Thread: IND/NO

Default IND/NO

I've seen a few Collison rumors out there, but I think the only way Collison is traded is if the Hornets are able to rid themselves of a contract. Either Okafor, or most likely Peja. Okafor still has 4 years left on his deal, while Peja only has one after this year at 13 mil

I think if we end up in the 6-9 range of the lottery, that we should talk to the Hornets. We could offer an expiring contract, as well as offer to trade picks in return you receive Collison, a later lottery pick and either Okafor or Peja.

As of now we are at pick #7 and the Hornets are at #12. So let's say the first trade is for Okafor and Collison plus picks swap.

Pacers trade: #7 pick, Troy Murphy
    Pacers receive: #12 pick, Darren Collison and Emeka Okafor

Pacers get a PG for the future, as well a player that can play PF, but has a hefty contract. They still get a lottery pick later in the draft where they can take the best player available. The Pacers also still have expirings of Ford, Dunleavy, Solo and Foster they can work with.

PG: Collison, Ford, Price
    SG: Rush, Dahntay, #12
    SF: Granger, Dunleavy, #12
    PF: Okafor, Hansbrough, McRoberts
    C: Hibbert, Foster, Solo

Hornets get out from a big contract in Okafor, while also getting a solid replacement for the year in Murphy who expires while also moving up in the draft where they could draft a replacement center in Aldrich or add another wing like Wes Johnson, Henry's, or Wake Forest's Aminu, whom Paul would probably enjoy. They could also use their 2nd round pick to get another backup PG like Sherron Colllins, or Vasquez.

2nd scenario
    Pacers trade: #7, Mike Dunleavy, Jeff Foster
    Pacers receive: #12, Darren Collison, Peja Stojakovic

In a more uglier scenario the Pacers take on Peja's extra year to get Collison while also trading down a few draft picks. They lose 2 expiring contracts for 2011 and pick up one that expires in 2012. You still get your PG of the future, and you get an expensive wing who can stretch the floor when healthy and play well for the Pacers when healthy during his short time here. Pacers could perhaps get a center in Aldrich or Whiteside to backup Hibbert, or draft a wing to add depth. Could still go PF as well perhaps? Pacers still have expiring of Ford, Murphy and Solo they can work with.

PG: Collison, Ford, Price
    SG: Rush, Dahntay
    SF: Granger, Peja, #12
    PF: Murphy, Hansbrough, McRoberts
    C: Hibbert, Solo, #12

Hornets get out from under Peja's contract finally, while getting 2 expiring contracts, one in a nice vet backup center coming off a successful back surgery who can come off the bench and do dirty. You also get another wing to replace Peja that may have a bounce back year after a year back from a knee surgery. If not they're both expiring at the deadline and they can also draft a wing or backup PF at #7

Default Re: IND/NO

With Granger, Rush, Murphy and Peja, all we're going to be doing is shootings 3s
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

I like either scenario myself.

the difference between the 7th/8th pick and the 12th pick is not enough to entice NO to give up Collison. They WILL have better offers than that. IF you want this to work you have to forget about the 12th pick and take Collison plus Peja for the 8th and whatever 2011 expiring they want. I don't belive you can get Okafor either. He is still a young starter in this league and even with his contract NO would rather have him than give him up for an expiring.

Anyway, I would still do a:

Collison, Peja for
    8th pick and Murphy

I think taking on a hefty contract is enough personally when you add the exchange of draft picks.

I like Collison, but I'm not ready to eat a big contract AND give up a lottery pick for him

According to hoopshype Peja only has one year left on his contract tand will be a free agent in 2011. The only big contracts they have after 2011 are CP3 and Okafor. Maybe the would be willing to just trade the 8th pick for Collison. That would depend on who is available at that spot. This could end up like 2008 with a lot happening on draft night. It could be exciting.

I don't see the Hornets trading Collison this year, he's CHEAP insurance at one of the 2 most important positions.