View Poll Results: Which pick will the Pacers get if they don't win the lottery?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7

    0 0%
  • 8

    9 19.57%
  • 9

    15 32.61%
  • 10

    22 47.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

  1. #1
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Analysis of remaining games of lottery competitors.

    There's a tight cluster of 4 teams who are vying for the 7-10 picks, the Clippers, Pacers, Knicks, and 76ers. It seems unlikely that the Kings win enough to lose the 6 spot. The difference between pick 7 and pick 10 is important for player quality, but maybe more so lottery odds. The odds of landing a lottery pick are about 4x more likely from 7 than the 10 (44 ping pong balls vs. 11). It would be in our best interest, if the Clips, Knicks, and '6ers could pick up the slack and get a few W's. Here's a look at their schedules for rooting purposes.

    Clippers (27-46):
    March 30th @ Milwaukee
    March 31st @ Toronto
    April 3rd @ Denver
    April 4th vs. Knicks
    April 7th vs. Portland
    April 8th @ Sacramento
    April 10th vs. Golden State
    April 12th vs. Dallas
    April 14th vs. Lakers

    Poor Man's Analysis: Maybe a couple wins, but seems pretty tough.

    Knicks (26-47):
    March 31st @ Portland
    April 2nd @ Golden State
    April 4th @ Clippers
    April 6th vs. Boston
    April 7th @ Indiana
    April 9th @ Orlando
    April 11th vs. Miami
    April 12th vs. Washington
    April 14th @ Toronto

    Poor Man's Analysis. Could be worse. The Pacer game is obviously big. They play the Celtics the night before in LA, the Pacers will be coming off two days of rest.

    76ers (26-47):

    March 30th vs. Oklahoma City
    March 31st @ Charlotte
    April 3rd vs. Toronto
    April 6th vs. Detroit
    April 7th @ Miami
    April 9th vs. Milwaukee
    April 10th @ Memphis
    April 12th vs. Miami
    April 14th @ Orlando

    Poor Man's Analysis: A few winnable games. Overall not bad.

    For comparison:
    Pacers (27-47):

    March 30th vs. Sacramento
    April 2nd vs. Miami
    April 4th vs. Houston
    April 7th vs. Knicks
    April 9th @ Cleveland
    April 10th vs. New Jersey
    April 12th vs. Orlando
    April 14th @ Washington

    Easy wins against NJ and Washington. Will be interesting to see if Orlando rests their starters on the 12th. They'll probably be pretty settled in the 2 seed.
    Last edited by CooperManning; 03-30-2010 at 03:08 AM.

  2. #2
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,302

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    I don't think the Clippers win another game. That Knick game is probably their best bet, but I don't see it. Baron won't play on that upcoming road trip, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he takes the rest of the season off. 27-55.

    Other than the Clippers, I think the Knicks beat the Wizards, and maybe Toronto that final game. They have no reason to tank since the pick isn't theirs, and they have a bunch of players who know that they won't be returning next year so they're playing for contracts. 28-54.

    Philly is tough to try to predict. They blew out the Bucks in Milwaukee and followed it up by beating the Hawks so they're certainly capable of pulling out some wins. The question is, which team shows up? I think they beat Toronto, Detroit, Milwaukee, and hopefully split those Miami games. 30-52.

    We have the easiest schedule out the bunch, by far. 6 out of 8 at home. Only 3 against playoff teams. We should finish strong, but you never know with this group. I think we win 5 out of 8. 32-50.

    10th pick here we come.
    Last edited by Kuq_e_Zi91; 03-30-2010 at 04:18 AM.

  3. #3
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,981

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    [/sarcasm on]We need to win EVERY game!!! let's get that 10th pick! It won't matter! 4th, 5th, 6th, 10th, 14th, 16th pick? Who cares? You can get a starplayer with the 16th pick and a 4th pick can bust too, so who cares [/sarcasm off]
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Absolutely!! Moral victorys carry over to next year in a big way. I'll still be glowing next November iF they wallop Sacromento tonight.
    Last edited by Speed; 03-30-2010 at 07:52 AM.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,981

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely!! Moral victorys carry over to next year in a big way. I'll still be glowing next November is they wallop Sacromento tonight.
    Truer words have never been spoken! And we'll be sticking it to the Kings and their fans next time we play them too that we won this game, because tonight is all that matters, future be damned!

    Also we'll be lecturing them that this Tyreke Evans dude they have sure makes them losers, because they had to be REALLY bad to be able to draft him and that it won't matter anyway, he's going to bust and Earl Clark, James Johnson and above all Tyler are going to be starzzz, bla, bla, bla
    Last edited by Mourning; 03-30-2010 at 07:07 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:


  9. #6

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Walt Whitman wrote, "The future is no more uncertain than the present."

    And you know what? He was wrong.


    So are most of the posts in this and every other thread that insist that this leads to that or that there's only one way to succeed.

    Many people think they are being logical or scientific when all they are doing is grossly oversimplifying the range of possibility.





    .
    Last edited by Putnam; 03-30-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,981

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Walt Whitman wrote, "The future is no more uncertain than the present."

    And you know what? He was wrong.


    So are most of the posts in this and every other thread that insist that this leads to that or that there's only one way to succeed.

    Many people think they are being logical or scientific when all they are doing is grossly oversimplifying the range of possibility.





    .
    Which goes both ways, offcourse...
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  12. #8

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Since you apparently feel you are the smart one here, please enlighten us. I guess all of us idiots are oversimplifying matters when we state that the Pacers odds of getting a better player improve as their draft position rises. That is simple. So why don't you understand that fact? Sure teams can get lucky later in the draft. But to me the premise that we should rely on luck sounds like the planning of a simpleton.

  13. #9

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    I don't know what's going to happen.

    I don't know who'll come out for the draft, or where the Pacers will end up in the standings, or which lottery slot they'll win, or who'll be available to them on draft night, or what trades Bird can swing to change the Pacers draft slot, or how the guy they eventually pick will turn out. I don't know any of that.

    Therefore, I don't assert anything about the future.




    Quote Originally Posted by 31fan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you apparently feel you are the smart one here

    EDIT: You don't have to agree with me, and you don't have to like me. But don't mistake what I'm saying as thinking I know a lot. My whole point is that I know very little and that even the people who know more than me about the possibilities don't know anything for certain.


    .
    .
    Last edited by Putnam; 03-30-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Walt Whitman wrote, "The future is no more uncertain than the present."

    And you know what? He was wrong.


    So are most of the posts in this and every other thread that insist that this leads to that or that there's only one way to succeed.

    Many people think they are being logical or scientific when all they are doing is grossly oversimplifying the range of possibility.





    .

    For sure. I do know it's better to have a choice between cake, pie, ice cream, and rotten fish to eat. Than just Ice cream and rotten fish. Hey, if I pick rotten fish in either scenario, that's on me. At least when I have more choices, I have more options to pick something good.

    Also an underated thing is when you have all of the options, people tend to want to trade you Steak for it. Thats a pretty good thing.

    Now back to rooting for the Pacers to win, while hoping they get a better pick and therefore hoping they lose. Yes, you can do both.

    Side note, if wins right now are valuable for the team, is it because Roy and Brandon forgot what it is to win since Georgetown and Kansas. Or is just the experience of winning helpful by on court time. If it's the latter than the issue isn't winning, but playing time, right?

  16. #11

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Against everything I want my guess is we will be hearing this....

    with the 10th pick the Indiana Pacers select Patrick Patterson

    I would prefer Ekpe Udoh but oh well you cant always get what ya want
    JOB is a silly man

  17. #12
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Walt Whitman wrote, "The future is no more uncertain than the present."

    And you know what? He was wrong.


    So are most of the posts in this and every other thread that insist that this leads to that or that there's only one way to succeed.

    Many people think they are being logical or scientific when all they are doing is grossly oversimplifying the range of possibility.
    .
    There is a 50-50 chance that is is 100% correct.


    Then again....
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  18. #13
    Member Manguera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    I would rather have a better chance at helping our future than ensuring we finish with the most possible wins. And what I mean by that is this... I would be fine if we finished the season on a 8 game winning streak as long as we are keeping the players with no future on this team beyond next season firmly planted on the bench. What's the point of playing those people heavy minutes just to ring up a higher win total? How has that worked out for us the last couple of years? Dumb.

    BTW, I think we'll pick 10th.
    Last edited by Manguera; 03-30-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    A healthy man takes a crap every day. A smart man does it on company time.

  19. #14
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    I picked 8th. I just hope Danny Granger plays next season like he has the last four games and we will not be in the lotto next season.

  20. #15

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    We have the easiest schedule out the bunch, .

    10th pick here we come.


    Couldn't agree more, and have been saying 10th place is where the Pacers will be.

  21. #16
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,555
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Walt Whitman wrote, "The future is no more uncertain than the present."

    And you know what? He was wrong.


    .
    Except for the likelihood of introducing inaccuracy by setting improperly conceived parameters and misapplying flawed metrics that are often utilized incorrectly in accurately determining what the "present" actually consists of to begin with.

    Whitman probably rightly recognized that everyone overlooks the obvious and forms judgements and incorrect opinions regarding any situation based on their imperfect understanding of the world due to reliance on their own previously flawed perceptions.

    I do these things, not just here, and everyone else does too! And that is the imperfect psychological (and often illogical) aspect of human interaction with the world that is one of the core principles of economics and other imperfect sciences.

    So, while the future is likely less certain than the present, the discrepancy is not all that significant at times IMO.

    I think there was once a story about a bunch of blind dudes and an elephant where some thought the elephant was a tree, a rope, a hose (IIRC), and other totally unrelated things that illustrates this better than anything else I have typed here, though...
    Last edited by Brad8888; 03-30-2010 at 11:02 AM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  23. #17
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    In other words....Garbage in, Garbage out.

  24. #18

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Philly is tough to try to predict. They blew out the Bucks in Milwaukee and followed it up by beating the Hawks so they're certainly capable of pulling out some wins.
    If tanking is such a no-brainer, why aren't the 76ers (or any other team) doing it? Those wins were more impressive than any Pacers win in the last month.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whitman probably rightly recognized that everyone overlooks the obvious and forms judgements and incorrect opinions regarding any situation based on their imperfect understanding of the world due to reliance on their own previously flawed perceptions
    Yeps.

  25. #19
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,537

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    We're going to get the 10th worst record in the league....book it. Like always...we'll be the best of the worst.....not surprisingly in "No-Man's Land" where we always are at the end of the regular season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  26. #20

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except for the likelihood of introducing inaccuracy by setting improperly conceived parameters and misapplying flawed metrics that are often utilized incorrectly in accurately determining what the "present" actually consists of to begin with.

    Whitman probably rightly recognized that everyone overlooks the obvious and forms judgements and incorrect opinions regarding any situation based on their imperfect understanding of the world due to reliance on their own previously flawed perceptions.
    I doubt if Whitman meant that. But its a good point.

    Why don't you say it, and we'll leave Whitman off by himself in the mystical moist night air.


















    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  27. #21

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Haikus would help me better understand this conversation.

  28. #22

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    I think you guys should be posting on WWW.philosophersdigest.com. you could be their second and third members.

  29. #23
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,263
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    I guess we could tank several seasons in a row and have a truckload of good players!

  30. #24
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haikus would help me better understand this conversation.
    Lala Lalala
    Lala Lalala Lala
    Lala Haikus Blow

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  32. #25
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Godspeed, Gentlemen!

    So it comes to this
    Haikus are under attack
    Never surrender

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. The Steven A. Smith Heckling Society of Gentlemen Is Back At It
    By JayRedd in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 09:04 PM
  2. Ladies and Gentlemen... your Indiana Fever
    By rabid in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 10:34 PM
  3. Ladies and Gentlemen...
    By Kegboy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 09:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •