Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Overall the Colts did a fantastic in the draft.

Hughes will give us that pass rush we have been dying for whenever Freeney is injured or is taking a rest. Mathis routinely gets shut down when the OL can focus on him and we have nobody that could take advantage of those one on one opportunties. He is also a nice guy to have in obvious passing downs. Maybe Freeney could move to DT and Hughes come in and have Hughes, Freeney, Mathis, and Johnson out there to go after the QB on passing downs.

We got our replacement for Brackett.

We added some nice depth at corner.

We got the best blocking TE in the draft. He should easily move in as the second TE on the team and will be fantastic when we are on the goalline.

I love getting Fisher and Brandon James. Both could be great at KR/PR.

The whirlwind of Patriots draft day trades can be hard to follow, but this analysis is pretty amazing.

Last year when they were on the clock in the first round, I REALLY wanted them to pick Clay Matthews Jr. but instead they traded down TWICE, out of the first round, getting Darius Butler (probable starting CB this year), plus a third round pick (possible starting WR Brandon Tate) and a 7th round pick (probable starting WR Julian Edelman), and another 3rd round pick, which they traded for a 2nd round pick this year, that became Gronkowski, the probable starter at TE.

Then this year I wanted them to take the sliding Dez Bryant. Instead they traded both down (4 times?) and up (twice), picking probably nickle corner McCourtney and also gaining two extra 3rd round picks, a 4th round pick, and a 5th round pick. Then one of the third rounders was traded to Carolina for a #2 next year, the other became WR Travis Price (4.4 speed), the 4th became TE Aaron Hernandez (rated by most as the best receiving TE/HB in the draft), and the 5th became likely starting punter Zolan Mesko. i think they also got a 7th rounder in deals somewhere, a big T from Vandy.

So instead of this haul over the past two years:
    Clay Matthews Jr.
    Dez Bryant

those picks were parlayed into:

Darius Butler (starting CB)
    Gronkowski (starting TE)
    McCourtney (nickle corner, #1 KR, starter down the road)
    Aaron Hernandez (H-back, best receiving TE, regular in 2 TE sets)
    Julian Edelman (starting #2 WR with Welker hurt)
    Tate & Price: competing with Aiken and Holt for starting receivers spot 3 and backup spots 4&5 before Welker returns (if at all, this year anyway)
    Mesko (#1 ranked punter in the draft)
    a project backup O-lineman in the 7th
    Carolina's 2nd round pick next year

Kind of amazing to consider, since the draft is inherently a leap of faith and anyone can be a bust, that by being incredibly active and selective you can amass so many picks to dramatically improve the depth of talent on the roster as a whole.

Did they sacrifice quality for quantity? I guess it depends upon the careers of Matthews and Bryant, but it can arguably be said that the Patriots got the players that they wanted but traded down to get more picks, and used those to get 8 quality players instead of 2, including a whole host of potential starters.

I know that this is a Colts forum, but you have to be at least a bit impressed by "trader Bill" and his approach to the draft.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 04-26-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that this is a Colts forum, but you have to be at least a bit impressed by "trader Bill" and his approach to the draft.
    Slick I am not a Patriot fan but i have been impressed with a few of their moves like the Moss trade and the Welker trade. As far as the draft picks are concerned I am a impressed by the quantity but I am not sure if that translates to quality starters.

To me Edelman is a quality athlete but he had some pretty bad drops in some games last year. If thats your number 2 wr then I would be concerned.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the Pats had to address their defensive line. The trade of Richard Seymour hurt them IMO and now they have let go of Adalius Thomas. You bring in some young talent but you are asking a lot of some rookies.

I think my biggest concern would be that division. It use to be that the AFC East was like the AFC South. You could pretty much win it every year but now its more competive. THe Jets defense is incredible now with the off season moves that they made. The dolphins are not bad either with a strong running game and Bradon Marshall. I would also say that Chad Henne is a better qb than Orton so don't think that Marshalls catches are going to disappear.

THe AFC East is going to fun to watch this year and I hope the BIlls win the division so the Colts can walk to another superbowl.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-26-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Coming into the draft I thought that the Patriots needs were TE, OLB, ILB, DE, and WR depth.

Granted, they didn't do much of anything about right DE. The plan seems to be to replace Jarvis Green, who was himself a poor replacement for Seymour, with newly signed free agents Gerard Warren and Damione Lewis and/or Mike Wright. Not great, but hopefully servicable.

As to the Jets, I hope that their clubhouse implodes. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington to LT and rookie McKnight at this stage is a huge downgrade IMO, and they took lots of risks with guys with talent and with questionable character.

Miami on the other hand picked 8 guys and 7 of them were team captains, which speaks to their leadership, character, and skill.

Buffalo I think remains the doormat until further notice. I just don't see any holes for Spiller to run through, or any QB to keep the D honest.

Coming into the draft I thought that the Patriots needs were TE, OLB, ILB, DE, and WR depth.

Granted, they didn't do much of anything about right DE. The plan seems to be to replace Jarvis Green, who was himself a poor replacement for Seymour, with newly signed free agents Gerard Warren and Damione Lewis and/or Mike Wright. Not great, but hopefully servicable.

As to the Jets, I hope that their clubhouse implodes. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington to LT and rookie McKnight at this stage is a huge downgrade IMO, and they took lots of risks with guys with talent and with questionable character.

Miami on the other hand picked 8 guys and 7 of them were team captains, which speaks to their leadership, character, and skill.

Buffalo I think remains the doormat until further notice. I just don't see any holes for Spiller to run through, or any QB to keep the D honest.
    Did you forget about Shonn Green? Thats their starting running back. I think Thomas Jones was good but that line was better. You put LT back there and he can do what Jones did, IMO.

With a healthy Kris Jenkins I say that they are the team to beat in the AFC East. You can't run on them and you can't throw on them. That to me is a deadly combination.

Anytime you look for a DT from the Raiders to fill a void then I think your screwed. Lewis maybe able to fill some of the void but I still think the Pats get run on a lot this year.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-26-2010 at 04:35 PM.

I didn't forget Shonn Green. I mentioned the players that were replacing other departed players. He is what he is, and the Jets are still the Jets, and an implosion would not be a surprise, with them not finishing atop the division standings (for the 13th year in a row, since 1998, when Belichick was an assistant coach for Parcells there).

I love the super high expectations for the Jets. Multiple teams had to lay down for them to make the playoffs as the last wild card. People will be more ready for their style of play this year, IMO.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

People will be more ready for their style of play this year, IMO.
    When people start tooting the Jets horn I remind them that Miami was ready for the Jets style of play last year. Twice.

I didn't forget Shonn Green. I mentioned the players that were replacing other departed players. He is what he is, and the Jets are still the Jets, and an implosion would not be a surprise, with them not finishing atop the division standings (for the 13th year in a row, since 1998, when Belichick was an assistant coach for Parcells there).

I love the super high expectations for the Jets. Multiple teams had to lay down for them to make the playoffs as the last wild card. People will be more ready for their style of play this year, IMO.
    Signing 2 guys doesn't make a locker room implode and losing one team leader doesn't mean disaster is on its way. As a Patriot fan I think you can appreciate that signing a couple of guys with a sketchy past doesn't mean that the whole locker room is going to implode. This isn't the Bengals we are talking about.

IF you look at how the team is built even if you are not a fan you can appreciate that the Jets have a ton of solid pieces both defensively and offensively. I also wouldn't be so quick to discount making the playoffs with a rookie qb. Just ask Peyton Manning.

Mood

I really liked the LB Pick up of Angerer. He seemed to have very good football instincts even though he was not freakishly athletic. I have seen him described as a smart player several times so hopefully he will fit in with the colts.