Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What prospects are hot and not

  1. #1
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default What prospects are hot and not

    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name=nba_draft

    (Chad Ford)
    Who's hot

    John Wall, PG, Freshman, Kentucky


    Wall's biggest weakness? Shooting. So what does he do? Goes 6-for-10 from behind the arc in the tournament. And about those crazy turnovers: He's sporting a 2.5:1 assist-to-turnover ratio so far. What else do you want?


    Wesley Johnson, F, Junior, Syracuse



    Johnson battled injuries in January and February, but he's back to full health now. He just destroyed Gonzaga with 31 points and 14 rebounds in what may have been his best game of the year. If Johnson does this the whole tournament, he'll make a very strong run at the No. 3 pick in the draft.


    Al-Farouq Aminu, F, Sophomore, Wake Forest


    Aminu is known as a terrific athlete. But is he a basketball player? He answered the question in a big way against Texas, doing a little bit of everything to lead Wake Forest to a win. He was less impressive versus Kentucky, and there are still questions about his ability to shoot with any range. But the last impression of Aminu was, largely, a positive one.


    Eric Bledsoe, PG, Freshman, Kentucky


    GMs love Bledsoe's toughness and speed, but they've questioned his offensive abilities. Bledsoe has responded by shooting the lights out his last four games including nailing 8-of-9 3s in the first round. In a draft devoid of point guards, he's making a late charge for the lottery.


    Quincy Pondexter, G/F, Senior, Washington


    Pondexter has had a terrific senior season. However, scouts are always a bit skeptical of seniors having breakout years and are doubly skeptical given the weak competition he faced this season. But Pondexter is now strutting his stuff on the big stage -- proving to Marquette and New Mexico that he's no fluke. Given his NBA body and athleticism, I think his stock is on the rise.


    Elias Harris, F, Freshman, Gonzaga


    Harris wasn't spectacular, but he was solid against two very athletic teams in Florida State and Syracuse and looked as though he belonged. He still needs some work in the skill department, but NBA coaches kill for players with his motor. He probably will stay in school another year, but if he declares, I think he secured himself a first-round pick with this tournament performance.


    Jordan Crawford, G, Sophomore, Xavier


    Crawford's claim to fame was dunking on LeBron James at the Nike Skills Academy this summer. He's had a terrific season for Xavier but has struggled to boost his draft stock, thanks to a number of naysayers who see him as a pretty selfish player. That may be the case, but he's reminding NBA scouts at the tournament that he's also a very talented scorer who can put points on the board in a hurry. Crawford scored 28 against Minnesota and followed with 27 against Pittsburgh. Not only is he terrific attacking the basket, he's also showing off impressive range on his jumper. Of all the players who were stuck in second-round limbo, Crawford has done the most to make his case for a serious look in the first round.


    Durrell Summers, G, Junior, Michigan State


    Some GMs had Summers as a potential lottery pick this summer coming off a big NCAA tournament last year. Summers has been very inconsistent all year but is picking up his game at the right time. He scorched Maryland and got those GMs buzzing again. It's all upside with Summers, but it's a big upside.


    Omar Samhan, C, Senior, St. Mary's


    Samhan was considered a marginal prospect coming into the tournament. Now? How do you argue with a 6-foot-11 big man who dropped 29 points and 12 rebounds on Richmond and then followed it up with 34 and 7 against Villanova. Critics (and there are plenty) will point out that Samhan has no lift and that he's played against two teams that lacked size up front. But whenever you encounter a player with his size and touch in the paint, he's going to get a serious look. Samhan may not have guaranteed himself a draft pick, but he's just booked himself a bunch of NBA workouts. If he can slim down and show a little more explosiveness in workouts, he'll suddenly get very, very popular.


    Jacob Pullen, G, Junior, Kansas State


    Pullen has gotten light interest from scouts all year. He's a 6-1 shooting guard, and there just isn't a lot of interest in guys like that. But his play on both sides of the ball in the tournament has reminded scouts that Pullen might be an Aaron Brooks-type player in the pros. He can really shoot with range and has quick hands. I doubt he'll declare for the draft, but at least he's on the radar.


    Ryan Wittman, F, Senior, Cornell


    Wittman isn't a great athlete, but the guy can really shoot. From anywhere. He can launch it from deep and has a great midrange game. His quick release should allow him to get it off in the pros. Is he that much different from Jason Kapono?



    A mixed bag

    Evan Turner, G, Junior, Ohio State


    Turner's shot hasn't been falling, and he continues to turn the ball over at an alarming rate, but his near triple-double against Georgia Tech reminds us again that he's the most complete player in college basketball.


    Derrick Favors, PF, Freshman, Georgia Tech


    Do us all a favor and get out of Georgia Tech. The way his guards have ignored him all year is criminal. After a solid first game, Favors didn't score until the second half against Ohio State. Is he raw? Sure. But if he had a point guard who could get him the ball, he would dominate.


    Greg Monroe, F/C, Sophomore, Georgetown


    Monroe's numbers were solid against Ohio (19 points, 13 boards, six assists), but those who question Monroe's heartbeat just got more ammunition. He's too content to blend when he needs to carry. Monroe said after the game he's staying at Georgetown for another year. We'll see. His draft stock is as high as it's going to get.


    Darington Hobson, G/F, Junior, New Mexico


    A wrist injury kept Hobson from having the breakout performance he was hoping for. He was solid, but he didn't really make the big impact on either end of the floor that scouts were looking for.


    Jordan Hamilton, F, Freshman, Texas


    What was the difference between Hamilton in the first round and his play over the rest of the season? He hit more of his wild shots than he made. If this were your first time watching him, you'd fall in love. But watch the game film all year. He's every NBA coach's worst nightmare -- a talented player who thinks he's way better than he actually is right now.


    Jimmer Fredette, PG, Junior, BYU


    Fredette's huge game against Florida (37 points) got everyone buzzing. Not only is Fredette a dead-eye shooter, he's a relentless prober who can wiggle his way through the thinnest of seams to get to the basket. His first game had shades of Stephen Curry at Davidson two years ago. But Kansas State slowed him down considerably in the second round. More damning was Fredette's defense, or lack thereof. Some NBA scouts see him as a late first-round pick. I think late second round is more realistic.


    Iman Shumpert, PG, Sophomore, Georgia Tech


    Shumpert has been offensively challenged all year. He's struggled to find his range just about anywhere on the floor. But his defense? Wow. He did a remarkable job on James Anderson and Evan Turner. If he can get it going offensively as a junior, he's got the chance to be a lottery pick in 2011.


    Keith Benson, C, Junior, Oakland


    Benson has been putting up big numbers all year, and the tournament was no exception. He had 28 points and nine rebounds against Pittsburgh and showed off his huge upside. But don't be too fooled. He's a terrible defender and needs to add a lot of strength. Will he get some second-round love? Sure. But if he wants to crack the first round, he needs to head back to school.



    Who hurt themselves

    James Anderson, SG, Junior, Oklahoma State


    After doing so much this season to convince skeptical GMs that he's an NBA player, he was destroyed by Iman Shumpert in the first round. Anderson looked as though he lacked the explosiveness and the ballhandling skills to excel in the league. But don't overreact yet. Anderson has been great against some very athletic backcourts (see Kansas) and this was just one game. James Harden stank up the tournament last year and still went No. 3.


    Sherron Collins, PG, Senior, Kansas


    Collins was terrible when Kansas needed him most. After bailing out the Jayhawks in numerous late-game situations during the season, Collins just couldn't get it done against Northern Iowa. He was pressing, taking bad shots and turning the ball over way too much. Collins almost redeemed himself in the closing seconds of the game, but Kansas fell short, and it's going to hurt him. I was joking when I said via Twitter that I'd drop him 50 spots on the Big Board. But, I think it's safe to say that any dreams Collins had of cracking the first round may have just shattered.


    Damion James, F, Senior, Texas


    James had a great senior season but went out with a whimper in the tournament. Why does one bad game hurt a guy who's been consistently good all season? Because scouts have wanted to see him matched up against a long, athletic forward like Al-Farouq Aminu. That's the type of guy he'll be playing against every night in the NBA. The result? Aminu looked like a lottery pick. James? Not so much.


    Scottie Reynolds, PG, Senior, Villanova


    Reynolds spent much of his senior year trying to prove to NBA scouts that, despite his lack of athleticism, he could be a good pro. That dream came apart in the tournament after Reynolds shot a horrific 4-for-26 from the field against Robert Morris and Saint Mary's. He forced everything and looked nothing like the player who led Villanova deep last year. These two performances could be the final nail in the coffin for Reynolds' draft stock.


    Luke Harangody, PF, Senior, Notre Dame


    For a guy who has been a consistent beast on the offensive end of the floor, watching Harangody score just four points against Old Dominion in the first round was a bit of a shock. He came into the season hopeful that he could convince NBA scouts that he's a first-round pick. He ends the season praying he gets drafted, period.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Good article by Ford, though it's not as if anyone on his "not hot" list was really that great of an NBA prospect to begin with. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward and he doesn't say anything too outlandish (by his standards anyways).

  4. #3
    Member Daniel33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    I love Samhan, its great to watch him killing his opponents in the post.

  5. #4
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Jordan Crawford would be a great Pacers addition. He reminds me of what we all hoped Brandon Rush would be - the SG of the future. He has that killer instinct a lot like Granger and he's actually better off the dribble and has more range on his jumper than Danny had coming out of college.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  6. #5
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good article by Ford, though it's not as if anyone on his "not hot" list was really that great of an NBA prospect to begin with. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward and he doesn't say anything too outlandish (by his standards anyways).
    Yeah, but it does have a lot of his "hey, I just started watching kids when this tourney thing got going" angle.

    Collins started hurting his draft stock about 5 months ago when the NCAA season started, just for an example.

    And this...
    But Pondexter is now strutting his stuff on the big stage -- proving to Marquette and New Mexico that he's no fluke.
    Errr...not bad teams but not prospect benchmark matchups. I think his outing against West Virginia and their slew of talented defensive wings was a better indicator of his impact level.

    If he had fared well there I would have been impressed. Nice kid, early 2nd round perhaps, mostly there because he worked on his jumper so much. He typically does not stand out as an ultra-quick or explosive player (see Bledsoe, Aminu, Robinson, Wes Johnson...).

    What some of these guys forget is that to really make it you've got to destroy people at times. Maybe your teammates let you down (see Turner or Lawal/Favors or Aminu or Robinson) but you better at least have moments where you are doing more than just making a "nice play". You've got to make people's jaws drop from time to time.

    Otherwise you won't have enough in a league where every player can surprise you, even the duds.


    BTW, my rule of thumb for prospects in the tourney - if you weren't drooling before the tourney then don't change your mind now. The only thing I use the tourney for is a gut check on already well regarded prospects, looking to see which top guys raise their game and which guys might lack that extra fire or clutch play.

    Plenty of non-prospects find these brief runs of inspirational play to carry their team farther. Just look at the roster of every final 4 team ever and find 1 or 2 guys per team that didn't make it in the NBA but had a great tourney. Pretty easy to do.

    Ford's got a whole list of high risks, guys who no one cared about till 2 weeks ago, and don't think scouts weren't at the occasional Kansas St, Xavier or Gonzaga game months ago. I mean Nevada has 2 well-regarded prospects and they certainly aren't a big name, national TV school.

  7. #6

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Baylor has the most athletic NBA ready players I have seen on a team this year. We could get a huge steal with one of their guards in the second round especially Dunn.
    JOB is a silly man

  8. #7

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jordan Crawford would be a great Pacers addition. He reminds me of what we all hoped Brandon Rush would be - the SG of the future. He has that killer instinct a lot like Granger and he's actually better off the dribble and has more range on his jumper than Danny had coming out of college.
    Jordan Crawford is one of the most selfish players I've layed eyes on. I would not want him at the cost of a first round pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love Samhan, its great to watch him killing his opponents in the post.
    He did real well last night, against the type of guys that he would be seeing in the nba nightly...

  9. #8

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Depsite the loss, I think it's unfair to put Turner in the "mixed bag" slot.

    I had repeated this a few times, it hurts the player and it hurts the team to make a non point guard play point. Ohio State did just that, and Turner struggled with point guard duties because of it. (not with his game, with PG duties) play him at SG or SF and he's no longer a "mixed bag"

  10. #9

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jordan Crawford is one of the most selfish players I've layed eyes on. I would not want him at the cost of a first round pick.
    I smell a bitter IU fan. Sure he shoots a lot but he has that killer instinct you can't teach, not to mention the scoring ability to back it up. Is that such a bad thing? Also, he's only a sophomore, I doubt he'll leave this year considering Xavier has everybody back expect one player next year. He might be worth a 1st round pick in a year or two.

  11. #10

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedConfusion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I smell a bitter IU fan. Sure he shoots a lot but he has that killer instinct you can't teach, not to mention the scoring ability to back it up. Is that such a bad thing? Also, he's only a sophomore, I doubt he'll leave this year considering Xavier has everybody back expect one player next year. He might be worth a 1st round pick in a year or two.
    How can I be bitter that we go TOM CREAN!!!!

  12. #11
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    is jordan crawford related to jamaal crawford?
    I think they are both from MI and they kinda look alike I thought too

  13. #12

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is jordan crawford related to jamaal crawford?
    I think they are both from MI and they kinda look alike I thought too
    not sure, but I know his older brother Joe crawford graduated from UK a couple years ago

  14. #13
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,986

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    On WVU, that Joe Mazzulla kid whom is a relative unknown , is playing like an All American with massive heart in this kentucky game... lol

    He is just scoring and doin all the right things for WVU in this big game ..

    What's crazy , is his point avg is only like 2.2 per game lol


    .
    West Virginia is totally dismantling Kentucky in this game


    11:53 left in the 2nd half
    and the score is 47-36


    Unless Kentucky can pull something deep out their a** , It is looking like they are gonna get put out the tourney this game with as good as WVU has been playing them thus far.. It looks like they have KY's number tonight ..

    ...



    .

    .
    Last edited by Kemo; 03-27-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  15. #14

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On WVU, that Mazulla kid whom is a relative unknown , is playing with massive heart in this kentucky game...
    I think he just passed his season high (8)

    and I might be a John Wall jinx. Everytime I watch the kid he gets outplayed by the opposing PG. I know he's supposed to be amazing, I'd like to see it.

  16. #15
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,986

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    just as you say that , Wall makes an amazing circus shot and gets the and-1



    .
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  17. #16

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    just as you say that , Wall makes an amazing circus shot and gets the and-1



    .
    Nah, it's further evidence, I flipped the channel and didn't see it.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  19. #17

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On WVU, that Joe Mazzulla kid whom is a relative unknown , is playing like an All American with massive heart in this kentucky game... lol

    He is just scoring and doin all the right things for WVU in this big game ..

    What's crazy , is his point avg is only like 2.2 per game lol


    .
    West Virginia is totally dismantling Kentucky in this game


    11:53 left in the 2nd half
    and the score is 47-36


    Unless Kentucky can pull something deep out their a** , It is looking like they are gonna get put out the tourney this game with as good as WVU has been playing them thus far.. It looks like they have KY's number tonight ..

    ...



    .

    .
    he basically only has one arm, which makes what he's doing even more impressive. very tough kid

  20. #18
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,986

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he basically only has one arm, which makes what he's doing even more impressive. very tough kid

    well what he lacks in arms, he has clearly made up for it in heart...

    Exactly what is wrong with his arm btw?





    .
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  21. #19

    Default Re: What prospects are hot and not

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well what he lacks in arms, he has clearly made up for it in heart...

    Exactly what is wrong with his arm btw?





    .
    not exactly sure, I think he injured it last season in the big east tournament. They said something about bone rubbing against bone earlier in this game

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •