Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cousins and the draft

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Cousins and the draft

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?...aft&id=5043893

(David Thorpe)
    Getting drafted is not at all a concern for DeMarcus Cousins. He's probably guaranteed to be one of the top two overall prospects in this draft, no matter who declares, and would be on every top-five list that's based on talent. And that holds true for just about any draft.

His combination of size, hands and ability to get buckets is very, very special. I typically watch multiple NBA games every night. And whenever I see Cousins play I think of Zach Randolph and Al Jefferson, only taller (with a little Pau Gasol mixed in). And just so you know, those first two guys are among the very best low-post scorers in basketball today, worldwide.

In the draft, getting a post player who can really score is one of the best ways to upgrade a team, as low-post scorers are not nearly as prevalent as they once were. But drafting Cousins seems as much of a risk now as it did six months ago when he started playing at Kentucky and the red flags started waving.

I sat there in shock watching him get into at least two verbal spats with Kentucky head coach John Calipari in the Elite Eight. To beat a team as mature and tough as West Virginia, Kentucky needed to have 100 percent of its players' and coaches' attention on the game, with a single-minded purpose. That wasn't possible with Cousins acting out in those situations. Was it the reason the Wildcats lost? To my eyes, it was every bit as important as all those missed 3s. And therein lies the problem with Cousins.

If the NBA has ever been guilty, as a whole, of any single problem, it's been the league's lack of an ability to help an athlete gain maturity when he desperately needs it. There are many success stories that come in all shapes and sizes. But should Phoenix have taken Earl Clark at No. 14 over Ty Lawson? How would Miami look with Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love or Brook Lopez instead of Michael Beasley? The Bulls chose Tyrus Thomas over Brandon Roy. And that's just since 2007.

The truth is, Cousins is a better prospect than all of those guys were when they left college, but that doesn't mean he will realize that potential. I don't blame the NBA at all for this problem, and the teams can do only so much. This isn't college, where a player can be accounted for and mentored at all times (which does not always help, either). Factor in the money and nightlife, and the fact that players often have more power than coaches, and it's easy to see why drafting Cousins could lead to more problems than he's worth, at least in the short term.

The length of time that it takes to get Cousins on par with everyone else is the important question. Clark has plenty of time to get it right and be worthy of his lottery status. Ditto for Beasley, who has always shown signs of excellence, just not consistently. But at some point that light clicks on only after the player has to be moved. I think Thomas will end up a double-double machine, with all-defensive team efforts to boot, in Charlotte, having lost that opportunity over the years in Chicago. Randolph is a top-tier talent now, but that's after multiple trades. And there are plenty of other guys who ultimately figured it out for teams that did not draft them, just as there are super talents who never got things right.

Every decision-maker fancies himself as an expert at developing a player -- physically, mentally and emotionally. And Cousins is so talented that he just has to be taken in the first five picks, right? But maybe, this one time, teams will think twice, three times ... or perhaps four times before drafting and paying millions of dollars to a guy they know could not get his act together in the most important game of his life. And maybe losing that game will serve as a slap in the face to this marvelous talent, and he'll realize how precious and fortunate his talent is, and start acting like the pro he's about to become.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Default Re: Cousins and the draft

as I have said before, Cousins' attitude will determine how good he will be in the NBA. If he loses his attitude, he'll be a great player, but if he doesn't lose his attitude, then he'll easily lose his spot on a team to someone who really wants it. It's all up to him.

If Cousins were to drop to #10, I'd take a chance on him.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Cousins were to drop to #10, I'd take a chance on him.
    Not me. There are other players out there who will work their rears off to get better. I'd rather have one of them than a headache waiting to happen in Cousins. Heck, the coach puled him with about 8-10 minutes left in a game the team desperately wanted to win.

Of course that same coach did nothing to stop his team from dying from the three point line instead of working for higher percentage shots.

Remember Walsh's line about falling in love with talent?
    Last edited by Tom White; 03-31-2010 at 07:12 PM.

We're at the point where we need to take a chance on a high-risk, high-reward player, especially at #10. We have plenty of "solid" players. We need another star.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Cousins will have to murder someone before now and June 24th in order to slip to #10.

I'd put it at 2:1 odds.

We're at the point where we need to take a chance on a high-risk, high-reward player, especially at #10. We have plenty of "solid" players. We need another star.
    He seems like a lock to be a great low post presence. He doesn't have the perimeter game of Zach Randolph and Rasheed Wallace though. That's a good 1/3 of their games. I also don't think he'll be the defensive player Rasheed Wallace is. His floor is probably Brendan Haywood and ceiling is Zach Randolph.

I agree with Shade on this one. We can't keep taking safe role players in the draft. He won't drop to #10 but if he does that should be a no brainer. That would solidify our need for a big man and we could focus on trading our expiring contracts for a pg.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

He's probably guaranteed to be one of the top two overall prospects in this draft, no matter who declares,
    I doubt that. I think most people would take Wall and Turner over Cousins, and possible Favors
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Cousins will have to murder someone before now and June 24th in order to slip to #10.

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'd still take him, depending on who he murders...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post

Can I parlay that with Evan Turner NOT being taken in the first 2 overall picks?

Banned

I'd still take him, depending on who he murders...
    I'll be ok if he murders a coach that everybody here knows I don't like...........

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'll be ok if he murders a coach that everybody here knows I don't like...........
    What do you have against Slick Leonard?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    What do you have against Slick Leonard?

If he falls to the 10th pick because of character, I doubt Bird would take him.

I'm hoping for him. We need one guy with some baggage heading into the future.

Cousins will be selected at #3 or #4, which will be long before the Pacers pick.

Sports Logo

I'd draft him then trade down for Udoh while getting back an an additional asset.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'd draft him then trade down for Udoh while getting back an an additional asset.
    Mark my words...Udoh will be a bust...nothing more than a tyrus thomas type.....lots of hype cause he dominated kids smaller than him but is a lightweigth among men his size and ability

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll be absolutely shocked if Cousins is not the 2nd or 3rd pick. His ENORMOUS potenial will out weigh any maturity problems he may have.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I'll be absolutely shocked if Cousins is not the 2nd or 3rd pick. His ENORMOUS potenial will out weigh any maturity problems he may have.
    I wonder how many people said the same thing about Zack Randolph?

Demarcus Cousins is good but he is a headcase. I talked to Dave Baker before a Hog game this year and we brought up Cousins and even he basically agree'd that although Cousins is a nice kid in interviews, either he'll be traded first offseason to highest bidder or his first coach will be packing. He's going to be a coach killer.

Cousins will be good low post player in the NBA. They just don't come along at his size and skill level very often. If he can get his emotions under control he could be great. But I agree he is going to be a problem for whoever gets to coach him.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

I think Cousins's floor is Zach Randolph. That's not bad.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

we'd be reallllllllllly lucky to get cousins in the draft