Thread: RealGM: Pacers talking points

Default RealGM: Pacers talking points

http://pacers.realgm.com/articles/18...ottery_&_more/

With another season in the books, Chris Reina sat down with Andrew Perna for a Pacers edition of 'Talking Points'.

CR: Will Danny Granger ever be good enough to be the best player on a team that gets out of the first round or is he in that third tier behind someone like Joe Johnson?

Granger can be the best player on a playoff contender, but heíd need a solid supporting cast that includes two or three players that are just a touch behind him. All and all, the example of Joe Johnson and the Hawks is as close to perfect as youíll get. Iíd take Johnson over Granger, but having players that resembled Josh Smith, Al Horford, Mike Bibby and Jamal Crawford would do wonders for Grangerís stock.

If you look at Indianaís roster, youíd have to compare Johnsonís supporting cast to a group that includes Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Brandon Rush and Roy Hibbert. Thatís not a fair comparison for either side at this point.

CR: Why have the Pacers dropped from 18th in offensive efficiency in 08-09 to 26th this season?

There are a few reasons for the drop, one being the play of Granger. His numbers dropped across the board, including his Offensive Rating (from 114 to 108) and his True Shooting % (from 51.8 to 49.8) and he missed 20 games.
    Indiana started to play better when Granger got healthy down the stretch and the effectiveness trickled down, but overall the offense wasnít nearly as potent, which is unfortunate because they did get a touch better defensively. They resembled a stick in the mud over the last four seasons. They move a little bit here and there, but the current roster isnít going to free itself from the sludge.

The variance in their win total is just four over the last four seasons and theyíve finished ninth (three times) and tenth in the conference since making their last playoff appearance in 2006.

Itís also worth noting that coach Jim OíBrien, who is bulletproof for whatever reason, doesnít have a history of leading a young center like Roy Hibbert. Perhaps he isnít using the Georgetown big man effectively, which is hurting the teamís overall output. These are the centers OíBrien coached prior landing in Indiana: Tony Battie, Mark Blount, Vitaly Potapenko, Mark Bryant, Mikki Moore, Bruno Sundov, Raef LaFrentz, Chris Mihm, Kendrick Perkins, Samuel Dalembert and Marc Jackson.

Remember, both Perkins and Dalembert werenít established yet and they grew when OíBrien left.

CR: Which point guard that got away would you rather still have, Jerryd Bayless or Jarrett Jack?

This one is very tough, but Jerryd Bayless is the right answer. For one, I wanted them to take Bayless back in 2008 and wasnít thrilled when they dealt him to Portland on Draft Night. In addition, the Pacers are clearly focusing on the future and having a young point guard like Bayless is a greater asset than a veteran like Jack.

With that said, I think the Pacers would have easily won a handful more games with Jack this season. He isnít a long-term solution as a starter for any team, but heís a stable presence and youíre never going to dip too high or too low with him.

The Pacers havenít been stable at point guard since the first couple seasons of Jamaal Tinsleyís career, which means the position has been in flux for around six years.

CR: Are there any players in the upcoming draft that you specifically would not want the Pacers to target?

At this point in the process there isnít any one player that Iíd like the Pacers to target or not target, but I think they should focus on the paint and point guard and avoid taking a wing. They have Rush, Granger, Dahntay Jones and Dunleavy currently, which is an above-average quartet when everyone is healthy.

It might sound like beating a dead horse, but Iím glad Kyle Singler decided to return to Duke. He just seemed like a guy Larry Bird might target, whether or not thatís buying too much into unfounded stereotypes.

CR: What are the single biggest positive and negative takeaways from the 09-10 season?

Letís start with the biggest negative and work towards a brighter outlook.

The team has to be disappointed that no real growth was made as a team. Sometimes you have to take a few steps back to make a huge step forward and the Pacers remain marred in the same category. I am by no means saying the Indiana shouldnít have played out the schedule strongly (they won 10 of their final 14 games), but in todayís NBA you often need to be absolutely horrible for a season or two to complete the rebuilding process. Four consecutive seasons of 33 or so wins isnít good, but it isnít horrible either.

While Iím still not confident in OíBrienís abilities to maximize Hibbertís talents, the center made a pretty significant jump in his second professional season. He finished among the league leaders in total blocks, remained durable and showed flashes of improvement on both ends of the floor. Heís also gotten better at using both hands.
    His footwork and overall agility need improvement, something thatís been said for several years, but heís going to be at the very least a valuable commodity in the NBA as the traditional center continues to inch closer to extinction.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: RealGM: Pacers talking points

I give most of our posters on this board more credibility then Andrew Perna...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually like Andrew Perna. Probably because before I found this site, I posted on RealGM with him before he became a writer. He was just a regular mod who posted a lot over there.

I really don't see much of a difference between him and any other Pacers writer. He may not have as many connections, but when it all comes down to it, its just opinion anyway. I actually agree with most the things in this article.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't see much of a difference between him and any other Pacers writer. He may not have as many connections, but when it all comes down to it, its just opinion anyway. I actually agree with most the things in this article.
    Seconded.
    Last edited by Mourning; 04-22-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: grammar correction
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I give most of our posters on this board more credibility then Andrew Perna...

Is there anything in this column that you disagree with, Gnome? I feel the same about Perna as you, generally, but this one seems pretty decent to me.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

I actually thought the analysis was frighteningly dead on. A lot of writers tend to throw out some conjecture that's a little too subjective, but man, he hit on a LOT of stuff we have all been griping about: Not developing Hibbert, O'Brien's invulnerability, just playing well enough to stay stuck in nuetral and the need for a low post guy (I'm sorry, but I see Psycho-T as more of a complimentary, utility guy in the mold of a Scalabrine/Bonner type) and i thought the Hawks compasision was pretty insightful.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As Perna pieces go, this one is probably his best in recent memory. Ordinarily, though, Perna would do well to just put links in his articles to various posts here that pertain to the various sides of his topic du jour, and then do his own work with that as a basis, or at the very least come here more often than he does, or at least had in the past, and review what has been posted prior to his "coverage" being published to RealGM.

Alternately, he could hire various individuals here who have various analytical strong points or unique abilities to express their passion with respect to various topics to act as ghost writers for him.

If he has any special access as a journalist to make direct contact with the team, he could combine what he would have with the varied expertise of those here with his access and perhaps add more value to his RealGM site because of it.

While I agree a bit with Gnome that I've never been impressed with Perna, he is dead on here. When less-than-average national writers nail exactly what is wrong with your team, that's a problem.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

You could pretty much say Johnson has been playing along side better players his whole career except maybe one season. Which was the season he first arrived in Atlanta.

He played with Nash in Phoenix.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Is there anything in this column that you disagree with, Gnome?
    Even though this Perna piece feels like it has been regurgitated from another source, I find it hard to disagree with most of what is in this effort. This was probably not the most appropriate place to lob the hatchet that I did. I should have just waited for an example of why I really don't care for his work.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Even though this Perna piece feels like it has been regurgitated from another source, I find it hard to disagree with most of what is in this effort. This was probably not the most appropriate place to lob the hatchet that I did. I should have just waited for an example of why I really don't care for his work.
    Wow, love the new look! So, the future's so bright you gotta wear shades, huh?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Wow, love the new look! So, the future's so bright you gotta wear shades, huh?
    Haha, hadn't noticed the avi change of Roaming Gnome! Good for you, RG!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws