Thread: New computer: Now? Or later?

Default New computer: Now? Or later?

I've been thinking about getting a new computer for quite a while. I don't care about graphics. the only game I play is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. But I need a much bigger hard drive than I have and a faster processor to handle some big Excel and Access files. I'm currently using an AMD 64 processor and 80G hard drive. Most restricting is Office 2003, which restricts Excel files to 65,000 lines. Office 2007 allows more than a million. I could just upgrade the software, but I want a bigger monitor, too, so I want to replace everything and hand the notebook to my daughter.

My question is just this:

Is there any new innovation coming in the next 6 months or so that is worth holding out for? The answer could be in terms of hardware or software. If there's no Office 2009 on this horizon or faster and/or more reliable processor on the horizon, then I'll take the jump.
    Last edited by Putnam; 03-31-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: New computer: Now? Or later?

There is always some new innovation just around the corner.

Why not just buy a new monitor and Office 2007? Do you really need more than an 80GB HD?
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you really need more than an 80GB HD?

Yes.

For the stuff you're doing, Putnam, there's no magic around the corner that's going to be a game-changer for you. Any modern computer's going to be a big step up and probably get the job done for you... what are you looking to spend? A quick look at dell.com shows the Vostro 230 slim tower with a 21.5" monitor for $479... that should be plenty for ya. You could get it cheaper if you built it yourself, of course, but if you're not somebody who enjoys that kind of thing then just go out and buy one.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    For the stuff you're doing, Putnam, there's no magic around the corner that's going to be a game-changer for you. Any modern computer's going to be a big step up and probably get the job done for you... what are you looking to spend? A quick look at dell.com shows the Vostro 230 slim tower with a 21.5" monitor for $479... that should be plenty for ya. You could get it cheaper if you built it yourself, of course, but if you're not somebody who enjoys that kind of thing then just go out and buy one.

That's what I hoped to hear. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    the only game I play is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.
    Great game! I still play that one too.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Great game! I still play that one too.

Morgan?

I wouldn't worry about the HD size to much, if you need I'd get a couple external HD's to save all your documents, thene ach time you upgrade it's so much eaiser...

just nuke your old pc, and plug ya external HD in to your new PC...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the HD size to much, if you need I'd get a couple external HD's to save all your documents, thene ach time you upgrade it's so much eaiser...

just nuke your old pc, and plug ya external HD in to your new PC...

Good advice on the external! I'm already planning on that. The data I'm talking about is costly, proprietary stuff, so I have to have back up. If I lost it I wouldn't just be losing my own work -- I'd be losing a company asset.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Office 2010 is coming in May, but I don't remember any new Excel or Access features worth mentioning. I have noticed manufacturers have started offering a free upgrade for when it comes out, so as to entice you to not wait.

As for hardware, not really. Processors and memory have already seen their generation bump. The only real change I see on the horizon is mass adoption of solid-state drives (flash-based hard drives that are super fast), but it's probably a couple years before they are widely adopted in consumer machines. If 80GB isn't enough for you, then the price of an SSD would probably be prohibitive.

[edit] I will say that, as far as price goes, now might not be the best time to buy. Intel came out with new processors, so all the vendors came out with new models, and they're priced at a premium. In my experience, the best time for a deal is August, due to all the back-to-school sales.
    Last edited by Kegboy; 03-31-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Morgan?
    Been tending toward Aki Zeta-5 lately.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Good advice on the external! I'm already planning on that. The data I'm talking about is costly, proprietary stuff, so I have to have back up. If I lost it I wouldn't just be losing my own work -- I'd be losing a company asset.
    Then it's not even an option. Don't think about it... go buy an external drive immediately. Heck, buy two and switch off. Keep one in the office and one at home. If the house burns down, you're covered. Off-site backups are a big deal.

Kegboy's got a good point too about price, but I'm assuming that if you're working on 100000-line excel files then you can probably hack the $500 pricetag. They'll come down some by August, but not a ton.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Keep one in the office and one at home. If the house burns down, you're covered. Off-site backups are a big deal.
    Ditto on this. I keep two and rotate them back and forth between my house and my mom's in Illinois. Anything big enough to wipe out both is big enough I won't give a darn about my old vacation photos.

- Jimmy Buffett

Go for it. I got a couple new computers in Feb. One was a Vostro. It's the cheapo of the two, but I'm very satisfied with it and think it's a helluva bargain.
    I upgraded RAM, monitor, CPU and paid about $800.

If you have an older printer, be advised that I cannot use my $800 color laser with Windows 7 -- no drivers.

ROT IN HELL, HEWLETT-PACKARD.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Thanks to all!

Not sure how secure your backup needs to be, but if it can be done and not violate company policy, Mozy or some other similar online backup service would be preferred. 5 bucks a month for unlimited storage space on a personal account and the data is encrypted during transfer and in storage. Pretty good deal, if you ask me.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

According to my experiencing and knowledge it seems as if the development of new technology with this rapidly moving life style is really very fast. Hence it doesn't matter that you purchase a new computer right now or wait for some time.All of your decision is based on your requirements and expectation.