Pat Angerer

Position: ILB
    Class: 5Sr
    School: Iowa

Conference: Big Ten
    HT: 6-0.5
    WT: 235
    40 Time: 4.77

Biography: Two-year starter awarded All-Conference honors since his junior season as well as being named to several All-American teams last year. Senior totals included career numbers all 145/5/1 after 107/6.5/1 as a junior when he also intercepted five passes.

Positives: Fierce, run-defending linebacker who's been a very productive the past two seasons. Displays terrific instincts and wherewithal on the field, remains disciplined with assignments and gives effort until the whistle blows. Fires up the field in run defense, displays better than average speed to the flanks and a stout run defender. Fills the correct holes in run defense, works hard to get off blocks and consistently around the ball-carrier. Fights with his hands to get off blocks, breaks down well, nicely redirects to the action.

Negatives: Gets caught up in the traffic. Not quick flipping his hips in coverage and does not get depth on drops. Struggles making plays with his back to the ball.

Analysis: Angerer has been incredibly productive at Iowa and is a terrific run-defending linebacker who also displayed coverage skills during the combine. Lacks the great measurables to play in the middle yet could be a solid inside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment.

Default Re: The 2010 NFL Draft Thread

I love his name.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Great name. . . but another backer? I want some big boys.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Loved how my guys turned out. Best may or may not have been there at #34, but I'm glad they didn't take chances.

Just once an NFL team I can be proud of. One of these years it will happen in my lifetime.
    Picking up Burleson was another great decision. Teams were literally triple teaming Calvin Johnson towards the end of last year and leaving their FS to cover their other WR 1 on 1. Burleson isn't a pro-bowler, but he is a huge upgrade as a #2 WR.

I could see the Lions winning 6-7 games this year if they can keep Stafford upright and stop some people on defense. Suh has potential to be the next Albert Haynesworth type of defensive lineman. He already has an NFL sized body and will probably get even stronger.
    Last edited by Moses; 04-23-2010 at 11:29 PM.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...ghter-awesome/

So, Brandon Spikes is dating Celtics coach Doc Rivers’ daughter? Awesome

Callie RiversNew Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes grew up in North Carolina and played in Florida. You probably knew that.

But did you also know that he has some familiar with the Northeast in a rather random way. You’ll like this one…

Spikes is dating Callie Rivers, the daughter of Celtics coach Doc Rivers. That’s not a joke. Awesome and random, right? She plays volleyball for UF.

Doc has laughed about it in the past… like here. And Spikes laughed when asked if he could get Celtics tickets.

“Big guy, big for an inside linebacker,” Belichick said of Spikes. “Very highly respected… and of course, came with a good recommendation from Doc. Of course, I appreciated that. He can keep an eye on him up here, keep his daughter a little closer to home.”

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Colts picked up a guard in the fourth round. That was a position I hoped they'd address.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was hoping for the Colts to pick Brandon Spikes yesterday but it sounds like Angerer might be just as good or better in the long run.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Mood

And now a TE, which I don't think we really need but I didn't think we needed Dallas Clark either.

I'm scratching my head at the TE pick but I'm not running the Colts, Polian is.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Just made $150 off the Colts last pick in the 7th round. Bet a friend they would take Ray Fisher. He would get $40 if I was wrong.

I am 10x the man Mel Kiper is.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    And now a TE, which I don't think we really need but I didn't think we needed Dallas Clark either.
    Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    I'm scratching my head at the TE pick but I'm not running the Colts, Polian is.
    Actually, out of all the picks I am intrigued by Brody Eldridge the most. Mayock said that he was the best blocking TE in the draft, and that he played center and guard at times for the Sooners.

This guy sooner or later will be in on goalline and short yardage packages as a TE/FB.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Ray Fisher.

Excellent use of a 7th round pick.

Good pick in Ray Fisher from IU. Even though he's a CB I'm guessing they also like his kick return ability since they colts were lacking that.
    Give the ball to your best playmakers to win

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I am pretty bummed the Pats snagged Spikes. There is no way I could ever cheer for that POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I am pretty bummed the Pats snagged Spikes. There is no way I could ever cheer for that POS.

I'm sure Spikes isn't the first guy to eye gouge at the bottom of a pile, he just got caught on camera doing it.

Mood

Undrafted players so far...

Tim Hiller, QB Western Michigan
    Blair White, WR Michigan State

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

Natston-

Eldridge is indeed a beast at 'the point of attack.

I'm a HUGE OU football fan and have seen every game in recent
    years. He played some C and G as a fill-in for injured guys last
    year (they went through 4 C's last year), but he's a TE all the
    way.

He does a tremednous job 'setting the edge' in the run game.
    Remember the days of Edge James running the 'stretch' play
    so well with the TE combo of Ken Dilger and Marcus Pollard ?
    I can easily see that again in the future with Eldridge in the
    role of Dilger as the second, in-line, blocking TE (Brody isn't
    a terrible receiving TE, but needless to say, when coupled with
    Gresham as he was the previous couple years, you aren't gonna
    see many, if any balls heading your way).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillman's 'Fro' For This Useful Post:

somebody should have drafted Freddy Barnes. 155 catches and 19 TDs in a college season is unreal. 299 yards in a bowl game.

what do you call a 10-catch game for Freddie? An off day.

UDFA signed by the Bears... ought to make their team, IMO; 6'0" with long arms and great hands, but 4.67 in the forty. Stopwatches only tell you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    Undrafted players so far...

Tim Hiller, QB Western Michigan
    Blair White, WR Michigan State

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

Here's a update. Not a bad group really.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/4/2...ents?ref=yahoo

* Brandon James, KR, Florida
    * Blair White, WR, Michigan State
    * Tim Hiller, QB, WMU
    * Mike Newton, S, UB
    * Jeff Linkenbach, LT, Cincinnati
    * Javarris James, RB, Miami
    * Thad Turner CB, Ohio
    * Brett Swenson, K, Michigan St.
    * David Caldwell, S, William & Mary
    * Brandon King, CB, Purdue (rumored, still verifying)
    * Vuna Tuihalamaka, LB, Arizona

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post

I'm sure Wilfork taught Spikes all the eye poking tricks he could possibly learn

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Here's a update. Not a bad group really.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/4/2...ents?ref=yahoo
    Grabbing Brett Swenson, Michigan State's kicker, was a GREAT signing. I thought the Colts were going to draft him with one of the seventh rounds picks, but they ended up with him anyway. He was the consensus best kicker in the draft and considered by most to be the best kicker in college football last year. He should be a huge upgrade over 37 year old Vinatieri and/or 42 year old Stover.

4th round pick Jacques McClendon seems like a great guy and huge Peyton fan.

"McClendon, who started 26 games at right guard at Tennessee, was an All-Academic Southeastern Conference selection, and grew up in Cleveland, Tenn. As such, he said he grew up a fan of the University of Tennessee – and of their quarterback from 1994-97.

That was quarterback Peyton Manning.

“He comes around the facility all the time,” he said. “I still have the Peyton Manning jersey. I have the autographed helmet in my mother's house. I'm a huge Peyton Manning fan. To be able to go to an organization with a quarterback like that is an unbelievable blessing."

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=ar...3-5a24b1b5978c

All in all this was a very solid draft for adding depth to the team.

- Stud pass-rusher to compliment Freeney/Mathis (Hughes)
    - Gary Brackett's future replacement/compliment/all-around solid LB (Angerer)
    - Solid cover corner to add depth behind Hayden/Powers/Lacey (Thomas)
    - A RG that fits the Colts mold (McClendon)
    - A blocking TE that can move inside the line if necessary (Elridge)
    - 7th round picks that add depth at LB and DT (Conner and Matthews)
    - Two big special teams additions, Fisher at kick returner and Swenson at kicker.
    - Finally, a WR who many called the best undrafted WR, Blair White. He's a smart player and hard worker, standard Colt acquisition.

I'm very excited to see what this team is going to be able to do next year. Let's not forget that our former defensive player of the year should be returning, if he can manage to stay healthy. I know that's a big if for Bobby, but few can argue that Sanders turns the D up at notch when he's at the top of his game. Hopefully being able to rotate a trio of Sanders, Bethea, and Bullitt at the safety position should help keep them all healthy.

I'm feeling great going into the season. Signing Faneca to a 2-3 year deal would be the icing on the cake. I think the fact that Polian didn't go after an O-lineman in the draft means he feels fairly comfortable with Charlie Johnson playing another year at LT. Putting Faneca next to him at LG would add a lot of security to the o-line charged with the task of protecting the league's best player.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Mood

Faneca to the Colts isn't happening. You only need him if you plan on giving your RB's 500+ carries and I bet the Colts don't even come within 150 of that.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Maybe we don't "need" him, but LG is a weakness on the o-line and we're one of the worst rushing teams in the league. I know part of the reason that's so is because we pass so much, but Addai and Brown's yards per carry numbers could be better. Faneca was upset that the Jets cut him and likely wants to finish his career with a super bowl contender. What better revenge than signing with the team that beat the Jets in the AFC championship? I know it's not likely, especially since the Colts never sign big name free agents, but it makes a bit of sense for both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    I'm sure Spikes isn't the first guy to eye gouge at the bottom of a pile.
    The Georgia player (Ealey) even today laughs off that incident. Ealey in interviews said that Spikes did not try and gouge his eyes. He was wiping Ealey's own spit into his face, even saying "here's your spit back" as he did it. Ealey admits that he had spit on Spikes the play before and Spikes was getting even.

I am not condoning what happened, just filling out the rest of the story.

Brandon Spikes is a high energy instense football player. In that instance he "lost it". I have heard people compare him to Brian Cox, a similarly intense LB from 10 or so years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post

I'm feeling great going into the season. Signing Faneca to a 2-3 year deal would be the icing on the cake. I think the fact that Polian didn't go after an O-lineman in the draft means he feels fairly comfortable with Charlie Johnson playing another year at LT. Putting Faneca next to him at LG would add a lot of security to the o-line charged with the task of protecting the league's best player.
    I agree that Polian must feel comfortable with the OT position considering he had a shot at the USC kid but he did address the guard position with the 4th round pick McClendon (tenn). Dude set the all time bench record at Tenn with 645 lbs.

IMO, Faneca is too costly for the Colts who have always stayed away from expensive FA signings.