View Poll Results: Should the Pacers Tank?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 73.08%
  • No

14 26.92%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wins over Bobcats and Pistons Change NBA Standings

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wins over Bobcats and Pistons Change NBA Standings

We all want the team to win on a consistent basis, it's just that some of us realize the nature of the business and that sometimes you must take a step backwards to take a leap forward. That's the way it'll be as long as the current draft setup is in place.

Rather than get caught up in your own selfish instant gratification, you'd be much wiser to think about what's best for the long-term future of this franchise.

It's not about what's best for you, right here, right now. It's about what's best for this franchise for the next decade.

That's simple: a higher draft choice, and a higher probability of finding talent that can make this a winning franchise once again.

Rooting for this team to lose these last few meaningless games is rooting for this franchise to win the next decade.

Be a true fan and bite the bullet now. Root for loses.

Besides, it's been said probably 80% of this team wont be here when we become relevant once again. In that case, ultimately the most important thing is that the 20%, the "keepers" (Danny & Roy), that we have in place continue to grow and play well.

Just do what I do -- root for Danny, Roy, Brandon and McRoberts to play well and then justify the loses by placing the blame on the guys who wont be here 4-18 months from now (Murphy, Ford, Watson, etc.).
    Last edited by Lance George; 03-20-2010 at 05:39 PM.

If/when we fail to land John Wall, we need to hope he goes to the Nets, and then make a play for Devin Harris.

I could also see us looking at Al Jefferson.

The key to getting an All-Star player for expiring contracts/draft picks is to look to really bad teams looking to shed salary, and I believe both the Nets and T'Wolves fit that bill. It doesn't hurt that their All-Stars are also at the top two positions of need for the Pacers.

Imagine, if you will...

Rush, Ford, and 2010 #1 pick for Harris
    Murphy and 2012 #1 pick for Jefferson

Hibbert
    Jefferson
    Granger
    Dunleavy
    Harris

ESPN's Draft Lottery has us at the 5th pick taking Ed Davis.

He's not the PF we need so hopefully in the end we wind up with at least Cousins.

If we don't end up with Wall, Turner, or Favors (maybe Cousins), then we should just look to trade the pick.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we don't end up with Wall, Turner, or Favors (maybe Cousins), then we should just look to trade the pick.
    I wouldn't mind us taking Monroe if those 4 are gone.

Isn't there word that he's staying at Georgetown for another year?

But I agree, if we don't wind up with either of those 4 then we should at least draft and trade the rights for a player we want.

Mood

if forfeiting the rest of the games was an option, i'd do it in a heartbeat

..I really REALLY hope someone takes Aldrich in front of us..

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm wondering just how many teams are thinking the same thing.

You know, I think I might revise my prediction about where the Pacers will finish in the lottery. Now I'm thinking they could slip to the tenth or eleventh pick. They are only a couple or three games away from that now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

It would be wrong to ask the players to lose on purpose. It would also be wrong to admit to tanking. However there are ways to make tanking happen, it should be happening, and I'm outraged that it is not. If Larry Bird cannot do this, he should be fired. Other teams are tanking to improve their team. It is obvious. How else would we be winning these games. It's not like we're any good for cryin' out loud.

We just need TJ Ford back. We are .454 with him out...and .277 with him getting minutes.

Put another way, 43% of our victories (10 of them) came in the 22 games he has sat this year....while 57% of our victories (13 of them) came in the 47 games he has played. Oh, and he's won his starting job back even though he has one of the worst plus-minuses on the team.

Why does he see the court, you might ask? Well, you can ask JOb to explain that along with 20 other questions that make no sense with respect to his decision making.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    We just need TJ Ford back. We are .454 with him out...and .277 with him getting minutes.

Put another way, 43% of our victories (10 of them) came in the 22 games he has sat this year....while 57% of our victories (13 of them) came in the 47 games he has played. Oh, and he's won his starting job back even though he has one of the worst plus-minuses on the team.

Why does he see the court, you might ask? Well, you can ask JOb to explain that along with 20 other questions that make no sense with respect to his decision making.
    My question has been whether it was the addition of AJ or the subtraction of TJ that is the huge difference.

They are 2-2 with a TJ/AJ lineup..but I don't think that's big enough to know. I guess we'll probably know next season..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post
    It would be wrong to ask the players to lose on purpose. It would also be wrong to admit to tanking. However there are ways to make tanking happen, it should be happening, and I'm outraged that it is not. If Larry Bird cannot do this, he should be fired. Other teams are tanking to improve their team. It is obvious. How else would we be winning these games. It's not like we're any good for cryin' out loud.
    Seriously can you blame Bird he's a legend. You don't become a legend, a great, a champion by accepting losing. It's like a foreign language Bird doesn't understand that.

JOB " Larry we should lose these last games to get a better pick"
    LB "HUH?"

JOB "LOSE"
    LB "WHAT?"

JOB "LOSE GAMES LARRY"
    LB "LOOK JIM YOU'RE TALKING FUNNY I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT. WHEN'D U LEARN GERMAN?"

Bird can't even say lose

Last edited by sportfireman; 03-20-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post
    What would the players have to gain by laying down and losing? if most of them will not be here, I'm sure they want to play well enough to hook up somewhere else.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post

So you are saying we have a chance??

You = my hero.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    I guess it doesn't matter if a player we really want stays in school an extra year. We'll be back in the lottery next year.

That's why O'Brien is going to be the coach next year. It's part of Bird's 3 year plan.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

my complaing is that this "CLOWN" is trying to save his job by winning meaninless games and not developing the players that are going to be part of the future.

Quit assuming Jimmy's winning is to keep his job next year. He'll be coaching the Pacers when next season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

I think Pacer fans better start looking at the increasing odds of a few things:
    We're still playing to win above all else.
    O'Brien is still playing to win.
    O'Brien is going to be here when the bells rings to start next season.

You are right, especially about Jimmy being here next year. Losing next year seems to be part of Bird's 3 year plan.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post

then justify the loses by placing the blame on the guys who wont be here 4-18 months from now (Murphy, Ford, Watson, etc.).

You forgot where to place the biggest part of the blame.... James O'Stubborn and he won't be here after next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    And isn't pride the one that goes "before a fall?"
    Nope. Pride goes before destruction. It's a haughty spirit that goes before a fall.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...18&version=NIV
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    B. Players that purposly lose games for better chances at a higher draft pick? (Tanking)
    Again, let's go over this. Tanking does NOT involve players purposely losing games. You would be in a lot of trouble with Stern and possibly law enforcement authorities if it were ever discovered that you had players or coaches doing that.

Tanking mainly involves management decisions that impact what kind of team they actually put on the floor. A lot of times, it involves NOT MAKING moves that would increase short term win totals.

For example, the Marcus Camby trade to the Blazers. You would NEVER see a team in tank mode making that kind of trade so they could win a few more games. Teams like the Nets and Warriors had plenty of roster flexibility to make a few moves to improve their win totals this season, but they just sat on their hands (in the Warriors' case, they repeatedly kept going to the D League). I wonder why they did that.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Nope. Pride goes before destruction. It's a haughty spirit that goes before a fall.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...18&version=NIV

Well, Anthem, your penchant for details and curious knowledge motivated me to browse biblegateway. I pushed the reverse button, which took me to the Proverbs 15 page ... and this was the first quote that jumped out at me:

"Stern discipline awaits him who leaves the path;
    he who hates correction will die."

David Stern, the brawl, the fate of the Pacers these past few years; it's all there. Scary.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maximization of long term results is what is best for most business models. I believe that applies to the Pacers as well.

IMO, playing young players to both see (and let fans see) truly what they have to offer as well as giving them a chance to develop has been key throughout the last two thirds of this season and the lack of overall focus on that aspect has been probably the most frustrating thing about watching the team throughout the season.

If we had truly committed to playing the young guys, any outcome from being completely hideous and competing with NJ for Wall up to being in the playoffs would have been more of a maximization of results both near AND long term due to player development being further along OR being better off from a draft pick standpoint, or some combination of both.

That has been taken away for the most part, and the recent wins are now have become more frustrating than entertaining because it does not maximize long term results, and actually minimizes them to an extent.

It was bizarre seeing people in Pacers gear during the Pistons game Friday night in the area of the balcony seats I had actually cheering some for the Pistons when they decided to actually play and make a game of it, and then get quiet again when the Pacers finally held them off. Those people are fans of the franchise and its long term goal of being competitive in the long term, IMO. I didn't participate, but I certainly respected the message they conveyed.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

There's still a chance at us getting the 4th pick at least if we don't finish past 6th.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    There's still a chance at us getting the 4th pick at least if we don't finish past 6th.
    ok....what?

There is zero chance of a team getting the 4th pick if they dont finish in the bottom 4. They only hold a lottery for the first 3 picks.

After that, you can only be pushed down 1-3 spots. You cannot improve your selection.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004