* Email
    * Print
    * Comments 69
    * Share1075
    retweet 287

By Adam Schefter
    ESPN
    Archive

The Philadelphia Eagles have reached agreement on a blockbuster intra-division trade that will send perennial Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

NFC East blog

Mosley ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

The two sides still must finalize language, but McNabb is now headed to Washington. Sources said the deal involved the Redskins' second-round pick in the 2010 draft and either a third- or fourth-round pick next year, depending on several factors.

The move means the Redskins now have a new starting quarterback and the Eagles have a new one as well in Kevin Kolb. Michael Vick is now in line as the team's backup.

Earlier, sources said McNabb's contract, which has one year and $11.2 million left on it, scared off several other teams. McNabb is due a $6.2 million roster bonus on May 5 and is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2010 season.

At the league meetings, head coach Andy Reid said the Eagles were listening to offers for all three quarterbacks, including 11-year veteran McNabb, who quickly said on his Web site that he wanted a quick resolution to the trade conversations.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Breaking News: Donovan McNabb to the Redskins

Kind of surprised they traded him to a division rival.

I am too and the Redskins didn't give up much either. There has to be more to this story.

streets ahead

Can anyone think of a QB who has been jerked around by management and coaching staffs than Jason Campbell? I hope for his sake, they can find a team that's interested.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am too and the Redskins didn't give up much either. There has to be more to this story.
    Nope. This move was all about money. An early second round pick is all we get for an All-Pro QB...

I didn't want him traded. Then to trade him to a division rival no less... Washington already played us extremely tough, I bet they beat us both times next year.

I'm not sold on Kolb. He played well against Kansas City and thats it. McNabb wasn't the reason we lost last year.

Reid has a big target on his back. If they don't perform well he better be gone.

Only good thing about this is that I am a McNabb fan and I'm much happier to see him go to Washington than to Oakland. I have a feeling he will do quite well under Shanahan. Something about a mobile quarter back, who can't win the big one and being at the latter end of his career being paired with Mike Shanahan just makes me think we have heard this story before...

You're going to need a Terrell Davis for this tale... and frankly all those guys he has are old at RB.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    You're going to need a Terrell Davis for this tale... and frankly all those guys he has are old at RB.
    And his number one receiver is Santana Moss.

Wamp wah.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dear Dan Snyder,

We already have a decent QB we puts up decent/good nubmers when he has time, but we have the WORST O-line in the history of pro football year in and year out. Way to fix that whole HORRIBLE O0line problem thing.......

Love,

VAPACERSFAN

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Dear Dan Snyder,

We already have a decent QB we puts up decent/good nubmers when he has time, but we have the WORST O-line in the history of pro football year in and year out. Way to fix that whole HORRIBLE O0line problem thing.......

Love,

VAPACERSFAN
    Would you rather have Dan Snyder spend the #4 on Jimmy Clausen?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Redskins are all about aesthetics. I have always sort of followed and rooted for them since I moved out here, and I don't think they've ever developed a player other than Sean Taylor during that time. The Redskins MO seems to be signing washed up skill players and doing next to nothing to address the problems they have on the O and D lines. I mean sure, Albert Haynesworth is a great player, but you can get someone only a tier lower for like 10% of the cost.

Their front office is like the anti-Colts. Again, I've never seen them develop a player. Nearly all of their key guys (McNabb, Portis, Moss, Haynesworth) were traded for or were free agent acquisitions. After watching Polian grab all-pros in the 4th round of the draft, seeing what the Redskins do appears to be very amateur.

McNabb is 33. He'll be good for a few years, but is not a long term solution for the team.

I really thought they'd draft Jimmy Clausen. I'm a Notre Dame fan, but this guy has Jeff George written all over him as a pro.

Dear Dan Snyder,

Love,

VAPACERSFAN
    Do not compare Jason Campbell to Donovan McNabb. Washington got away with robbery here. McNabb will make your O-line better because his pocket presence. Our O-line was bad last year, McNabb created so many plays with his feet.

About WR's, if McNabb can go to 3 NFC championships with Todd Pinkston and James Thrash, he can do well with Santana Moss.

I will agree with the Terrell Davis statement though,

Mood

To a divisional rival? Shocked.
    Go Colts!!

Go Pacers!!

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Would you rather have Dan Snyder spend the #4 on Jimmy Clausen?
    Honestly, YES!!!!!

McNabb is going to be a free agent after this year, so he may end up being a one year rental.

I am not sold on Clausen (and I am a HUGE Notre Dame fan) but I would rather Clausen then McNabb for one year.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    The Redskins are all about aesthetics. I have always sort of followed and rooted for them since I moved out here, and I don't think they've ever developed a player other than Sean Taylor during that time. The Redskins MO seems to be signing washed up skill players and doing next to nothing to address the problems they have on the O and D lines. I mean sure, Albert Haynesworth is a great player, but you can get someone only a tier lower for like 10% of the cost.

Their front office is like the anti-Colts. Again, I've never seen them develop a player. Nearly all of their key guys (McNabb, Portis, Moss, Haynesworth) were traded for or were free agent acquisitions. After watching Polian grab all-pros in the 4th round of the draft, seeing what the Redskins do appears to be very amateur.

McNabb is 33. He'll be good for a few years, but is not a long term solution for the team.

I really thought they'd draft Jimmy Clausen. I'm a Notre Dame fan, but this guy has Jeff George written all over him as a pro.
    Thank you

Though in Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerratos defense (and I am far from a fan of either) they did develop Chris Samuels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Do not compare Jason Campbell to Donovan McNabb. Washington got away with robbery here. McNabb will make your O-line better because his pocket presence. Our O-line was bad last year, McNabb created so many plays with his feet.

About WR's, if McNabb can go to 3 NFC championships with Todd Pinkston and James Thrash, he can do well with Santana Moss.

