Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 197

Thread: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

  1. #76
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It didn't help their draft stock? Are you serious? Both Roy and Tyler were picked in the first round which equals GUARANTEED millions. Clearly, they made the correct decision for thieir financial future. I don't want to get in an internet fight either, but you are wrong here chief.
    Roy and Tyler were ALREADY PROJECTED to the first round the prior year. Tyler was rated around 20-22nd his final 3 seasons (which is why I say Bird reached on him, he was being mocked at 20th).

    Roy actually FELL in his draft standing.

    They both stayed because of the program, their belief in it, belief in the coach, education, etc.

    Even Blake Griffin took a risk simply to move from 6-7th to 1st, which was in no way certain going into his sophmore year. He improved, he bet on himself and won. Had he remained the same it likely would have lowered his stock because the feeling becomes (as it was with Roy and Tyler) that they've tapped out their potential and hit their ceiling.


    I like kids that stay in school longer because you learn the sport more and it tends to show some level of character. Frankly I think Jennings showed character by manning up and taking on a challenge even bigger than college, which is to move to a foreign country completely and then sticking with it even when things were rough for him.


    And as was said, there's more to life than money. What price does an 80 year old man put on one more year of being 21 and in college? I'll bet it's more than a couple million dollars.

    Staying in school can make your career better or it can hurt your draft stock. It's an unknown factor. There are pros and cons to it and not just a few of them.

  2. #77
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Like Curry, Haywards stock is pretty high(All time high for him?). Can it get any higher? Probably not, in this day and age you need to leave when you are hot!! I believe Hibbert did hurt his stock by staying an extra year, but not Tyler.
    As for Drafting Hayward in the lottery, his postion is not a position of need for us. If he was at the top of our draft board do you take position of need or best player available? At our pick he probably won't even be BPA.
    The only way I want to get Hayward is by trading and drafting 15-20 range.
    There are always people who want to draft the local boy and we never draft them. We did skip on Alford, right.

  3. #78
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Saying he's peaked now, then following up with saying you don't know what the future holds is a pretty direct contradiction.

    If you don't know what the future holds, then how do you know he's peaked?

    As far as Coach K's comments, I think there's a little PC in his words.

  4. #79
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well the whole point of a education is to make money so why would he turn down millions in guranteed money unless he could improve his draft stock to make more money. A guy named Hummel may be enough to convince him that the time is now.

    IT would also be dumb not to declare for the draft and hold off on a agent just to see where your stock is. Oh and I am sure Brad has told him to wait until after the tournament so its not a distraction to the team.
    Not to be a douche too much, but I disagree that the whole point of education is to make money.

    People make money without college or "education". It's certainly not why colleges original formed. Plato wasn't holding court so kids could get into the big bucks.

    There's something to be said for expanding your awareness of the world and how things work. Money is just a thing used to barter, it's the stuff you barter for that has real value. An education might get you to the stuff you want without ever getting you money, or it might change what you want, etc.

    Plenty of people chase the most money, but not everyone. There are lots of people who chase happiness before money and find it without the big money.

    Look no further than guys like Coach K. He's not hurting at Duke, but clearly he's had money thrown at him to leave there and go to the pros from time to time. He happens to like what he's already doing, and I'd bet he'd do it for less money even.

    Let's say a financial company offers to have him as a token VP of whatever for $2m more a year than he makes. I don't think he'd leave for that job at all.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  6. #80
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well the whole point of a education is to make money
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  7. #81
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My opinion is shaped by what I've observed, not what I can research.

    You're right, Curry did leave after his Jr. year, but there was a pretty high demand after his Soph season. That was his high point, that's when Bradley made their deepest run.
    I'd be interested to find out when it was that you observed Curry playing for Bradley.

  8. #82

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Just cause somebody post on digest that claims they know Gordan since childhood is worthless.

    I am just saying I would take the guarnteed million dollar contract b/c his stock has peaked now, It is @ its highest.

    I believe money should be the key for anybody in life

    he should cash in @ the best chance!!!! Which is now.

    Wow, comments from someone who knows Hayward is worthless, but your comments hold value. That's really interesting!

