Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Freeloaders are Ruining the Music Industry!

streets ahead

Default Re: Freeloaders are Ruining the Music Industry!

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ugh, I figure that was a poorly constructed and not well thought out statement that I'm really REALLY sick of explaining.
    But why?

If I hear Usher's "Yeah" anywhere on the planet, ever again, in my lifetime, it will be too soon. That song makes my brain hurt in ways that should be reserved for torture rooms.
    Chappelle's Show
    A Moment in the Life of Lil Jon - Flying
    www.comedycentral.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    How do you figure that?

*edit* I understand what is meant by fraud...the part I'm not getting is why we're finally at that stage. I'll re-read.
    We're finally at that stage because for the first time in history, the proletariat is afforded the opportunity for real participation and choice.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

That's the part I'm confused about. What has allowed real participation and choice that wasn't available 10 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    That's the part I'm confused about. What has allowed real participation and choice that wasn't available 10 years ago?
    Dude, THE INTERNET. That's what we've been talking about this whole time.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Dude, THE INTERNET. That's what we've been talking about this whole time.
    I've heard about that thing, but don't really see what the big deal is.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Technically, the internet was available 10 years ago...

But broadband access has expanded as has technology....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Napster launched: June 1999
    iTunes launched: April 28, 2003
    MySpace launched: August 2003
    Facemash (original Facebook) created: October 2003

The real need for major labels to discover, develop, produce, market and distribute new music: drastically declining ever since.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Lala went out of business today. Their service has stopped effective immediately (though the link above is still working). I was surprised to hear this.

I had actually never heard of Lala until I looked for that clip.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Aww that sucks!

Hmm. Mick Jagger has some thoughts on this issue...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8681410.stm

Things have obviously changed a great deal since those sessions. What's your feeling on technology and music?

Technology and music have been together since the beginning of recording.

I'm talking about the internet.

But that's just one facet of the technology of music. Music has been aligned with technology for a long time. The model of records and record selling is a very complex subject and quite boring, to be honest.

But your view is valid because you have a huge catalogue, which is worth a lot of money, and you've been in the business a long time, so you have perspective.

Well, it's all changed in the last couple of years. We've gone through a period where everyone downloaded everything for nothing and we've gone into a grey period it's much easier to pay for things - assuming you've got any money.

Are you quite relaxed about it?

I am quite relaxed about it. But, you know, it is a massive change and it does alter the fact that people don't make as much money out of records.

But I have a take on that - people only made money out of records for a very, very small time. When The Rolling Stones started out, we didn't make any money out of records because record companies wouldn't pay you! They didn't pay anyone!

Then, there was a small period from 1970 to 1997, where people did get paid, and they got paid very handsomely and everyone made money. But now that period has gone.

So if you look at the history of recorded music from 1900 to now, there was a 25 year period where artists did very well, but the rest of the time they didn't.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Heh. Provacatively titled piece called "Why I steal movies... Even the ones I'm in."

http://gizmodo.com/5539417/why-i-ste...ven-ones-im-in

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

billbradley

this is the bass player for sigur ros. if you don't know them you've heard their stuff in movies. my favorites are the tracks from vanilla sky and life aquatic with steve zissou. anyway he talks about the music industry and a new site that gives 100% of the earnings to the musician. good stuff.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    this is the bass player for sigur ros. if you don't know them you've heard their stuff in movies. my favorites are the tracks from vanilla sky and life aquatic with steve zissou. anyway he talks about the music industry and a new site that gives 100% of the earnings to the musician. good stuff.
    Interesting label comments from a guy who's probably never read his own royalty statement. If he had, he'd know that he does get paid for radio play all around the world (except in China, North Korea, and yes, the United States).

I do agree with him in principle though. Every artist should be careful about their business decisions. You don't want to end up in a situation where your label/publisher/manager/etc. is nothing more than a middleman. It's really important to clearly understand how each party is helping your career.

You'd need some pretty amazing circumstances, however, for it to make sense to not sign with *any* label (i.e. extremely strong following, great personal relationships/connections with important people, etc.). Assuming the deal makes sense, you can always find a label with more access to distribution/marketing than you.
    Last edited by imawhat; 05-22-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat
    Originally Posted by GO!!!!!
    I for one, if he recorded 300 songs would like to see more then a pissy 10-12 on his CD, make it a double CD feature, 20-26 songs, make it worth buying for the people...
    You may not have to wait too long to buy these extended packages. A lot of labels have their artists are under exclusive recording contracts, which can mean all masters recorded during that contract become owned by the label. As such, labels are beginning to experiment with ways to maximize their assets, which includes subscriptions and extended releases. It's a great idea that can finally happen with the lack of returns risk and no cost of manufacturing for digital releases.
    I wanted to circle back to this and Putnam's original post. This is obviously the exception to the rule, but it's an interesting case study.

See how Nine Inch Nails made $750,000 from album sales in less than 30 hours, even though you could get 9 of the tracks for free. (begin watching around 10:50)

NARM 2009 State Of The Industry: Michael Masnick from NARM on Vimeo.

I also know of case studies of smaller bands (with less than 100 albums sold on iTunes) where giving away tons of free music led to a successful six-figure business with sold out tour dates.

IF the rest of the industry catches on, the music business will be in better shape.

*quick side note*- Gaining performance royalties for sound recordings in the U.S. would be a tremendous help in saving labels. It's not a well-known fact.

Hmm... this lady says that we should make media IP more like fashion IP. LA, aren't you in fashion? What are your thoughts on this?

Enjoy your time at PD!