Thread: new mock draft, pacers taking Henry

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default new mock draft, pacers taking Henry

www.nbadraft.net

I like it. Before the college season started, Henry was ranked right behind Wall for the top freshman. I think he showed plenty of potential as a freshman, and would look great in a Pacer uniform.

I know that we already have guys that play Henry's position, but who cares. We missed the playoffs again, and we need a lot of help. I would love a quality PG, but we need to take the best available this draft.

Default Re: new mock draft, pacers taking Henry

For all the talk about Bledsoe, they've got him at 29. I don't think he's that bad, but I'm certainly not feeling him in the lottery.

Back on point, I didn't see him much, but I've heard good things about him. Of course I question if Larry would take another freshman, but if we're gonna keep running this ****ty offense I guess we should have guys who can shoot 3's.

[edit] Actually, reading through it more, they've got Hayward going before both Udoh and Bledsoe. Pondexter at 30 is too low, but this draft is crazy deep at SF.
    Last edited by Kegboy; 04-09-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I can see us taking Henry if either Dunleavy or Rush isn't in our long-term plans. That would leave a Danny/Rush/Henry trio of wings, with D. Jones at the 2.

The problem with taking Henry is that it does nothing for our problems at PF and PG. Henry isn't a good ball-handler, and not a good creator, so if he were to see serious minutes, we'd really, really need a PG who can drive and kick, as neither Rush nor Danny are good creators off the dribble.

Speaking of Bledsoe and Henry, anyone else see this draft getting a lot deeper, as more young guys are being advised to come out too early in order to beat the lockout? I think a lot of Freshmen are envisioning a nightmare scenario where the lockout is still going and they miss about six months of paychecks, forcing them to either get loans or find a job or something in the meantime (or head to Europe!).

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can see us taking Henry if either Dunleavy or Rush isn't in our long-term plans. That would leave a Danny/Rush/Henry trio of wings, with D. Jones at the 2.

The problem with taking Henry is that it does nothing for our problems at PF and PG. Henry isn't a good ball-handler, and not a good creator, so if he were to see serious minutes, we'd really, really need a PG who can drive and kick, as neither Rush nor Danny are good creators off the dribble.

Speaking of Bledsoe and Henry, anyone else see this draft getting a lot deeper, as more young guys are being advised to come out too early in order to beat the lockout? I think a lot of Freshmen are envisioning a nightmare scenario where the lockout is still going and they miss about six months of paychecks, forcing them to either get loans or find a job or something in the meantime (or head to Europe!).
    I think this draft will be deep too, and that is a good reason why.

If there is a lockout and it is that bad, as in 6 months +, I can see ALOT of players going to Europe. Not just college kids, but NBA players. It could really cripple the NBA.

pacers taking Henry

Well, I'm glad that's settled. I thought we were going to have to wait until the actual draft.

./
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    I think this draft will be deep too, and that is a good reason why.

If there is a lockout and it is that bad, as in 6 months +, I can see ALOT of players going to Europe. Not just college kids, but NBA players. It could really cripple the NBA.

NBA players can't go to Europe and play, if they are under contract.

Henry seems like he has potential to be good NBA wing player, but it looks like he should stay in college a little longer and work on his handles and face up game. I still feel like we need to go with a BIG in the draft, still feeling Ekpe Udoh for our first round pick.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

It seems like every year around draft time we need to remind people that NBAdraft.net is not the best draft site around.

Draft Express, which is a bit more reputable, has us taking Jan Vesely. Vesely sounds intriguing, a little bit like a bigger Cassipi. A 6'11" guy with above average atleticism and a high motor sounds nice.

It's always nice to see a couple of paragraphs like these about a Euro player.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jan-Vesely-1402/

"Defensively, Vesely is the key to the style of play that head coach Dule Vujosevic likes to employ, as we discussed earlier this week. He often spearheads Partizan’s full-court press and sees minutes at the top of the key in the their triangle formation in the half-court as well, constantly harassing the ball-handler with his terrific size, length and athleticism, putting in a great effort, and coming up with plenty of blocks and steals in the process.

This also gets him in quite a bit of foul trouble, though, as he averages 4.3 fouls a game in the Euroleague, ranking him tops in the entire competition. His lateral quickness can get exposed at times defending players a half a foot or more shorter than him at the small forward position, but it’s not rare at all to see him recover spectacularly and still make a big play from behind. His off-ball defense looks a lot better these days, as its not rare at all to see him step in for a charge, and he doesn’t get lost as much as he once did."
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    It seems like every year around draft time we need to remind people that NBAdraft.net is not the best draft site around.

Draft Express, which is a bit more reputable, has us taking Jan Vesely. Vesely sounds intriguing, a little bit like a bigger Cassipi. A 6'11" guy with above average atleticism and a high motor sounds nice.

It's always nice to see a couple of paragraphs like these about a Euro player.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jan-Vesely-1402/

"Defensively, Vesely is the key to the style of play that head coach Dule Vujosevic likes to employ, as we discussed earlier this week. He often spearheads Partizanís full-court press and sees minutes at the top of the key in the their triangle formation in the half-court as well, constantly harassing the ball-handler with his terrific size, length and athleticism, putting in a great effort, and coming up with plenty of blocks and steals in the process.

This also gets him in quite a bit of foul trouble, though, as he averages 4.3 fouls a game in the Euroleague, ranking him tops in the entire competition. His lateral quickness can get exposed at times defending players a half a foot or more shorter than him at the small forward position, but itís not rare at all to see him recover spectacularly and still make a big play from behind. His off-ball defense looks a lot better these days, as its not rare at all to see him step in for a charge, and he doesnít get lost as much as he once did."
    Keep in mind that DX isn't considering team needs at this point. They probably won't do that until after the lottery, on May 18th.

I know nothing about the guy, but somebody (owl, I think) said he reminded him of Bobby Jones (of Nuggets & Sixers fame), and cordobes agreed in one of these threads somewhere. If true, all I gotta say is that I loves me some Bobby Jones.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is no issue at SG so we shouldn't waste our first round pick on a SG.

Maybe bring in a wingman to play backup SF, but we have 2 good SG players in Brandon and Dahntay.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    [edit] Actually, reading through it more, they've got Hayward going before both Udoh and Bledsoe. Pondexter at 30 is too low, but this draft is crazy deep at SF.
    WHAT!?!

Reality check. And what's weird is NBADraft.net has been the closest to reality all year long. Now they jump the shark???

Hayward probably won't come out, and no way in heck he goes before Udoh. Did these people not see the Baylor-Duke game? That wasn't some surprisingly good effort by Udoh, or Lace Dunn for that matter. That's Udoh, he was a top 15 pick BEFORE he had a kick butt season.

Why the F would someone rated lower than him climb past him with a less impressive season (ahem, Henry, who did almost nothing and appears nowhere near ready to come out).

Poindexter at 30 is about on target to me. Nice shot but very iffy NBA material overall.

Kegboy - I'm surprised by your Bledsoe opinion. I saw him have several games where he looked like a better impact player than Wall. He's quicker off the dribble and appears to have a better long jumper. Wall's got great spins and hops, but Bledsoe's not too shabby.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I don't think that either nbadraft.net or draftexpress.com are projecting the draft picks by what that team will do but instead they are currently using their own draft board. This will probably change after the lottery and once workouts get under way.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    NBA players can't go to Europe and play, if they are under contract.
    I thought that if there was a lockout the players would not get paid. Woudn't that give the players the option to nullify their contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    I thought that if there was a lockout the players would not get paid. Woudn't that give the players the option to nullify their contracts?
    No because the players are willfully entering the lockout. That would be like you or I declining to go to work because our demands weren't being met, and then expecting to still get a check at the end of the week.

If things worked like you thought, then the NBPA could just enter into a lockout and all players could become free agents.

Doesn't work that way.
    Grown Man Ball

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Take a big with our lottery pick (Udoh, Monroe, Vesley, etc.) and then package #40 and Rush to move into the middle of the 1st round and take either Bledsoe or Henry or, if neither are available, the criminally underrated James Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Take a big with our lottery pick (Udoh, Monroe, Vesley, etc.) and then package #40 and Rush to move into the middle of the 1st round and take either Bledsoe or Henry or, if neither are available, the criminally underrated James Anderson.

Works for me or trade down for Miami's two firsts.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Kegboy - I'm surprised by your Bledsoe opinion. I saw him have several games where he looked like a better impact player than Wall. He's quicker off the dribble and appears to have a better long jumper. Wall's got great spins and hops, but Bledsoe's not too shabby.
    You may very well be right. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't pay much attention to Kansas or Kentucky this year. I saw enough of them to know they weren't going to do jack-**** in the tournament and left it at that.

From what I saw, Bledsoe's instincts just didn't impress me. That said, I was surprised at just how negative the latest Draft Express scouting report was on him.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Eric-Bledsoe-5786/
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    WHAT!?!

Reality check. And what's weird is NBADraft.net has been the closest to reality all year long. Now they jump the shark???.
    Seriously? I don't see how you can campaign against Chad Ford and then proceed to sing the praises of a consistently puzzling NBADraft.net. They almost always have three or four players in an inexplicable position.

I don't know a lot about Henry, but I do like us taking Crawford with the 40th pick. It would make me wonder why we took Henry with our lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Speaking of Bledsoe and Henry, anyone else see this draft getting a lot deeper, as more young guys are being advised to come out too early
    I think this draft is wider than it is deep.

What I mean is, I see a number of guys who just seem to be the same. Not difference makers, but decent players. Put their pictures on a wall, throw a dart, and you are going to hit a player that brings about the same things as the ones you missed. Based on the position they play, that is.

I'm just not that enthused about this crop of players.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

i actually really liked henry coming into this season, but from the kansas games i saw this year i was not very impressed... i thought he had a better all around game

that said i know he was a freshman on a deep kansas team, im sure he wasnt able to fully showcase his skillset but i want more than a jump shooter whos average defensively from the starting 2 position

he seems to have good size but doesnt seem to take great advantage of it and brandon rush is a much better defender. and im no brandon rush fan. id almost rather have lance stephenson if lance wasnt such an ***

that said i could be completely wrong about xavier. i dont think he was able to show what hes really capable of on kansas