Thread: Pacers: Real Training Camp... A fan experience

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers: Real Training Camp... A fan experience

Between thinking about the Colts training camp and the open invitation to Lucas Oil Stadium to see the Final 4 teams practice on Friday just kind of gave me an idea. I would like the Pacers to have one of their 2 hour practice sessions towards the beginning of training camp open to the public.

I know that the Pacers have the "Fan Jam" but, I'd like to see something that would be geared towards the more mature fans that would like to hear and see the coach run some drills and maybe have a light scrimmage in front of fans that are interested. Maybe even go as far as having coaches and team captains mic'd up. This wouldn't be a P.R. production about getting the fans hyped up and kids screaming or shooting T-shirts, but just practice that was open to the public. I see it as a good way to actually get to watch the training camp invites work hard for a roster spot and the vets go through things that we just don't see everyday, but the stuff that makes them better. I also see it as a way to show what the coaching staff does to prep the players for the season.

If done correctly, I think this would be better for fans like myself that have grown just weary of Fan Jam because its just about PR and not about basketball. You could brand it off as, "Pacers: Real Training Camp" like the show featured on NBA TV. I'd still keep Fan Jam as a way to introduce the team and have that party atmosphere but the Real Training Camp would be what you'd attend to see the scrimmage and drills and maybe see something that isn't all about hype.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Pacers: Real Training Camp... A fan experience

That would be great. I remember going to a Larry Brown training practice years ago up at Purdue and it was great to see.

However a lot of coaches don't want to open practice up. Actually Jim O'Brien I feel would be open to such an idea. But Rick carlisle for example wouldn't even let the media in at all.

So depends on who the coach is next training camp

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

sounds like a great idea...i know some other teams do this, too. Keep the Fan Jam, but adding this into the offseason would be great, too. Plus it would also help sell a little more merchandise as well.

Perhaps they should just let it be seen on some live feed on pacers.com or something. While I'd love to attend one of their practices during training camp, I feel like training camp is a thing that turns teammates into friends, and builds chemistry and I don't really want to be snooping into that. Like the Hansbrough and Hibbert friendship last summer.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Hey, I'm under the arrow drewdawg's Avatar

They are offering the opportunity to watch a practice if you have been a STH for 8+ years as one of the new "Loyalty Benefits" offered if you renewed. So looks like someone liked the idea too. Just didn't like it enough to allow everyone come watch.

http://www.pacerselite.com/lockin

great idea... the NCAA practices this weekend should be a blast...

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps they should just let it be seen on some live feed on pacers.com or something. While I'd love to attend one of their practices during training camp, I feel like training camp is a thing that turns teammates into friends, and builds chemistry and I don't really want to be snooping into that. Like the Hansbrough and Hibbert friendship last summer.
    I do get this, but I don't think just one of the sessions early on during the camp wouldn't be detrimental to the chemistry. I think the key would be to impress upon those that show up that this isn't a time to distract the players and coaches with autograph request and other nonsense, but they are just there as more of a witness.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I do get this, but I don't think just one of the sessions early on during the camp wouldn't be detrimental to the chemistry. I think the key would be to impress upon those that show up that this isn't a time to distract the players and coaches with autograph request and other nonsense, but they are just there as more of a witness.
    Take a player like Brandon Rush or Tyler Hansbrough. They would be extremely reluctant to do anything funny or they wouldn't be comfortable with the cameras in their face and all the blank faces staring at them.

However, Danny once told me about seeing the same faces and talking to the same people in the stands year in and year out (about their loyalty to the team). It would be a great idea if you were a 10+ STH, you could have access to the training camp. It would be a dream thing for alot of fans. It would be great if the 10+ year STH could have access because it would be like being in front of people you've seen before instead of a silly FanJam setting.

I agree, it would have to have very strict rules.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Thesterovic For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tikitomoka View Post
    great idea... the NCAA practices this weekend should be a blast...
    those aren't real practices at all. I want to see a real practice

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At the very least, they should show one or two of the team scrimmages on a live feed on Pacers.com like they did during training camp from last season.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    those aren't real practices at all. I want to see a real practice
    Yeah not real practices at all. I went to see UNC back in 2000 when it was here and just went to watch Butler today. All they do is basically shoot around for a couple hours. None the less it was still really cool to see all those people out for Butler.
    As for opening up a practice to fans, I think it would be cool. I'd go. But I'm a sucker for all things Pacers.
    Doing the twitter thing JonnyB83
    Also JonnyB83 on facebook....we should be friends!