Thread: Speculation - Chris Cohan possibly selling the Warriors

Sports Logo

Default Speculation - Chris Cohan possibly selling the Warriors

It looks like Warrior Fans may finally be getting what they want:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/warrior...he-ink-is-dry/

Excerpt from Blog:
    Posted by Adam Lauridson on http://blogs.mercurynews.com

The Warriors finally confirmed what has been an open secret for nearly the past year: Chris Cohan is looking to sell the franchise. That’s been painfully clear from the way he’s managed the team’s payroll this last season, but now at least Warriors fans can find a potential silver lining in all that salary dumping. But despite the best reason for Warriors’ optimism we’ve seen in ages, we still have a long way to go before we get to enjoy a post-Cohan glasnos.
    Despite many rumors of this happening......there is growing speculation from many Bloggers indicating it looks like Cohan is finally getting to the point where he will sell the Team. As to who? Guess it maybe Larry Ellison ( the suitor-du-jour ).

The obvious question is whether the Team ( if this what is expected ) would try to have a firesale to clear as many Long-Term contracts owed to Players as possible and what you'd be willing to part with to get anybody worthwhile.

Hypothetically speaking ( yes, insert "The Princess Bride" job here ), the only players that I'd consider would be Turiaf, Monta and Biedrins. I don't know if it could be done or if it's a go enough offer....but I'd consider sending Foster to the Warriors for Turiaf. For Monta? I'd consider sending Murphy's Expiring Contract + 2010 1st round pick ( assuming that it's not a top 5 ). I'd love to have Biedrins....but we already have Hibbert.

Before anyone says the obligatory "See, it was a good idea to save Murphy's huge Expiring Contract while having these huge Expiring Contracts", I'd assume that with many Teams that have copious amounts of Capspace to absorb any contract while not sending back any contract along with a Draft Pick.....any of those Teams would be able to make a better offer than what we could send.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-22-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Default Re: Speculation - Chris Cohan possibly selling the Warriors

You can erase the word speculation from the title of the thread. It's no longer speculation. Cohan has hired a firm to manage the sale of the team. In fact, it's an official announcement from the team that they are doing that. Before today, Cohan at every turn has denied that the team is for sale. Today is an absolutely huge step.

It's long overdue. And if it indeed is Larry Ellison who is doing the buying, he gives the franchise instant credibility and I doubt he the type of guy who needs a fire sale to save cash after just buying.

Great quote from a Cnet article on Warriors fans, BTW
    What the winning bidder would be buying is fan loyalty that goes beyond reason, beyond insanity, and resides somewhere to the west of even the most helpful psychotropic drugs
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10470034-71.html
    Last edited by d_c; 03-22-2010 at 06:28 PM.

You have to be really excited, d_c.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You have to be really excited, d_c.
    I'll be totally excited when it actually happens and the ink actually dries, but today is absolutely huge. Before today, all this hopeful speculation of new ownership taking over for an incompetent Cohan was just that: speculation.

Now it's gone from speculative hope to a realistic scenario. It's the first real sign that there will be a change where the franchise needs it the most: at the ownership level.

Sports Logo

Good for the Warriors. Their fans deserve it and I absolutely loved seeing Oracle hyped during that playoff run. I'd love to see them back in the playoffs, relevant, and exciting again. Fan bases like that are just great for the NBA.

Man this must be a complete blessing for GSW fans. As much as they hated Dun take that hate and multiply it by 3 and thats what they had for Cohan
    JOB is a silly man

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What a great thing to have a buyer who will keep the team where it is.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh