Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explain your understanding of the three year plan

Default Explain your understanding of the three year plan

There seems to be a consensus that TPTB have a three year plan they are following. However I keep seeing different references to what the plan is and even to what year we are in. I've looked to see some idea what the plan is and I can't find anything from TPTB. Has Bird or Morway ever specifically said "three year plan"? I have seen references to having many expiring contracts. I'm curious if that is really all the plan is - an acknowledgement that the team has had little to no flexibility until after next season. Is there more to it? Have they been working off a master plan? Or just trying to get back to the playoffs?

I understand that they would not likely come out a detail an exact plan in the media. But considering how many times I've seen it referenced in the media and on forums, I expected to find more from TPTB than I did.

The most common plan I see referenced is that we are building around solid, smart, "NBA ready" draft picks and that when all of the contracts expire we will be able to add a difference making player to that solid core via free agency. I personally don't like that plan. For numerous reasons I do not believe the team will be able to sign a difference maker via free agency. I think that will leave us with a solid team of mediocre players. In the playoffs, but certainly not true contenders. That is obviously better than we have been, but not really where I want to go.

I don't really believe there is what I would call a "plan". I believe they are doing what little they can each year to attempt to make the playoffs. The idea being that eventually they will have more flexibility. IMO that explains the reluctance to draft underclassman, the signings of Watson and Jones, the reliance on mediocre veterans, and the resigning of Foster. Those moves do not match what my idea of the three year plan would have been. My version would have been to take more chances in the draft. To try to acquire a difference maker - a double, triple, or home run instead of singles. To more actively try to developed the younger guys. Then use the flexibility of the expirings to acquire the role players that we have been drafting. The primary example of this IMO is drafting Tyler and passing on Holiday. The two players that I wanted the Pacers to take were Jennings and Holiday. I felt certain that at least one of them would be there. I also felt certain that Bird would pass on either because they weren't deemed "NBA ready"........

I'm starting to ramble. My questions are:

Has TPTB ever specifically mentioned a three year plan?

What do you believe the three year actually is?

Do you feel confident we are where we should be within the plan as you understand it?

How would you know we weren't where we should be or that it isn't going to pan out how you understand it?

Default Re: Explain your understanding of the three year plan

Try to make the playoffs to give our guys playoff seasoning (and make money and bring more fans back), keep drafting solid players in the mid 1st round, then in 2011 acquire significant piece(s) to push for serious contention starting in 11-12.

To be Boston2.0, with Danny Granger as Paul Pierce, Chris Bosh as KG, and probably Ray Allen as Ray Allen.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Marriage Counselling

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be Boston2.0, with Danny Granger as Paul Pierce, Chris Bosh as KG, and probably Ray Allen as Ray Allen.
    I kind of agree with this, except w/ 2-3 more years of stockpiling young players and draft picks, until we dump a bunch of them off for an aging KG-type player to go with Danny.

Honestly I don't see how we'd get another top-notch player. We need to accumulate a lot of "promising" youngins, and then unload them. They'll likely all have lengthy NBA careers that peak at "Good, Nearly Very Good" while we get 2-4 years of an aging all-star. . . hopefully.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    I kind of agree with this, except w/ 2-3 more years of stockpiling young players and draft picks, until we dump a bunch of them off for an aging KG-type player to go with Danny.

Honestly I don't see how we'd get another top-notch player. We need to accumulate a lot of "promising" youngins, and then unload them. They'll likely all have lengthy NBA careers that peak at "Good, Nearly Very Good" while we get 2-4 years of an aging all-star. . . hopefully.

At the rate we're going Danny will be the aging KG-type player in your scenario and the "plan" then will be to get a player in his prime to go beside him.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A proclamation that we suck, that we are aware that we suck, and the FO wanted to buy some time before the fanbase got really restless. Before it's all said and done, we are going to be hearing about this "three year plan" for five or six years.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    A proclamation that we suck, that we are aware that we suck, and the FO wanted to buy some time before the fanbase got really restless. Before it's all said and done, we are going to be hearing about this "three year plan" for five or six years.
    I see it like Hicks sees it. If that is the case, the change at the end of the plan will be dramatic with the introduction of 1-2 high caliber players.

If it doesn't happen, your complaints will be well taken. Until then, they seem a little premature at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    At the rate we're going Danny will be the aging KG-type player in your scenario and the "plan" then will be to get a player in his prime to go beside him.
    Danny's 26. If I were him, I wouldn't count on playing on a really good team anytime before 30. If he's thinking long-term, he should use this next bunch of seasons to really hone his skills as a leader and as a go-to scorer, so that he's ready once he gets his shot to be the hero.

And really, if Danny can't keep his focus through several more bad seasons, then he's probably not the guy to lead us through the good ones. I have faith in him, though.

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    I see it like Hicks sees it. If that is the case, the change at the end of the plan will be dramatic with the introduction of 1-2 high caliber players.

If it doesn't happen, your complaints will be well taken. Until then, they seem a little premature at best.
    It was a comment made in jest. I actually subscribe to Hicks' line of thinking on this one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

How are we going to acquire significant pieces in 2011?

Make it to this year of finally being able to shake the albatross contracts off our necks. Up to this point, everything has been pretty reactive. They are now in a better position to be proactive about shaping the team. That's what I think they're targeting during this 3 yr period.

Mood

Year 1. Collect Players
    Year 2. ??????
    Year 3. Profit

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

My understanding of the 3 year plan is this:

- Make a concerted effort to return to the Playoffs with the Players that we have on hand
    - Build Team Chemistry and familiarity among a group of young core Players through Free Agency and the Draft. The idea was to build around Granger. It started with the drafting of BRush and Hibbert....then with the drafting of Hansbrough and Price and included the signing of Inferno. It will continue with whoever we draft in 2010-2011 and 2011-2012.
    - Do our very best to maintain as much Salary Cap flexibility at the start of the 2011-2012 season. This means that the FO should do their very best to not sign or acquire ( through Trades ) Players beyond the 2010-2011 seasons that are not considered part of the future Core of Players. Also, it will likely mean that we will most of the Big4 Contracts expire.

The end result ( I'd hope ) by the start of the 2011-2012 season would have meant that the Pacers would have had a core of 8 young Players ( Granger/BRush/Inferno/AJ/Hansbrough/Hibbert and whoever we draft in 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 ) and a copious amount of SalaryCap Space to sign a 9th Player to round out our primary 9-man rotation for the immediate future. This would have also allowed us to fill out the roster with whatever other Players we wanted and still have enough Cap Flexibility for the next 3-4 seasons.

So far, I think that TPTB have pretty much stuck to the plan and really do their best to resist the Temptation to make a stupid move while letting 3 of the Big 4 Contracts expire. Unfortunately, I think that because we failed to move Murphy before the Trade Deadline for an Expiring Contract....it will mean that we will likely deviate from this plan and acquire ( through some trade ) some longer-term contracts in an effort to shore up the Team with some experience.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

A lot of questions, I will do my best.

I remember Bird mentioning something about a three year plan about a year or so ago, I believe. But he was also trying to get the team good enough to make the playoffs. I think we might of been able to get into the playoffs this year (8th seed) if Foster, Hansbourgh, and Danny would have healthy all year. Plus Dun had a lot more trouble coming back from his knee. If not for all these factors and we very well could have made it in this year.

I have to believe that TPTB are following somekind plan that is has a lot to do with moving or let the contracts of Murph, Dun, Foster, & Ford come off the books. We haven't been able to sign an great free agents because of our commitment to the above players. The hope is we can move one or more of these deals this summer. The worst case is we wait another season for he deals to expire.

We are trying to get under he cap and get Danny an All Star caliber player to team up with, that to me is the plan.

I guess in the end I have to trust Bird and the rest of that TPTB. If not I should find another team to follow. But I love the Pacers and I am commited to seeing them turn this around.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Hicks got it right, I think.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I like your thinking, but who is our Doc Rivers and our Rajon Rondo?

I still like Byron Scott, maybe he could lure CP3 too.

I thought of two things when the phrase "3 Year Plan" comes up-

1. Do we plan on having the same coach AFTER this three year plan? I think this is extremely important. We have a coach that runs a specific type of offense. If we draft players based on that style of play alone and he leaves/is fired, then we basically have to start over again.

2. Free agency. I do not believe a major, franchise changing star will come to this team as a free agent. I'm worried we may have to overpay 2nd tier stars instead. By waiting these 3 years (or longer), we have put a lot of pressure on ourselves to ace the free agency period in 2011. I understand we had little choice, but I think the plan will have to be extended.

Basically I think the 3 year plan was code for "please wait with us until our bad contracts are up"

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    Basically I think the 3 year plan was code for "please wait with us until our bad contracts are up"
    That's a big part of it, but there's more to it. The plan is/was developing the few players on the roster now who are part of the future.

That's why the conflict between "Win-now-with-Murphy" versus "The-kids-are-alright" has been so puzzling and frustrating.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Year 1. Collect Players
    Year 2. ??????
    Year 3. Profit
    YES!!!

I don't pay attention to the three year plan, so I don't care about it.

All I know is the past 2 or three seasons were to set-up for the expiring contracts of 2011. So until after that summer, I don't have too much to base any criticism on. hate to say it, but lets see how things look about 18 months from now.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The three year plan is merely public-speak for "well, so far the moves we've made haven't been good enough (and we don't know what we are doing), so we need the public and our boss to give us more time to figure it out as we go."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

If two years from now the Pacers aren't at least a 46-50 win team then yes Bird needs to be fired.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If two years from now the Pacers aren't at least a 46-50 win team then yes Bird needs to be fired.
    So its a five-plus year plan?

Because I don't believe 46-50 wins should be the end goal.

They've got that "61 WINS! WOOT!" banner up there in the rafters. They need to match or beat that.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    So its a five-plus year plan?

Because I don't believe 46-50 wins should be the end goal.

They've got that "61 WINS! WOOT!" banner up there in the rafters. They need to match or beat that.

It is all about the summer of 2011 and or the trades that can be made with expiring contracts prior to that summer

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post: