Thread: Kevin O'Neill to become Pacers assistant

Default Kevin O'Neill to become Pacers assistant

From this morning's Indianapolis Star:

O'Neill to join staff

Former Toronto coach Kevin O'Neill is expected to join the Pacers' staff today as an assistant.

O'Neill, an assistant to Carlisle in Detroit for two seasons before taking over as Raptors coach last summer, could sign a contract as early as today.

He was fired by Toronto in April. The Raptors finished 33-49 and did not make the playoffs.

----

Welcome Kevin!

Default Re: Kevin O'Neill to become Pacers assistant

Very interesting. Wonder if that indicates Ron Rothstein is moving on or if Dan Burke is moving on and being demoted. We know Mike Brown is not going anywhere.

Dan Burke might be a great assistant I just don't know he has been here since Bird was hired in 1998 I believe.

But a coaching staff of Carlisle, Brown, O'Neill, and Rothstein is an amazing staff, that is three current or former head coaches and a future head coach.

O'Neill specialty is defense and Brown runs the defense, I wonder how that will work out

Yes, the staff looks spectacular. I'm anxious to see how they work it out.

It will be interesting to see how many of our coaches will be standing up & yelling during the games at the same time.

PacerStud

He'll be a nice addition to the staff.

Of course, Carlisle's staff is still about 73 assistants short of the previous regime.

I'm just glad Brown's still here. If Mike left and was replaced by Kevin, I'd be worried that he wouldn't challenge Rick enough to not be a stick in the mud. I'm still a bit concerned that he brings that slow-it-down mentality.

If Rothstein is leaving, it's a big loss in my opinion, cause I greatly respect his coaching acumen. But I don't know how much he can contribute with Mike and Kevin here. He's better suited to be a lead assistant to a young guy like Sam Mitchell or Terry Porter. He would have been perfect for Isiah, much better than Malone was.

Speaking of assistants, I know I'm the only one who pays attention to such things, but New Orleans hired Darrell Walker (formerly of Toronto and Washington) to assist Byron. He's a quality hire. And Mully hired Terry Stotts and Mario Ellie to assist Mike Montgomery, which makes that a great staff.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Kegboy, I follow the assistant coaches closely, I think having the right assistant coaches is very important. You need to have the right mix of coaches, you don't want all to have similar personalities.

I don't have any inside info, but I am expecting Rothstein to move on. Now that I think about it, I did not see Rothstein during the summer league game Tuesday night. He might have been there, but I did not see him. I saw Dan Burke on the bench and a couple of the guys who normally sit behind the bench. Bird was sitting with Carlisle in the stands. Also remember Rothstein was an Isiah hire, a very smart hire.

[edit=24=1090598136][/edit]
    [edit=24=1090598290][/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by PacerStud
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course, Carlisle's staff is still about 73 assistants short of the previous regime.
    2000-2003 - Isiah Thomas, Brendan Malone, Tree Rollins/Mark Aguirre, Jim Stack, Vern Fleming, Dan Burke, George Glymph, Bill Dean

2004-2005 - Rick Carlisle, Mike Brown, Kevin O'Neill, Ron Rothstein, Dan Burke, Chad Forcier, Bill Dean

That's one less assistant, and Burke was half assistant, half scout under Isiah. So it's really .5 less assistants.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Kegboy, I follow the assistant coaches closely, I think having the right assistant coaches is very important. You need to have the right mix of coaches, you don't want all to have similar personalities.

I don't have any inside info, but I am expecting Rothstein to move on. Now that I think about it, I did not see Rothstein during the summer league game Tuesday night. He might have been there, but I did not see him. I say Dan Burke on the bench and a couple of the guys who normally sit behind the bench. Bird was sitting with Carlisle in the stands. Also remember Rothstein was an Isiah hire, a very smart hire.
    Yeah, that's why I wouldn't be surprised.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This was pretty much a given tht Oneill would come here. Im glad Mike is still here also.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Vantaa/Finland Favorite Players: Danny Granger, Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O'neal, Gilbert Arenas

Good addition!

Rick, Brown, and O'Neill. Wow. That's a lot of defense Is there such a thing as an all-star coach team? I mean, that's a damn fine trio to have.

I'm not for KO but knew it would happen with his relationship with Carlise.

But im glad Brown is still hear. Thats what is important to me, that Brown is here. I think he was a huge part of the team success last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

2000-2003 - Isiah Thomas, (1)Brendan Malone, (2)Tree Rollins/(3)Mark Aguirre, (4)Jim Stack, (5)Vern Fleming, (6)Dan Burke, (7)George Glymph, (8)Bill Dean

2004-2005 - Rick Carlisle, (1)Mike Brown, (2)Kevin O'Neill, (3)Ron Rothstein, (4)Dan Burke, (5)Chad Forcier, (6)Bill Dean

Uh, Kegboy did you read what you wrote? In reality, Isiah had 2 more assistants. If we count Dan as 1/2, , then it's 1.5 more assistants. And I saw in a recent ad that Vern Fleming was still an assistant coach for us. That would make it only .5 assistant more, so technically, in your original post, you are correct.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great addition.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

2000-2003 - Isiah Thomas, (1)Brendan Malone, (2)Tree Rollins/(3)Mark Aguirre, (4)Jim Stack, (5)Vern Fleming, (6)Dan Burke, (7)George Glymph, (8)Bill Dean

2004-2005 - Rick Carlisle, (1)Mike Brown, (2)Kevin O'Neill, (3)Ron Rothstein, (4)Dan Burke, (5)Chad Forcier, (6)Bill Dean

Uh, Kegboy did you read what you wrote? In reality, Isiah had 2 more assistants. If we count Dan as 1/2, , then it's 1.5 more assistants. And I saw in a recent ad that Vern Fleming was still an assistant coach for us. That would make it only .5 assistant more, so technically, in your original post, you are correct.
    Mark Aguirre replaced Tree Rollins, hence the '/' between their names.

I was not aware of that, Kegboy. I just assumed you had a disliking for them and thus counted them as half a person each. My mistake.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im glad that KO landed on his feet. He's a top-notch assistant.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I could forsee O'Neill taking over the defense and Brown switching over to offense. The move would give Brown more experience and make him more marketable for a run at a HC job next year. I personally would like to see a Mike Brown-run offense (although some would contest I would have the opportunity to this week in SLC) -- I think he might open it up a little more which at times is a good thing for our team.