Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A reading on Brandon Rush (John Hollinger)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default A reading on Brandon Rush (John Hollinger)

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...tle-production

Brandon Rush has had a forgettable career thus far, but as we head into the home stretch he may be on his way to a milestone of sorts. Rush has a PER of just 9.96 in his second pro season, but somehow leads the Pacers in minutes played with 2,159 --157 more than the next closest player, Troy Murphy.

If he manages to maintain his lead, he’ll claim the dubious distinction of being the worst player ever to lead his team in minutes. My search through the record books unearthed only two other players in the post-merger era to lead their team in minutes with a single-digit PER: Bruce Bowen with San Antonio in 2003-04, and Jason Collins with the Nets a season later.

But those were two of the best defensive players of the decade (if not ever, in Bowen’s case), so it’s obvious why they played so much. Rush is just an average defender, making his usage more perplexing.

Sure, Indiana is a bad team, but even on bad teams, the leader in minutes is usually a player of some accomplishment. The leaders on New Jersey (Brook Lopez) and Minnesota (Al Jefferson), for instance, have stellar PERs despite the woeful state of their teams.

In Rush’s case, injuries to Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy, the frequent use of smaller lineups and the team’s general dissatisfaction with free-agent bust Dahntay Jones have conspired to keep him on the floor for 30 minutes per game in spite of his own mediocrity. He just needs to keep up that pace for a dozen more games to claim this “record.”
    He needs to start watching Brandon's recent play before he goes and talks nonsense. Brandon's definitly taking adavantage of his time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: A reading on Brandon Rush (John Hollinger)

and brandon's not just an "average defender."

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

If he manages to maintain his lead, he’ll claim the dubious distinction of being the worst player ever to lead his team in minutes.

Rush is just an average defender, making his usage more perplexing.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe we need to worry more about the PF position:

http://www.82games.com/0910/09IND6.HTM#bypos

He's played the most minutes because he's the only player who's appeared in all 72 games this year. And Jason Collins was so, so much worse.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Brandon is absolutely an above average defender.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by John Hollinger

Rush is just an average defender, making his usage more perplexing.
    Can we say...credibility killer?

I mean, I could accept that Pacers fans overvalue his defense. I could accept saying that he's "just an above average defender." I think I would disagree with that ultimately, because Rush has enough elite level performances to place him somewhere in a range between above average and elite and he clearly has the physical tools and desire to make a living on the defensive end. But at least it would be a reasonable disagreement.
    Last edited by gummy; 03-26-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Hollinger loves to say D Jones is a bust. I agree I think BRUsh will be seen as a very very good defender before it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Hollinger loves to say D Jones is a bust. I agree I think BRUsh will be seen as a very very good defender before it's all said and done.
    Between the 2, I'd say Brandon is definitly the better SG hands down.

Both play similar defense, but Brandon's shooting is far better and his scoring is consistent.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    He's played the most minutes because he's the only player who's appeared in all 72 games this year.
    Yes, this. The kid is durable. Which is a miracle of near epic proportions on a Pacers team.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

It would be absolutely outragous to trade him.

I was relieved the Bobcats trade didn't go through.

I'm also pretty convinced he won't be moved based on the amount of minutes he's getting and he's playing better now at this time than he did last season.

He's been much more consistent this season.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

So many odd things in this article.

First, all this really does is show how injured our shooting guard spot has been this year. I love how he mentions that stars on other teams lead their teams in minutes, and then goes on to say our main guys have been hurt. How can a top player lead his team in minutes when they are not on the floor? Absurd.

Second, does John even know who Brandon Rush is? He basically pimped out Jason Collins over him, on the topic of defense, nonetheless. Unreal. I’m not the biggest Rush fan in the world, but even I know that’s Brandon’s calling card.

Third, this guys hates Dahntay Jones. I know it was just a little blurb, but was mentioning him even necessary? I remember him ripping on the four year deal what we signed him. You would have thought we offered a D-Leaguer a max deal or something.

This article was irrelevant.

(sorry, I had to)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitman02 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Defense isn't something that you can verify with stats, this is why Hollinger's PER doesn't do Rush any justice. Defense is more than blocked shots and steals. You don't get a stat for contesting a shot. You don't get a stat for denying your man the lane and forcing him to pass. There's just no stat for some things Rush brings to the table.

Look at Shane Battier for example. If you looked at his stats you would think he's only an "average" player too. Last year his PER was 10.68. This year it's 11.24.

So when you look at Rush's 9.96, is it really that absurd? Worst player ever to lead his team in minutes? False. Maybe "worst player ever based on my statistical rating that places very little to no emphasis on defense... to lead his team in minutes." I think that's more accurate.

Calling Rush average on defense is simply laughable. I agree with gummy 100%... credibility killer. Now every time I see John Hollinger, I'll think, "Oh, that's the guy who said Rush was an average defender and the worst player ever to lead his team in minutes. Take his opinion with a grain of salt."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

I will say I didn't have the foggiest notion Rush was leading the team in minutes played, that's interesting, but then fans haven't been complaining about his lack of PT this season either.

I'll be interested in reading Seth's rebuttal on Hollinger's article.

I agree with those saying Brandon is at least ABOVE average on D.

I was saying on twitter to chad ford (I think?) that B. Rush has been very good on D all year.

I think it was count55 who disagreed with me and said he was only solid (which I consider to mean above average).

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    This cat (Hollinger) is probably the most irrelevant "journalist" in the entire sports area. He has always been a prick with a hard on for trashing the Pacers.

He lives to prove that his magical "formula" is legit, when it is completely biased and irrelevant as he is.

plain and simple he is a tool, who because he is employed, is costing a real sports journalist, whom is out of work, a job.
    Sittin on top of the world!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

I know Rip Hamilton isn't what he used to be, but wow, if we have Rush guarding Rip in 2004, we just might have beaten the Pistons. He does a great job defending Rip.

Brandon's team defense is getting better, but still behind his 1 on 1 defense

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stat guys.... "lol".
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

WOW this guy really has no idea about ANYTHING does he?? I guess he's just bored in his office and had nothing else to do but write pure crap? lol. Plus he mentions Jason Collins...that dude plus his twin brother battle for the "Worst Player in the Entire NBA Award" each and every year lol. There's so many things that are stupidly wrong with this guy's "article" that it makes me want to punch a hole through his head lol! Anybody else with me??

P.S. I won't even get into his comment about Rush being an average defender...yet again, so many things are wrong with this article. It makes me wonder if he's just making up the fact that Rush leads the team in minutes played.

Edit: Also, he doesn't seem to know much about what all Dahntay has done for us and will keep on doing for us. Me = Dahntay fan btw.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

JOB is the bust, not DJones.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trollinger is a world-class hack who probably doesn't even watch the games. The fact that he has to go out of his ways to defend his ridiculously flawed formula just proves how bad it is. I don't trust any aspect of his fuzzy math.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

He's full of
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

I still think Rush is a better man-to-man defender than Artest was. Granted, Artest was a genius at getting into the opponents heads and was a much better team defender(can't say much about Rush's team defense as our team doesn't play any), but in terms of man-to-man coverage, Rush very rarely makes a mistake or gets lost.

Ron was a much better team defender? All I remember is him being glued to his man and being a fabulous on-ball defender, sometimes to the detriment of the team's D.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    He's full of
    how does some one end up with bull poop inside them?