Chicago White Sox
    Football
    Richard M. Daley

John Kass

12:01 a.m. CDT, April 9, 2010

* EmailE-mail
    * printPrint
    * increase text size decrease text size Text Size

Opening day at the ballpark. Father and child. The special memories will last a lifetime.

Unfortunately, so will the memory related to me by a fellow lifelong White Sox fan, Dr. Paul Nemeth.

He took his 6-year-old son to Sox Park on Opening Day to see Mark Buehrle pitch and defeat the Cleveland Indians.

This was an Opening Day that Nemeth and his son will never forget. Ever.

"I guess I'm just an old-fashioned kind of guy," said Nemeth, who at 45 isn't exactly a geezer.

Nemeth was born and raised in Sox country, near Archer Avenue and Midway Airport. As an emergency room doctor, he works a lot of hours. But he took a day off from the hospital and they sat in the upper deck, above third base, in Section 544.

They were having a great time. Who wouldn't? He's always loved the Sox and his son loves the Sox too, as would any good, properly raised child.

"He knows all the players' names," said Nemeth. "He can really follow the action now."

And that's the problem. The action.

One thing about taking little boys to the game is that little boys have to go to the restroom at the wrong time. When my sons were that age, every time they had to go, Frank Thomas or Paulie Konerko would hit a home run.

On Monday, Nemeth's son had to go, and his father took him to the nearest restroom. They stood in line for the first urinal next to a row of stalls.

As they waited, Nemeth said, he noticed noises coming from the last stall. A man's legs — clad in blue jeans and sneakers — were sticking out from under the stall door.

"The toes were pointing up," said Nemeth. "The legs were shaking and quivering. From a visual standpoint, all you had to see was the legs quivering to know something was going on."

As a trained physician, he had an idea what was happening in there, but he worried it might have been something else.

"It was bizarre. It caught the attention of a lot of people. I tried to turn my boy's attention away from it, then I thought, ‘Is someone having a seizure?'

"So I kicked the door, just to get a reaction. I just wanted to make sure nobody was dying in there. That's when I heard a woman's voice yell, ‘HEY, STOP!' Something was going on and I had interrupted."

Moments later, the stall door opened, and a tall, thin, blond man exited. The tall man held his arms up in triumph.

"His arms were straight up, like in victory," Nemeth said. "Everybody was hooting and hollering and giving high-fives."

Then a second person left the stall, someone Nemeth described as apparently female, "scurrying" out of the restroom with a shirt or coat over her head.

"It was disgusting. Probably the most disgusting thing was the encouragement this guy received from the other guys in the bathroom. You can't even go to a baseball game anymore without being subjected to this?"

His son began asking questions. Nemeth told him not to worry about it. They finished their business and got out of there.

He went up to a Sox employee and told her about it. By then, the offending couple were long gone.

"I know that the White Sox have no control of it," Nemeth said. "There's nothing they can do. You can't have security outside each stall."

Perhaps not outside every stall. But they'll have security — off-duty cops — watching every restroom. Bet on it.

That's because two big-time Sox fans, guys who can actually name great players of the past, read the Tribune and won't let it happen again. Their names are Mayor Richard Daley and Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

They're parents. And so are many Sox players.

Team spokesman Scott Reifert, who is also a father, confirmed that Nemeth spoke to a fan liaison about the incident.

"We want everyone to have a good time at the ballpark, especially little kids," said Reifert. "This is a very rare incident. No one can remember the last time something like this was reported."

The Sox want to apologize and offer Nemeth a chance to bring his son to a "kids day" promotion at Sox Park.

But if the Sox gave him a choice, would he pick a fan-appreciation freebie or more security in the restrooms?

"The security, of course," he said. "Hey, I love the Sox. So do you. But it just made me angry. There were other kids in that restroom. And I never want this to happen to another father, another child."

Nemeth is still a Sox fan. And he'll do the right thing and raise his son to be a Sox fan. He won't scar the boy for life by taking him to Wrigley Field until the child is of the age of reason.

But the Nemeths will have their memories. So will the guy in the restroom stall.

"This guy will talk about this experience for the rest of his life," said Nemeth, sarcastically. "How he did it in the bathroom at a Sox game. What a man."

Not really.

The guy in the stall isn't a man. He's protoplasm in a T-shirt, smelling of beer.

Default Re: Sexual Hijinks in White Sox Park bathroom taint opening day

That is sick and disturbing both in the actual act being committed and the peoples reaction in the restroom. I would have been disgusted

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hehehehhehehe.......you said taint.

Mom?

I always thought Seth was of average height, myself.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always thought Seth was of average height, myself.
    Seth may smell of beer but I have a hard time visualizing him in a t-shirt.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune View Post
    "We want everyone to have a good time at the ballpark
    Everything aside, tell me the tall, thin, blond man didn't have a good time ..............

Yes, sex. Sex between humans. Totally gross. Let's all pinch our noses in disgust.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Yes, sex. Sex between humans. Totally gross. Let's all pinch our noses in disgust.
    Dude, come on. It was a public place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Dude, come on. It was a public place.
    . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude in the article
    You can't even go to a baseball game anymore without being subjected to this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    That is sick and disturbing
    Of course it was inappropriate/illegal, and they should be fined, put in jail, whatever. But it's pretty hard to miss the strain of self-righteous puritanism present in these responses (as well as in the sensationalist tone of the article).

............ it's pretty hard to miss the strain of self-righteous puritanism present in these responses (as well as in the sensationalist tone of the article).
    Agreed.

I would guess that the majority of people on this board have at one time in their lives, in a moment of lust, love, whatever you want to call it - have done something with someone, somewhere that, while perhaps not quite on the level of this particular incident, would draw similar criticism from the masses if it were made public.

I'm sure Conseco Fieldhouse, Lucas Oil Stadium, Victory Field and other places locally have been the site of various 'encounters'. I guess we can't go to those places anymore.

But it's pretty hard to miss the strain of self-righteous puritanism present in these responses (as well as in the sensationalist tone of the article).
    As if your comments aren't self-righteous. They're just veiled feelings of superiority over the 'less enlightened puritan prudes' you seem to think you're an expert at identifying and that you don't hesitate to patronize.

And I appreciate you assuming I'm one of those "Eww, sex is icky and wrong! Let us never speak of it again!" people. I'm really not, and when it comes to my feelings on the matter, you really have no clue.

****ing in a public bathroom is at best inconsiderate and rude. I can look down on them for that without being 'puritan'. Label someone you actually know.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Whoa, Hicks. Not sure I understand all the anger. I highlighted responses by the Nemeth guy and UB as evidence of the self-righteous "disgustedness." Not you.

As for your comment that I'm being self-righteous, well, maybe. I don't really think so, but I'll admit that my perspective may be warped. What signals self-righteousness to me is the delight that Nemeth and UB seem to take in their own disgustedness. Becoming pissed off and annoyed is totally natural—I myself have become angry at some of the obnoxious sex that's inevitable at college campuses. But pinching your nose and acting as if you don't have the slightest clue how these two people could have ended up in the situation they did—as if their actions make them morally despicable, disgusting monsters—is the height of puritan self-righteousness.

I do not think I am being self-righteous because I don't consider myself above the thing I'm inveighing against—it's a type of immaturity, and I'm as guilty of it as anyone. Doesn't make it excusable, though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

lol, looking back I have no idea why I insisted on disgustedness instead of disgust. I really need sleep.

billbradley

having sex in a public place seems to be a fairly common fetish or turn on. saying the guy involved isn't a man is way over the top. but public hanky panky should avoid areas with kids.

cheering for someone getting it in is weird.

Still is disgusting to me. Soup next time you are in a crowded public restoom, where kids are present, imagine a couple having sex in one of the stalls and making enough of a disturbance that everyone in the room notices and if you are's disgusted, then I don't knpow what to say to you.

If that makes me a self-righteous and puritanism. then I say in this case I'll wear that badge with honor

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Seth may smell of beer but I have a hard time visualizing him in a t-shirt.
    You got that backwards.

And it was almost worth having to sit through a crappy Sox game.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

BTW, I don't find it sick at all. It's just sex. I'd say the normal use of that stall at Sox field is probably 100 times more disgusting. Seriously, if that stall had glass windows and you were forced to watch what was going on, which are you going to choose: that couple or the 300 lb dude that just had the Italian beef sandwich and PBR beer?

Now it IS a pretty over the top and therefore annoying PDA though.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    cheering for someone getting it in is weird.
    I'm guessing that you meant to say 'getting it on.

But, I suppose he was getting it in. Maybe you were right all along.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

. . .the strain of self-righteous puritanism present in these responses (as well as in the sensationalist tone of the article).
    That's John Kass at his "finest". The Bob Kravitz of the Chicago news desk.

Usually, his topic of disdain is Mayor Daley. But he's usualy got a topic. And disdain.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    That's John Kass at his "finest". The Bob Kravitz of the Chicago news desk.

Usually, his topic of disdain is Mayor Daley. But he's usualy got a topic. And disdain.
    . . . . and people wonder why the newspaper business is tanking. Too much gets lost in the whole New Media v. Old Media debate, I think, and what gets overlooked is the fact that most newspaper writing now flat-out blows. I mean, this article was written for the Chicago Tribune, and it's a freaking steaming pile of horseshat. The New York Times Sunday Book Review—the one newspaper-related thing that I, as a lit-freak, should hold absolutely holy—is maybe the biggest joke going. That M.Kakutani and J.Wood are our two most "eminent" book reviewers is an insult. (Seriously, those two couldn't read and critique a book if their lives depended on it.)

