Year - Place - Average

2010 (as of 3/17) - 27th - 13,872

2009 - 28th - 14,182

2008 - 30th - 12,221

2007 - 28th - 15,359

*2006 - 24th - 16,179

*2005 - 17th - 16,994

*-In the playoffs.

We've done better since 2008. That was rough.

Once all of our young guys are healthy and we start winning again, we'll gradually keep on improving.

There isn't much of a difference between last season and this season.

So all in all, I think it's taking time to rebuild for everyone. The franchise's time will shine in the near future. We'll be back in the playoffs with our young, core guys. We just need to draft well this summer and hope for the best going into next season.

Here's the link for the league attendance.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Home attendance average from 2005-present

I've always wondered about the actual turnstile numbers vs. reported attendance and what the net ticket income is (accounts for price of tickets).

Supply and demand. Micro 101.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The headcases were putting W's in the record book and asses in the seats.

Are those attendance numbers or number of tickets that weren't available for sale either because they were purchased by ticket buyers or made available as comps (either of which isn't indicative of overall attendance... although should be the higher of the two numbers...)?

Also, no matter which, do the increased numbers in 09 reflect people returning to the Pacers or do they reflect the impact of bargain basement ticket deals even on great seats?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are those attendance numbers or number of tickets that weren't available for sale either because they were purchased by ticket buyers or made available as comps (either of which isn't indicative of overall attendance... although should be the higher of the two numbers...)?

Also, no matter which, do the increased numbers in 09 reflect people returning to the Pacers or do they reflect the impact of bargain basement ticket deals even on great seats?
    All it takes to count in attendance figures is that it was "purchased". The last couple of years it has not been uncommon to have free and comped tickets run through Ticketmaster so that everybody receiving them had to pay at least the Ticketmaster 0.75 fee to get them, therefore they were actually "sold" for free and counted in the released attendance.

It is absolutely the case that the inflated attendance figures have had a LOT to do with bargain basement prices even on great seats, and it is also no accident that the actual ticket revenues are so rarely released, only the "attendance", which also includes the many seats that have been sold or comped that never are used, 5,000 or more in some games (I remember several instances on weeknights in 2007-08 and 2008-09 where the announced attendance was 11,000 or 12,000 and the lower bowl and club levels might have been about 25% filled, and the balcony was virtually empty with 10% or less filled by just looking around. With 25% in the lower and club, that was about 2,000 to 2,500 people actually in seats in those areas combined, and at a generous 10% in the balcony, that would have been about another 1,000, for a total on those nights of between 3,000 and 4,000 actually there. That left a discrepancy between actual people in seats vs. announced attendance of about 8,000 or so on those nights.

So, I don't really put much faith in any "turnaround" from a financial standpoint despite improved announced attendance figures. It is very difficult to know, as fans, what the truth is regarding this issue because the league does not want fans to be fully aware of the difficulties facing it, especially regarding its weaker franchises, and I suspect that the main reason is that they don't want STH's to demand even deeper discounts going forward. It will be interesting to see what impact the "forced spending" renewal price increases the Pacers have gone with for next year will have on both attendance and the depth of discounts that are available to the general public comparatively.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    The headcases were putting W's in the record book and asses in the seats.
    You get that from?

Between 2005 and 2006 you could say that the attendance dropped IN SPITE OF wins and getting into the playoffs. It is interesting to see that the ranking in 2006 dropped by 7 places, which (absent other info) says league-wide attendance dropped less (or perhaps even increased). How does that translate to "the headcases were putting ... asses in the seats"?

I'd be very interested in the 2003 and 2004 numbers. Sure, 2004-2005 is skewed by the suspensions, but it would give us a better idea of the effect to compare (say) 2003-2004 with 2005-2006.

I agree they weren't the only effect on attendance, but this rose-colored-glasses idea that the city embraced those guys and only said they disliked them to look good is bogus.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    You get that from?
    Increased attendance and winning percentages.
    Last edited by Lance George; 03-18-2010 at 02:05 PM.

