Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dime Magazine: Felton could be Indiana's next PG

Default Dime Magazine: Felton could be Indiana's next PG

I wouldn't mind the deal as long as Felton's contract is reasonable.

http://dimemag.com/2010/03/ray-felto...t-point-guard/

NBA / Mar 18, 2010 / 1:03 pm
    Ray Felton could be Indiana’s next point guard

By Austin Burton

One of the 800 rumors to see the light of day around the NBA trade deadline was of a proposed deal sending T.J. Ford and Brandon Rush to the Bobcats for D.J. Augustin, Gerald Henderson and Nazr Mohammed.

At the time, Charlotte reportedly decided against making the move, mainly because T.J. is slated to make $8.5 million next season and then-owner Bob Johnson was hesitant to take on that much cap space on a borderline starter. But now that Michael Jordan is taking over as majority owner of the ‘Cats — assuming he was the one interested in Ford in the first place before Johnson vetoed it — he might be willing to take more risks with his money. A couple days after the Bobcats played at Indiana, Charlotte Observer beat writer Rick Bonnell wondered if Ford could be part of the Bobcats’ offseason plans this summer, in a sign-and-trade for free agent Ray Felton.

As the Bobcats challenge for the franchise’s first-ever playoff berth this year, their core unit is mostly set in place for the next few years. Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson are under contract through 2013, Boris Diaw through 2012, and Augustin and Henderson are still on their rookie deals. Tyson Chandler has a $12.5 million player-option for next season, which he’d be crazy to give up and test the market.

Felton, despite being one of the few staples for the organization as the full-time starting point guard for the last four-plus seasons, is now a wild card. Seeking a long-term deal last summer, he could only land a one-year agreement ($5.5M) with the ‘Cats. And if the team didn’t want to commit to him then, I don’t see why they’d do it now, since Felton hasn’t gotten significantly better this year — in fact, his scoring and assist numbers (11.8 ppg, 5.5 apg) are down, although his shooting percentages are up.

As a Pacers fan, I like a Felton-for-Ford deal. Every time you want to completely give up on T.J., he comes through with a good stretch, like when he bounced back from a month-long benching to average 13.6 points in February. But it’s time to move on.

Felton is a better long-term option who is more of a pure point guard than a scorer who just happens to be short. He’s got a track record of hitting clutch shots and has developed a more reliable outside jumper, hitting 37% beyond the arc this season, and he’s better defensively. Felton would make a solid PG/scorer combo with Danny Granger, and if Roy Hibbert keeps progressing in the middle, if Tyler Hansbrough can get (and stay) healthy, if Dahntay Jones remembers he’s there for defense and doesn’t try to become a scorer, the Pacers would have a nice young core plus a Lottery pick coming in, ideally a two-guard like Evan Turner or an athletic big man like Derrick Favors.

If the Bobcats for whatever reason still want Ford this summer, Indy needs to make that deal.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Dime Magazine: Felton could be Indiana's next PG

Felton is a good PG. Excellent game-manager and a tremendous, tough, defender. Who's a better defender at the PG position than Felton? Westbrook is one. Rondo, maybe? Rondo creates more havoc, but Felton is a better ball-hawk. It's a close call. In any case, a top-5 defender at his position and one of the very few 1-guards that can impact the game from the defensive side. Also a very good rebounder and an improving shooter. Felton is a big part of the Bobcats' success this season.

A team that locks up Felton for a MLE type of contract will get a good deal.

Depending on the size of Felton's new contract, I'd be very interested in trading TJ for him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Felton is a good PG. Excellent game-manager and a tremendous, tough, defender. Who's a better defender at the PG position than Felton? Westbrook is one. Rondo, maybe? Rondo creates more havoc, but Felton is a better ball-hawk. It's a close call. In any case, a top-5 defender at his position and one of the very few 1-guards that can impact the game from the defensive side. Also a very good rebounder and an improving shooter. Felton is a big part of the Bobcats' success this season.

A team that locks up Felton for a MLE type of contract will get a good deal.
    The guys you said are probably better. Paul gets a lot of steals and numbers, but I don't get the impression he's a particularly great defender--just clever in the passing lanes. Jrue Holiday might get there someday, he's really been coming on strong lately. His D is the main reason I wanted him in the draft. These guys picked below us continue to rub salt in our wounds.

I like Felton, I think he'd be great for this team. I'm with Hicks though--I want to see what kind of contract we are talking about with him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We'd probably acquire him with 8M if we wanna do a Ford/Felton deal.

Are we allowed to get other players included him in a S&T I had some other players in mind if we can do that and without giving up Brandon.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is very little reason the Bobcats would do this. It would cripple them financially next year, which I believe is much of the reason they were hesitant to pay him. Plus Felton was asking for more than they were (or anybody was) willing to give him. All of this to get TJ Ford. I just don't see it. Not that I wouldn't mind getting Felton. But I think our best bet is to offer Foster, cash, and a second rounder for Felton to sign and trade with a team under the cap that misses out on the bigger free agents. Foster will be a good trading chip for that team at the deadline, plus any sweetener would be that much more beneficial.

The minimum Felton could sign for to take back Ford would be $6.72M. I would think a three year deal in the 20-22M range would be appropriate to make this sort of deal. If the Cats made this deal, they would be looking at a $69M payroll BEFORE they even talk to Tyrus Thomas about an extension. Why would they have given up their first rounder this year if they weren't planning on re-signing him? This deal just doesn't make much sense without us taking back more salary for next year than we send to them. And that would be VERY imprudent for us to do.

Just my opinion. For every dollar they pay Felton,

I dont know how great Felton will be. To me, PG is probably the most important position on the floor (unless you have a Lebron, Wade or Kobe) and Felton doesnt seem like the guy that will be that great PG for us.

With all the money we have coming off the books in 2011 and the great pick we could possible have this season, I think its crucial to be very careful who we add on our team.

But I could be wrong, Felton could just be a Bobcats system that just doesnt fit his style...
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    There is very little reason the Bobcats would do this. It would cripple them financially next year, which I believe is much of the reason they were hesitant to pay him. Plus Felton was asking for more than they were (or anybody was) willing to give him. All of this to get TJ Ford. I just don't see it. Not that I wouldn't mind getting Felton. But I think our best bet is to offer Foster, cash, and a second rounder for Felton to sign and trade with a team under the cap that misses out on the bigger free agents. Foster will be a good trading chip for that team at the deadline, plus any sweetener would be that much more beneficial.

The minimum Felton could sign for to take back Ford would be $6.72M. I would think a three year deal in the 20-22M range would be appropriate to make this sort of deal. If the Cats made this deal, they would be looking at a $69M payroll BEFORE they even talk to Tyrus Thomas about an extension. Why would they have given up their first rounder this year if they weren't planning on re-signing him? This deal just doesn't make much sense without us taking back more salary for next year than we send to them. And that would be VERY imprudent for us to do.

Good points. Is Jordan really that high on Ford? I don't see it. Can anyone else explain why the Bobcats would do this? Besides not wanting to pay Felton, why? He seems to be a solid PG, rugged and can defend. I guess all of this is mute if we can land Wall, I remain hopeful.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm thinking if the Bobcats had interest in TJ Ford based on Brandon Rush rumors of last 2 season they would be a package . The Pacers would acquire Felton and perhaps Gerald Henderson.

To me I see no way the Bobcats do a straight up Felton for Ford trade expecially when you consider Ford is signed for only one more year . I think its very possible the Bobcats would demand Rush as part of a deal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    Good points. Is Jordan really that high on Ford? I don't see it. Can anyone else explain why the Bobcats would do this? Besides not wanting to pay Felton, why? He seems to be a solid PG, rugged and can defend. I guess all of this is mute if we can land Wall, I remain hopeful.
    Well with all due respect, the deal was for Ford and Rush for Felton, Henderson and Nazr (who is getting paid $6.5 this year and next year). So they do lose Nazr's big/useless contract.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    I'm thinking if the Bobcats had interest in TJ Ford based on Brandon Rush rumors of last 2 season they would be a package . The Pacers would acquire Felton and perhaps Gerald Henderson.

To me I see no way the Bobcats do a straight up Felton for Ford trade expecially when you consider Ford is signed for only one more year . I think its very possible the Bobcats would demand Rush as part of a deal.
    If they could sign Felton to a $5 million/year deal for Felton, I would accept him as a Pacers. But if it got to $8 million/year like we paid Ford, then it wouldnt want Felton.

If you look at Felton's number, he didnt do anything spectacular this season that would merit him making more then MLE money

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If they could sign Felton to a $5 million/year deal for Felton, I would accept him as a Pacers. But if it got to $8 million/year like we paid Ford, then it wouldnt want Felton.

If you look at Felton's number, he didnt do anything spectacular this season that would merit him making more then MLE money
    Well, if one of his best assets is his defense, the stats could be misleading.

I have wanted Felton as the Pacers PG for a long time. I think he would be a great fit. I think he will be kinda like a Chauncy Billups in the sense that he will be getting a lot better as his career goes on.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't give up Rush for anyone on the Bobcats roster not named Gerald Wallace, that includes Felton. I think Rush gets so under appreciated around here, but I love his defense and hope he stays here long enough for a coach who can turn him into the all around player I know he can be.
    Last edited by Dr. Awesome; 03-19-2010 at 03:12 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Well with all due respect, the deal was for Ford and Rush for Felton, Henderson and Nazr (who is getting paid $6.5 this year and next year). So they do lose Nazr's big/useless contract.
    I can see it pan out like this if they demand BRush....which I can totally see the Bobcats asking for:

Ford ( $8.5 mil in 2010-2011 ) + BRush ( $2.069 mil in 2010-2011 )

for

Felton ( S&T starting at $6.45 mil*** in 2010-2011 for some 4 year deal ) + Henderson ( $2.104 mil in 2010-2011 )

*** A contract starting at $6.45 mil in 2010-2011 would be the minimum that could be had in a S&T to make salaries work.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I have wanted Felton as the Pacers PG for a long time. I think he would be a great fit. I think he will be kinda like a Chauncy Billups in the sense that he will be getting a lot better as his career goes on.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't give up Rush for anyone on the Bobcats roster not named Gerald Wallace, that includes Felton. I think Rush gets so under appreciated around here, but I love his defense and hope he stays here long enough for a coach who can turn him into the all around player I know he can be.
    As suggested before....I'd prefer to counter-offer with swapping out BRush for Inferno with a S&T of Felton ( starting at $6.8 mil in 2010-2011 ) ...but I'd guess that the Bobcats would stick to wanting BRush.

Inferno seems to be a better fit for Larry Brown as a vet and solid aggressive perimeter roleplayer
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-19-2010 at 03:27 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I can see it pan out like this if they demand BRush....which I can totally see the Bobcats asking for:

Ford ( $8.5 mil in 2010-2011 ) + BRush ( $2.069 mil in 2010-2011 )

for

Felton ( S&T starting at $6.45 mil*** in 2010-2011 for some 4 year deal ) + Henderson ( $2.104 mil in 2010-2011 )

*** A contract starting at $6.45 mil in 2010-2011 would be the minimum that could be had in a S&T to make salaries work.
    I think Bobcats are going to want to include Nazr in this deal. They would want to get rid of his contract

As suggested before....I'd prefer to counter-offer with swapping out BRush for Inferno with a S&T of Felton ( starting at $6.8 mil in 2010-2011 ) ...but I'd guess that the Bobcats would stick to wanting BRush.

Inferno seems to be a better fit for Larry Brown as a vet and solid aggressive perimeter roleplayer.
    I would do that, but nothing including Rush unless Wallace is coming back here. I would be furious actually. Half the reason I want a PG like Felton is to put him next to Rush. I can't watch this team until the defense improves, trading away our best defender would drive me insane as a fan.
    Last edited by Dr. Awesome; 03-19-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Mood

The deal originally at the deadline was for Nazr, not Felton. And if you are speculating about your thoughts on a deal, then my speculation is equally relevant.

Either way, there is no way that the Bobcats will S&T Felton. It adds WAY too much salary to the 2010-2011 figure for the kind of money Felton wants. If he signs for less money, then the Bobcats would probably keep him because he was asking for way too much last year. He is probably going to get the full MLE from another team and the Bobcats will want to discuss Ford again for players that will actually be on their roster next year.

The deal originally at the deadline was for Nazr, not Felton. And if you are speculating about your thoughts on a deal, then my speculation is equally relevant.

Either way, there is no way that the Bobcats will S&T Felton. It adds WAY too much salary to the 2010-2011 figure for the kind of money Felton wants. If he signs for less money, then the Bobcats would probably keep him because he was asking for way too much last year. He is probably going to get the full MLE from another team and the Bobcats will want to discuss Ford again for players that will actually be on their roster next year.
    Opps sorry! It was for Augustin, Nazr and Henderson for Ford and Rush

Sports Logo

I think Bobcats are going to want to include Nazr in this deal. They would want to get rid of his contract
    With Felton potentially leaving with no compensation and any possible lingering interest in Ford that Brown/MJ would still have ....the Bobcats can still make the same offer as before with Nazr included....but what reason would the Pacers have in the 2010-2011 Offseason to take on Nazr ( especially if it looks like we will draft a Big Man )?

If the Pacers were to lose out on the Wall sweepstakes ( which is likely ), the Pacers are still going to be looking for a Starting PG either at the start of the 2010-2011 season or the 2011-2012 season when the Big4 Expire. IMHO....if the Bobcats are still interested in Ford as a quick short term solution at the PG spot....I'd really hope that TPTB pursue Felton. Swapping Nazr for Ford does nothing for us.

With Felton potentially leaving with no compensation and any possible lingering interest in Ford that Brown/MJ would still have ....the Bobcats can still make the same offer as before with Nazr included....but what reason would the Pacers have in the 2010-2011 Offseason to take on Nazr ( especially if it looks like we will draft a Big Man )?

If the Pacers were to lose out on the Wall sweepstakes ( which is likely ), the Pacers are still going to be looking for a Starting PG either at the start of the 2010-2011 season or the 2011-2012 season when the Big4 Expire. IMHO....if the Bobcats are still interested in Ford as a quick short term solution at the PG spot....I'd really hope that TPTB pursue Felton. Swapping Nazr for Ford does nothing for us.
    Technically its the BIG 5...we're still paying Tinsley - his contact expires then too

Sports Logo

Technically its the BIG 5...we're still paying Tinsley - his contact expires then too
    Don't remind me.....

I try to block out anything related to the Team from that era.

I'm with the camp that thinks Rush was as much of a part of the near-deal at the deadline as Ford was, and I agree that they're definitely going to try to include Nazr in any deal where they take back Ford. If that's the case, I definitely think the Pacers need to get something back as sweetener, preferably Henderson.

If we could do a straight Felton for Ford deal with the numbers proposed above, I'd do it in a second. With a Felton/Price combo we'd be solid at the PG position for at least the next 3 years. I think we'd all be surprised at the effect a fairly consistent and reliable sure-fire starting caliber PG would have on the team. We haven't had one of those here since Mark Jackson - unless you count the 1/3 season Jack spent as a starter.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

but what reason would the Pacers have in the 2010-2011 Offseason to take on Nazr ( especially if it looks like we will draft a Big Man )?

Swapping Nazr for Ford does nothing for us.

I wish these Charlotte/Indiana threads would be combined!

Ist Nazr is a center and the Pacers are looking to draft a PF. Nazr is a quality b/u center to Hibbert. The Pacers can't count on Foster next year to be the b/u center.

2nd swapping Nazr for Ford... GETS RID OF FORD!! Both have expiring contracts next season, and the Pacers are not taking on any extra years with Nazr and still have an expiring for the 2011 summer.

3rd Gives Price to opportunity to really develop.

Felton makes 5.5 mil this season, and he wants Ford type money 8-9 mil. Charlotte doesn't want to sign him for that kind of money for 4-5 years. They trade Nazr and filler for Ford, let Felton go, keep Augustin as a b/u to Ford, and they have a year to find Ford's replacement at less money. That's why Charlotte does the trade for Ford.

Sports Logo

I'm all for Inferno+Ford for Felton ( S&T ) + Henderson.

I would be hard-pressed ( but on the fence ) to do a BRush+Ford for Felton ( S&T ) + Henderson.

But including Nazr into the whole mix would make no sense since he would simply get minutes ahead of Hansbrough next season.