Thread: Summer Trade w/Hornets

Default Summer Trade w/Hornets

I have read that New Orleans will be in a salary crunch and may have to dump salary. I don't think they would ever trade Chris Paul, but crazy things do happen. What if they dump elsewhere and then rebuild around him? Would Okafor be a good PF next to Hibbert? He may not give us the scoring that Murphy does, but he's at least as good a rebounder if not better, and much better defensively. To take on his big contract New Orleans will have to offer us a sweetner, which would have to be Darren Collison. So how about a summer trade of Murphy, Ford, and maybe our #1 for Okafor and Collison? I'm not trying to be a homer here, I understand the talent in this trade certainly favors the Pacers, but if cap relief is really important to the Hornets, they can shed nearly $20 million following the season. With cap space, even a little, New Orleans can attract free agents, especially with CP3 there. The Pacers need to use their expiring contracts in trades because it will be much more difficult for us to attract FA's to Indy. The trade probably needs to be tweaked, and I'd like to keep our #1, but what do you folks think. Later, Bingo

Default Re: Summer Trade w/Hornets

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo1225 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have read that New Orleans will be in a salary crunch and may have to dump salary. I don't think they would ever trade Chris Paul, but crazy things do happen. What if they dump elsewhere and then rebuild around him? Would Okafor be a good PF next to Hibbert? He may not give us the scoring that Murphy does, but he's at least as good a rebounder if not better, and much better defensively. To take on his big contract New Orleans will have to offer us a sweetner, which would have to be Darren Collison. So how about a summer trade of Murphy, Ford, and maybe our #1 for Okafor and Collison? I'm not trying to be a homer here, I understand the talent in this trade certainly favors the Pacers, but if cap relief is really important to the Hornets, they can shed nearly $20 million following the season. With cap space, even a little, New Orleans can attract free agents, especially with CP3 there. The Pacers need to use their expiring contracts in trades because it will be much more difficult for us to attract FA's to Indy. The trade probably needs to be tweaked, and I'd like to keep our #1, but what do you folks think. Later, Bingo
    Most trades Ive read on here are senseless for the other team but you are on to something with the Hornets however.

IMHO though, it would be the Pacers who would be reluctant to take on Okafors salary in this scenario. A couple of reasons why: 1. Even with Collison and Okafor the Pacers are at best a 7 or an 8 seed nothing more and adding 6-10 wins next year does nothing to create enthusiasm for the team and hinders are ability to get a top lotto player in future years. 2. And most importantly.......why add $50mm to your payroll when the league is likely to have a lockout and significant reduction in player salaries after 2011 ?? You should keep the payroll in the low 40's save some money hopefully and get bad enough to get good again IMO.

But believe it or not...........that is the type of trade NO will be looking to make this summer.

Default Re: Summer Trade w/Hornets

I agree with you that we need to bottom out and rebuild, but the Pacer FO does not. We have had that chance the last two seasons and instead of getting a top 5 pick, we go on late season winning streaks and end up at the end of the lottery. Of course we could get lucky in the lottery this year, ala teh Bulls and Rose, but I would not count on it. We defintely need a special player to go along with Danny to turn this franchise around. Cap space won't get us that player. If the money is equal and you are a star FA, are you going to sign with Pacers and play with Danny, or are you going to sign with the Bulls and Rose or the Heat and DWade or whoever Lebron signs with? So we can't improve through the draft unless we get lucky, and it's doubtful we can attract a star to Indy. That leaves us trading our expirings.

Again, I don't know if Okafor is our answer at PF, but I do believe if he can be a 15/11 guy with the defense he would provide, he would be worth his salary. Murphy isn't because whatever he gives you on offense, he gives up as much on defense. I do agree that adding Okafor and Collison may not do more than get us into the 7th or 8th spot, but this would just be one step in several we need to take, starting with finding a new coach. We would still have the expiring contracts of Dunleavy and Foster if they are healthy next year and maybe could use them in another trade.

I think it's obvious we still need a second scorer to go with Danny, but I think a trade like this puts us in better postion to get one. IMHO a Collison/Price PG rotation could become one of the top 10 in the league. An Okafor and a healthy Hansbrough would give us, dare I say it, a Davis boys type PF rotation. If Hibbert/Rush can continue to grow and get more consistent, I believe would would only be that second main scoring option away from being somewhat dangerous. Later, Bingo