When editors decided to sacrifice high standards of quality for "entertaining" crap such as the article above—and thus following in the entertaining-over-informative model that works for TV- and radio-news, as well as almost anything on the net—is when they lost the war. Newspapers won't ever sell on that model—it's too easy to flick on the TV, or open the laptop. They have to offer a kind of quality and thoroughness that isn't available elsewhere—that IMO is their one main business advantage. (And employing guys like Kravitz or Kass sure as hell isn't making use of that advantage.)

(Of course part of the problem with this is the fact that most people of my generation—the people who will eventually be staffing the newspapers—don't really care to read. Even within my fellow English majors, it's rare to find someone who's interested in reading as a way of exposing and altering and enlarging the self, of bettering one's imagination. The idea that the works of guys like Milton and Emerson have survived for a reason—because they represent the very apex of human imagination—is more or less foreign. I have yet to meet anyone my age who would read Milton in their spare time. [And a disheartening amount of current professors wouldn't either, dismissing him as a Dead White Male.] So, while I wish newspaper would in the future by and large conform to higher standards of literacy, those who are inheriting them are mostly only literate in the sense that they can read, but very nearly illiterate in the sense that they can imaginatively engage with a poem, or delight in the keen nuances of irony. . . . We're ****ed.)

edit - guess this wasn't the greatest rant to go on inside a thread I've been accused of being self-righteous w/in. (Interesting, by the way, that Hicks has said nothing further about his odd outburst.) But before you think I'm being snobby—because it's almost impossible these days to talk about literature and literacy w/o seeming snobby—think about this: heightened literacy = increased fertility and intensity of imagination, which not only = a better overall cognitive power but also = increased "visionary" ability—the ability to generate solutions, and not just find them. Many of the issues we're saddled with right now will not be resolved by mere problem-solving, by searching for and finding the right solution out of many already extant possibilities. The imagination generates, and the deep engagement with literature has been time-tested as maybe the very best way of nurturing one's imagination. (Possibly because written language is a mostly non-sensuous medium, and the imaginative distance between the medium and the sense-impressions evoked in the mind is the greatest of all art-mediums). If our ability to generate new ideas and solutions falters, our society as a whole is going to continue straight down that drain we're currently circling. Further, a democracy depends greatly on each individual person's ability to think and reason and wisely choose—all of which requires a fertile, engaged imagination. If we continue to devalue deep prolonged reading—and thus devaluing the individual imagination—then 8-year ****bombs like GWB's presidency will continue to haunt us, and eventually become the norm. (And I'm not trying to make this overtly political: both the left and right—especially the left—are guilty when it comes to this act of devaluing.)
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 04-12-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Tribune has been blatantly obnoxious for the past year with sensationalist coverage around all of the political corruption in Illinois. Yes, we've got plenty of corruption. Our last two elected governors were two of the biggest crooks you'll ever encounter (don't worry, each party gets a representative, that's not a "political" statement.)

Anyway, we've cancelled the Tribune again. I thought it might be better since they sold the Cubs and thus the sports page wouldn't be a big advertising section for the below-0.500 baseball team. But if the sports page has improved (and its debatable, their Bears' coverage is even more laughable that their Cubs coverage. Every March the Bears are declared the favorites for the next Super Bowl by the Tribune... althougth the SunTimes gets into that act as well), the legit news section of the paper is even worse.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    BTW, I don't find it sick at all. It's just sex. I'd say the normal use of that stall at Sox field is probably 100 times more disgusting. Seriously, if that stall had glass windows and you were forced to watch what was going on, which are you going to choose: that couple or the 300 lb dude that just had the Italian beef sandwich and PBR beer?

Now it IS a pretty over the top and therefore annoying PDA though.

I really don't think either is gross. I find defecation weirdly fascinating, and even more fascinating in how we're all so hush-hush about it. When my doggy (or I guess my roommate's doggy) goes poo, he has this little dance he does. He can't squat and keep his balance, so he kind of crab-walks around while he goes. I don't know, stuff like that just makes me smile.

I love animals. I should have been a vet.

I think it's 10 times worse when people don't flush there left overs, that's a real visual nightmare.....

I have been to a few public venues and while no prude I don't approve, it's pretty gross both in Hygiene and personal manners, but having said that.... that kid will/could go to a life time of games and never see that again, better chance of winning lotto...

I'm more concerned with, once the woman screamed, did he hang around them few minutes before they opened the door..... because that is more disturbing...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While I don't find sex disgusting, I do find the venue rather disgusting. The more we consider ourselves as just animals the more we accept behavior like this as "awesome".

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post: