Thread: Tyreke Evans sued over shooting death

Default Tyreke Evans sued over shooting death

PHILADELPHIA -- Sacramento Kings rookie Tyreke Evans is being sued over a fatal shooting committed by a teen cousin in his vehicle.

Evans is among four people being sued over the November 2007 drive-by shooting near his home in Chester, just south of Philadelphia.

Jamar Evans is serving a nine- to 20-year prison term after admitting he fired out the passenger-side door and killed 19-year-old Marcus Reason. Jamar Evans was 16 at the time.

Tyreke Evans was then a highly recruited high school player. He later played one season for the University of Memphis before jumping to the NBA.

Reason's family is seeking more than $50,000 in the wrongful-death suit filed in Delaware County.
    ESPN
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4840237
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Tyreke Evans sued over shooting death

I know this article is about 2 months old, but the reason I posted this article is to ask, where do you draw the line between red-flags and talent?

If we had a chance to draft Evans, would Bird not draft Evans because of his involvement in a murder? I like how Bird likes to draft mature players, but where would one draw the line.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

i think the line has already been drawn with the recent trades and draft picks. This franchise can't ignore the problems coming from immaturity and bad surroundings of past players.

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i think the line has already been drawn with the recent trades and draft picks. This franchise can't ignore the problems coming from immaturity and bad surroundings of past players.
    So if you were Bird (and had the chance to draft Evans), you would pass on him?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this a case of someone taking advantage of his success to be honest.

Where do you draw the line? A lame (but true) answer is: It depends. You weigh all these things, look for behavioral patterns, and do your research. These guys have access to so much more information than us (contacting ex-coaches, acquaintances, etc.), so that is an area I typically will trust management's judgment on.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    honestly Im not sure... But cdash makes some good points. It's always tough to judge someone based on others actions. For example a player could grow up in a really bad neighborhood like a lot of athletes have and they are surround by or have bad friends. But the character of the player determines it all whether he just knows them cause they were around when he was growing up, or if the athlete will actually engage in the bad activities that stand in front of them.

It's just a really tough thing to judge because you have mike vick dogfighting for so long and yet it barely came up a couple years ago.

So it's always not so clear about the athletes background at least to us fans. However I would hope the pacers and every franchise has someone checking into their lives before signing or drafting someone.

After finishing this thought I'd have to say no, if I were bird I wouldn't have drafted him. Too much risk for a franchise that can't afford it. Not everyone is going to believe oh well just wrong place wrong time. There minds will reflect back to Jack and tinsley.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I think, and by no means am I saying this is how Bird thinks, that you can have 1 "bad egg" on a team and more than likely everything will be ok. It's when you get 3-6 of them on your team that you have nightclub shootings and players decking fat white dudes in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I think, and by no means am I saying this is how Bird thinks, that you can have 1 "bad egg" on a team and more than likely everything will be ok. It's when you get 3-6 of them on your team that you have nightclub shootings and players decking fat white dudes in the stands.
    I agree. Now with that said, I wonder it Bird will seriously consider Cousins :s

Was the guy IN the car during the shooting? If it was his cousin who did the shooting and Evans happened to hold title to the car that was used, that doesn't mean he was involved, knew about it, condoned it, whatever.

The first thing I thought when I read the first post in this thread was that unfortunately the family of the murdered kid was reaching out to get money form the only place where money was available...and I hope Evans wins because it seems baseless given what I know about it.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    Was the guy IN the car during the shooting? If it was his cousin who did the shooting and Evans happened to hold title to the car that was used, that doesn't mean he was involved, knew about it, condoned it, whatever.

The first thing I thought when I read the first post in this thread was that unfortunately the family of the murdered kid was reaching out to get money form the only place where money was available...and I hope Evans wins because it seems baseless given what I know about it.
    He was actually driving the car.

(Shortened story) He and his cousin were leaving his cousin's house to go back to his (Evans') house. When they got in the vehicle, they were approached by another gang. There was an exchange, Evans told police he heard something to similiar to "He's got a gun. Go!" So Evans put the vehicle in drive, ducked down, and sped out of the area as he heard gunshots.

He then turned his head and saw his cousin putting a gun away into the front pocket of his sweatshirt. They drove to his mother's house, where the police caught up with them.

Evans was fully cooperative with the police, and even gave them the statement he saw his cousin with the gun, and even told them where the gun was (IIRC).

He wasn't charged with any crime due to the circumstances of him not knowing what was going to happen, and his behavior after the fact.

It's nothing but a money grab, IMHO, but it does continue the debate on what is "big" and what is not.
    Last edited by Since86; 03-19-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    He was actually driving the car.

(Shortened story) He and his cousin were leaving his cousin's house to go back to his (Wall's) house. When they got in the vehicle, they were approached by another gang. There was an exchange, Wall told police he heard something to similiar to "He's got a gun. Go!" So Wall put the vehicle in drive, ducked down, and sped out of the area as he heard gunshots.

He then turned his head and saw his cousin putting a gun away into the front pocket of his sweatshirt. They drove to his mother's house, where the police caught up with them.

Wall was fully cooperative with the police, and even gave them the statement he saw his cousin with the gun, and even told them where the gun was (IIRC).

He wasn't charged with any crime due to the circumstances of him not knowing what was going to happen, and his behavior after the fact.

It's nothing but a money grab, IMHO, but it does continue the debate on what is "big" and what is not.
    Wall?

Yes

So Wall and Evans were both in the car?

Oops....Not Wall. It was Evans.

Sorry, braincramp.

It's been edited.

Wait I thought it was Evans that was driving the car his cousin was in the passenger seat.

Haha at least we know who you want in the draft!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    Wait I thought it was Evans that was driving the car his cousin was in the passenger seat.

Haha at least we know who you want in the draft!!
    Turner hasn't been discussed in this thread.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: