Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypothetical Question - Where does O'Brien coach next?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hypothetical Question - Where does O'Brien coach next?

Seth, from my viewpoint, I think his age and timeframe in his career fit the college game better. Yes there are older coaches, but I think he would prefer to reduce his travel and stay closer to family the older he gets. He is not going into a retirement home tomorrow granted. I just think at this point in his career and the lack of NBA options as a head coach, suit him more closely to a college position. He is a great teacher of individual fundamental basketball, but like you said he tends to not play his younger players. At the college level, I think he would flourish. I think he would have to deal with their immaturity, which he might not have the patience for. I don't think he wants to quit coaching (and making money) because his ego is too big to take a college gig. I just think that Jim would become a successful college coach if that is the way he went.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see him going to college. If he doesn't like giving playing time to young players, why would he then go to coach a team where the average age of its players is around 20 years old?

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would he go to college at this point? He wasn't working in college before and didn't seem to be pressing for a coaching job in general. He seems to have little tolerance for the frustrations of working with kids.

No way another NBA team gives him a chance, makes no sense.

I agree that he doesn't appear to have much interest in being an assistant, it doesn't appear to fit his personality.
    I'm not necessarily saying he would want to go to college, but the question was about where does O'Brien coach next. I think he's done enough damage this season where even opposing coaches and national sportswriters wonder publicly what he's doing.

If he wants to coach again, these are his options: D-league or similar professional league stateside, foreign teams, college or HS. Out of the bunch, college would seem to be most appealing --- and a place like Penn or Seton Hall where snagging every top recruit in the country isn't expected or required. It'd probably have to be a unique set of circumstances, but ultimately I'm just answering the hypothetical question.

Also, teams regularly lose less than 10 games in college - which means fewer irrelevant box scores.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Mood

at the YMCA

Frankly it was tough not giving a smarmy reply here.

Actually, I now look at all this in terms of 'worst case scenario' happening: the Pacers will a few meaningless games and drop to 9th pick max, they fail to draft an 'impact' player, have difficulty dumping Murphy's or Dunleavy's or TJ (until at least the trade deadline - thus next season is shot), and finally they keep O'Brien throughout next year as they realize they aren't going anywhere next year either...and O'Brien keeps the rookie glued to the bench, thus failing to develop him.

Hate to be such a pessimist, but it's like a few years ago when we had a chance at a mid-lotto pick and I thought what would happen (and did) was we'd drop in the lotto AND fail to make the playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Austin Meehan Middle School