Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dahntay Jones as our PG

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Dahntay Jones as our PG

Call me crazy but I was re-watching the Wizards-Pacers game from last week and noticed how often DJones brought the ball up the court in just trying to be aggressive and thought he did pretty well. My question is this: What do you think about moving Dahntay to PG for extended stretches?

1. Good ball handler
    2. Strong as an ox compared to other PGs
    3. Tall for a PG
    4. Great defensively (gets another good defender on the court at the same time).
    5. Very good at drive and kick
    6. Dahntay, Rush, Granger, Murphy, and Hibbert gives us a bigger, better rebounding and defensive team.

I would make this decision early before the summer sessions truly begin and have him work almost exclusively on his long-range shooting and dribbling this off-season.

I think it could be the best option we have as a cheap alternative to our PG situation. Plus it focuses on developing players that are going to be here. Does Price start and Dahntay back up? Just a thought. Give me your thoughts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Dahntay Jones as our PG

Also, two more thoughts on this...

7. He feeds the post well
    8. He himself is excellent at posting up, especially against smaller PGs

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

you asked for it: CRAZY

all jokes aside - DJones is not fit to play against all the PGs - he can match up well with some and with others i think that he isn't fast enough...no?

Besides that - there isnt a way for DJ to get any love at the PG position till he learns to shoot the 3 pointer - and that is not his game - which in turn would mean you would be trying to force a square in a round hole or vice versa - we need PG solution from outside of this roster - how? I don't know - I'm not the one in charge nor do I have time to be an armchair GM.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I understand where you are coming from, but I'm firmly in belli's camp here. I think it would be a bad idea for all the reasons he listed.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I think it would be worth a look. What he may be lacking in shooting, he may more than make up for in defense and bringing toughness to the team.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Mood

I would say having Dahntay running the point would be a last-ditch effort for added defense towards the end of a game or something.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Only as a last resort, Price should get the nod before Dahntay.

Hasn't Dunleavy been used to bring up the ball as well? He's got the BB IQ, not saying Dahntay doesn't, to get others involved and can shoot the 3. Doesn't have the "D" Dahntay has. I just can't see Bird nor his boy Jimmy ever buying into idea of either being used at PG. I'd love to have a BIG PG, but I don't ever see this as a possibility. I'm one of those that don't like trying to re-make a player into something they aren't.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had a long-winded reply that I suspect was only funny in my own mind. Mercifully I have spared you all that pain.

Isiah tried this with Jalen, despite Jalen having the offensive scoring skills to perhaps entertain it briefly. Fail.

Dahntay, however, is a special combination of skills that got both TJ and Dahntay benched for extended periods this year. Both generally are ball dominators who lack much decision making ability once they get into traffic who cannot hit threes. Both are defensive risks when played at the point, TJ because he is not tall enough to provide perimeter defense, Dahntay because he is not quite quick enough to stay in front of a lot pgs and would get into foul trouble quickly due to his tendency to have a "hands on" approach to defense.

Other than the atrocity he would be defensively, Dunleavy would be my choice as a pg in a pinch of players who are not pgs by trade and should not be used as such in general.

I just truly hope that we find two more pgs over the summer to replace the walking Watson and hopefully the traded TJ (which I doubt happens). Price is not ready to handle the position alone. It would force O'B to play him more though!

So this way Dahntay can split time between the Power Forward and the Point Guard. Sweet.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Let me say first, I love Dahntay..

However..

if he played point, no one else would ever touch the ball.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Great replies everyone. This is not something I am necessarily advocating... it is just something to consider. I obviously would only play him at PG for stretches and would not rely on him for starter minutes.

I think we could get Dahntay away from his ball domination tendencies if he knows his role is to be a facilitator. I am not trying to teach an old dog new tricks, but when has he ever been asked to distribute the ball? He has always played shooting guard and that is how he knows how to score, so that is what he has always done.

I also didn't think that Dahntay was that slow. Obviously he is not as quick as some of the quicker PG's, but nobody is. They would have a harder time going around Dahntay because he is alot bigger than some of the PGs who play defense against them, which would hedge their extra quickness some. I am thinking about this from a perspective of defense and toughness, which is something I know our coaching staff does not prioritize and would never consider a move like this. I just thought this to be more of an original thought (maybe for good reason), and it would liven up thread discussions other than the CIB and draft.

Unlike Brad8888, I like Jones defending PGs. It's an interesting idea, providing he'd be paired with a play-making/ball-handling wing. Here I agree with Brad8888, the best option is Dunleavy Jr... but even though it's the best possible for the Pacers, I don't think it's nearly good enough to make this work.

Jones as a full-time PG scares me. He'd be a poor man's Royal Ivey. My opinion is the opposite, I'd like Jones to touch the ball as little as possible in my offence.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

I think this would be something good to try here and there, but if Dahntay doesn't spread the floor to JOB's likings as a wingman, I don't think he'd consider putting Dahntay at PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this would be something good to try here and there, but if Dahntay doesn't spread the floor to JOB's likings as a wingman, I don't think he'd consider putting Dahntay at PG.
    Obviously according to JOB, it's much more important that the PF and Center spread the floor than the PG..

I hate this SG into PG stuff..but if we're going to be dumb enough to go into the season with Just Price as our only true PG, I'd rather try Brandon out as the PG. His handles aren't great, but he's a good passer.
    Last edited by Sookie; 04-21-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Obviously according to JOB, it's much more important that the PF and Center spread the floor than the PG..
    Obviously JOB doesn't know how to coach.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

no thanks

23. The Following User Says Thank You to IUfan4life For This Useful Post:

I don't like the idea of power forwards playing point guard....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I haven't read through this at all yet, but something I really liked (that I've been itching to mention) is something that they did at the end of the season was post D Jones up. Loved it, he punished guys, got to the line scored at a very high level. So, no not a PG, not a PF, but yes a good physical wing defender that you utilize in the low post offensive often imo. I think this limits his perimeter offensive problems and exploits his strengths. Absolutely no reason this can't work just because D Jones isn't a "front court" player. I think D Jones could take about any 2 guard this side of DWade off of the low block. He's quick and strong and explodes to that basket, tough cover.

I'd play him at two guard backing up BRush almost exclusive. That gives you about the right amount of minutes for each player, the right position for both players with the right match ups, 48 minutes of good defense from that position. Nice ying and yang of outside (BRush) and inside (D Jones) that would make it difficult for at team to cover. Now I'll read the rest of the thread and read that this was likely already covered.

I guess in summary, I'd use DJones as a back up/low post shooting guard, if that makes any sense.

Trouble is you'd have to call his number often as part of the offense for it to work.
    Last edited by Speed; 04-21-2010 at 02:14 PM.

DJ can guard most of the PG's in the NBA, but I don't him bringing up. the ball. I don't think he can run an offense. If you don't like TJ as a point DJ would be a slower and shoot first.
    I am not for using SG/SF to play the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    So this way Dahntay can split time between the Power Forward and the Point Guard. Sweet.

Cough choke cough. Nice!

Dahntay Jones as our PG...

Pacers being as talented as the Thunder...

WHERE THE HELL AM I?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

When we played the Clips early in the season, Baron Davis was tearing us up. Finally DJones was brought in to guard him. That decision granted us the win. If the off-guard is small I am all for putting Price on him and let DJones give the Pauls, Williams, and Parkers fits.

But unless Dunleavy becomes that Point-Forward he needs to be, then I say no way.

To be honest with you guys I think D jones is really under utilized on the Pacers.
    As far as him playing some point I think it would be a very nice change of pace for the Pacers. It defiantly would keep teams from getting into a offensively flow but it could back fire and prevent us from moving the ball effectively as well. I would use him with set plays for Hibbert and just keep pounding the ball down low. If the double team comes on Hibbert then I trust him to hit the open man.

This is basically what we did with Marquis Daniels. I think Quis has a better passing ability but he also was a poor 3 point shooter like Jones is.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

maybe defensively (look what he did to CP3 in last year's playoffs), but definitely not offensively.