    But you AREN'T Hayward. Who are you to say Hayward is at his highest
    peak as a college player? Are you clairvoyant and can see in the future? You nor anyone else knows that for certain.



    Snipping this before it becomes an argument that has no place on PD. Not your fault; it just is what it is


  9. #83
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Justin change your name to miss Cleo, You have no right to say if he goes or not. I agree with all that say the point of college is to make money. I stated if Butler wins the final 4 and Steven leaves Gordan should go pro and cash in while his stock is high.

    You can argue with me all you want but have I believe 100% his stock will not get any higher than now and he should go pro b/c he has a chance of being a top ten pick this year.

    I am have stated my case but you should give more facts than opinions. We can disagree but give good points,

    Removed

    Gordan is an adult and he should make his own decisons. I feel he would help the Pacers next season selling tickets and being a 6'9 PG!!!

  10. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Jonathan;980470]
    he should go pro b/c he has a chance of being a top ten pick this year.


    I feel he would help the Pacers next season selling tickets and being a 6'9 PG!!!

  11. #85

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to be a douche too much, but I disagree that the whole point of education is to make money.

    People make money without college or "education". It's certainly not why colleges original formed. Plato wasn't holding court so kids could get into the big bucks.

    There's something to be said for expanding your awareness of the world and how things work. Money is just a thing used to barter, it's the stuff you barter for that has real value. An education might get you to the stuff you want without ever getting you money, or it might change what you want, etc.

    Plenty of people chase the most money, but not everyone. There are lots of people who chase happiness before money and find it without the big money.
    A big generalization on my part but for the most part its spot on for college degrees. Education of course goes outside of that but I would argue that universities do a pretty poor job of "expanding your awareness of the world."

    By the way I work for a university and love it so its not like I am just bashing college for the fun of it. When you work in the system you see how much universities are less about "Plato's court" and more about money.
    Good article in the star about athletics and graduation.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ayers-graduate

    Now back to the thread.

    I think there is 0 chance we draft him even if he enters this draft. He honestly reminds me of Dunleavy for some reason. Probably more athletic than Dun but I wouldn't get all excited about Hayward as a pacer.

  12. #86

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hummel isn't anywhere near the lotto, so that's a moot point. IMHO.

    If you think players should just chase the money, when they can, maybe talking to a guy like Lenny Cook would open up some eyes.
    Hummel isn't near the lotto and neither is Hayward IMO, so how is that a moot point?

    I always love it when people point to extreme exceptions to argue a point.

    How about letting players make up their own minds? Such a weird thought, I know...
    I didn't know I was making the decision for him.... So what your saying is you want me to put IMHO IMHO IMHO after everything I say.

  13. #87

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ........ Gordan .......... Gordan .......... Gordan .......... Gordan .......... Gordan .......... Gordan
    Yo, Sparky ............ it's Gordon.
    Carry on humbled one.

  14. #88
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,769

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote





  15. #89
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,769

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    I like Hayward, but not at a lotto price. I would take him if we could grab a late 1st rounder.

  16. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Bird has been trying to do that for the past year or so. This summer might be easier to move him because his contract is expiring, but other than that, we're stuck with him
    Either that or Bird thinks he's one of our best players.

  17. #91
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,983

    Thumbs up Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote







    hahaha I see your above quoted post and "Call" you with this one ..







    THEN... I "RAISE" you .. with ... this next one ..



    LMAO!!
    Last edited by Kemo; 04-03-2010 at 04:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  18. #92
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,631

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Hayward, but not at a lotto price. I would take him if we could grab a late 1st rounder.
    That's what I'm thinking.....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  19. #93

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    CONGRATS TO BUTLER for their win over Michigan State!

    GO DAWGS! GO DAWGS! GO DAWGS!


    Gordon Hayward is a nice player, but he's not worth using a lottery pick on. He probably makes Jimmy's mouth water with the 3's, and a great FT shooter too. If this game is indicitive of his game he has no mid-range game and isn't good at creating his own shot. He needs to stay in college for at least another year and work on his game. If he comes out now, he won't make it in the NBA very long.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  21. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    I agree Justin, I only see him as the next Kobe Karl if he enters the NBA

  22. #95
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,236

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like Curry, Haywards stock is pretty high(All time high for him?). Can it get any higher? Probably not, in this day and age you need to leave when you are hot!! I believe Hibbert did hurt his stock by staying an extra year, but not Tyler.
    As for Drafting Hayward in the lottery, his postion is not a position of need for us. If he was at the top of our draft board do you take position of need or best player available? At our pick he probably won't even be BPA.
    The only way I want to get Hayward is by trading and drafting 15-20 range.
    There are always people who want to draft the local boy and we never draft them. We did skip on Alford, right.
    We also skipped on Larry Bird. Hayward is more than Alford, I just don't know how much.
    He is a winner, I know that. He rebounds well and has great handles for a big.
    Would Larry let the hometown kid with talent slip through his fingers after what happened to him?
    Do you take that chance?
    A talented player who would help the team and the fan numbers. It would be nice to get him with another first.
    Last edited by owl; 04-03-2010 at 09:58 PM.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  23. #96
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    owl,

    We skipped on Bird because financially we couldn't afford to wait a year for him or we couldn't afford to sign him (I think the former, but maybe the latter?).

    As for Hayward, I don't see a lot of NBA promise there. I think he could latch onto a team, but he'll probably never be a top-6 player on anyone's roster.

  24. #97
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,236

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    At least that was the excuse. The point was the Pacers let the local boy slip through their fingers. I find it very ironic that Bird is in a position to have to do something similar.
    I see enough talent there that he is worth going after for more than one reason. You just can't afford to be wrong twice. If they had drafted Bird the dollars would have been instantly recouped when he signed on the dotted line. Don't make the same mistake.
    Hayward has been a winner in HS and now is in the championship. Not calling him Bird, just a good player who can help this franchise survive.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  25. #98
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least that was the excuse. The point was the Pacers let the local boy slip through their fingers. I find it very ironic that Bird is in a position to have to do something similar.
    I see enough talent there that he is worth going after for more than one reason. You just can't afford to be wrong twice. If they had drafted Bird the dollars would have been instantly recouped when he signed on the dotted line. Don't make the same mistake.
    Hayward has been a winner in HS and now is in the championship. Not calling him Bird, just a good player who can help this franchise survive.
    i totally agree, why do you think they brought McRoberts here? Lots of money in the Carmel area, that means a handfull more season ticket holders for a guy who is riding your bench as the 4th big man in your normal rotation. That was a no brainer to ask for him in the trade 2 years ago.

    Who has a higher ceiling, Hayward or McRoberts. Hayward has as much talent as any 6-9 player in the draft this year. The kid can play. He probably won't be a 10 ten pick, but if the pacers felt so inclined to trade down and pick up an extra pick and take him. I'd be thrilled.

  26. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    I am sorry guys but Hayward is not Larry Bird, he would be a really lucky guy if he gets drafted in the 1st round, there is nothing and I mean nothing in his game that makes him an NBA player, he is not that good of a shooter, decent defender, not quick enough in offense or defense, he is just ok in college, what makes you think that he could be better against better players in the NBA?

  27. #100
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: should we draft Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least that was the excuse. The point was the Pacers let the local boy slip through their fingers. I find it very ironic that Bird is in a position to have to do something similar.
    I see enough talent there that he is worth going after for more than one reason. You just can't afford to be wrong twice. If they had drafted Bird the dollars would have been instantly recouped when he signed on the dotted line. Don't make the same mistake.
    Hayward has been a winner in HS and now is in the championship. Not calling him Bird, just a good player who can help this franchise survive.
    Maybe, but the thing that needs to be made perfectly clear is that Hayward is lightyears away from being a mistake on par with passing on Larry Bird. I mean, he's much closer to being the next Steve Alford than he is the next Larry Bird.

    Until I know/see more of him:

    Bird
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -Hayward
    -
    -
    - Alford

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 03:27 PM
  2. Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 12:16 AM
  3. The PD NBA Draft
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM
  4. Mock expansion draft
    By ChicagoJ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 04:08 PM
  5. 4-16-2004
    By Ragnar in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 01:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •