Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: GOOO DAWGS!!

Quote Originally Posted by USF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I graduated Franklin Community in 2001.
    Mmmm I think Mrs Geezer was teaching there then. Wait...Franklin COmmunity HS or Franklin Central??
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Mmmm I think Mrs Geezer was teaching there then. Wait...Franklin COmmunity HS or Franklin Central??
    Franklin Community, home of the "Wonder Five."

Usually, when I tell people I went to Franklin they assume I mean Franklin Central which is understandable.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Coming home, Baby.

Tough

As

Nails.

AWESOME WIN!!!!

I begin to wonder if they'd win it the way Howard was missing FT's.

I'd love to see a Butler vs Kentucky finals. I love blue n white!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Butler is the best basketball team in Indianapolis
    Give the ball to your best playmakers to win

To answer the other guy who wondered the last time a team was in the Final Four in the hometown it was UCLA when Los Angeles hosted the Final Four in 1972 they won the title that year.

Kentucky toast. Butler could very easily win it all. My wife, a Butler grad, is happy.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

This is real life Hoosiers.

YEAAAA...Gordon Hayward graduated from my high school a year after I did in 07, from Brownsburg.

I remember going to the open gyms and he hit a growth spurt in the summer when he grew about 9 inches. Crazy!
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This is real life Hoosiers.

I'm trying to think who I'd want to play Brad Stevens in the movie.

Although the local dentist back home was in "Hoosiers"

I missed the games b/c I had to work, but awesome Butler!! Congrats on the Final Four.

Most of me is happy UK lost, the part that isn't, wanted to scout Wall, Cousins, Patterson and Bledsoe more!

Banned
    Mood

With the way they've been playing (24-game win streak) and with having home court advantage, I expect Butler to beat either Michigan State or Tennessee and be in the championship game a week from tomorrow. West Virginia, Baylor, or Duke -- Butler can beat any of them.

Forget just being happy to be there, Butler has a very legitimate shot at a national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Most of me is happy UK lost, the part that isn't, wanted to scout Wall, Cousins, Patterson and Bledsoe more!
    They all seemed to get really frustrated and forego the team concept pretty early in the game. Eh, this can be talked about in another thread if we want to ........ let's not take away from the 'Dogs.

True joy from everyone on the team. Stevens was leading the team thru the Butler fight song on the court after the game. Somehow, I don't see Calipari, Coach K or pretty much any other D-1 coach doing the same. This team is really special. Just imagine if they ............. wow.

BTW - I wish the announcers would get their names right. It's SHELVIN Mack, not Sheldon. And it's Willie VEASLEY, not Beasley.
    Last edited by PacerDude; 03-28-2010 at 06:06 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I'm trying to think who I'd want to play Brad Stevens in the movie.
    Chris Pine.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Did any meet the team last night when they arrived home? I heard it was a pretty big crowd waiting for them?

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31
    Did any meet the team last night when they arrived home? I heard it was a pretty big crowd waiting for them?
    Yep. It was a pretty nice turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Chris Pine.
    Interesting choice

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My days of getting a good seat for $10 ended a couple of years ago. I hate to see what ticket prices will be like now.

If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

~ Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here.~

~ And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen.~

http://www.cnbc.com/id/36083365

How Much Will Indianapolis Lose From Butler?
    Published: Monday, 29 Mar 2010 | 11:58 AM ET
    Text Size
    By: Darren Rovell
    CNBC Sports Business Reporter

It’s the feel good story of the tournament: The little guys from Butler playing in their hometown of Indianapolis in the Final Four.

Butler Bulldogs
    Getty Images
    Gordon Hayward #20 of the Butler Bulldogs puts up a shot over Luis Colon #15 of the Kansas State Wildcats during the west regional final of the 2010 NCAA men's basketball tournament.
    But Butler being in the tournament means it takes a spot from another team that could travel from farther away, fly in, stay in more hotel rooms and spend more at restaurants.

Let’s start with the original estimate by city officials: $50 million. That’s how much they claim will come in visitor’s spending from the Final Four.

That number is always suspect because officials in their estimates usually don’t displace how much revenue is made during those days during normal times. The number $50 million might be accurate, but it’s only valuable when put into context of how much Indianapolis pulls in over a similar period of time.

Assuming the $50 million number is a gross and not net number, sports economist Brad Humphreys thinks that nearby Butler’s inclusion in the Final Four means a 25 percent dip -– or a $12.5 million gross impact.

“Any net economic impact from the Final Four comes from export tourism,” said Brad Humphreys, who teaches at the University of Alberta. “That’s the money spent from visitors on outside Indianapolis, who would not have otherwise visited the city.”

Victor Matheson, professor of economics at the College of the Holy Cross, who has studied sports business extensively, agrees with Humphreys’ assessment.

“Some will say that Indianapolis residents will come into town more and spend money at bars and restaurants during the game and they wouldn’t have necessarily done that if Butler weren’t in it,” Matheson said.

But Matheson, who suspects the net economic impact to Indianapolis is at most $30 million, says that anyone who takes these numbers seriously always subtract what locals spend in their home towns during special events like the Final Four, reasoning that the $50 or so they spend in a particular bar, they won’t spend at another time. So it all balances out.

The Kansas State fan who would have come into town if Butler hadn’t defeated them, would have spent money at a bar and restaurant that he or she would have never gone to before had the fan not been in town, Matheson says.

Coming into town to see the game won’t have the same appeal that it did a year ago when Michigan State played in the Final Four in Detroit.

“The Butler campus is literally seven miles away from the city,” said Mark Rosentraub, a professor of sport management at the University of Michigan. “East Lansing wasn’t Detroit, so it was a road trip for many of them."

Rosentraub says Butler’s appearance might help boost Indianapolis in other ways. “It could increase applications, which could lead to a better quality of student and, in the long run, that helps out Indianapolis,” he said.

There are some economists who play down Butler’s hometown discount. Sports economist Andrew Zimbalist said Butler’s inclusion won’t have an “appreciable impact.”

Larry DeGaris, an associate professor of marketing at the University of Indianapolis, doesn’t buy that there can be that much of a loss because the Final Four is so corporate.

“Sure there are fans that come here, but this is for corporate America,” DeGaris said. “And whether Butler is playing or not, they’re here. I guarantee you, you can’t find a bag of cocktail shrimp in town.”

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    It always just comes down to money for some people, doesn't it?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Bulldogs playin' Monday.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a coach do a better job than Stevens.

I'm in the spirit of the moment. Temporary logo change for PD!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Butler in the title game blows my mind. Stevens is just an excellent, excellent coach.

I like Butler matching up against Duke, that would just be a great, old-school sort of National Championship game. Two teams playing the right way (with the exception of Duke's flopping). Against West Virginia I'm less sure. They're way more athletic and I feel they could either blow Butler out, or just completely collapse and flop leading to a relatively easy Butler win.

I'm admittedly, a huge Butler bandwagon fan right now, but I know I haven't been this excited about a basketball game since the last time the Pacers were in a Game 7.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post: