Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Is This Fan?

Default Who Is This Fan?

I always remembered seeing him in the crowd, but I never see him anymore. Who is he? He seems like the "Pacer Die Hard" (to the public)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who Is This Fan?

He does the same thing with the Boston Celtics. He is no Pacers die hard, although he gets the rep of being the greatest Pacers fan ever to live, which makes me sick.

I'm sure he spends a ton of money on the team, but I can't call someone a die hard who does this exact same shtick for other teams, and he was spotted at some Celtics Finals games 2 years ago.

I thought he was friends with the Simons, and I've heard he owns some restaurants down in Florida, so he's got some dough, I'd assume as well.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He lives next door to Herb Simon in Florida, flies up here with him for lot's of games. He's been coming for years, not as much since we've been rather bad. He went with the team on the China trip this pre-season.

At least this is the story I've heard for years.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Banned

yeah he was like their lucky charm in a long time I think

I remember hearing Mark and Slick talk about him many many years ago and Slick pointed out the fact that he tends to get around with other teams. He's treated like royalty at games from what I've seen.

I have seen him at one of the Florida airports before and he was on my flight going to Indy, I think from Sarasota or Fort Myers, maybe Miami Int'l.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's a bandwagon jumper, is who he is.

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

isnt he the pink flamingo miller time sign guy?
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

El Pacero is at least more original than this nut.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Meet Matt Asen. He is a close friend of the Simons that owns a chain of high end restaurants down in Florida. I've seen him do his sign guy routine for the Pacers, Heat and Celtics. As a matter of fact, I'm the guy that shot the photo of him at a Celtics Play-off game and posted it here on the digest.

I gave him a pass for doing the sign schtick for the Heat since that is the location of his restaurants, but doing it for the Celtics just kind of gave me the attitude of "F*%# this guy!"
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 03-18-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's a bandwagon jumper, is who he is.
    If he still shows up for any Pacer games it's hard for me to call him a bandwagoner...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

He's no bandwagoner.
    Many many years ago, maybe 15 or so, a lot longer than some of you have been fans, I was at one of his restaurants on Sanibel. He had a little corner that was a Pacer SHRINE.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

He was at a game this year that I went to for sure, sitting under the basket as usual. I think it was Pacers Bucks in freaking Feburary, so not like he was watching Lebron or Kobe.

Ya, dude's been to every major game in the last 15 years or so, flies from Florida, this year of all years. I wouldn't call that bandwagon, at all.

when he came to China with pacers team, I had taken some photos with him. he said he is the #1 fans of Pacers~~~
    he gave us many "pink ducks" in the pre-season game and we called him "uncle helmet" haha~

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunsun For This Useful Post:

Mood

He was at a few Colts games this year, as well.

I've seen him at a lot of games this season and always wondered the story behind him... thanks for sharing. IMO he isn't the Pacers #1 fan, El Pacero is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Meet Matt Asen. He is a close friend of the Simons that owns a chain of high end restaurants down in Florida. I've seen him do his sign guy routine for the Pacers, Heat and Celtics. As a matter of fact, I'm the guy that shot the photo of him at a Celtics Play-off game and posted it here on the digest.

I gave him a pass for doing the sign schtick for the Heat since that is the location of his restaurants, but doing it for the Celtics just kind of gave me the attitude of "F*%# this guy!"
    Seems to be a guy who is not so much a fan, but is more interested in having people notice him. Look at me! Look at me!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post

Yeah, I was first remember seeing "Sign Guy" back in the 2000 finals when he had the "Boom Baby" and "Its Miller Time" signs.

He actually had written in to Mark M's Question of the Week to say who he was a few years ago, and I actually thought he was a neat guy.

I will admit I a bit biased as I would love to be in his position as a entrepreneur (he owns several restaurants in Florida, and last I heard they were pretty popular places).

I can see where he would come off as a band-wagoner, but I have to admit if I had that much money (I assume he is not doing to bad in the financial department) I would love to go to as many NBA and NFL games as possible. Now would I have the signs and go all out? Probably not? But he may be friends with the players (or owners) of those teams and my attitude is you only live once, so why not go out and have as much fun as possible.

I have to admit there is no way I can afford NBA League Pass with this being my last year in school, but even when the Pacers play the Magic and it is on TV here I rarely can sit through a full game. So like BBall said if he even shows up for only one game in Indiana I think that means he has to be taken off of the bang-wagoner list

Quote Originally Posted by sunsun View Post
    when he came to China with pacers team, I had taken some photos with him. he said he is the #1 fans of Pacers~~~
    he gave us many "pink ducks" in the pre-season game and we called him "uncle helmet" haha~
    Oh yeah #1 Pacers fan, but yet he goes and "cheats" on the team to go watch the Celtics and Heat.

Bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Seems to be a guy who is not so much a fan, but is more interested in having people notice him. Look at me! Look at me!
    To each their own.

I see him more as a guy who loves sports and who is taking advantage of going to as many events as he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Oh yeah #1 Pacers fan, but yet he goes and "cheats" on the team to go watch the Celtics and Heat.

Bandwagon!
    Wait, do you have to sign a exclusive contract now saying you will only root for one NBA team?

I guess I just see things differently. Can you really be mad at someone for wanting to watch a good game? I LOVE the Pacers, but if someone came up to me today and say "I can get you two free baseline seats to see the Pacers play, or you can get 2 free baseline seats to a Magic game" you better believe I would go to the Magic game (You can replace Magic with Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, etc).....
    Last edited by vapacersfan; 03-19-2010 at 01:36 PM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fan or bandwagoner, who cares? I'm more intrigued by the following that Brandon Rush apparently has in China.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

http://www.daylife.com/photo/05J90j0dga7BH

Indiana Pacers fan Matt Asen holds a sign referring to New York Knicks coach Isiah Thomas in the fourth quarter of their NBA basketball game at Madison Square Garden in New York, February 6, 2008.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjacobs7 View Post
    IMO he isn't the Pacers #1 fan, El Pacero is.
    Ok, please bare with me a moment... This is something that I've noticed a few times (not just here or with Pacers, but all over the sports world), and it really kinda bothers me...

I've seen the "sign guy" at games on TV since I was a kid... And El Pacero is becoming something of an internet / local television phenomenon.

But call me crazy, I don't think that either of them dressing up and getting on TV makes them the #1 fan of the Pacers.

For example, I have only been to TWO games at Conseco in my entire life, I live in California. But I go to every away game I can afford to, and I live and breathe Pacers.

After the Pacers lost to Detroit in the playoffs and Reggie retired, I nearly got fired from my job as a waiter at the time because I was completely and utterly
    Inconsolable for the better part of a month and looked like someone had just ran over my puppy with a car 24/7.

I can name dozens, HUNDREDS of distinct memories and feelings that show my devotion and passion for Pacers basketball.

Am I any less a "#1 Fan" than the people who have money to attend every game and get on TV?

Are the rest of YOU any less of a #1 Fan?

I think not.

Just my 2c
    Last edited by TMJ31; 03-19-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    Ok, please bare with me a moment... This is something that I've noticed a few times (not just here or with Pacers, but all over the sports world), and it really kinda bothers me...

I've seen the "sign guy" at games on TV since I was a kid... And El Pacero is becoming something of an internet / local television phenomenon.

But call me crazy, I don't think that either of them dressing up and getting on TV makes them the #1 fan of the Pacers.

For example, I have only been to TWO games at Conseco in my entire life, I live in California. But I go to every away game I can afford to, and I live and breathe Pacers.

After the Pacers lost to Detroit in the playoffs and Reggie retired, I nearly got fired from my job as a waiter at the time because I was completely and utterly
    Inconsolable for the better part of a month and looked like someone had just ran over my puppy with a car 24/7.

I can name dozens, HUNDREDS of distinct memories and feelings that show my devotion and passion for Pacers basketball.

Am I any less a "#1 Fan" than the people who have money to attend every game and get on TV?

I think not.

Just my 2c
    Great post!

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post

I think not.

Just my 2c
    Yes, I agree with you. But I was referring to the OP saying that sign guy is the "Pacers Die Hard to the public". I think El Pacero appears to be more popular among the public than sign guy.