Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68

Thread: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

  1. #1

    Default Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...vid&id=1844611

    The title pretty much says it all.

    21. Indiana Pacers


    2003-04 RECORD: 61-21, lost in Eastern Conference finals
    SIGNIFICANT ADDITIONS: G Stephen Jackson (acquired from Atlanta)
    SIGNIFICANT LOSSES: F Al Harrington (traded to Atlanta)

    Despite his team making the Eastern finals, Larry Bird obviously didn't like what he saw. He shipped Harrington off to the Hawks for Jackson, who got $44 million in a sign-and-trade deal and will ultimately be Reggie Miller's replacement. Jack has a lot of good attributes -- he's not afraid of anyone, he'll take and make big shots and he's got superior defensive instincts. But he clashed at times with Gregg Popovich in San Antonio, and Rick Carlisle is cut from a similar coaching cloth. I don't expect Ron Artest to be on the opening-day roster, either; he's been shopped around all summer after his mystifying near-absence from the Pistons' series. The Pacers are still trying to figure out a way to get Dampier, but the biggest concern has to be Jermaine O'Neal's knee. He says he'll be okay, but no one is penciling him in for 80 games just yet. Even though Indiana dominated the Pistons in the regular season, Detroit won when it mattered, and the Pistons have gotten even better. Indiana needs to make another deal to keep pace.
    [edit=75=1090539008][/edit]
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  2. #2
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,310

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    We just traded Al right?!Why would we trade Ron too!!Jermaine's knee will be 100% by the end of November (I hope)
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  3. #3
    Gold Swagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,395
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    I don't buy that we shopped Artest all summer, we may have had calls about him from other teams though. We may have offered him for T-Mac, I don't call that shopping him all around.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,876

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Yeah I don't think they have actively been shopping him around either outside of the Mcgrady thing. I really doubt they move him now that Al is gone. They had Bird on NBA TV during our game on tuesday and the way he talked sure sounded like Ron was in the plans for next season.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Ron will be traded either before the season starts or by mid-season at the latest. I'm quite certain he won't be around for next year's playoffs. If the right deal comes along, Ron is gone.

    Oh, and we are NOT trying to figure out a way to get Damp.
    [edit=27=1090541009][/edit]

  6. #6
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    I think the longest Ron is a Pacer is until August '05. But I think that's as long as he will be at max.

  7. #7
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    issed2: :banghead2: :boo: :grr: :smash: :ticked: :devilrolleyes:

    Eventhough, I would be strait pissed if we got rid of Artest...I just want all the speculation to end already! If the powers that be feel Ron needs to hit the road, at least get something decent for him instead of trying to sell us on another Scot Pollard type of fiasco.

    It better be an All-Star in return :smash:!

    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  8. #8

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eventhough, I would be strait pissed if we got rid of Artest...I just want all the speculation to end already! If the powers that be feel Ron needs to hit the road, at least get something decent for him instead of trying to sell us on another Scot Pollard type of fiasco.

    It better be an All-Star in return.
    Ron will only be traded if they can get equal or better value in return. And that won't be easy so management will be patient about it.

  9. #9
    Pacer4fun
    Guest

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Bulletproof,
    a number of posts by you have stated that Artest is not wanted by the Pacers because of behind the scens and once again you are saying he is gone....do you have inside info??

    Also what do you mean that we are NOT trying to figure a way to get Damp? Does that mean we don't want Damp or that we have a way to get Damp?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    I'm saying that no offer has been made for Damp and no offer will be made.


  11. #11
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eventhough, I would be strait pissed if we got rid of Artest...I just want all the speculation to end already! If the powers that be feel Ron needs to hit the road, at least get something decent for him instead of trying to sell us on another Scot Pollard type of fiasco.

    It better be an All-Star in return.
    Ron will only be traded if they can get equal or better value in return. And that won't be easy so management will be patient about it.

    They will never get equal or better value for him, because aside from the biggest star players there really isn't any. But they can get someone nearly as good, but obviously no matter who they get will be a step down defensively. I'm still hoping Paul Pierce is the man we get.
    [edit=12=1090542887][/edit]

  12. #12

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They will never get equal or better value for him, because aside from the biggest star players there really isn't any. But they can get someone nearly as good, but obviously no matter who they get will be a step down defensively. I'm still hoping Paul Pierce is the man we get.

    Equal or better value is subjective. I have little doubt that Donnie or Larry wouldn't trade Ron unless they felt like they could get someone of commeasurate or better value. And regardless of who we got in return, there will always those who would feel there isn't anyone worth Ron short of a handful of superstars.

  13. #13
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    BP, how are you sure about this stuff? Unless you have inside info, it seems kind of weird to say something has no chance at all of happening.

    Although I hope your right, I don't want Dampier.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  14. #14
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...vid&id=1844611

    The title pretty much says it all.

    21. Indiana Pacers


    2003-04 RECORD: 61-21, lost in Eastern Conference finals
    SIGNIFICANT ADDITIONS: G Stephen Jackson (acquired from Atlanta)
    SIGNIFICANT LOSSES: F Al Harrington (traded to Atlanta)

    Despite his team making the Eastern finals, Larry Bird obviously didn't like what he saw. He shipped Harrington off to the Hawks for Jackson, who got $44 million in a sign-and-trade deal and will ultimately be Reggie Miller's replacement. Jack has a lot of good attributes -- he's not afraid of anyone, he'll take and make big shots and he's got superior defensive instincts. But he clashed at times with Gregg Popovich in San Antonio, and Rick Carlisle is cut from a similar coaching cloth. I don't expect Ron Artest to be on the opening-day roster, either; he's been shopped around all summer after his mystifying near-absence from the Pistons' series. The Pacers are still trying to figure out a way to get Dampier, but the biggest concern has to be Jermaine O'Neal's knee. He says he'll be okay, but no one is penciling him in for 80 games just yet. Even though Indiana dominated the Pistons in the regular season, Detroit won when it mattered, and the Pistons have gotten even better. Indiana needs to make another deal to keep pace.

    That whole article is full of holes, if he's really an NBA writer he's an idiot.
    is there anybody ELSE that doesn't know that Jermaine,Tinsley and Freddie were all damaged goods against the pistons?? We dont' need to do ANYTHING to "keep pace". He's a moron.
    And I've not heard ONE word of worry about Jermianes knee being ok.

  15. #15
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,494

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Bulletproof is DW's proctologist. He let the cat outta the bag a few weeks ago. Obviously some people need to pay more attention! :P

    BTW... IMHO... the Pacers off season is pretty much done unless somebody has a very good offer for Artest (who I believe the Pacers would like to move if at all possible without getting skinned). Altho to some it might not seem we've done much, compared to offseason's past we've torn up the plan. We re-signed AJ to a 4 year deal (in the past we let Ollie walk after proving to be (IMO) a solid backup... and we all know Jax was allowed to walk even tho he was a starter and Reggie's pal). We've been involved in a sign and trade (apparently on our terms) to get a shooting guard who can and will shoot. The BMiller deal not withstanding, Walsh has declared in the past that he is not inclined to be involved in sign and trades (tho I guess the 'signing' was more on the other side). Still, we traded one of the pet projects instead of sticking with him no matter what.


    Personally, I think the nature of the next few years of the NBA has now been written and it will be a physical rough and tumble game with solid fundamental play. The Pistons are the team to beat. I'm not sure how Bender ever fits into this. I thought he'd be gone and it still wouldn't surprise me tho I get the feeling that DW has invested so much time and money into him that they don't want to give up now. Injury and a new coach has bought him another season to flame or flameout once again...

    ...But what do I know?

    -Bball


    [edit=68=1090547274][/edit]
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  16. #16
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,494

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddies
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    That whole article is full of holes, if he's really an NBA writer he's an idiot.
    is there anybody ELSE that doesn't know that Jermaine,Tinsley and Freddie were all damaged goods against the pistons?? We dont' need to do ANYTHING to "keep pace". He's a moron.

    The Pistons were better and won't be getting worse any time soon. They leapfrogged us and never looked back midseason. Maybe some outside shooting from SJack will make a difference but the injury excuse isn't going to get it.

    And I've not heard ONE word of worry about Jermianes knee being ok.
    Welcome to the world of the Indiana Pacers and the Indpls Star. JO could have his lower leg amputated and the star would drop a line in some story about some 'concern' over JO's leg some weeks later... and finally let us all in on the secret several weeks after that... but only when the team gives the "OK". IOW, no news is neither good news or bad news in this regard.

    I'm not saying there's anything to the story's mention of JO's knee. I'm just saying don't discount it based on the Star's 'quiet'.

    -Bball

    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  17. #17

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BP, how are you sure about this stuff? Unless you have inside info, it seems kind of weird to say something has no chance at all of happening.

    Although I hope your right, I don't want Dampier.
    Yeah, I just like coming on here and throwing out random thoughts from time to time to see if anyone bites.
    [edit=27=1090547354][/edit]

  18. #18
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    And regardless of who we got in return, there will always those who would feel there isn't anyone worth Ron short of a handful of superstars.
    Yeah, count me there. Who would you say is an equal trade? How many 2's and 3's are there that you'd trade Artest for? Not many in my book.

    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And regardless of who we got in return, there will always those who would feel there isn't anyone worth Ron short of a handful of superstars.
    Yeah, count me there. Who would you say is an equal trade? How many 2's and 3's are there that you'd trade Artest for? Not many in my book.
    I wouldn't disagree with you there, and thankfully that's not for you or I to decide. It could be one player or a combination of players. Either way, Ron won't be moved for just anyone.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    I think that there is a possiabilty that Artest is traded.

    And if he is I hope we can get good players and/or dump Crosheres contract.

    What we need:

    - Small Forward
    If Artest is traded there would be a hole there. I know we have Stephen Jackson but I still think that we would need a SF.
    - Center
    We still could use an upgrade here.

    Possiable destinations for Artest:

    - Memphis
    They have reportedly had interest and can offer alot of diffrent combinations of swingmen and such.
    - Sacramento
    It would be swaping Artest for Peja which I would defentily be against but still is a possiabilty.
    - Phoenix
    Shawn Marion is reportedly on the block and they are unlikely to get QRich. They need a Center so maybe Artest/Pollard for Marion/? would be to there liking.
    - New Jersey
    Richard Jefferson may want traded and the new owners in NJ would like Artest. He is a good player, cheap, and cheap for seasons to come.
    - Los Angeles
    They may try and throw Caron Butler or Lamar Odom our way. But it would be a few mounths before they can be traded.

    This is just me speculating. These may or may not be possiabilties.
    [edit=145=1090550409][/edit]

  21. #21
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    14,842
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Paul Pierce??? Somebody get me a vomit sock. I haven't liked him since I saw him in the World Games. SInce we now have JAx do we really need PP's scoring? Wouldn't we be better with a scorer and rebounder? Do we really need another MAJOR option, one who needs the ball...alot?
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  22. #22
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    This really disturbs me.

    If it was any other writer, I'd blow it off as nonsense. But, IMO, David Aldridge is far and away the best NBA reporter around. He's the only reporter ESPN has that's worth a hill of beans (except maybe John Clayton, but he can be a real ***.)

    At the party, we all just took it as fact that with Al traded, that meant Ron was here to stay. Frankly, I can't see us getting equal value at all, except for if we got Pierce (who I can't stand, but he's still damn good.)

    Plus, if JO's health was a question, I really can't see trading Al. Unless Bird thinks Cro can fill in, which I'm scared is true in his mind.

    Maybe I'm just paranoid. I'm debating on whether to re-up my tickets for next season, and the money's due 2 weeks from tomorrow. I'm terrified that right after I give them my money Larry's gonna swoop down and totally f#ck up this team.

    One more thing. If we are shopping Artest, than we aren't interested in Dampier. If we wanted him and this were true, Ron would be gone already.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This really disturbs me.

    If it was any other writer, I'd blow it off as nonsense. But, IMO, David Aldridge is far and away the best NBA reporter around. He's the only reporter ESPN has that's worth a hill of beans (except maybe John Clayton, but he can be a real ***.)

    At the party, we all just took it as fact that with Al traded, that meant Ron was here to stay. Frankly, I can't see us getting equal value at all, except for if we got Pierce (who I can't stand, but he's still damn good.)

    Plus, if JO's health was a question, I really can't see trading Al. Unless Bird thinks Cro can fill in, which I'm scared is true in his mind.

    Maybe I'm just paranoid. I'm debating on whether to re-up my tickets for next season, and the money's due 2 weeks from tomorrow. I'm terrified that right after I give them my money Larry's gonna swoop down and totally f#ck up this team.

    One more thing. If we are shopping Artest, than we aren't interested in Dampier. If we wanted him and this were true, Ron would be gone already.
    Well, he's wrong about Dampier. There has been no offer made for him, nor will there be one.

  24. #24
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    14,842
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    I really really believe Dampier has a gimpy knee and the P's know it and are staying away completely. I remember it being mentioned slightly when he was a rook, and he's missed alot of games over the years.

    Kegboy...spend the money, you'll be glad you did. Take it from a wise old geezer who made the mistke of giving up his seats too many years ago.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  25. #25
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Aldridge thinks Artest will be traded

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This really disturbs me.

    If it was any other writer, I'd blow it off as nonsense. But, IMO, David Aldridge is far and away the best NBA reporter around. He's the only reporter ESPN has that's worth a hill of beans (except maybe John Clayton, but he can be a real ***.)
    Wow, I was going to say the exact same thing!!! David Aldridge is a top notch reporter!

    That said, I doubt we will make a bad deal for Ron, if in fact we do trade him.

    I wish we would stop judging everything based on playoff performace... i.e. Austin's contract, Ron's potential trade, acquiring SJax...

    The Pacers lost as a team, not only due to Ron Artest!!
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •