Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's watching Fringe?

Default Who's watching Fringe?

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Who's watching Fringe?

I'll watch the premier. I'm picky though, so odds are I won't stay with it beyond the first couple of episodes. I typically try to watch any of the new shows that seem decent - but probably only about 10% at most do I actually keep watching. Probably closer to 5%.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-08-2008 at 03:16 PM.

I've got it scheduled for DVR, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got it scheduled for DVR, so we'll see.
    Same here.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll probably watch it at work. It looks interesting...

Well, did anyone watch it yet

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, it's still on my DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Well, did anyone watch it yet
    I'm traveling on business, so I won't catch it off my DVR until the weekend.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i watched it. i liked it but i hope they can continue to keep this level of quality for a series. I don't trust fox to keep anything good on for very long.

Dunno. Was it good? Yes. Better than most of what's on TV? Yes. Better than Terminator? No. Good enough to be added to my short list of shows I actually watch? Not sure yet.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I was less than impressed. It was OK. The first 20 minutes and the last 15 minutes or so were pretty good - but I was bored for much of the middle.

Might watch it one more time - if I get a chance

Sports Logo

I watched it....my first impression is that it's a cross between X-Files and Lost with JJ Abrams trying to ground it more in the Scientific world then the Paranormal world.

I'll watch it for now...but if it gets too Mulder/Scully-like....I'll probably stop watching it.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I watched it....my first impression is that it's a cross between X-Files and Lost with JJ Abrams trying to ground it more in the Scientific world then the Paranormal world.

I'll watch it for now...but if it gets too Mulder/Scully-like....I'll probably stop watching it.
    You see I watched it and got the exact opposite vibe from this show. To me this was just CSI with conspiracy theories. This was as far removed from the X-files as you can get and still try to capitalize on the paranormal theme (which they are not).

Like Uncle Buck, I was less than impressed. I'll watch it the rest of the season but if it does not improve dramatically I probably won't make the entire series.

To me every single character was a cliche'.

Thought it was OK...main character (Dunham) was kind of weak, but I thought there was some opportunity with the Bishops. I'm hoping to give this a shot. I like "story arc" series, and I am willing to give them longer to get traction for two reasons:

1. It's often difficult to develop characters and capture viewers at the same time. The networks want "Law & Order" or "CSI" type episodic shows where people can drop into the middle of the season and not pick anything up. Often, early episodes in these series get "stuck in between" that master and trying to set the stage. Therefore, I think it's not unreasonable for a show trying to do both to struggle for a good half season or more, focusing on the "stand alone" episodes, but trying to sneak enough "story arc" info in to get traction. If, by the end of the season, there isn't a robust story arc and some developed characters, then the problem is real.

2. Any show that at least attempts to do something more than be an series of stand alone episodes should be given more time to establish itself. The problem with watching a couple of episodes and throwing it over is that the replacement is almost certainly going to be worse, not better. They're not going to dump Fringe because "it's not smart enough" (which may end up being our complaint). They're going to dump it because it's not dumb enough. They'll replace it with some toweringly stupid reality or game show. Shows like "Fringe", "Life", "New Amsterdam" need more runway to succeed so that we have a shot for smarter shows to be given chances on network TV.

I'm not saying it's great, but it is better than "My Fifth Grader has Bigger Tits and can dance better than you."

Second show was...OK. They don't have a real sense of how to balance the story arc with the nature of the stand alone episodes, and I think they're ending up giving both short shrift. However, their biggest flaw may be that lead character. Dunham is really unimpressive and somewhat unlikeable. I don't know whether it's the character or the actress, but it could end up being the biggest problem with me.

I like the Bishops and the interplay there, but if they're planning on having every mystery based on something from Bishop's experiments from his past, I think they'll run out of ideas fast.

Just watched the first episode last night on my DVR. I think it shows a lot of promise. I always give first episodes a pass. It's a bit much to expect non-stop excitement AND establish the main characters. Just about every show I got hooked on didn't WOW me the first episode.

I think Anna Torv is great and I can't take my eyes off her. She has an interesting face and, I think, a pretty watchable presence. Why do you guys think her character is weak/cliche'? How could they make her an agent different, yet still believable? I know it's a small thing, but I liked the rooftop chase and her jumping onto that railing without a second's thought. I saw Sydney Bristow (Alias) in that move. I like they made her a charge forward type. I see a lot of potential with her.

I thought the Bishops fell into rythym way to easy. I want to see them have a real friction between the two for a while. The younger Bishop seemed way to accepting and forgiving way too quickly given the years of resentment and estrangement.

I really liked the pilot. I wasn't blown away, but count55 said, it's a damn sight better than a LOT of the drek out there. I'l keep watching and see what develops.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 09-17-2008 at 05:03 PM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I just found the character overly whiny. It's funny you mention Alias. Regarding Anna Torv, I think she, like Jennifer Garner, is striking, but not particularly pretty or attractive. With both, you take notice the first time you see them, but the more I see them, the more I see the things about them that I don't find particularly attractive.

I also never could generate any interest in Alias, for whatever reason.

As to the Bishops, I don't know where they're going to go with them, but it strikes me that there could be a interesting path exploring the father's basic amorality. He's somewhat sympathetic as a character because he seems like a lost child. However, I think that it could be interesting if they explore the damage that seemingly innocent, but insatiable curiosity and intelligence can cause without any moral compass to guide it. I also think that could be translated onto the son, to some degree. While the obvious ploy is to blame his somewhat scarlet past on the shame and abandonment he felt over what happened with his father, it could also turn out that he has the same type of amorality, but it manifests itself differently and is masked by a more charming personna. Also, it would impact how readily he would adapt to the new situation.

Of course, they could end up going nowhere near this type of path, particularly with the nugget about the son's "medical history" and the wierd little shot of the three men/bodies in the lab towards the end.

Ok, so I just saw episode two. Meh.

I'll give it one more time, then it's being dropped from my queue.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Ok, Ep 3 was better. Not amazing, but good enough to keep watching. Best episode yet.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Ok, Ep 3 was better. Not amazing, but good enough to keep watching. Best episode yet.
    Yeah, probably a fair assessment. However, all of these things being somehow related to Dr. Bishop's past research is going to get real old, real fast. I also question that Bishop was mad that "somebody had perfected his research on the Secret Communication Thingy", but they were using phones to communicate. I thought the point was the "Human Walkie Talkie".

streets ahead

the show clearly doesn't know what it wants to be. on the one hand it wants to be a LOST / 24 type show with a single storyline lasting the entire season or show. on the other it wants to be a Numbers-like procedural (closer to numbers than say Law & Order style procedural).

i agree with count about the research. i think if it were modified and committed more to the single storyline format it could work. the bishop's relationship is too tidy right now. i'll give it probably two more eps to see where its going before i bail.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    the show clearly doesn't know what it wants to be. on the one hand it wants to be a LOST / 24 type show with a single storyline lasting the entire season or show. on the other it wants to be a Numbers-like procedural (closer to numbers than say Law & Order style procedural).

i agree with count about the research. i think if it were modified and committed more to the single storyline format it could work. the bishop's relationship is too tidy right now. i'll give it probably two more eps to see where its going before i bail.
    As I mentioned earlier, this may not be their fault. There was a report about Joss Whedon re-doing the pilot for "The Dollhouse" because Fox was already getting heartburn over "Fringe", and they were already worried about "Dollhouse".

Fox doesn't have the patience for these types of shows. They think they do because of "X-Files", but I never considered "X" to be a serial-type show. I always thought it was closer to "Law & Order" than to any Joss Whedon-type stuff in its structure. Even on the Joss Whedon shows, you'll see a whole lot more "stand alone" eps in the first half of the first season because the network wants to hook an audience.

I wonder if we could slip an amendment onto the bail out bill requiring all hour long drama series to be given a two-year, no cancel commitment from the network. (I wonder if that would have a positive or negative effect on the quality of TV.)

First of all, Fox just committed to a full season of Frainge.

Second, how good was last episode? THAT is the kind of angst I wanted from Walter and Peter. I won't go into a breakdown of the episode, other than to say I love when a series starts to click and I see that maybe happening. I'm still watching, but now with a bit more anticipation.

You guys still watching?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    First of all, Fox just committed to a full season of Frainge.

Second, how good was last episode? THAT is the kind of angst I wanted from Walter and Peter. I won't go into a breakdown of the episode, other than to say I love when a series starts to click and I see that maybe happening. I'm still watching, but now with a bit more anticipation.

You guys still watching?
    I'm down in Carolina this week, so it's on my DVR. (I hope it's on my DVR. Switched to DirecTV on Sunday. Got Sunday Ticket...it was FAAAAAANtastic, but I don't like the DVR functions as well as I liked the DVR on the Insight/Comcast cable I had before.)

I picked up the first season of Millennium on DVD (to watch while I travel). It's been a really long time...it reminds me a lot of Fringe, from a "feel" perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I'm down in Carolina this week, so it's on my DVR. (I hope it's on my DVR. Switched to DirecTV on Sunday. Got Sunday Ticket...it was FAAAAAANtastic, but I don't like the DVR functions as well as I liked the DVR on the Insight/Comcast cable I had before.)

I picked up the first season of Millennium on DVD (to watch while I travel). It's been a really long time...it reminds me a lot of Fringe, from a "feel" perspective.
    It's on Hulu, if you lost the DVR recording. That's how I watch it. I haven't seen this week's ep yet, I'll get it tonight.

Enjoy your time at PD!