Thread: Replacing Edgerrin James

Zesty

Default Replacing Edgerrin James

As you may or may not be aware, the Colts have several players entering the last years of their contracts, with the two biggest names being Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James. It's an absolute fact that the Ponies won't be able to afford to keep the trio intact after this season, and from what I've read, we'll be spending the money to keep Marvin, since it's much harder to get a top-tier WR than a solid RB.

With that being the case, what do you guys see happening with the Colts' RB situation after this season? I'm not nearly as familiar with trade scenarios and restrictions in the NFL as I am with the NBA, so I don't know if we could do a sign and trade at the end of the season to get some high draft picks and use one of those on a new back, or if we'll hope that Dominic Rhodes can come back from his injury and improve on his performance from two seasons ago when he ran for over 1,000 yds when Edge tore his ACL. Thoughts?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Replacing Edgerrin James

I think we will run with one of the four running backs we have. The colts dont usually spend big money on free agents at least not on the offensive end.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I'm going to be happy Edgerrin will be leaving. He has not really impressed me since his injury. Although, that's probably not his fault. He has so many habits that drive me nuts and cost the Colts yardage.

I think Dominic would be a good "replacement." I think the Colts need a small, quick RB who can catch and block well. I think they should, if not already, be a pass-happy team. Young, inexpensive RBs are what the Colts should get, IMO. That way, they can spend a little more money on defense from now on.

As long as the Colts have Peyton, they'll be a good offensive team.

I don't want Edge to leave. Of course I don't want Marvin to leave either. The next off-season is going to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't want Edge to leave. Of course I don't want Marvin to leave either. The next off-season is going to suck.
    But when your only choice is to sign either the best WR in the game or one of the many good RBs in the league, I think the decision on whom to keep is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Quote Originally Posted by cramerica
    But when your only choice is to sign either the best WR in the game or one of the many good RBs in the league, I think the decision on whom to keep is clear.
    I know, and believe me, I love Marvin and your right that the choice is clear. It's just I love the Edge and I don't want him to leave. This is to depressing.

Interestingly, now that Edge's skills have declined he's seems to be much more of a team player.

I wonder if he was to get back to where he was before the injury if he would continue to be a 'team player' on and off the field?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Edge won't be with us next year. There is no doubt in my mind any of the Florida teams would offer more to have him than we would and he would be happy to go home even at less.

[edit=18=1090599954][/edit]
    [edit=18=1090600010][/edit]
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Edge helps us so much though. He does stuff much much better than Rhodes or anyone else,

Do you guys notice that Denver's RBs are always good? I say we trade for one of their RBs...since they have a lot.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What about Stephen Jackson? No, not the SJax on the Pacers......The Oregon State running back. He fits our offense well, like Edge did. Of course more would have to be involved in the trade but i think he will be a very good RB

RA231

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg44
    What about Stephen Jackson? No, not the SJax on the Pacers......The Oregon State running back. He fits our offense well, like Edge did. Of course more would have to be involved in the trade but i think he will be a very good RB
    I dont like Stephan Jackson, IMO he is going to be a bust.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[quote=MSA2CF]I'm going to be happy Edgerrin will be leaving. He has not really impressed me since his injury. Although, that's probably not his fault.[ /quote]

Funny I feel the same way , but I think you do need to get someone who can replace him , you become a 1 deminsional team if you have no running game and that becomes easy to defend.

Rhodes could be the answer but I dunno to be honest , he did have 1 good season then a injury , maybe we will get too see alittle more of him this year.

RA231

Funny I feel the same way , but I think you do need to get someone who can replace him , you become a 1 deminsional team if you have no running game and that becomes easy to defend.

Rhodes could be the answer but I dunno to be honest , he did have 1 good season then a injury , maybe we will get too see alittle more of him this year.
    I like Rhodes, but he is a smaller quicker back and doesnt have much power in his game. I also dont think he can withstand the punishment of being the number 1 back. I question his ability to get short distance runs. So I would either draft or trade for a power back to share his carries with. Greg Jones comes to mind. I dont know how much he would cost though. What do you all think of having a one two punch of Rhodes and Jones? I dont think it will be as effective as James but who knows.

I thought I read somewhere that the Colts were going to try to sign Marvin long-term and designate Edge as the franchise player. This may make Edge unhappy, but I believe doing that would allow the Colts to give him a one-year contract at the average of the top 5 RB's salaries in the league. Since Manning's contract is still cap-friendly through next year, I believe they can afford to do this through next year. It would be the following year that they would probably have to let him walk, according to something I read a few weeks ago.
    Can we get a new color commentator please?