nicotine, this is the part where the FDA comes rolling in.

The initial argument that the FDA produced after a brief study, was that Diethylene Glycol was a health risk, as it is commonly found in substances such as anti-freeze. What the FDA did here was consciously derail and sabotage the E-Cigarette through their tried and true fearmongering technique of big-worded misinformation.

Here is a part of the original FDA quote:

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze."

Is DG (Diethylene Glycol) considered toxic? The answer is yes. But what the FDA failed to mention is that the tested E-Cigarette cartridges had about 1/10 the DG that can be found in aspirin, and about 1/40 the amount found in your typical tobacco cigarette. It can also be found in a variety of consumable products on the market that we use daily. It's actually not an ingredient in anti-freeze. It's an ingredient in coolants. They mixed that up with PG (Propylene Glycol) which is actually put into anti-freeze in order to make the anti-freeze child-safe and/or pet-safe....

......Somebody sued.

Not necessarily for money, but for the FDA to lift it's injunction on shipments. They won. The FDA got a lovely cease and desist order from the Honorable Judge Richard Leon.

Judge Richard Leon:

"This case appears to be yet another example of F.D.A.’s aggressive efforts to regulate recreational tobacco products as drugs or devices,"

*Gasp!*

Imagine that, a government regulatory branch overstepping its bounds!

Of course the FDA sent in an appeal. They had to do it. Big Pharma and Big Tobacco cannot allow their market competition to survive and hamper their bottom lines.

I believe the FDA has more than likely been pretty reluctant to re-enter the fray. It ends up painting them as more of a monster than a savior. One almost feels badly for them until one reminds themselves that more people have died as a result of FDA-approved products than non-approved. I won't even talk about cigarette deaths. It tells you where their loyalties come to rest at night. Rest assured though, their loyalties aren't to the consumers or the public health.

4000+ chemicals in tobacco cigarettes vs. the 3 found in E-cigarettes. The FDA is trying to kick people back to the former by means of eradicating the latter............."

----------------------------

Suffice it to say that the topic gets political really quick out there on the google machine. Don't want to take this thread there, but I felt I had to address Bulldog's citation. It (the FDA study) has been characterized as a misleading attempt to get the e-cig classified as a drug / drug delivery system, rather than a tobacco product. As a tobacco product, the usual minimum age laws and production quality control laws could apply (much to be desired). As a drug delivery system, all the products wold immediately be taken off the legal market pending multi-year studies.
    Last edited by kester99; 08-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Deleted: You know, PD is not really the venue for the type of discussion this is about the become. I'll just say this: many major medical organizations, such as the American Medical Association, have serious concerns about the safety of e-cigarettes, and I would encourage anyone considering quitting smoking to speak with their doctor, because there are good alternatives out there to help.

Best of luck with your future health.
    Last edited by bulldog; 08-22-2010 at 11:30 PM.
    2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

First of all, congratulations

Though I've never smoked cigarettes, I can only imagine how hard it must be to quit smoking them.

However, I do enjoy a nice cigar every few months, but I truly can't imagine how hard it must be to stop smoking cigarettes once you're addicted. That always scared me too much for some reason, although it's good that it did

Regardless, congratulations! I know that's a major accomplishment.