View Poll Results: Should the Pacers Tank?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 73.08%
  • No

14 26.92%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wins over Bobcats and Pistons Change NBA Standings

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Wins over Bobcats and Pistons Change NBA Standings

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the win over Charlotte moved the Pacers to the fifth draft spot, and the win over Detroit moved the Pacers to the seventh draft spot. Not only did the players fall from the top four to five, the Pacers also are signficantly less likely to move up to a top one, two, or three pick.

I don't know how else to say this, so I will put it like this:

[Quote]

Indy Star Reporter: What do you think about Jim O'Brien's recent string of wins? Is this a sign of good things to come next season?

Ryheathco: "It's irrelevant," Ryheathco said, "Try to do it in a [playoff] effort. It's really irrelevant."

[End Quote]

*Mods, can someone change the thread tittle to, "Wins Over" rather than "Wins of." I am running on a few hours of sleep today, my fault.
    Last edited by 1984; 03-20-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Mod Request

Default Re: Wins of Bobcats and Pistons Change NBA Standings

Yup. With home games vs WASH, SAC, NY and NJ and road tilts
    @ DET and WASH remaining, the Pacers are probably gonna win
    at least 27 games.

And not one of these wins means anything positive (well, beyond the
    immediate, emotional gratification of clueless, Pacer fans) in the grand
    scheme of things.

The team should try to win with the youth. I will continue to hope the young guys kick ***.... and come up just short at the final buzzer for the good of our next chance at a talent upgrade.

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The way this franchise runs things is really not comprehensible at times. Management should have FORCED O'brien to play the young guys once it was clear we weren't going to make the playoffs. The Murhpy's, Watson's and DunDun's of the world are only good at getting wins at the end of the year against other teams who are tanking. When it really mattered we sucked. Now we are just hurting ourselves.
    Next year nobody will give a darn if we had 22 wins this year or 28. It wont freaking matter to anyone. However it will be the difference between us having a significant chance at a top 3 pick or finishing with the 8th, 9th or 10th pick.
    Every freaking team besides us is tanking hardcore and its killing me. We've all suffered through this horrible season but we understood that at least we could have a good chance of landing a franchise changing player in the draft. This isn't the case anymore. Were going to get a guy in the late lotto that will be decent but nothing compared to what we could possibly get in the top 3 or 5. That's Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins, and Johnson.
    Why can't management understand this???

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacers101 For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wins over Bobcats and Pistons Change NBA Standings

Why would it have turned out any differently? I mean, we are the Indiana Pacers, right? We all knew we would picking 7th or beyond, honestly.

I guess you are right. All year I knew we would be doing this at the end of the year. We do it every single year. Win when it doesn't matter. I knew that we'd find a way to screw this up and in the end were going to get the 9th pick in the draft. That's my prediction.

I guess it doesn't matter if a player we really want stays in school an extra year. We'll be back in the lottery next year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This franchise is infuriating.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

It is hard enough to deal with a losing season. I was able to adjust my emotions not to care as much, to get use to that losing feeling. I then began looking to the future, thinking maybe we got a shot at getting a top five draft pick. Maybe we can get player that can address a need and help change this franchises direction.

Once again becoming emotionally attached to us needing to lose to increase our chances of getting that pick. And as we all can see the Pacers are doing what they always do every year of late, win just enough games to push themselves out of reach of that dream pick. And it feels awful, I feel like I felt when they were losing early on. I mean why win now? Do it when it counts, when we got a shot at the playoffs.

I know we can't really do worse than 6-9, but give this team a chance and they go on another 5 game win streak. I also agree if you are goig to play spoiler, play your youth. I can't wait for the day when JOB, Troy, and Dun are gone from this team. I know this is not all their faults, but it sure feels good to blame someone.

Thank you to this forum, at least we have place to come and complain. Thank you!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to odeez For This Useful Post:

Only 11 games out of the 8 seed, yeah!!!

Philly, Sacto, Detroit, and Washington must love the Pacers for desperately playing themselves out of a top 5 pick.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OrganizedConfusion For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not only did the players fall from the top four to five, the Pacers also are signficantly less likely to move up to a top one, two, or three pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillman's 'Fro'
    And not one of these wins means anything positive (well, beyond the
    immediate, emotional gratification of clueless, Pacer fans) in the grand
    scheme of things.
    I just wonder if the complaints would still be the same if the young guys were playing... and winning games? Poll questions like this one and just the general vibe from a lot of you tell me that you'd still be crying about winning games even if the youngsters were in.

I guess I'm convinced that the players could give a rat's *** about the franchise's lottery position. That's just fine with me! The players only focus should be winning and going all out, period!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers101
    The way this franchise runs things is really not comprehensible at times. Management should have FORCED O'brien to play the young guys once it was clear we weren't going to make the playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This franchise is infuriating.
    Management isn't going to tell this coaching staff how to coach the team. Bird didn't with Carlisle in regards to J.O. ball and I don't expect him to with O'Brien regarding who gets minutes down the stretch of the season. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that has been Bird's M.O. so I'm not surprised that this is the direction that we are rounding out the season.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 03-20-2010 at 11:46 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Banned

no way I would be complaining if they play the young players and win, my complaing is that this "CLOWN" is trying to save his job by winning meaninless games and not developing the players that are going to be part of the future. It seems to me like they are just trying to screw with the fans, like somebody already said, he want them to win they lose, we want them to lose they win WTF?

Another reason Bird must go, he loses win he should win and wins when he should lose.

This is like a finger to the fans.

When we wanted them to win they lost and now when we want a top 4 draft pick, they decide to win.

We have some difficult teams coming up, but at home so who knows what's gonna happen?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I just wonder if the complaints would still be the same if the young guys were playing... and winning games? Poll questions like this one and just the general vibe from a lot of you tell me that you'd still be crying about winning games even if the youngsters were in.

I guess I'm convinced that the players could give a rat's *** about the franchise's lottery position. That's just fine with me! The players only focus should be winning and going all out, period!
    If we win with our youth, I'd be estatic....because it gives me a glimmer of hope that we don't have to rely on the same game plan that has lost us games over the last 2 seasons.

I've said this before....I would have no problem with the Team trying to go out there and TRY TO win with our youth...in fact, I'd be all for that. Why? Because we'd be evaluating our youth ( specifically AJ and McRoberts ) to determine whether they'd be considered part of the future core or not while trying to win games would serve short and long term goals. If playing McRoberts more meaningful minutes translates into giving the FO the notion that he could fill the role of being a 4th/5th/6th rotational Big Man for the immediate future.....then it could save us the hassle of going out beyond this season to try to find one.

It's not about developing as much as it is about evaluating for the long-term. To paraphrase Seth on this subject.....it's better to find out what we have now with the pieces that we have....instead of waiting until the offseason to guess whether we have any keepers or not. What I have a problem with is trying to win games while giving extensive minutes to our vets does very little IMHO to help us in the future.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Most of these posts make my blood boil. I loved watching the wins. I could get hit by a bus next week and I can at least leave the earth knowing that I saw my beloved pacers beat the evil Pistons one last time.

Life is way too short.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Banned

the evil pistons are not the evil pistons anymore, that team sucks and unlike the pacers they started tanking long time ago

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You (IMO) should never want your team to lose on purpose. Being a bad team and losing is one thing. Having your guys accept losing, well how are guys who can accept losing play with pride when YOU decide they should win again? You can't turn a losing attitude on and off................This is just me but I NEVER want my competitors to stop COMPETING.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

I should just stay out of this conversation. Quitting is for losers and I'm neither a quitter or a loser. I like it when my team beats a team that it is clearly better than. Sue me.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I should just stay out of this conversation. Quitting is for losers and I'm neither a quitter or a loser. I like it when my team beats a team that it is clearly better than. Sue me.
    this team quit in the 1st 50+ games of the season, do you think they are going to become winners by winning the rest of the way?

Good for you that you enjoy a meaninless win that is affecting your team future

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    Why would it have turned out any differently? I mean, we are the Indiana Pacers, right? We all knew we would picking 7th or beyond, honestly.
    I've been posting for about two weeks now to expect the team to finish about eighth in the lottery hunt.

Pride conquers all.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    And that is the way it should be. That's called integrity. We're fans. We don't have to have integrity.

Management isn't going to tell this coaching staff how to coach the team. Bird didn't with Carlisle in regards to J.O. ball and I don't expect him to with O'Brien regarding who gets minutes down the stretch of the season.
    He wouldn't know what to tell them, anyway. Remember, Carlisle and Harter did most of the "coaching" when Bird was in the first chair. Having said that, I have noticed that McBob and AJ and DJ are getting more regular minutes, regardless of the given reasons.

Honestly though, there are some teams who are just better than the Pacers at tanking. We have the misfortune of having a number of our remaining games against those teams.
    Last edited by Tom White; 03-20-2010 at 12:52 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Haven't the Pacers won all their games over Detroit this season? Why would you expect to be different this time?

Tanking is mostly a myth, especially at this point of the season. If the Pistons and the Pacers were tanking, Granger and Stuckey wouldn't have played yesterday.

If the Pacers start winning over playoff teams left and right, then you have a point. As long as they're winning home games vs. teams lottery teams/fringe playoff teams, well, that's basically what they've done all season; that's no different what other lottery teams are doing right now.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

So the future of the franchise rests on the difference between the 5th pick and the 8th pick? This rookie class is the one that will turn it all around?

That boat won't float.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post: