Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

  1. #1
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,644

    Default Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    He never thought his first NBA season would be spent in street clothes, shuffling in and out of doctors' offices trying to figure out what's wrong.
    Advertisement

    But that's what Hansbrough has dealt with this season. His latest problem -- an inner ear infection and/or possible concussion -- has kept him sidelined for most of the past two-plus months. The Pacers aren't expecting him to return this season.

    "It really is miserable for me to be dealing with this injury," Hansbrough said recently. "I've never had an injury like this where it's kept me out a long time. It's something I'm trying to get over and get healthy."

    Hansbrough's current diagnosis remains a mystery.

    The team has been calling it an inner ear infection since late December. Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said two weeks ago that it possibly could be a concussion, caused when Hansbrough took a hit in a game in Boston in late December.

    "It could be a combination of those two. We're not really sure," Hansbrough said.

    He is working out some and is evaluated on a regular basis, but there is no timetable for his return.

    The Pacers plan for Hansbrough to play on their summer league team, and O'Brien said next season will be like another rookie year for him.

    "I've had some bad luck this year," Hansbrough said. "Hopefully I'll get over it soon. Four games my senior year at (North) Carolina because of my shin is the most games I've ever missed until this year."

    Hansbrough has played in four games since Dec. 29. Dizzy spells caused him to go back to the bench. He hasn't played since. He averaged 8.5 points and 4.8 rebounds in 29 games.

    Hansbrough hasn't traveled with the team in more than a month. He used his free time to watch his younger brother play at Notre Dame and visit friends who go to school in Evansville. Hansbrough recently got into playing video games.

    "I've got to find a way to pass the time," he said. "I know I'll get past this. I'll recover from it and I'm looking forward to getting back out there playing again."
    Etc.

    G Luther Head has played a total of six minutes in the past seven games, and didn't play at all in six of those games. . . . F Troy Murphy won't top the team's single-season record of 48 double-doubles, which he set last season, but he's still tied for 12th in the league in that category with 30.
    By Mike Wells
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ers-Hansbrough
    INDY STAR
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  2. #2
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,644

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    OK now I'm actually worried about Tyler
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Now I'm relieved.
    He's working out some.
    That's progress.
    We always knew it was a slow recovery.
    That is apparently happening.
    Cool

  4. #4

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now I'm relieved.
    He's working out some.
    That's progress.
    We always knew it was a slow recovery.
    That is apparently happening.
    Cool

    If you'll go to indystar.com fan forum there is a guy named Hank from Atlanta who has had the exact same symptons and finally got them corrected...he is urgently trying to get ahold of someone with Pacers to pass on the diagnosis and treatment. Check it out.....and if you know someone inside the Pacers, make sure they read his thread

  5. #5
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,644

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    This is an interesting read also


    http://forum.semo.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=222733
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Larry and Frank -- Birds of a Feather!
    Posts
    3,437
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Sounds like whoever "Hank" is at least has stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently, perhaps more than once.

    If what he is saying is true, a chronic long term misalignment would probably be difficult to correct with just an adjustment. At best, it would be adjustments followed by electrical stimulation of the muscles as well as physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in the area to hold the proper alignment in place. Otherwise, there is likelihood that the vertebra would slip back out of alignment towards where it has been for an extended period of time, thereby possibly causing a recurrence.

    I am not sure that, if true, this would be a good prognosis for him due to the physical nature of his play and the NBA in general.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    I'm glad he's looking positively about this. He's optimistic, which is good.

  10. #8
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    He still has the rest of the season and the whole summer to rest and get back into shape which is the good out of all this.

    It'll probably be cleared up by then.

  11. #9
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Yeah, there should be a lot of concern for Tyler. I just have never seen a player miss this much time with an injury like this. And they can't even diagnosis it yet, that is scary. He must be be incredibly frustrated to not be able to play, and I feel for the kid.

    Does the question now become, will he ever be able to play the way he played before? I wonder...
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

  12. #10

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, there should be a lot of concern for Tyler. I just have never seen a player miss this much time with an injury like this. And they can't even diagnosis it yet, that is scary. He must be be incredibly frustrated to not be able to play, and I feel for the kid.

    Does the question now become, will he ever be able to play the way he played before? I wonder...
    If it's Meniere's syndrome, Steve Francis missed a few games in his 2nd season due to it and played many with migraines/dizziness. It also took them a lot of time to figure out a diagnosis.

    If it's PCS, Scalabrine didn't play for 3 months last season with the Celtics + Wallace was also out for an extended period of time 2 seasons ago.

  13. #11
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does the question now become, will he ever be able to play the way he played before? I wonder...
    It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll play again, PERIOD. It's been 3 months and there's still no diagnosis. That's not a good thing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,350
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Will Hansbrough turn into Scott Haskins a 1st rounder injured in his rookie season who never recovered and was done after his rookie year.

    Many look at Haskins and say flop but forget he tore up his knee in his rookie year then while rehabbing suffered a back injury which lead to nerve damage and ended his career.

    Basicly it just proves what a crap shoot the draft is and how much the success can be tied to an injury

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:


  17. #13
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    who was it a while back that said the indy people realized he had some chronic condition after they drafted him and were not happy?

  18. #14
    3 Inch Vertical Kraut N Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Playing video games and driving long hours and cr*ppy roads to South Bend and Evansville don't sound like good ways for someone dealing with a chronic dizziness health issue to pass the time!

  19. #15
    Member pacers101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    This is really starting to bother me. The kid has been out for a LONG time and he has the Pacers training staff looking after him yet they still don't know what is exactly wrong with him???
    We keep hearing this crap about an ear infection and maybe a concussion... Clearly the Pacers still don't know what the problem is. Well we spent our 13th pick on Tyler when we needed a PG and that draft was loaded with them so we need to figure out what the hell this injury/sickness is and heal him or were going to have blown a nice draft pick.

  20. #16
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Clearly the Pacers still don't know what the problem is.
    Not just the Pacers... I bet he's seen every specialist in Indiana and at least one in New England. Everybody's stumped.

    Quote Originally Posted by 101
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well we spent our 13th pick on Tyler when we needed a PG and that draft was loaded with them so we need to figure out what the hell this injury/sickness is and heal him or we're going to have blown a nice draft pick.
    Not sure the health is even relevant there... a significant portion of us thought it was a blown pick as soon as it was announced.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  21. #17

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    I don't think he'll ever play again.

    A real shame.

    I love the core of A.J. Rush Granger Tyler Hibbert

  22. #18
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,529

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not just the Pacers... I bet he's seen every specialist in Indiana and at least one in New England. Everybody's stumped.


    Not sure the health is even relevant there... a significant portion of us thought it was a blown pick as soon as it was announced.
    I don't think they are stumped.... I think PCS is probably fairly accurate. They just don't know what to do about it or if there's even anything they can do about it... but wait and hope.

    And even if the symptoms subside they won't have any guarantee that even a relatively mild bit of contact could set it off again.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  23. #19

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    It doesn't matter if there is a diagnosis or not. These conditions can clear on their own with time with at worst some occasional setbacks. At the least he may recover sufficiently that he can continue even if he isn't quite 100% again. Given Tyler's temperament and intensity he will find a way to continue his career which is a good part of the battle. I'm betting on his sheer willpower to return.

  24. #20
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,037

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Eh, they'll get this fixed, I really doubt his "career is derailed". PCS, inner-ear infection, Meniere's (which is just another inner ear ailment) --- can all be long recoveries. Like I said, I was very dizzy for 3-4 months when I first got it, and I still go through periods every year where I fight it.

    I just learned to live with it. Hell, I've even considered that I might have Meniere's (I've read about it before this thread), and reading that guy's diatribe sorta makes sense, because my back is jacked up and crooked, lol. You move on, though. People like to read Wikipedia and then think they've earned a doctorate.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-19-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  25. #21
    Member crunk-juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Purdue
    Posts
    1,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    diagnosis, bad babysitting

  26. #22
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't matter if there is a diagnosis or not. These conditions can clear on their own with time with at worst some occasional setbacks. At the least he may recover sufficiently that he can continue even if he isn't quite 100% again. Given Tyler's temperament and intensity he will find a way to continue his career which is a good part of the battle. I'm betting on his sheer willpower to return.
    Are you talking about Hulk Hogan, or Tyler Hansbrough? I just don't see Tyler "Hulking up" and fighting his way through the pain to body slam the 600 pound giant... figuratively speaking of course.

    If the kid has Meniere's syndrome, it's going to take a lot more than him just toughing it out.
    Grown Man Ball

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:


  28. #23

    Unhappy Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll play again, PERIOD. It's been 3 months and there's still no diagnosis. That's not a good thing.
    ugh, i wish you were just being silly but, you are correct. i hope this condition gets better and he can play again next season but i am getting increasingly worried.
    if he still isn't feeling well enough to play and contribute by summer league, i will be thinking he might just be done for keeps.
    if by the time next season starts and he still isn't ready, i will be of the mindset that he is just plain done. of course he might not be but, hey- who knows?

  29. #24
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ugh, i wish you were just being silly but, you are correct. i hope this condition gets better and he can play again next season but i am getting increasingly worried.
    if he still isn't feeling well enough to play and contribute by summer league, i will be thinking he might just be done for keeps.
    if by the time next season starts and he still isn't ready, i will be of the mindset that he is just plain done. of course he might not be but, hey- who knows?
    I'm not saying he's out. I'm eternally hopeful. I'm just acknowledging that nothing so far has indicated he'll play next year (other than vague optimistic statements).
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  30. #25
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,600

    Default Re: Still no diagnosis for Pacers' Hansbrough

    Lights, sound, quick motion
    Cause disorientation.
    Future uncertain.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Life as a rookie: Tyler Hansbrough
    By pwee31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 11:28 AM
  2. Tbird analysis: An in depth study of Tyler Hansbrough
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 05:34 PM
  3. The Five Stages Of Accepting Tyler Hansbrough
    By Peter_sixtyftsixin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
  4. Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill
    By 1984 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 05:17 PM
  5. Hansbrough a year ago.
    By RWB in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •