Thread: Is Cousins Maturing? Very Good Read on Cousins

Default Is Cousins Maturing? Very Good Read on Cousins

NEW ORLEANS — Before Kentucky's DeMarcus Cousins even stepped on the court on Saturday night, the combustible big man knew exactly what to expect from Wake Forest big man Chas McFarland.

"He was coming out in articles saying how he was going to try to get in my head," Cousins said. "I was reading it and I was just trying to prepare myself for a battle today because I knew what his intentions were coming into the game."

McFarland played the role of instigator the whole night, catching Cousins with a couple elbows to the neck and chest and even declining to shake the Kentucky freshman's hand before tip-off.

The big blow, of course, came with the game well out of hand in the second half when McFarland clubbed Cousins across the face when he went up for a shot in the paint, drawing an intentional foul from the officials. Cousins showed his maturity by resisting the temptation to retaliate, picking himself off the ground, jogging away clapping his hands and motioning for the crowd to get on its feet and cheer.

"That was a middle-school move," Cousins said later. "He was doing a lot of cheating. I caught an elbow to the jaw early in the game. He's a dirty player and the whole world knows it, especially after tonight."

If Cousins can keep his cool against a guy known as the ACC's most physical, chippy big man, that bodes very well for Kentucky's national title hopes. After all, three opposing players have gotten ejected as a result of incidents involving McFarland, a list that includes Gonzaga's Elias Harris, whose forearm to the neck of the Wake Forest big man earlier this season landed him an early exit.

"The thing that makes that kid a good player is, he plays with a lot of passion," Wake Forest coach Dino Gaudio said of McFarland earlier this week. "At times, it's bad for him because he plays with too much emotion. I tell him, at times he's, like, emotionally intoxicated. Really. It gets the better of him."

Opponents have tried to bait Cousins all season because getting him out of a game by provoking his temper often seems easier than holding him in check while he's on the court.

Trouble is it's happened so much Cousins knows it's coming. He knows what's at stake the next two weeks and he'll continue to avoid incident.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab,229198
    By Jeff Eisenberg
    Rivals.com
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is Cousins Maturing? Very Good Read on Cousins

Intriguing article. If he is successful at resisting the temptation to react as opponents continue to intensify this effort to physically "get in his head" it bodes well for him at the NBA level. Thanks for posting this article!

Banned

Cousins would be long gone by the time the pacers are picking, we need to start to talk about Aminu,Aldrich and Patterson, the dream we had two weeks ago when we started talking about the top five picks is over.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Cousins would be long gone by the time the pacers are picking, we need to start to talk about Aminu,Aldrich and Patterson, the dream we had two weeks ago when we started talking about the top five picks is over.

You are right, but you might want to lower your sights even moreso than those 3 players you mentioned. I can see those players having already been drafted by the time the Pacers get to pick. I sure hope Aldrich has been!

There's yet another further-down possibility, JT: we trade down another few spots (a la Bayless/Rush) to acquire another asset. Several teams have multiple picks. Or ... could Felton be part of this plan??

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I mean we are looking at 8-10 as it stands today. Would the Heat send their two firsts at roughly 15 and 16 for 10? What about the Grizzlies at 13 and 26? Ekpe Udoh, Gani Lawal, Xavier Henry, Stanley Robinson, Sherron Collins, Solomon Alabi, Quincy Pondexter. That is a list of players who project as mid- to late-first rounders. I don't get overly excited about those players. I really like Udoh and Henry at the next level. The rest of that group are all very good players that I think can be effective players at the next level, they just have some degree of a question mark surrounding them that would prevent them from being capable starters IMO. I think Pondexter will be the best of the rest. I love Lawal's game, but I just don't know that he will be effective doing what he does well at the next level. Too much speculation about this sort of hypothetical will keep your head spinning though.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    That's what I'm thinking about now.....whose available between the 8th to 10th spot. Cousins and Favors are only options if we get lucky ( a la whatever Team leap-frogged everyone to get the top spot a season or two ago ). With Monroe likely gone by the 8th spot....and my preference to take an athletic Big Man....I'm leaning towards Patterson as opposed to a tweener athletic SF/PF ( like Aminu ).

The intriguing question is this.......IF ( for unknown some reason ) Cousins' stock drops between now and the draft ( think what happened to Brandon Jennings ) and he's available to be drafted when the Pacers pick....would you draft him or "draft then trade down" ( considering that we would likely be drafting between the 8th to 10th pick )?

IMHO.....I would trade down no matter what...or at the very least look into whether Hibbert and Cousins could co-exist....if not, then see what we could get for either of them in some trade. For the Pacers, because Cousins is more of a Center then not......it's as much of a matter of fit if not for PR reasons.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Keep in mind...just as fast as we moved down the draft, we could easily move up. We all know how consistent the Pacers are, or lack thereof.

Just as bad as we want the Pacers to get the first overall pick, Im sure Bird wants it even more. I wouldnt be surprised if he indirectly hints to JOB that we should be tanking...something like "play the guys that dont get much mins during the regular season"...who knows, its a thought
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Keep in mind...just as fast as we moved down the draft, we could easily move up. We all know how consistent the Pacers are, or lack thereof.

Just as bad as we want the Pacers to get the first overall pick, Im sure Bird wants it even more. I wouldnt be surprised if he indirectly hints to JOB that we should be tanking...something like "play the guys that dont get much mins during the regular season"...who knows, its a thought
    if he has not done that yet I doubt he is going to do it now, he is going to let this team to win as many games they can.

pg2-

I think I'd probably rather see Bird use an asset (soon to expire
    contract, etc.) to 'trade up' as opposed to moving back for a
    couple mid-late-1st rd picks.

We need a kid with a shot at being an elite, NBA player. Odds are
    that'll mean moving up into the top-5 or 6 slots.

Note: Obviously, great luck in the Lottery could change everything.
    Last edited by Hillman's 'Fro'; 03-22-2010 at 11:42 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillman's 'Fro' For This Useful Post:

MT-

We've got 4 more games that, barring unforseen injuries,
    will be pretty tough. Losing to the likes of NY, NJ, WASH
    and SAC at Conseco isn't very likely.

Win all those and they're at 28 wins. Given the woeful
    play of the Clippers lately, that may well land them in
    the #10 slot as we head towards the Lottery.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman's 'Fro' View Post
    pg2-

I think I'd probably rather see Bird use an asset (soon to expire
    contract, etc.) to 'trade up' as opposed to moving back for a
    couple mid-late-1st rd picks.

We need a kid with a shot at being an elite, NBA player. Odds are
    that'll mean moving up into the top-5 or 6 slots.

Note: Obviously, great luck in the Lottery could change everything.
    I wouldn't count on trading an Expiring Contract for a higher draft pick.

Looking at the Teams that will likely be drafting ahead of us.....most ( if not all ) of the Teams would not have a need for an Expiring contract. The only Teams that would be interested in an Expiring contract are Teams like the Nuggets, Lakers, Mavs and Magic....which would likely need SalaryCap relief for the 2011-2012 LT Threshold ( specifically Teams that have $50+ mil in guaranteed Contracts owed to 7 or less Players ). Teams like the Nets, TWolves, Detroit, Washington, Sixers and the Knicks ( specifcally ones that would likely be drafting ahead or around us ) wouldn't have a need for one of our Expiring Contracts.

At most, I'd guess that an Expiring contract could net us some pick below our current position...but not above. IMHO....2010-2011 Expiring Contracts don't hold as much value as many would think given the Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Joe Sweepstakes. At best...we're going to be trading 1 ( maybe 2 ) of the Expiring Contracts for longer-term Contracts. I'm not holding my breathe when it comes to trading any of our Big4 contracts. I'd prefer to let them expire unless we can get into some deal to get a very solid 2nd Option.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-22-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had high hopes on getting him

We shouldn't tant, but sort of pull a "late game choke". Not to make us look like quitters.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I think if he has an entire tourney with self-control, interviews well, and shows up well at tryouts he might yet sneak in as the dark horse number 1 pick, slipping past Wall and Turner.

His "on" game features great scoring moves in the post, not just bulk and brute force. In fact he's not really a full-on bruiser, he's got a pretty well-rounded frontline game.

I turned around on him and his attitude during the end of the SEC season and their tourney. He's gotten better as a player and with his emotional control. The ability to mature is also a trait that I like in a player, not just the benefits from being more mature.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I think if he has an entire tourney with self-control, interviews well, and shows up well at tryouts he might yet sneak in as the dark horse number 1 pick, slipping past Wall and Turner.

His "on" game features great scoring moves in the post, not just bulk and brute force. In fact he's not really a full-on bruiser, he's got a pretty well-rounded frontline game.

I turned around on him and his attitude during the end of the SEC season and their tourney. He's gotten better as a player and with his emotional control. The ability to mature is also a trait that I like in a player, not just the benefits from being more mature.
    Wow, you've sure seen something I haven't. I just look at him and think Zach Randolph.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman's 'Fro' View Post
    MT-

We've got 4 more games that, barring unforseen injuries,
    will be pretty tough. Losing to the likes of NY, NJ, WASH
    and SAC at Conseco isn't very likely.

Win all those and they're at 28 wins. Given the woeful
    play of the Clippers lately, that may well land them in
    the #10 slot as we head towards the Lottery.
    To be honest, I could easily see us losing to NY, they do have a better record than us. Even Washington has been playing better with the emergence of Blatche.

Maybe I'm being a little optimistic ...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Wow, you've sure seen something I haven't. I just look at him and think Zach Randolph.
    Same here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Same here.
    +2

Looks like another Artest to me.
    Talking about how you resisted retaliating aint' exactly "all grown up".

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    +2

Looks like another Artest to me.
    Talking about how you resisted retaliating aint' exactly "all grown up".
    Right? I mean, most of us were taught that when we played sports in elementary school. What's Cousins going to tell us next? That he's going to resist beating kids up at recess and telling girls they have cooties?

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Attitude is only one of his reported issues. He also, allegedly, comes fully equipped with baggage and a posse of enablers ala a certain other fairly recent first round Pacer pick...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."