Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know mock drafts never nail the Colts' pick, but I think Pouncey from Florida seems likely. He can play OG and Center, so if he pans out he can fill a hole at G the next season or two then take over for Saturday when he retires. That was the plan with Pollack, but it's looking like that's not going to pan out.

I think the Colts' first 4 picks will be 1 to 2 o-linemen, 1 to 2 d-linemen, and maybe a cornerback. That said, Polian tends to draft best player available, so we'll see. I hope we grab a kicker in the 6th round or so. Last year we traded for McAfee to be our punter of the future, which was a great decision. He was excellent all year and great at kick-offs. Picking up a kicker that can consistently hit from beyond 40 would be nice.
    I definately agree that we need to focus on the offensive and defensive line. Every position on that offensive line can be upgraded even center. They just got pushed around way to much and could not open up any holes for JA or Brown to run through. We had this issue two years in a row and it has to end. I am tired of watching our running backs make a move in the backfield just to gain 2-3 yards.

The past couple of years have shown Mathis is a product of Freeney. Without Freeney there Mathis cannot do anything when the opposing team focuses their attention on him. We need to get another DE in there that can get pressure on his own without Freeney being there. When Freeney is out then our pass rush is dead and that gives the QB time to pick apart our defense. That is what happened in the Super Bowl. Freeney gets hurt, they go to a three step drop, and Mathis is no where to be seen.

We need some extra depth at corner and Adam is made of glass now a days and makes way to much money so a kicker in the 6th or 7th round would be fine with me.

You heard it here first.

Jerry Hughes.

ITs finally here.....

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...Wr7saNmjzmw%3D
    The NFL is wading into uncharted waters. Not only has it decided to stretch its seven-round, 255-pick draft process over three days, the first two sessions -- beginning with round 1 tonight -- will for the first time unfold in prime time.

NFL Draft

What: 75th NFL selection meeting, Radio City Music Hall, New York. Seven rounds, 32 teams, 255 total picks (including 32 compensatory picks). Ten minutes allowed for each pick in round 1, seven minutes in rounds 2-3 and five minutes in rounds 4-7.

When: Round 1, 7:30 p.m. today; rounds 2-3, 6 p.m. Friday; rounds 4-7, 10 a.m. Saturday.

TV: NFL Network and ESPN, 7:30 p.m. today. NFL Network, 6 p.m. Friday; ESPN, 6-7 p.m. Friday; ESPN2, 7 p.m. Friday. NFL Network and ESPN, 10 a.m. Saturday.

Colts picks: Eight overall. Round 1, No. 31. Round 2, No. 63. Round 3, No. 94. Round 4, No. 129. Round 5, No. 162. Round 6, No. 200 (traded to Philadelphia in 2009 for P Pat McAfee). Round 7, Nos. 238, 240 and 246 (latter two are compensatory picks for free agent losses Darrell Reid and Hunter Smith).

Draft party: Fans can watch the draft with selected Colts players and cheerleaders at the Blue Crew Sports Grill from 7-11 p.m. today.

The Indianapolis Colts will adapt as necessary, but adhere to what they consider to be a proven blueprint.
    With the 31st overall pick, they'll take the best prospect still on their draft board, regardless of position.
    "You can never have enough good football players and you can never have enough difference-makers,'' team president Bill Polian said Wednesday.
    With their remaining seven selections, the Colts will look to strengthen an already well-stocked roster.
    "It's about the entire process, not just the first round,'' Polian stressed. "Our focus is actually greater on the lower rounds than it is the first.''
    It's anyone's guess whom the Colts might have their eye on at the bottom of the first round. This time of the offseason in the NFL is all about secrecy, and few teams do secrecy better than the Colts.
    Polian never discusses how his draft board is aligned -- it generally contains between 115 and 135 "draftable'' players -- or which prospects he favors. National mock drafts haven't been as reluctant. Among players they have affixed to the Colts at the bottom of round 1 are offensive tackles Rodger Saffold of Indiana and Charles Brown of USC, Florida center Maurkice Pouncey and UCLA defensive tackle Brian Price.
    Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN's longtime draft expert, believes the Colts are in the market, especially early, for an offensive lineman, a pass-rushing defensive end and a cornerback. He also believes Polian will come away with suitable players.
    "What Bill has always done is identify a guy that might have been a second-rounder or a third-rounder (according to other teams) that they had a much higher opinion on,'' Kiper said. "When they've identified that guy, they've taken him and they've hit on that player a lot over the years.''
    The Colts have hit on them early, late, even in the immediate hours after the draft when teams hustle to sign players who weren't chosen.
    Consider the breakdown of the current 63-player roster. It includes 30 of their own draft picks and another 12 players who were signed as undrafted rookies. The draft picks run the gamut: 12 taken in rounds 1-2, 11 selected in rounds 6-7.
    Two nuggets are worth keeping in mind:
    The Colts won't hesitate to trade out of the first round if the situation presents itself. They entered the 2004 draft with the 29th overall pick and traded back twice before selecting Iowa safety Bob Sanders with the 12th pick of round 2.
    "If we get the right price for the pick and we think it's the right thing to do, we'll be happy to do it,'' Polian said. "We've let people behind us know that.''
    If the Colts stay put at No. 31 in the first and second rounds, history says they'll select players who performed on a big stage. Of the 22 first- and second-rounders since Polian's arrival in 1998, 20 played at BCS schools. The only exceptions: Memphis safety Idrees Bashir, a second-round pick in 2001, and BYU linebacker Rob Morris, a first-rounder in 2000.

Well Drew Brees will announce the 32nd pick in the NFL draft tonight

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...erback_49.html

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees will announce Saints' draft pick tonight in New York
    By Mike Triplett, The Times-Picayune
    April 22, 2010, 10:28AM

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees will be on hand in New York City tonight to announce the Saints' first-round draft pick - the first time a player has ever done so.

Brees was invited to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the NFL draft. He was voted by fans as one of the top 75 draft picks of all time (finishing No. 21 in the rankings).

He was a natural selection, considering he's the reigning Super Bowl MVP quarterback. And he was already scheduled to be in New York City to promote being selected for the cover of EA Sports' Madden NFL 11 video game.

Alos, it's especially fitting that Brees will be announcing the No. 32 pick, since he himself was selected No. 32 overall by the San Diego Chargers in the 2001 draft. That year, he was the first pick in the second round.

Mood

I guess Rodger Saffold is a name to watch now...

Nerd.
    Mood

Do they always announce the draftees beforehand like they are playing a game? I think this is ridiculous.

Tim Tebow at #25 before Jimmy Clausen? Really?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Tim Tebow at #25 before Jimmy Clausen? Really?!?!?
    Very crazy I know.

I still think its a OT the Colts take. IU or USC.

Banned

I don't understand what Denver is doing

Mood

I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor Mays here.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman's 'Fro' View Post
    You heard it here first.

Jerry Hughes.
    We have a winner! Good call. That's a heckuva call two whole weeks before the draft.

See post #27 in this thread from '2 wks ago'. I rest my case !

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hillman's 'Fro' For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman's 'Fro' View Post
    See post #27 in this thread from '2 wks ago'. I rest my case !
    You are amazing........
    I am cool with it. We always need good DE's...

Banned

Mood

Can't wait to see that guy on turf if he's that freakin fast on grass.

Did TCU play a 3-4 defense?

ESPN's board had him listed as an OLB, but looks to be a DE. Regardless, I trust Bill Polian

I wonder if the Rams still would taken Bradford, knowing they could get Clausen in the 2nd round?

Minnesota, Cleveland, Buffalo, Oakland are likely landing spots for Clausen early 2nd round

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

I wonder if the Rams still would taken Bradford, knowing they could get Clausen in the 2nd round?

Minnesota, Cleveland, Buffalo, Oakland are likely landing spots for Clausen early 2nd round
    Good point. Suh and Clausen would be a nice combo to come out of the first two rounds with. That said, they could still get a really nice player with this pick -- Charles Brown and Golden Tate come to mind. But I'd guess they'll end up trading the pick. A lot of teams are going to be going for Clausen at the beginning of the 2nd.

Did TCU play a 3-4 defense?

ESPN's board had him listed as an OLB, but looks to be a DE. Regardless, I trust Bill Polian
    no they played the 4-3. He was a DE for TCU but would be undersized in the NFL, however since the Colts always like undersized quick DEs he fits perfectly. Wouldnt suprise me for them to keep him in his natural position
    JOB is a silly man

Did anyone hear this last night?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...whats-to-come/

"She said no" chant a preview of what's to come
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 23, 2010 10:46 AM ET
    B. Roethlisberger.jpgIt was a moment that won't soon be forgotten by anyone who attended the 2010 NFL Draft.

The incredible acoustics of Radio City Music Hall amplified and made the chant crystal clear as the Steelers were set to make their pick.

"She said no, she said no, she said no," the balconies roared.

In the NFL's infinite wisdom -- absolutely no sarcasm here -- Roger Goodell then took the stage with Zachary from the Make-A-Wish foundation to announce the Steelers pick.

When Zachary hit the stage, the chant stopped cold and the crowd rose. The kid got a standing ovation. The sequence was classic New York.

The moment was saved, but the chant was a sobering reminder of what Ben Roethlisberger and the NFL will face next season. Roethlisberger's story has crossed over to mainstream news channels and angered countless fans. He's a target.

Michael Vick inspired even greater vitriol, but he stayed away from the NFL for two years. And he's not a starting quarterback anymore.

Roethlisberger will be on the field, with the ball in his hands, for five national television appearances this season.

Expect to hear a lot more chants like the one we heard Thursday night.

Can't believe the Broncos traded their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick just to get Tebow. There is a very good chance he would have fallen til the middle of the 2nd round anyways. I wont deny he is a good guy and has a great work ethic, but he doesn't have an NFL arm(Lacks intermediate/deep accuracy and velocity). I didn't really like the Rams draft either. It is obvious Bradford is going to hold out for a ton of money. If they had selected Suh or McCoy, they would have filled a need, paid less money, and probably gotten Clausen in round 2.

I thought the Lions had a good draft. Jahvid Best would have been a top 15 pick if he hadn't gotten injured. I think he is better than CJ Spiller.
    Last edited by Moses; 04-23-2010 at 11:38 AM.

What was Buffalo thinking? I really like CJ, but when you all ready have Lynch and Jackson on your roster where will CJ fit in? Jackson has proven to be a good runner and Lynch when his head is on right he had preformed as well. The Bills have one of the most horrendous offensive lines, but yet they just ignored it. CJ's speed and agility will be nullified when he is getting hit behind the line.

The Jags really reached for Alualu, but I can understand the pick. It seems nobody was willing to trade with them or give them fair value so they just stood still and took the guy they liked. I still think it is a major reach.

What the hell were the Broncos doing? You give up all of those picks to get Tim when we all know he is falling to the second round. I know McDaniels has done well with QBs, but can he really work his magic with Teabow. Teabow and McDaniels are now tied together. If Teabow fails then McDaniels is done.

Also, you get all those picks for Cutler and Marshall, but what do they really have to show for it?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but if you are the Rams would you rather have drafted Suh and taken Clausen in the second or kept Bradford and taken anybody else that is left?

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    What was Buffalo thinking? I really like CJ, but when you all ready have Lynch and Jackson on your roster where will CJ fit in? Jackson has proven to be a good runner and Lynch when his head is on right he had preformed as well. The Bills have one of the most horrendous offensive lines, but yet they just ignored it. CJ's speed and agility will be nullified when he is getting hit behind the line.

The Jags really reached for Alualu, but I can understand the pick. It seems nobody was willing to trade with them or give them fair value so they just stood still and took the guy they liked. I still think it is a major reach.

What the hell were the Broncos doing? You give up all of those picks to get Tim when we all know he is falling to the second round. I know McDaniels has done well with QBs, but can he really work his magic with Teabow. Teabow and McDaniels are now tied together. If Teabow fails then McDaniels is done.

Also, you get all those picks for Cutler and Marshall, but what do they really have to show for it?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but if you are the Rams would you rather have drafted Suh and taken Clausen in the second or kept Bradford and taken anybody else that is left?
    Lynch is on his way out of Buffalo. He will probably end up in Seattle.

It is easy to knock the Jags for reaching on Alualu, but they reached on a few guys last year and ended up with one of the better drafts of 2009.

I liked the Colts pick of Hughes. He was the best defensive player available and should provide some depth behind Freeney and Mathis. He was one of the key cogs in TCU's highly regarded defense last year.

Loved how my guys turned out. Best may or may not have been there at #34, but I'm glad they didn't take chances.

Just once an NFL team I can be proud of. One of these years it will happen in my lifetime.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I liked the Colts pick of Hughes. He was the best defensive player available and should provide some depth behind Freeney and Mathis. He was one of the key cogs in TCU's highly regarded defense last year.
    To me its not a bad pick but he is not someone I am going to get too excited about. I would have rather traded down in the second round and picked up the next best OT. OF course if Freeney or Mathis get hurt and this kid can produce I will be for joy.

Who knows...