Thread: Jay Williams

Default Jay Williams

Has anyone heard about his rehab from his motorcycle accident? I may be wrong but didn't the Bulls buy out the his contract? If by some chance he were to be healthy and able to play basketball again would you take a look at him in the off season?

Default Re: Jay Williams

Quote Originally Posted by wickedstick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone heard about his rehab from his motorcycle accident? I may be wrong but didn't the Bulls buy out the his contract? If by some chance he were to be healthy and able to play basketball again would you take a look at him in the off season?
    Last summer prior to his motorcycle accident I wanted the Pacers to trade for Williams. In fact I think there was a Sun Times or Tribune article about "discussion between Pacers and Bulls involving Al for Williams, but then he was in that horrible accident.

I read an article maybe 6 - 8 weeks ago that indicated that he was making remarkable progress, but the sense I got is he is still a long way from playing NBA basketball at all

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No chance at all. I didnt like him in college and i dont think he ever wouldve made a good pro.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Ready your own words carefully: "didn't the BULLS buy out the his contract"

Nuff said?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sadly I think Williams career is over.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

He has a LONG way to go.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5270895/

Jay Williams still hopes to return to NBA
    A year after motorcycle accident, former Bulls
    point guard undergoing intensive rehabilitation

The Associated Press

Updated: 5:18 p.m. ET June 22, 2004

A year after a motorcycle crash left Jay Williams fearful he would never walk again, the former Chicago Bulls guard is holding out hope that he’ll return to the NBA.
    advertisement
    “I’m not running and dunking on people yet,” Williams said by phone Tuesday from Durham, N.C., where he has been undergoing intensive rehabilitation since last summer. “I wish I could. But I’m definitely making huge steps compared to where I was last year.”

The former No. 2 draft pick out of Duke said he started doing some shooting and light jogging about four months ago, and recently jumped off his injured left leg for the first time. His next goal is to work his way up to sprinting and cutting.

“The big thing is trusting in the leg again,” he said. “I’m finally starting to believe in it again.”
    On June 19, 2003, Williams crashed his recently bought motorcycle into a light pole in Chicago, fracturing his pelvis, tearing knee ligaments and damaging nerves in his left leg. He was still on crutches when training camp rolled around in the fall, and he wound up missing the entire season.

The Bulls honored the Plainfield, N.J., native’s contract last season — despite the fact that he violated a standard contract clause that prohibits players from engaging in dangerous activities like riding motorcycles — but waived him in February after reaching a settlement on the remaining two years.

The buyout was reportedly worth about $3 million.
    Williams said he has not had contact with the Bulls in recent months, but would like to play for them again.

“My door is still open with Chicago,” Williams said. “When my time comes to come back, I will definitely give them the right of first refusal. I’d definitely play for them as long as I can, but if it doesn’t work out, I just want to play somewhere.”
    Whether Williams, 22, can return at all is in question. The nerve damage left part of his left leg without feeling, though he said most of that has been restored. Williams has taken inspiration from Duke assistant coach Johnny Dawkins, who was hampered by injuries early in his pro career and recovered to play several more seasons.

Nevertheless, Williams has prepared himself for a future that does not include pro basketball. He said he plans eventually to go back to school and get an MBA — he graduated from Duke in three years with a degree in sociology in 2002 — and would like to work in a sports-related enterprise.

Whatever he ends up doing, it is doubtful he will be tested more — both physically and mentally — than he has in the last year.

“Playing basketball, you think you’ve been challenged, by different coaches, different players, different situations,” Williams said. “But for me, this is the most challenging thing I’ve ever had to go through.”

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Bulls bought out his contract AFTER his accident. He has also stated that if he was gonna be able to play NBA ball again he would go back to the Bulls.
    [edit=325=1090607772][/edit]

Hip-Hop ,Guitar & Martial ArtsEnthusiast
    Tony Jaa could beat you up with his pinky.