I will agree with the Terrell Davis statement though,
    You have your opinion, I have mine.

I like McNabb, just like I like Campbell. When you have a line that a MIDDLE SCHOOL team can beat, it really does not matter who the QB is.

The truth is this team needs to re-build, and it needs to start with the lines, and preferably out of the draft and not via free agency.

streets ahead

Honestly, YES!!!!!

McNabb is going to be a free agent after this year, so he may end up being a one year rental.

I am not sold on Clausen (and I am a HUGE Notre Dame fan) but I would rather Clausen then McNabb for one year.
    Look, they get McNabb and then if they use the #4 for O-Line and if they happen to get a pick from Campbell (who the Skins probably weren't going to re-sign), that seems like a net gain. Doesn't seem like an awful move at this point. Just hope that St Louis or Buffalo or maybe even San Fran might want Campbell.

Nice move by the Skins. Even thought their RBs are getting up in age. they have 3 solid vets they could split time or carries between to keep them all fresh.

They can drive an OT to keep McNabb safe, or gamble and take a Dez Bryant.

If smart they'll take on OT. Then you could swap that around and reunite the TO and McNabb show. haha

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Look, they get McNabb and then if they use the #4 for O-Line and if they happen to get a pick from Campbell (who the Skins probably weren't going to re-sign), that seems like a net gain. Doesn't seem like an awful move at this point. Just hope that St Louis or Buffalo or maybe even San Fran might want Campbell.
    I agree, though I still do not like the move. We need to be re-building, not in a "win now" mode. Not to mention if McNabb leaves after a year then what was the point of the trade? The only upside I see is letting a rookie learn while riding the bench for a year. I still would have preferred to keep the pick and build through the draft.

As far as moves, I personally saw them giving up on Campbell, but I saw them getting a QB from the draft, then trading some players for picks this year or next and drafting lineman. At least that is what I was hoping.

I know JC is not our "franchise" QB, though I honestly think he has the potential to be a great QB. Mark my words. If and when he leaves Washington he will have a great career with his next team.

Good move by the Redskins. I know Campbell has gotten a raw deal over his career, but I just don't feel his QB skills improving at all. A change needed to be made, and I don't think you can do better than this. Clausen would be an awful pick, and I don't really think any of the QBs in this draft are really outstanding. Use the 4 pick as mentioned for O-line (esp LT) and build from there. You have a coach who knows how to run an offense. Looks good to me.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I didn't see this posted but wow

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,232069

Campbell found out about McNabb trade from reporter
    By Doug Farrar

Generally speaking, players would perfer to learn about trades that affect them from their actual team that way, the team can do whatever damage control is necessary and assure the player in question that he's still a crucial part of their plans. The truth may be altogether different, but damage control isn't always about the truth.

What current (soon-to-be-former?) Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell(notes) now knows is that his team didn't think enough of him to let him know when they dropped the hammer on the Donovan McNabb(notes) trade. Campbell, who's been Washington's primary quarterback since 2007, found out about the trade when he got a phone call from John Keim of the Washington Examiner just after the deal was consummated.

Me: Did you hear about what happened?

Jason: What?

Me: The Redskins traded for Donovan.

Jason: Really? Ummm ... I didn't know that, man.

Me: I'm sorry I had to be the one who told you. I can't believe they didn't tell you.

Jason: No, that's the first I heard of it. ... I'd better go call my agent.

When I called back later, it went to voice mail. His mailbox was full.

Campbell has a first-round tender on his head that he hasn't signed, and that the Redskins will most likely rescind. According to ESPN 980, several teams are interested in Campbell's services the Bills, Raiders, Panthers and Jaguars (plus an "unknown team") are reportedly in line to make offers.

Though his performance in Washington was far from elite, it's also fair to say that Campbell never got a fair shot. He dealt with different offensive coordinators and a declining offense as the Dan Snyder/Vinny Cerrato "brain trust" mowed the offense down with a series of questionable moves. A new start would be best for all involved, and Campbell will most likely get it.

At this point, he's probably just hoping that when he is traded, he won't have to hear about it first from a reporter.

Cant say im surprised that they didnt tell him. They never seemed to care for him, I mean he had no idea what was going on when Washington was trying to get Cutler last year.

Cant say im surprised that they didnt tell him. They never seemed to care for him, I mean he had no idea what was going on when Washington was trying to get Cutler last year.
    It is a business.

Now don't get me wrong. I really feel for JC, but teams typically do not tell players on trade negotiations.

Leaks are get for fans but are horrible for teams. Bruce Allen called J.C. right after the trade was finalized, it just so happened that this reporter beat Allen.

In a perfect world we would find out before anyone else, but the NFL is a business.

I still say Campbell will have a great career with another team, esp. if he A. gets a quicker release or B. has a good - great offensive line to work with

I wonder what the over/under would be for number of bad games until the Eagle fans turn on Kolb and want to put Vick in.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I wonder what the over/under would be for number of bad games until the Eagle fans turn on Kolb and want to put Vick in.
    2 bads games and they will want Vick. If he's struggling thru week 7, Vick will be in.

2 bads games and they will want Vick. If he's struggling thru week 7, Vick will be in.
    I do not even know if they would give Kolb 2 games.

I definitely do not see the fanbase sticking iwth Kolb if he struggles. I know he had two fantastic games last games, but there was not much film and coaches were not making gameplans to completely stop him. So there could be a good growing period when the NFL catches up to him. I have a feeling the team will stick with him, but I do not think the fans will.

A lot of them are the most ungrateful fans I have ever seen and they always seems to be the most vocal. The hate a lot of them have for a guy who took the team to four NFC title games, 1 super bowl and always has that team competing for a playoff spot is beyond me. I really think they are to spoiled.