Thread: Tayshaun Prince

Default Tayshaun Prince

The Pacers very much remind me of the Pacers team prior to the trade with the Sonics that brought in Derrick McKey. That trade in favor of defense changed the franchise, and I wonder if we'd be willing to make such a move now. If so, I'd really like it if we made a move for Tayshaun Prince. I think a player of his defensive capability would make a huge difference. Plus, he brings championship experience to our locker room. Thoughts?

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tayshaun Prince

According to Sham Sports his contract runs out at the end of the upcoming season, so if we keep our expirings, we'll have cash to offer him. Personally, I'd pass as I've never thought he was that good, plus SF is the least of our needs.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers very much remind me of the Pacers team prior to the trade with the Sonics that brought in Derrick McKey. That trade in favor of defense changed the franchise, and I wonder if we'd be willing to make such a move now. If so, I'd really like it if we made a move for Tayshaun Prince. I think a player of his defensive capability would make a huge difference. Plus, he brings championship experience to our locker room. Thoughts?
    Isn't BRush our version of Derrick McKey?

IMHO.....my guess is that if there is a Player that we trade our Expiring Contract for from the Pistons....it's Rip for Dunleavy ( who would be bought out ). The Pistons are in rebuild mode ( while trying their best to get back to the Playoffs as soon as possible ) and IMHO wouldn't mind trying to move the biggest long-term contract that they have.

KStat would have to offer some insight into this....but I wouldn't be surprised if Prince or Rip are shopped heavily this offseason. I love them as Players....but they just seem out of Place with this current roster of Piston Players.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-20-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Prince had a monster last 3 months of the season...the Pistons will be looking to move him simply because they need some more pieces to build around. Ideally, I'd want a mid-late lotto pick in exchange, something in the 9-15 range.

He's still got a ton left in the tank. He's just wasted on our roster now.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-20-2010 at 07:24 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Prince had a monster last 3 months of the season...the Pistons will be looking to move him simply because they need some more pieces to build around. Ideally, I'd want a mid-late lotto pick in exchange, something in the 9-15 range.

He's still got a ton left in the tank. He's just wasted on our roster now.
    Pfft. Until he gives up "defense" and "effort" for 3 pointers, I'm not interested.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

I like Prince (though when I paid attention to him he looked like a shell of his former self this season), but if we have him and Danny, who plays the 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I like Prince (though when I paid attention to him he looked like a shell of his former self this season), but if we have him and Danny, who plays the 2?
    You mean the 3?

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    You mean the 3?
    They're both 3's. So who plays the 2?

Xavier Henry!

Duh. Evan Turner.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Didn't Prince have back problems or something that made him miss a portion of the season?

Regardless, no thanks. I like our SF, and we already have an expensive backup SF.

No need helping the Pistons either, they're already in a pickle seeing that their most expensive players both play SG, and arguably their most talented player is a scoring PG. Pretty sure they're draft a PF

I like Prince.
    I like Prince, too. Purple Rain...1999...

Oh...wait...I thought you meant "His Purple Majesty"...or "the Artist formerly known as..."

My bad.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's going to take a lot more than Tayshaun Prince to turn this team around.

Mood

I dunno...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I dunno...
    I'll be sending you my therapy bills.....
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Does Prince have anything left in the tank? The Pistons have been a pretty poisonous situation last couple of years, a change of scenery might do him some good.

In light of the fact that IMHO people grossly overvalue draft picks, I'd gladly trade next years pick for him (the 2011 draft), which should be somewhere in the 9-18 range, I'd guess. Plus we could offer the Pistons a contract of the same length in return.

So Dunleavy + 2011 pick (~Top 8 protected) for Tayshaun? Pistons would probably take that, if anything we're getting fleeced, although like I said I'm pretty low on the value of draft picks.

Re: who plays 2 vs who plays 3, a better way to phrase that question is who guards the 2 vs who guards the three. I haven't seen Prince play lately, but can he match up against the 2 guards in the East - Wade, Pierce, Carter, etc? Seems there's a trend for larger 2 guards lately. And I think there'd be a huge benefit to letting Tay guard the teams top perimeter defender and giving Granger a breather. They might work well together.

Health is obviously an issue, our training staff would have to take a look at him. But in my experience injury issues seem much bigger when a team has a terrible locker room situation and isn't in the run for the playoffs like the Pistons last couple of years - players take a few extra games off here and there.

I'd guess we'd also have to feel pretty confident he'd re-sign with us to give up a draft pick. Maybe Pistons could work out an extension before the trade, or we could have one ready to go right after (is that legal)? In short there's a few question marks, but I'm intrigued enough to look at it.

No way Dumars deals Tayshaun for a future pick. He has more value than that.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's in the same boat as Troy Murphy -- a decent player with an attractive expiring contract. I'd expect any offers for Prince to be on par with what we've allegedly been offered for Troy -- a so-so prospect or mid-to-late 1st round pick.
    Last edited by Lance George; 04-21-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

if we had tayshaun, he and danny are more likely to be playing 3/4 than 2/3.

Ideally, I'd want a mid-late lotto pick in exchange, something in the 9-15 range.
    No way Dumars deals Tayshaun for a future pick. He has more value than that.
    ??

You really think the one-year difference is that big? You go from "Ideally" to "No way" depending on whether its 2010 or 2011?

Actually, yeah I think it is. GMs of rebuilding teams dont want to wait a year unless they are getting something better out of it.

If it were unprotected, sure. But Indiana wouldnt do that. It makes no sense to deal him for a pick lower than 8th next year (or maybe even not next year) when he can easily get a pick in the same area this year.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Isn't he a liitle past his prime, no thanks. He is not the savoir. I still have a grudge, anyway.

I don't think Tayshaun has much to offer the Pacers at this stage in his career. Not that he's over the hill, but rather we have atleast 3 decent defensive players who could easily do what Tayshaun does given a renewed dedication to defense: Granger, hibber and Hansborough. You can even add Dahntay to that mix.

So, no. I just doesn't make sense for the Pacers to make a play for him, not unless they're going to shift Granger to PF, Dunleavey to SG and Tayshaune to SF. But then you've left Murphy and Hansborough out in the cold. Doesn't make much sense...

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    I don't think Tayshaun has much to offer the Pacers at this stage in his career. Not that he's over the hill, but rather we have atleast 3 decent defensive players who could easily do what Tayshaun does given a renewed dedication to defense: Granger, hibber and Hansborough. You can even add Dahntay to that mix.

So, no. I just doesn't make sense for the Pacers to make a play for him, not unless they're going to shift Granger to PF, Dunleavey to SG and Tayshaune to SF. But then you've left Murphy and Hansborough out in the cold. Doesn't make much sense...
    If we made the move someone mentioned earlier where we gave up Dunleavy + Pick for Prince, it would make perfect sense.

Rush and Granger with Prince being the primary backup. When Granger slides to 4 Prince plays the 3. Dahntay gets minutes backing up Rush. Defensively and offensively solid wing rotation. Fix our problems at PG (which would be a lot harder to do given we just got rid of our pick in this scenario) and we'd be a playoff team WITH JOb

Besides, What? Prince is a completely different type of defender than Hibbert or Hans. Different position.