View Poll Results: ?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pacers should tank and the Colts did the right thing.

4 25.00%
  • Colts should go for 16-0 and Pacers should try to win.

0 0%
  • History is different. Go for 16-0 and the Pacers should tank.

12 75.00%

Thread: Colts-Pacers comparison

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colts-Pacers comparison

Just curious... how does your view on the Pacers tanking compare to your view on the Colts giving up at the end of the season?

The Pacers should play to win every game and the Colts should have too?
    The Pacers should tank and the Colts did the right thing.
    Going for history is different. Go for 16-0 and tank for a high pick.
    Colts did the right thing and Pacers should try to win.
    Last edited by chrisjacobs7; 03-21-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Default Re: Colts-Pacers comparison

How do I edit the poll? Forgot to add the 'Colts did the right thing and Pacers should try to win.' option.

One has nothing whatsoever to do with the other. Building an elite
    team in the NFL and the NBA are two completely different things.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillman's 'Fro' For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hillman's 'Fro' View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One has nothing whatsoever to do with the other. Building an elite
    team in the NFL and the NBA are two completely different things.
    I'm attempting to call out the people who think the Pacers should try to win every game but also were the ones agreeing the Colts did the right thing by resting the starters. If you want your team to win every game it applies to both sports.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The better comparison hopefully will be the Pacers vs. the 2001-2002 Colts.

That Colts team was just terrible down the stretch, I think they had one win after week eight or nine prior to the finale. That final win knocked them down lower in the draft, and they proceeded to make a pick that was absolutely terrible in some circles. Yet that "disappointing" pick turned out to be a multiple Pro-Bowler and component of a championship team.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjacobs7 View Post
    I'm attempting to call out the people who think the Pacers should try to win every game but also were the ones agreeing the Colts did the right thing by resting the starters. If you want your team to win every game it applies to both sports.
    What about all the people who were angry about the Colts resting the starters who want the Pacers to tank? There's no double standard? I think it's funny that you you write "If you want your team to win every game it applies to both sports" and you're trying to call others out, yet you voted that they're different.
    Last edited by tsm612; 03-21-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wait...didn't Kobe go 13th in '96? Who said this whole lottery thing is all that anyway?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Banned

the colts were bad enough to get the number one pick and drafted the best quarterback ever, if they were the pacers they would had tried to get some decent players in the open market to get some meaninless wins and never draft freaking Payton Manning.

I can also point out that the Colts been winning most games than any other team in the last decade, the losing did not affected Payton or the Colts front office in fact they are one of the best teams in the NFL if not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Wait...didn't Kobe go 13th in '96? Who said this whole lottery thing is all that anyway?
    ...and Monta Ellis was 40th in 2005. Now he's ranked 6th for scoring on NBA.com with 25.7 ppg.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:

The NFL and the NBA are two completely different sports and leagues and require two completely different ways of building winners.

Without going into all the details, if you tried building an NFL team the way you build an NBA team, you would fall flat on your face in failure. If you tried building an NBA team the way you build an NFL team, you would fail just as equally.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Mood

My choice isn't up there as I consider tanking to be losing on purpose.

Colts should have gone for 16-0, Pacers should be playing the youth more and the vets less.

Quote Originally Posted by tsm612 View Post
    What about all the people who were angry about the Colts resting the starters who want the Pacers to tank? There's no double standard? I think it's funny that you you write "If you want your team to win every game it applies to both sports" and you're trying to call others out, yet you voted that they're different.
    I am looking at the bigger picture for each situation. The Colts were attempting to be one of the few teams to go 16-0, possibly attempt to be first to go 19-0. The Pacers losing games now solves the bigger problem of getting the talent upgrade we need through the draft. What I do not understand is how someone can advocate how the Pacers should win now, in games that mean nothing, and also think that the Colts shouldn't try to win in games that matter in terms of history.

The NFL has a much deeper draft, and the Colts have one of the best GMs in the business at the helm. If Larry Bird were an excellent evaluator of talent, and I could trust him in picking a great player regardless of drafting position I would agree with you. But Bird isn't that great in my opinion, so we need a higher pick to ensure we get a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    the colts were bad enough to get the number one pick and drafted the best quarterback ever, if they were the pacers they would had tried to get some decent players in the open market to get some meaninless wins and never draft freaking Payton Manning.
    Exactly. Aren't we all glad the Colts didn't win more meaningless games that season?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjacobs7 View Post
    I am looking at the bigger picture for each situation. The Colts were attempting to be one of the few teams to go 16-0, possibly attempt to be first to go 19-0. The Pacers losing games now solves the bigger problem of getting the talent upgrade we need through the draft. What I do not understand is how someone can advocate how the Pacers should win now, in games that mean nothing, and also think that the Colts shouldn't try to win in games that matter in terms of history.

The NFL has a much deeper draft, and the Colts have one of the best GMs in the business at the helm. If Larry Bird were an excellent evaluator of talent, and I could trust him in picking a great player regardless of drafting position I would agree with you. But Bird isn't that great in my opinion, so we need a higher pick to ensure we get a great player.
    Do they give out trophies for changing history? No. You could make the argument that those couple of games at the end of the season were just as meaningless as the Pacers games are now. The only reason you would want to go for those wins is pride. You want bragging rights. And as everyone is pointing out now, pride doesn't matter, only winning the championships matter. By that logic, it doesn't matter if the Pacers want to brag that they were up by 32 on the Thunder, and it doesn't matter if the Colts want to brag about winning every game.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

I can also point out that the Colts been winning most games than any other team in the last decade, the losing did not affected Payton or the Colts front office in fact they are one of the best teams in the NFL if not the best.
    That's the main point of this entire question. Does ANYONE feel remorse that Kelly Holcomb didn't drive the Colts to the victory over Minnesota to drop us to the 2nd pick in the 1998 draft? Anyone?

Two entirely different stages in a team's lifecycle to make a comparison between the two.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

Ok this was a bad comparison to bring up based on the different stages each team finds themself in. I just have a hard time understanding the logic of people who think the Pacers should try to win every game while at the same time saying the Colts did the right thing by not trying to win the final 2 games, but I digress. Sorry for bringing this up.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisjacobs7 For This Useful Post: