View Poll Results: If the Pacers win the lottery will you

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go to more games next year just based on that fact alone

22 64.71%
  • Purchase season tickets as soon as the draft is over

1 2.94%
  • Wait and see what other moves are made after the draft before you buy any tickets

3 8.82%
  • Be more interested in the Pacers but still not enough to buy any tickets

8 23.53%

Thread: Impact of winning the lottery.

Default Impact of winning the lottery.

I just wanted to create this poll because I wanted to see what the general feeling is among Pacer fans. I have lived in Tennessee for 28 years and I have now been in Florida for almost 3. I have seen the Pacers live when they have played the Hawks (Atlanta was close to Chattanooga) and the Magic (I now live 40 minutes from Orlando). However, I have never seen them play in Indy. That is going to change next year as I plan to see them in Indy at least twice. However, I have been doing more thinking and if they somehow win the Lottery this year I would almost immediately be interested in watching them more than that live.

So I started this Poll to just get a general feeling about how we all would feel about the team if we won the lottery. For me I would want to go to more games next year just because we won the lottery.

Default Re: Impact of winning the lottery.

Time and money are causing me to take a major step back in my attendance next year, so while winning the lottery (and assuming we take Wall or Turner) would certainly make me more excited, I couldn't say for sure that it would affect how many tickets I buy.

Banned

maybe I am pessimist now but I don't see the pacers are wining the lottery in fact I think that they are going to finish with the 8th or 9th pick so this conversation is moot.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 03-20-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    maybe I am pessimist now but I don't see the pacers are wining the lottery in fact I think that they are going to finish with the 8th or 9th pick so this conversation is mute.
    How can you have a silent conversation?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    How can you have a silent conversation?
    .............I am just mad at this team man, they are killing me

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

.............I am just mad at this team man, they are killing me
    Nothing will hurt you if you took a break.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Moot.

I live in Ft Wayne, so I'd be more interested but still couldn't come down for more than 1 or 2 games.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Nothing will hurt you if you took a break.
    trust me I am thinking about it, maybe a break for life

Winning the lottery would do tons for the Pacers. Not only will it bring back fans, both die-hard and casual, it will bring in more coverage nationally as well, which is great exposure and does even more when it comes to marketing and drawing fans outside of the state or at least interest.

Look at what Durant has done for the Thunder. Even teams like the Clippers, Kings and Warriors get televised nationally b/c of Blake Griffin (injured) Tyreke Evans and Stephen Curry. The Bucks garnered interest and started winning games with Jennings.

Portland fans came back b/c of Oden, and ended up being treated to the emergence of Brandon Roy.

John Wall would be the best thing that happened to the Pacers since Reggie Miller. Not saying he'll be a superstar, and not trying to take anything away from Danny Granger, but that's the type of impact he'll have simply by being drafted.

I think Evan Turner will be a great player and is a great pick as well, but even as National Player of the Year, he'll likely be under the radar, which could be a good thing

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

maybe I am pessimist now but I don't see the pacers are wining the lottery in fact I think that they are going to finish with the 8th or 9th pick so this conversation is moot.
    The question that was asked was in regards to IF we won the lottery, not where we think the team will end up picking.
    Grown Man Ball

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

I wouldn't attend more games (live in Florida), but I would definitely pay more attention than I am now.

You should put (Purchase League Pass as a choice) For the guys who are too far away from Indy to go to games
    Last edited by esabyrn333; 03-20-2010 at 08:46 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to esabyrn333 For This Useful Post:

I'm going to buy a season ticket regardless. I love the NBA too much.

I would much rather watch Wall or Turner for 41 games rather than Greg Monroe or say Patrick Patterson.

Went to both games this week, been rooting against the Pacers for that sole reason. Going tomorrow as well (to see Durant live) and I might root for the Pacers this time, see if it works.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lefty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Winning the lottery would do tons for the Pacers. Not only will it bring back fans, both die-hard and casual, it will bring in more coverage nationally as well, which is great exposure and does even more when it comes to marketing and drawing fans outside of the state or at least interest.

Look at what Durant has done for the Thunder. Even teams like the Clippers, Kings and Warriors get televised nationally b/c of Blake Griffin (injured) Tyreke Evans and Stephen Curry. The Bucks garnered interest and started winning games with Jennings.

Portland fans came back b/c of Oden, and ended up being treated to the emergence of Brandon Roy.

John Wall would be the best thing that happened to the Pacers since Reggie Miller. Not saying he'll be a superstar, and not trying to take anything away from Danny Granger, but that's the type of impact he'll have simply by being drafted.

I think Evan Turner will be a great player and is a great pick as well, but even as National Player of the Year, he'll likely be under the radar, which could be a good thing
    Some very good points here.

I think when it comes to a franchise player, we have a good player in Danny, but he's never going to bring any national attention. I don't really know how good he is, but I know he is not DWade, Lebron, Kobe, Mello, Duncan, DHoward level talent. He's a full notch below that and I think you need a guy at that upper level to really get any press at all.

It's hard to overstate the importance of losing the next month or two. This coming draft may determine just how good the Pacers are over the next decade because it's likely to be the last shot this club has at a #1 pick.....because I think we start getting more competitive very soon.

At minimum, we are going to get a very good player this June...one that is almost certainly more talented than anyone on the roster except maybe Granger. Combine this good player with the development of our younger players, the return of Foster and/or Hans...and it's very unlikely we will be as bad next year.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    You should put (Purchase League Pass as a choice) For the guys who are too far away from Indy to go to games
    That would have been a good option as well. However, my reason for doing this is just to see how it would affect the Pacers directly. League Pass would bring in revenue for the whole league but the other options affect the Pacers directly.

I follow every game online and I go to any home games I can when I'm in Indy (I travel 250 days a year). That will be exactly the same next year no matter what happens in the offseason.

Am I naive, or is it bizarre that this question is even being asked? For most Hooisers? Sure. For casual or moderate fans? Okay. But for the diehards that I'm assuming frequent this board? It just seems unnatural.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone. I realize that I have a Fever Pitch-esque mental disease. I guess I just assumed we all had the same disease.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

If I won the grand prize in either the Hoosier Lotto or Powerball, I might get season tickets again. Depends on how big the amount of the grand prize is and whether I am sharing that with other winners.

If I only win a free ticket to play the same game again, I would not.

Seriously, though, the Pacers getting the top pick would not matter nearly as much as a change in coaching would (not that I have any hope of either happening) because without that the franchise will not progress in its rebuild in any sustainable fashion. At least if I am at home watching or recording games, I can choose whether to watch or not without feeling like I wasted money or time, especially if next year repeats what happened this year, which looks possible if O'B is back, depending on who we trade away this summer.