Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Jackson decides to sign with an agent this week

Exclamation Mark Jackson decides to sign with an agent this week

Excerpt from original article
    titled "Jackson could be on radar for Clips, Nets" located at http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...38893/20516738

Another situation that bears watching is Indiana, where Jackson enjoyed some of his best years as a player. Former Pacers GM Donnie Walsh, who also is represented by Jackson’s new agent, Steve Kauffman, thinks highly of Jackson and still holds sway over Pacers owner Herb Simon when it comes to transformational decisions such as a coaching hire. If the Pacers decide to dismiss Jim O’Brien after the season for a new voice, and Jackson’s communication skills popularity within the organization will be among his biggest strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mark Jackson decides to sign with an agent this week

I like Jackson, but is he the coach we need? I am not 100% sure he is the guy.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Dunno man, but I DO know that O'Brien is NOT the coach we need after this season concludes..

That I am certain

I also think that he would be a GREAT coaching/mentor for AJ and the rest of the young'uns..

Imagine if we DID in fact win the #1 draft pick and selected Wall..

Imagine Wall and Price BOTH being mentored/coached by Mark Jackson..

Sounds like a good situation to me..

I think that Point Guard driven teams COACHED by former player/ floor general p.g.'s , (as in teams who's star and leader is the pg) such as WAS the case with New Orleans .. seem to be a recipe for sucess... Even if by sucess it was in Byron Scott having a hand in developing the young pg aka Paul into a better player...

The idea intrigues me of giving Jackson a shot ...

Last edited by Kemo; 03-18-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Jax would be my #2 behind Brian Shaw!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pass... I want a guy that is willing to pay his dues to earn a head coaching job in this league! It would be one thing if he was just plucked to be a head coach, but to have a guy come out and say that he doesn't need to be an assistant isn't the guy I want. Put in the work then come talk to us. I hope that is the line this Front office takes with him.

Pay your dues, anyone can sound like they know what they are talking about from behind a microphone. Just like Matt Millen!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Talking about a new head coach for the Pacers, I'd prefer Alex English or Brian Shaw because they already have assistant coaching experience.

I honestly think Mark is just going to become another Vinny Del Negro and he really hasn't done anything impressive to turn that team around as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Talking about a new head coach for the Pacers, I'd prefer Alex English or Brian Shaw because they already have assistant coaching experience.

I honestly think Mark is just going to become another Vinny Del Negro and he really hasn't done anything impressive to turn that team around as a coach.
    What did Vinny do that was so bad other then have management lose the teams leading scorer to free agency without replacing him. Am I missing something on Vinny, he's only in his second year, with his first year taking the defending champs to a game 7 where most of the games were decided in overtime.

Also, wasn't Vinny off Pop's bench down in San Antonio?
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I won't lie: Especially after watching Winning Time a few times, I'm higher on Jackson that I have been in years.

I agree with those who frown on his stance on assistant coaching, but if I found out he was our next coach, I would initially be excited and happy.

Of course, I also realize he may have no clue how to succeed.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Yes, that is my concern with Jackson as well, his experience. He needs to put in sometime assistant coaching you would think, before being handed the head coaching duties. Just not sure how effective he would be with no experience.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    What did Vinny do that was so bad other then have management lose the teams leading scorer to free agency without replacing him. Am I missing something on Vinny, he's only in his second year, with his first year taking the defending champs to a game 7 where most of the games were decided in overtime.

Also, wasn't Vinny off Pop's bench down in San Antonio?
    Perhaps a better example might be Terry Porter. He was a head coach twice and assistant a few times, but no luck with either the Bucks and Suns.

Coaching just didn't seem to be his thing.

Also Reggie Theus didn't have a stint with the Kings. He's someone else I can think of off the top of my head.

Is this true?

Former Pacers GM Donnie Walsh, who also is represented by Jackson’s new agent, Steve Kauffman, thinks highly of Jackson and still holds sway over Pacers owner Herb Simon when it comes to transformational decisions such as a coaching hire.
    It looks to me like a narrow sports writer's hunch. I doubt anybody "holds sway" over Herb Simon.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

Is this true?

It looks to me like a narrow sports writer's hunch. I doubt anybody "holds sway" over Herb Simon.

It also looks heavily like a conflict of interest.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

I'm sure Herb Simon values Donnie Walsh's professional opinion, but I'd say that is a long way from him holding any kind of sway with Herb Simon to step on the toes of the person he hired to do that job.

Sounds like the writer is taking a few liberties in this "blog".
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still wanna puke every time I think of his lockeroom interviews...

it'll be ok, we'll be there come the playoffs, we're a veteran team.....(barf)
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

I like Mark Jackson.... But I think Isiah Thomas has forever burned me on the idea of hiring a former player with NO coaching experience as head coach of an NBA team.

That said, if there was ever a point in time there'd be little to lose, and if it's between Jackson or keeping O'Brien- Welcome new Pacers head coach Mark Jackson!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post

So you think he'll flop as a coach? And if so, is that primarily because he didn't go the route of being an assistant?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I like Mark Jackson.... But I think Isiah Thomas has forever burned me on the idea of hiring a former player with NO coaching experience as head coach of an NBA team.

That said, if there was ever a point in time there'd be little to lose, and if it's between Jackson or keeping O'Brien- Welcome new Pacers head coach Mark Jackson!
    I think Mark will be worlds more successful than Isaiah was. But the assistant coaching argument is fairly valid. I think Patrick Chewing would be a good choice, especially for Roy's sake. Then he could bring in Charles Oakley to work with Hans! Watch out world!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Isiah was a lot more passive than Jack. Plus, Jack is more of a Type-A Personality which, combined with being able to better relate to the players, I think could be a positive. Plus, as someone mentioned, I'd be licking my chops to see him take AJ or, knock on wood, J-Wall, under his tutelage.

At the same time, there is the obvious risks of him just not really fitting as a coach. But, I think a new draft pick, combined with Mark coming in and cleaning house scheme-wise, would at least get the guys up and rallying around him, putting out a better effort than they are now. Hell, it'd definitely get the fanbase excited.

Plus, it would be the return of the ever-popular, ever-awesome Jackson Jiggle.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

I don't know where you get Isiah Thomas as being passive. I still remember hearing about him ripping up the lockerroom at half-time if the team did poorly in the first half. I definitely remember Reggie referencing it after a game the won by playing much better in the 2nd half.

The reporter asked him something like, "What happened at half-time to change this game around for you?" Reggie gets this 'oh my' look on his face and said, "Isiah Thomas happened." And there was something else mentioned before/after referencing him getting, shall we say, animated.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

As for the uncertainty of bringing in a former player with no assistant coaching background, we really have seen the best and worst of that with Bird and Isiah.

I guess it depends on how willing Mark would be to delegating like Larry did as opposed to trying to do too much too soon on his own.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I'd rather have Byron Scott or Chuck Person. Mark Jackson would be #3 on my list, however.

I believe Chuck's pretty much been in hiding since he didn't get the HC job in Chicago and then the Reggie Theus thing blew up.

As for Vinnie - he was working in the front office as a scout in Phoenix. Neither he nor Chuck are on particuarly good terms with Popovich, I believe. As part of the Popovich - Bob Hill fallout, Pop traded both of those guys away. And as much as I love Rifleman, if Rifleman is your returning-from-major-back-surgery starting PF and you've just drafted Duncan, I'd trade Rifleman too.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I would hope to be the SECOND team Jax coaches, not the one he makes his learning curve mistakes on. We're not at a point we have a team that can balance the inexperience. Remember, much of Bird's success (and, as much as I didn't like Isiah, much of his problem) was due to the combined experience and time together (in IT's case, lack thereof) of his playing unit.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Of course, as bad as Isiah was here, he was worse in New York.
    Exactly - the difference being he PUT TOGETHER that batch of players who would have trouble ordering a family-style meal together, much less play together.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    As for the uncertainty of bringing in a former player with no assistant coaching background, we really have seen the best and worst of that with Bird and Isiah.
    I think this is right. I imagine that the players who succeed in the transsition to coaching do so because they've got the aptitude for it. Those who don't succeed lack the aptitude, not the experience.

Any NBA player has seen a lot of coaching by the time he retires, and being an assistant may have dubious benefit if he is an assistance under a coach whose style isn't going to work for him when he takes over the reins.

Certainly it would be preferable to have an experienced and proven coach. But if the Pacers are in the market for a new guy, I question whether spending three years as an assistant is going to add much to a veteran's player's knowledge of the game or the locker room.

I'd be happy giving Mark Jackson a shot.
    Last edited by Putnam; 03-19-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

"Been around coaches" is not the same as "prepared to organize and run a practice", "prepared to develop a game plan", "understands the scouting report for his own players and can maximize their strenghts and hide their weaknesses", and "ready to handle conflict resolution in the best interest of the team".

I've been around a pretty successful coach my entire life, and I don't have any interest in stepping directly into a head coaching role because I haven't spent the time as an assistant developing the necessary skills. There's a lot more to coaching than just yelling at the referrees and calling a timeout to stop the other team's momentum.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you