Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any doubts about Siggi's future here

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Any doubts about Siggi's future here

Just got blown away...'bye Siggi (you blew it)

Brewer's plan unravels badly
    Free agent's strategy to hold out on Pacers fails when he plays poorly in summer league.

Free agent Jamison Brewer's days with Pacers could be numbered after he played poorly this summer.

By Sekou Smith
    sekou.smith@indystar.com
    July 25, 2004

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Jamison Brewer summer league experiment was an admitted disaster, to say the least.

Brewer, by his own account, played "horribly" throughout the Indiana Pacers' six-game stint at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

Charged with running the team and showing how three years of hard work as a Pacers reserve has benefited his game, Brewer failed to make his mark here.

"I don't believe in excuses, that's not me. I just didn't play well. I never got into a rhythm," Brewer said. "I don't know if it was the style of ball we were playing or the type of team we had or what. I just couldn't get it going at all."

Now comes the hard part for the free agent point guard.

Brewer declined to sign an offer sheet extended by the Pacers on July 1. He and his agent, Philadelphia-based Leon Rose, decided Brewer should wait and weigh his options before making a decision.

The Pacers have since rescinded the offer, leaving Brewer without a guaranteed contract as he heads into his fourth season.

"I really don't know what happens now," said Brewer, who would have earned about $875,000 had he signed. "But it'll be their loss if things don't work out and I end up somewhere else.

"Don't get me wrong, I love playing for Indiana. I love the program, the fellas, the city and everything. I've been with Indiana for three years, so it won't be hard feelings either way. I've still got love for them."

Whether the Pacers reciprocate that love after Brewer's performance here is the $875,000 question.

Brewer tied for the Revue lead in assists (5.0), but he also averaged 5.0 turnovers per game. He had single-game highs of eight in both categories. He shot 22 percent (8-of-37), including 1-of-12 from beyond the 3-point line.

He never scored more than five points in a game and never appeared to be on the same page as the coaching staff.

"I think maybe in his mind he felt he had to come here and dominate," Pacers assistant coach Dan Burke said. "I think he thought he would come out here and it would be easy for him. We were looking for him to run the team and organize the team, and he was worrying about getting play calls for him. And that's not what it was about."

Pacers president Larry Bird and coach Rick Carlisle witnessed most of Brewer's struggles. They left before Saturday's Revue finale, an 84-70 loss to Chicago.

"Jamison hadn't played in what, a couple of years?" Bird said after the Pacers game Thursday. "This is the first time he's played in games in a while. I thought it was very critical for him to come out here and show us what he can do. And quite frankly, he struggled."

Brewer knows his play didn't help his cause.

"I'm definitely not happy, man," Brewer said. "But if they want to make a decision based on this, that's their loss. This summer league doesn't show what I can do. I'm better than I showed out here."

But is Brewer good enough to be the third player in the Pacers' point guard rotation? With Jamaal Tinsley and Anthony Johnson already penciled in, there's room and a need for at least one more. Rashad Wright, the Pacers' second-round pick in last month's draft, is in the mix. Brewer is too, depending on what happens in the coming weeks.

Neither Bird nor Carlisle would rule out carrying four point guards again next season.

"Jamison told me after the season he'd given the Pacers three years and he really loves the guys and the city, but he wants to have an opportunity to get on the floor and play if somebody goes down, and we can't give that to him right now," Bird said. "So that's why we had to take a look at him. That's why we wanted him here."

Brewer, however, has made it clear he has no desire to be the fourth point guard again.

"Jamison said he didn't want to be on the bench in street clothes anymore if he didn't make the top three," Bird said. "So unless he changes his mind, that makes things a little difficult for us. We'll have to go out and find someone else if we do go with four."

Call Star reporter Sekou Smith at (317) 444-6053.

\\\\\\\\
    Those terminal words "and quite frankly" you don't EVER want your management thinking that way about you...and quite frankly is ONLY a negative thought.

Lesse by bringing in someone else they can save couple of hundred G anyway...'bye Siggi.

[edit=99=1090761309][/edit]
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Any doubts about Siggi's future here

He doesn't come across too well in this article. I think Ron's hype has been going to his head. I'd rather we cut our losses and look elsewhere, through trade or free agency -- whether we carry 3 point guards or 4.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Ron's hype has been going to his head.
    That is my thinking exactly. I think we carr 2 maybe 3 and a couple of combo gaurds.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Just a point...

He turned down $875,000.00 per year. How long do you have to work to make what he just turned down for 1 year?

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As I mentioned before...This guy will not get invited to our training camp! Hi agent must be a total numb-nuts idiot to tell Brewer to not jump all over the July 1st offer knowing that the team just drafted another point guard that could easily make him very expendible! His agent must of had his head in the clouds because as Joe Fan here, I could figure out that Brewer sat his arse on the pine for 3 years. When the team drafted a PG...I would have been telling him to sign just to have to avoid the competition because Write would have to be super good to beat out a guy with a guaranteed contract.

Bye Bye Brewer... :boo:
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Well no big suprise there. I'm suprised he stuck with us for as long as he did anyway. If he can't even have a few good games in some weak summer league at this point, definitely time to look for something new.

Shame he wasn't on the playoff roster last year though.. we woulda been the champs..

One thing the article does mention is that Brewer seemed to think that he had to show what he personally could do in the summer league.

Not just by performing the normal duties of a PG, but also by providing output offensively. He probably came across as selfish, it does mention that he deviated from his coach's plan by calling his own number.

I'd say he pushed to hard to "do it all".

He no longer wants to be a fourth PG. He at least wants to get on the bench in uniform. I suppose that's a good goal. Our coaches wouldn't want anyone on the roster that doesn't want to progress.

I'd bet he will be invited to camp because his quickness and defensive abilities bring something none of the other PGs can offer. And, quite frankly, because he probably blew any chance he had at getting invited to anyone else's camp.

But if he doesn't quickly show some progress in camp, I think he's gone.

IMO, what's lost in all the Brewer bashing is that Wright played really bad, too. He had multiple games with NO assists, and word is he didn't defend well, either. In other words, he played like the last pick in the draft is expected to.

So, here's the thing. We've only got Tins and AJ at the point now. If one goes down (not inconceivable, all 4 of our points had injuries last season), that means our 3rd point is gonna get serious PT. Right now, I have zero confidence in this rookie, even as an "emergency" point. Bash Sigg all you want, at least he has proven experience of playing well in such a role.

I'm not saying I expect him back. Brewer's burned his bridges with Bird. My point is I think we've got to look elsewhere. I'd rather have us bring back someone like Omar Cook than sign Wright. Too bad Omar looks like he'll stick with the Bobcats.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Why would the Pacers waste any time inviting Brewer to camp? They know what he is all about and that would just be taking mins. from guys that the Pacers want to see.

Ya know...Brewer with this "So-called" excellent defense is being beat out by a guy that plays slightly above ave defense and slightly below avg. offense.

Kegboy, I agree that Wright is not the answer either, but I'm more willing to give him the time to develop then waste another second on Jamison Brewer. Personally, the Pacers could wash out both Wright and Brewer and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep. If another guy like Cooke does show up in training camp this year, I don't want Brewer getting in the way of progress because the coaching staff does not trust him and if he did make the roster, He would just be relegated to seat #15 at the end of the bench. I hope the Pacers use the time to put someone in seat #15 that has some NBA potential, not a guy that is worse then when he was a rookie!

It is time to move past the Sigg era and move on. He is not NBA material and you all know it!
    [edit=29=1090771241][/edit]
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

But is Brewer good enough to be the third player in the Pacers' point guard rotation? With Jamaal Tinsley and Anthony Johnson already penciled in, there's room and a need for at least one more. Rashad Wright, the Pacers' second-round pick in last month's draft, is in the mix. Brewer is too, depending on what happens in the coming weeks.

Neither Bird nor Carlisle would rule out carrying four point guards again next season.

"Jamison told me after the season he'd given the Pacers three years and he really loves the guys and the city, but he wants to have an opportunity to get on the floor and play if somebody goes down, and we can't give that to him right now," Bird said. "So that's why we had to take a look at him. That's why we wanted him here."

Brewer, however, has made it clear he has no desire to be the fourth point guard again.

"Jamison said he didn't want to be on the bench in street clothes anymore if he didn't make the top three," Bird said. "So unless he changes his mind, that makes things a little difficult for us. We'll have to go out and find someone else if we do go with four."
    See, this is the part I've been puzzling over. I'm reading that as Bird saying Brewer is in no way able to be a third-string point guard, that the only way he'd stay is as a fourth string. Since that's not likely, Wright will end up with the fourth string and the Pacers will go look for a third-string player.

Is that what that means?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

If he's gone, I won't lose any sleep or hair over it. If we do, I hope we pick up a more experienced PG for the minimum, rather than take our chances with Wright as our #3.

I love Brewer's energy and defense, so I'd kinda miss him. But bad attitudes will get you sent out of Indiana just as fast as bad play, and both don't bode well for Jamison Brewer. Dun dun dunnn.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

I'm starting to think Clark needs to trade in his suit for a uniform and sit out there on the bench. If we keep Brewer, we might as well have another guy who won't see the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

See, this is the part I've been puzzling over. I'm reading that as Bird saying Brewer is in no way able to be a third-string point guard, that the only way he'd stay is as a fourth string. Since that's not likely, Wright will end up with the fourth string and the Pacers will go look for a third-string player.

Is that what that means?
    I don't think even Larry understands what he says half the time. Don't waste your time trying to get meaning out of what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

Is that what that means?
    I don't think even Larry understands what he says half the time. Don't waste your time trying to get meaning out of what he says.

I think we've all gotten so enured to having to analyse and pick apart Donnie's words, that we forget how blunt Larry normally is.

But I do get the sense that we may be looking to pick up a 3rd PG from the FA pool. Somebody who's got some experience, but doesn't need minutes to be happy.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Bye, Bye Jamison been nice knowing you were on our bench, godspeed and goodluck ... ELSEWHERE!!!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

If we pick someone up, he's gone for sure. Doesn't sound good for him that's for sure.
    At the same time, right now all he has to do is beat out Wright to be the 3d string guy. Pacers could be beating his price down.

Wow, the his total stats through 4 games are scary.

QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner
    Q. It looks like Jamison Brewer's summer league experience is a disaster. I know that these games don't mean much, but he has been in the league long enough that his shooting percentages, turnovers, and floor decisions should be accurately gradable enough to determine his ultimate future with the Pacers. What, in your opinion, does this do to his chances? (From Richard in Tucson, AZ)

A. To be sure, Brewer’s statistics do not exactly inspire confidence. Through five games, he’s 6 of 32 from the field (.188), 1 of 12 from the 3-point line (.083), 1 of 8 from the free-throw line (.125) and has 24 turnovers (an average of 9.4 per 48 minutes played). While he has produced a team-high 25 assists, that’s the only positive stat. In the summer league, turnovers can sometimes be discounted because of the lack of familiarity between the players and the lack of practice time. Even given that, his number jumps off the page. The Pacers know Brewer is a solid defensive player and superior athlete. What they hoped to find out in the summer league is if he has made strides in his ability to lead a team, to run an offense, to make sound decisions – in essence, to be a point guard. It’s always dangerous to form an opinion based solely on statistics, but that’s the only information available since, like most of the world, I have been unable to actually view the Pacers’ summer league games. And the statistics offer little evidence in support of Brewer’s case.
    E-mail this story

I agree that Larry is always blunt and to the point. He may conceal things at times, but when he opens his mouth, he tends to spew exactly what he is thinking and feeling. Honest and to the point. He probably says too much for a GM.

So as we sit here today, Larry is saying that at this moment Brewer MIGHT be welcome as a 4th PG, but nothing more. I think that puts the ball in Brewer's court. Come to camp and try to earn more, or be satisfied with 4th fiddle.

GNOME -

I think you overlook one extremely important point. Had Brewer been on the playoff roster, we would have stood a much better chance of getting by Detroit. IMO - I think we would have gotten by Detroit with the help of, that's right, a 4th string PG.

If we don't bring Brewer back then we by god better do one thing. Go out and find somebody who is capable of slowing down the cat-quick guards that we will face next season. Because this season in the playoffs against Wade and Hamilton, well quite frankly we didn't do so well.

And if we don't bring in a stopper, then we better come up with different defensive schemes against them, because right now we have no inidvidual player on our roster capable of stopping them one-on-one from getting into the lane.

Beast makes a good point. It's really sad that Brewer's blowing it, cause his abilities as a speedy defender is what we need to compliment Jamaal and AJ. That's why we drafted Wright, but it doesn't look like he's gonna work out either.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    I agree that Larry is always blunt and to the point. He may conceal things at times, but when he opens his mouth, he tends to spew exactly what he is thinking and feeling. Honest and to the point. He probably says too much for a GM.

So as we sit here today, Larry is saying that at this moment Brewer MIGHT be welcome as a 4th PG, but nothing more. I think that puts the ball in Brewer's court. Come to camp and try to earn more, or be satisfied with 4th fiddle.

GNOME -

I think you overlook one extremely important point. Had Brewer been on the playoff roster, we would have stood a much better chance of getting by Detroit. IMO - I think we would have gotten by Detroit with the help of, that's right, a 4th string PG.

If we don't bring Brewer back then we by god better do one thing. Go out and find somebody who is capable of slowing down the cat-quick guards that we will face next season. Because this season in the playoffs against Wade and Hamilton, well quite frankly we didn't do so well.

And if we don't bring in a stopper, then we better come up with different defensive schemes against them, because right now we have no inidvidual player on our roster capable of stopping them one-on-one from getting into the lane.

I think a healthy Freddie takes that role.
    I too would still like to see Brewer for that reason.

GNOME -

How do you figure that Brewer would have led to us getting over the hump versus Detroit. You seen how rusty and terrible an accomplished veteran looked out there..What makes anyone think that a guy that barely got hardly any mins. the whole season wouldn't freeze up like a clam out there in one of the biggest games of their lives. Brewer would have not made that much of a difference in that game/series.
    We had Chauncey Billups pretty much in check for a lot of the series. As for Brewer guarding Hamilton out of position... Brewer would get tested running thru the screens then when Rip would get the ball he would just shoot over him with the height advantage.

Honestly, I really don't care for a defensive stopper..I would like a point that is more balanced or knows how to run the floor but is a little suspect on shooting...a project that we can work on and give a shot, like we did Brewer, but just hope for better results!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Mood

Stealing my own thread....

I wonder how Ron will react to JAmison being left out of the mix altogether?????

More missed flights....?

The Pistions won game 2 by 5 points. It was tight throughout Q4. Even though we tried at least 3 players on Hamilton in the 4th, he got free for something like 15 points.

I would agree that I would really like all of our PGs to be balanced in their skills. But in that particular game, I would have given anything to have a quicker, better defender available to cover Hamilton.

You mention that Rip would just shoot over Brewer anyway. In a few situations, that is true. However, for most good shooters, a major part of their performance is getting to their spots on the floor in rhythm to release the ball. A case in point is Hamilton, who takes most of his shots off the dribble as opposed to being a spot-up shooter.

On defense, Brewer is a troublesome little **** who just gets all over his man, especially when he has the ball. Like Ron, Brewer is the guy you would hate to play against in pick-up ball, because quite frankly, you want to punch him in the mouth before the game is over. He covers you that well, is a little physical, and just gets under your skin.

I wouldn't have been asking Brewer to play 20 mintues of Game 2. Just maybe 5-6 minutes. Perhaps 3-4 of those minutes in Q4. It would not have taken much to turn that game, maybe just being successful against Hamilton for 2 possession more than what we actually were. Depending on the timing in Q4, that would have been enough to change the outcome. And we would have been up 2-0, a deficit not often overcome.

In all honesty, I'm hoping with a summer of workouts behind him, that Wright can prove to be our man as the #3 PG. He was SEC DPOY, so I don't doubt that he could become an extremely capable stopper at PG. Offensively, just about anybody could contribute more than Brewer, so I figure Wright is already light-years ahead at that end of the court.

But until I can see Wright, I'm hoping Brewer sticks around. I think he's capable of better play than he showed in the summer league. And, until someone proves to be better, he is our best defensive PG.

I would agree that I would really like all of our PGs to be balanced in their skills. But in that particular game, I would have given anything to have a quicker, better defender available to cover Hamilton.
    We had one. His name's Freddy Jones. Unfortunately, Reggie was in instead.

Anybody think Freddy would have been blocked on that breakaway?

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Good point. I'm not a FJ fan but he would have ben ideal in that situation.