Thread: What is Roy Hibbert's value around the NBA?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What is Roy Hibbert's value around the NBA?

There's a lot of talk on here about what Rush is, or what we could realistically fetch for our expiring contracts, but my question here is this, Roy is a 23 year old legit seven foot center averaging 11 ppg 6 rpg 1.5 bpg and shooting roughly 50% from the field and he is doing it in 25 mpg. What kind of value would the other NBA front offices place on him? That is the simple question. If the Pacers put Roy on the block and said, what will you give us? What sort of offeres would we receive?

Not saying we should trade him, just wanting to have an honest discussion about the big fella. IMO, he's already worth the 17th pick we spent on him even if he never progressed past this point, but I don't see that being the case.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: What is Roy Hibbert's value around the NBA?

Good question, I have no idea. I will say that Roy should have longevity too, if he holds up, since his game isn't based very much on athletic ability.

Added very much, to be nice.

Sports Logo

I'm biased enough to say that Hibbert's the type of "Prospect" that you include with a huge Expiring Contract and a Draft Pick to net a Monta/Granger/Iggy "Robin"-level type Player. The best analogy that I could come up with would be that Hibbert as a "Prospect" is to Marc Gasol and ( to a lesser degree ) Critteton was to the Grizzlies in the Laker/Grizzlies trade that netted the Lakers Pau Gasol.

But realistically...the only one that can probably answer this with an unbiased opinion is KSTAT...a Non-Pacer fan that pays attention to the Pacers on the side.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The fact that he's a skilled, legitimate center on a rookie contract and who still has youth on his side means he probably has quite a bit of trade value. I'd agree with CableKC that Roy packaged with our lottery pick and a big expiring would probably be a very attractive package for a team wanting to dump an All-Star-level talent.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another thing Roy has going for him is that, knock on wood, he's rarely injured.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But realistically...the only one that can probably answer this with an unbiased opinion is KSTAT...a Non-Pacer fan that pays attention to the Pacers on the side.
    Cordobes also fits that description.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy could probably be looked at as a poor man's version of Andrew Bynum at this point...which is pretty good value. I'd say he's easily #2 behind Granger in trade value, albeit a distant #2.

Of course, I think he'd hold more value to a halfcourt team like charlotte than a faster paced team. I also think his lack of consistent minutes holds his value back. He's got to prove he can stay on the court longer than half the game.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-08-2010 at 06:02 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I agree he's easily the 2nd most valuable trade asset the Pacers have.

I also think that right now the opinions GMs have about Hibbert vary greatly, due to the kind of player he is. Hibbert is an atypical big man for today's game that rebounds the ball extremely poorly, even though his team rebounding is good. For his team to be really good they have to pair him with players of a certain kind and, ideally, to play in a certain way. GMs also evaluate how effective or ineffective a player is when matched up against players at his own position, the head-to-head matchups play a very important role in deciding how talented an individual player is. If you get, say, Yao Ming matched up with a traditional center then he's a very dominant player on both ends of the court. If Houston gets matched up with Memo Okur and Carlos Boozer then he's in trouble. Yao's lack of quickness makes him vulnerable defensively away from the hoop and that can be exploited like Boozer did on drives or like Memo can with his perimeter shooting in that playoffs series 2 years ago.

So, I think Hibbert's current trade value is all over the place, depending on the kind of team each GM is trying to build, the personnel they already have or their willingness to acquire that personnel. For example, if Presti believes Ibaka can become a new Varejao and is his PF for the future, then he'd very probably put a lot of value on Hibbert - it'd make them a scary squad. OTOH, if Bosh leaves Toronto and Colangelo acquires Hibbert to put him along Bargnani, that team would implode big time.

I think Hibbert can improve his value big time (as a trade asset and a contributor) by improving his quickness further and his defensive positioning. Andrew Bogut is a great role-model for Hibbert, I think.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post: