Thread: Could Okur's injury open the door for a Ut/In trade?

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Could Okur's injury open the door for a Ut/In trade?

Just a thought....
    I know this might be better suited for the trade forum, but as it relates to recent news and comments related to Birds off-season plan of looking a a vet option vs. more rookies, I thought there was more to discuss then just a swap of players.
    I have read both here & elsewhere in the past, suggestions by some sort of a "Murph to Utah" deal (for Boozer), only to be shot down because Ocur & Murph are too much alike, & Utah,s play-off opportunities.
    But..... w/ Okur's recent injury: (http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wir...to_six_months/)
    and the fact that Boozer will likely leave this summer, I was left wondering, what if....
    Why for Utah?
    Murph fills Okur's role in the offense untill he is 100% healthy. Murph's expiring, along w/ AK47's gives Utah a great start at rebuilding a core around D.Williams going forward. Utah has NY's #9 pick, & is we did a deal centered around a S&T Boozer for Murph & #10, Utah would have some very good options & future cap to rebuild around. Besides, Mipsap is their PF of the future, not CB. Utah (& Boozer) would likely both look for a S&T & we seem to be able to offer a decent deal w/ relativeness to Utah's needs.
    Why for IN?
    We get pt. 2 of the Dynamic Dou! C.Booxer adds toughness, scoring & a true "#2" option to the team, & would be an ideal fit next to Roy, IMO. The deal could be altered &/or expanded, as Foster could also add interest to Utah. Not sure if we could keep #10 & still land CB, but if we could (Murph/Foster/#40, future 1st for resigned C.Boozer/(Koufos?)) then we would be in a place to look at PG (Bledsoe), SG (Henery), or trade down (Miami/ Minn?) & pick up assets.

Thoughts?
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Could Okur's injury open the door for a Ut/In trade?

It'd never happen. We're the Pacers. We never get good deals like this.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It'd never happen. We're the Pacers. We never get good deals like this.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Only in a Fairy Tale would we get rid of a guy like Murphy and pick up a guy like Boozer.

Last I checked, Okur's career wasn't over.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Last I checked, Okur's career wasn't over.
    Yeah, he might be back before the regular season starts back up again, it looks like.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Yeah, he might be back before the regular season starts back up again, it looks like.
    Possible, I get that, but this is a very dificult injury to fullt recover from in just 6 months.
    Also, Utah will be looking to assist Carlos this summer, & my thought was we might have enough assets to atleast be in the discussion. I am aware this is a stretch, but IMO it is the kind of deal L.Bird will be looking for if he plans on taking on a big contract.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Possible, I get that, but this is a very dificult injury to fullt recover from in just 6 months.
    Not really. It wasn't a total rupture. it's a 4-6 month injury.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

If we could somehow swing that trade and keep the #10 pick and be in contention to sign a player like Bledsoe I'd be all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Just a thought....
    I know this might be better suited for the trade forum, but as it relates to recent news and comments related to Birds off-season plan of looking a a vet option vs. more rookies, I thought there was more to discuss then just a swap of players.
    I have read both here & elsewhere in the past, suggestions by some sort of a "Murph to Utah" deal (for Boozer), only to be shot down because Ocur & Murph are too much alike, & Utah,s play-off opportunities.
    But..... w/ Okur's recent injury: (http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wir...to_six_months/)
    and the fact that Boozer will likely leave this summer, I was left wondering, what if....
    Why for Utah?
    Murph fills Okur's role in the offense untill he is 100% healthy. Murph's expiring, along w/ AK47's gives Utah a great start at rebuilding a core around D.Williams going forward. Utah has NY's #9 pick, & is we did a deal centered around a S&T Boozer for Murph & #10, Utah would have some very good options & future cap to rebuild around. Besides, Mipsap is their PF of the future, not CB. Utah (& Boozer) would likely both look for a S&T & we seem to be able to offer a decent deal w/ relativeness to Utah's needs.
    Why for IN?
    We get pt. 2 of the Dynamic Dou! C.Booxer adds toughness, scoring & a true "#2" option to the team, & would be an ideal fit next to Roy, IMO. The deal could be altered &/or expanded, as Foster could also add interest to Utah. Not sure if we could keep #10 & still land CB, but if we could (Murph/Foster/#40, future 1st for resigned C.Boozer/(Koufos?)) then we would be in a place to look at PG (Bledsoe), SG (Henery), or trade down (Miami/ Minn?) & pick up assets.

Thoughts?
    Two MAJOR problems with this:

1. Boozer would have to agree to come to Indiana and not a more preferable (winning) situation.

2. The ONLY way #1 gets satisfied is if the Pacers were willing to overpay signficantly (Max Contract) the market.

The second bullet is the true deal breaker because there is no way that the Pacers commit to a $100mm deal for an aging warrior who likely is nearing the end of a tremendous career when we are staring at a lockout and a new economic climate in another year.

I cant see the Pacers taking on too much salary anytime soon unless they feel they can get a cornerstone player signed at a reasonable cost. Boozer won't fit in their cost structure.