Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Granger out indefinetly

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger out indefinetly

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A poster wrote:

I still don't know who wrote the title and I don't see the phrase used in the article. I doubt Wells writes his own titles unless it's on his blog.
    ok try this link.........

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...t-indefinitely

but doesn't NO TIMETABLE on return mean indefinitely???
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post

Yes.

not clearly defined or determined; not precise or exact: an indefinite boundary; an indefinite date in the future.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Although the usage of the word brings long term connotations, the word means lacking precise limits. If it were thought to be long term that would have some sense of limits. With a concussion, indefinite should apply in every case.

I say in two weeks evaluate him.

Generally, when an NBA player is out but being re-evaluated on a daily basis that's referred to as "day-to-day." When he's out for a long period of time with no timeframe for return it's "indefinitely."

Tyler's out indefinitely. Wells' article implies that Danny is day-to-day, despite the headline.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Generally, when an NBA player is out but being re-evaluated on a daily basis that's referred to as "day-to-day." When he's out for a long period of time with no timeframe for return it's "indefinitely."

Tyler's out indefinitely. Wells' article implies that Danny is day-to-day, despite the headline.
    O'Brien said on his show that he'd been told that Granger would not be available tomorrow, but he didn't know beyond that. (He also said TJ would not be back until sometime early next week.)

I'm not sure if this is still true, given the nature of the internet, but generally, headlines for newspapers are written by the editors, not the writer. That is probably not true on the insider blog, but would likely still stand on normal articles or columns.

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

well it seems like the whole season has a concusion....although its to bad JOB doesnt get a concusion and is out indefently....
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by the jaddler View Post
    Well, it seems like the whole season has a concussion....although its to bad JOB doesnt get a concussion and is out indefinetly....
    Fixed. Only because you admit it. Also, indefinetly is in the title.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Mike Wells isn't the Star's Headline writer. I believe someone else has that job to make the headlines. I know this topic has came up in the past about the headlines being negatively misleading.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

ok since i created the thread........... is there anything wrong with making a thread title a certain way as long as the article states things in the story to support the title?

Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

The thread title is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Mike Wells isn't the Star's Headline writer. I believe someone else has that job to make the headlines. I know this topic has came up in the past about the headlines being negatively misleading.
    This is correct.

Back in high school (wow I feel old) I emailed "The Bunny" to ask about one of his articles and how misleading the title was, and he informed me he just wrote the article. The Star had another employee who wrote the titles.

The only exception was his Question and Answer segment with fans (which I actually miss) and even then sometimes they would write the titles for those pieces, though its was normally Mark M's Questions of the Week or something like that......

ok since i created the thread........... is there anything wrong with making a thread title a certain way as long as the article states things in the story to support the title?
    I think my lack of time today and brevity in posting created some confusion.

No, I didn't click thru the link since it was a RealGM link and I thought the complete text was pasted with it. ...And I was in a rush doing other things on the computer and phone.

I saw Mike Wells' name mentioned but didn't see him referenced as a source in the original post. I see now if I'd clicked the RealGM link there was a link back to the Star where I could've read the genesis of the RealGM link.

I agree with the idea that 'out indefinitely' technically could mean out 1 day, 2 days, 10 days, or whatever. Generally though, in sports 'indefinitely' means an extended period of time and not expected back at any point soon. "Day to Day" is usually what is said when an injured player is out for an unknown but not expected to be long period.

Reading the text of the article, O'Brien put this into the "Day to Day" realm though. So that takes me back to the reference to Wells. I didn't know if the title of the post related to a Wells' Tweet, a blog entry, a mention on TV or radio, or an article he'd written. Or if the report even came from Wells in the first place and a later poster only assumed it did.

At this point I can see that Wells was the source of the report.

So....
    If it was an article Wells had written then I had every doubt he had anything to do with the title and either an editor or the OP came up with the phrase. OTOH, if the title related to a Wells' Tweet or blog entry, or a comment from TV or radio he'd made then I could see Wells using the term in it's more proper context for sports (because of his ability to have several sources and being connected to sports) as opposed to whatever O'Brien might've said (which typically I really believe you cannot pay attention to anything O'Brien says).

I have no problem with the OP's subject title at all. I was only trying to figure out which way to interpret the term and if it was his term, Wells', or someone else's involved in the report.

Secondarily, I wanted to point out that it's usually doubtful a Star writer/reporter has anything to do with the title put on a piece they've written (unless it's their blog entries).

The answer to the above just helps shed some light on what we should read into that title... if anything.... since it's contradicted (in sporting terms) by what O'Brien said.

So IOW... if the title was directly attributed to a comment Wells (or another close to the team had made) it would potentially trump O'Brien's comments. If it was just someone's title (either OP or editor/title writer at Star) then it can be technically read to mean nothing more than just another way of saying what O'Brien said. ...And again... I no longer pay attention to O'Brien's words so all I take away from all of this is Danny is out and may be back sometime soon this season... or not... Or he might contract an ear infection!

Last edited by Bball; 03-19-2010 at 01:21 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I think my lack of time today and brevity in posting created some confusion.

No, I didn't click thru the link since it was a RealGM link and I thought the complete text was pasted with it. ...And I was in a rush doing other things on the computer and phone.

I saw Mike Wells' name mentioned but didn't see him referenced as a source in the original post. I see now if I'd clicked the RealGM link there was a link back to the Star where I could've read the genesis of the RealGM link.

I agree with the idea that 'out indefinitely' technically could mean out 1 day, 2 days, 10 days, or whatever. Generally though, in sports 'indefinitely' means an extended period of time and not expected back at any point soon. "Day to Day" is usually what is said when an injured player is out for an unknown but not expected to be long period.

Reading the text of the article, O'Brien put this into the "Day to Day" realm though. So that takes me back to the reference to Wells. I didn't know if the title of the post related to a Wells' Tweet, a blog entry, a mention on TV or radio, or an article he'd written. Or if the report even came from Wells in the first place and a later poster only assumed it did.

At this point I can see that Wells was the source of the report.

So....
    If it was an article Wells had written then I had every doubt he had anything to do with the title and either an editor or the OP came up with the phrase. OTOH, if the title related to a Wells' Tweet or blog entry, or a comment from TV or radio he'd made then I could see Wells using the term in it's more proper context for sports (because of his ability to have several sources and being connected to sports) as opposed to whatever O'Brien might've said (which typically I really believe you cannot pay attention to anything O'Brien says).

I have no problem with the OP's subject title at all. I was only trying to figure out which way to interpret the term and if it was his term, Wells', or someone else's involved in the report.

Secondarily, I wanted to point out that it's usually doubtful a Star writer/reporter has anything to do with the title put on a piece they've written (unless it's their blog entries).

The answer to the above just helps shed some light on what we should read into that title... if anything.... since it's contradicted (in sporting terms) by what O'Brien said.

So IOW... if the title was directly attributed to a comment Wells (or another close to the team had made) it would potentially trump O'Brien's comments. If it was just someone's title (either OP or editor/title writer at Star) then it can be technically read to mean nothing more than just another way of saying what O'Brien said. ...And again... I no longer pay attention to O'Brien's words so all I take away from all of this is Danny is out and may be back sometime soon this season... or not... Or he might contract an ear infection!

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

I am sorry, is titling articles a funciton of a copy editor instead? I assumed that as the author of articles for use either in print or online that the author would have been responsible for the title. If not, doesn't he at least have input as to what it should be? If not the responsibility of the author or copy editor, I can definitely see where Gannett could save lots of money in staffing, and after the staff cutbacks that occurred last year for them nationwide, not just here in Indy, it is difficult to believe that there are positions for people whose specific function is to hyperbolize article titles. As a Gannett shareholder myself (not many but I do have a position), this is surprising.

Also, seriously, if there is such a position, how can I and thousands of underemployed like me, apply for that position as supplemental income during these rough economic times? That could easily be done from anywhere with decent web access.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    The only thing we have to play for the rest of this season is a higher draft pick, lol... don't rush back Danny, just get better, and we'll get this ship righted next season.
    we are starting to see a greater utilization of young players. while we aren't in the hunt, you completely ignore the value of players playing together. With the season all but lost the coaches can mix up line ups more and get the starters accustomed to playing with our younger guys. Personally I still believe Danny and Rush need to learn to play well together. Rush seems a lot better when he gets to play Danny for a night( in our offense).

Quote Originally Posted by the jaddler View Post
    well it seems like the whole season has a concusion....although its to bad JOB doesnt get a concusion and is out indefently....
    Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    Fixed. Only because you admit it. Also, indefinetly is in the title.
    it's

And while I'm fooling around with unnecessary corrections of EmCeE's corrections of jaddler's spelling mistakes, Spazzb produces a great new Psychadelic Roy avatar!

Well done!
    Last edited by Putnam; 03-19-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Love the Roy avatar Spazz

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    it's

And while I'm fooling around with unnecessary corrections of EmCeE's corrections of jaddler's spelling mistakes, Spazzb produces a great new Psychadelic Roy avatar!

Well done!
    Good get (!) Putnam!

So, while you are making unnecessary corrections, how does "it" compare with "bad" with respect to the sentence you referenced? Perhaps EmCeE intended the phrase to be "it's too bad", as in "it is a shame" or something similar?

Perhaps you may have even intended to use "Psychedelic" instead of "Psychadelic" with respect to the Roy avatar produced by Spazzb, which I agree is great!

Groovy, man...

Peace

Keep on Truckin'!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

I read somewhere that Danny is ready to get back on the court and is hoping to be cleared to play tonight.

I hate him rushing back

No joke. I doubt he's out a week, let alone a month.
    Called it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Called it.

Yes, yes! You're very smart. Shut Up!

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Yes, yes! You're very smart. Shut Up!

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    I am sorry, is titling articles a funciton of a copy editor instead? I assumed that as the author of articles for use either in print or online that the author would have been responsible for the title. If not, doesn't he at least have input as to what it should be? If not the responsibility of the author or copy editor, I can definitely see where Gannett could save lots of money in staffing, and after the staff cutbacks that occurred last year for them nationwide, not just here in Indy, it is difficult to believe that there are positions for people whose specific function is to hyperbolize article titles. As a Gannett shareholder myself (not many but I do have a position), this is surprising.

Also, seriously, if there is such a position, how can I and thousands of underemployed like me, apply for that position as supplemental income during these rough economic times? That could easily be done from anywhere with decent web access.
    The headline is typically written by a copy editor/page designer - someone who edits the story and puts it on the page, along with photos, graphics, other stories, etc. as part of putting the sports section together in the newspaper and on the newspaper's website. Reporters usually don't know what the headline will be until they see it in the published products.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Freddie fan For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    we are starting to see a greater utilization of young players. while we aren't in the hunt, you completely ignore the value of players playing together. With the season all but lost the coaches can mix up line ups more and get the starters accustomed to playing with our younger guys. Personally I still believe Danny and Rush need to learn to play well together. Rush seems a lot better when he gets to play Danny for a night( in our offense).
    Oh, I don't ignore. You assume, and you know what that does.

I don't think a single part of my statement is false. If he can come back, great (and he did). If he's injured, no need to rush back, let the young guys play, and let's get a nice draft pick.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.