I am married with 2 kids. My son is 7 and is a pacers fanatic. I work swing shifts and weekends, so it is hard for me to go to games. We usually go to a few games a year, but this year we only went to the first game. Third Eye Blind rocked before the game and my son loved that too. Anyway if they start winning and playing better I can justify (to myself) going to more games.

I think I sat behind some of you at that game. Under the basket on the side where the pacers enter from about 12 or so rows up. Was that any of you. It was against Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    You get that from?

Between 2005 and 2006 you could say that the attendance dropped IN SPITE OF wins and getting into the playoffs. It is interesting to see that the ranking in 2006 dropped by 7 places, which (absent other info) says league-wide attendance dropped less (or perhaps even increased). How does that translate to "the headcases were putting ... asses in the seats"?

I'd be very interested in the 2003 and 2004 numbers. Sure, 2004-2005 is skewed by the suspensions, but it would give us a better idea of the effect to compare (say) 2003-2004 with 2005-2006.

I agree they weren't the only effect on attendance, but this rose-colored-glasses idea that the city embraced those guys and only said they disliked them to look good is bogus.

What you really want to look at are the 2008 numbers. Attendance figures can't drop immediately, because they're heavily driven by corporate and private season tickets.

Attendance in 2005 was strong because (1) they started the year as a serious championship contender, (2) there was an us vs. the world feeling after the brawl that morphed into (3) let's say goodbye to Reggie and get to see him one last time. Most tickets were sold early, but the house stayed full for most of the year.

There wasn't a huge dropoff in 2006 because, despite the departure of Reggie, the Pacers were still considered serious contenders. They didn't start well, but were still well regarded when Artest decided to ask out. The rest of the season was bad, but only in a this team is joyless and uninspiring kind of way. The Brawl still was the only significant non-basketball sin committed, and much of the fanbase did not then (and does not now) hold the Pacers wholly responsible for that incident (whether they should be or not).

The 2006 season ended on a sour note, but nothing earth shaking. They had limped into the playoffs at .500, and the future was definitely looking cloudy on the court. There were calls to get rid of some of the players, most notably Tinsley and Jackson, but it was largely based on simply not liking them as players, as opposed to any ingrained dislike of them as human beings...at least not as a general notion

One of the things that happens a lot is that the brawl is blamed for everything about the situation the Pacers find themselves in now. That's not true. The brawl broke the back of that group as a contender, but it didn't break the relationship between the Pacers and a large portion of the ticket buying public.

The events of the 2007 season did that. Just as the Pacers started the well-intentioned, but horribly timed "It's up to us" season, Club Rio happened. The campaign was aimed at cleaning up their on-court image, but was demolished by off-court stupidity.

The season meandered into January with the team hovering around .500, and Stephen Jackson still largely nurturing his status as pariah by, among other things, getting sent to the locker room in a game at Cleveland (IIRC) for cussing out Carlisle. This led to the Murphleavy trade in mid-January, but any fresh air that moving Jackson may have created was sucked out of the room by the incident with Tinsley and Daniels at 8 Seconds.

At that point in time, a large portion of the fan base said, "**** this, we're outta here. We'll be back when you get rid of these idiots, and you start winning." It's obvious from the 20% drop in attendance that season ticket holders left in droves. (That decline, by the way, was larger than the attendance drop in Seattle, and they were sure they were losing the team. If you exclude the Pacers, the Sonics (who were moving), and the Hornets (who had returned to the still struggling NO after selling out every game in OKC), NBA attendance was only down 0.3%.)

We got into this situation, from both an attendance and a performance perspective, because of the headcases.

We are still in this situation, because we haven't figured out how to start winning again.

Pointing to the record (a whopping 98-95 between the brawl and the Murphleavy trade) and the attendance, and using it as proof that we should have kept the headcases has to be one of the silliest things I've ever seen.

It is roughly the same as discovering your house is infested with termites, exterminating them, only to have your house collapse because of the damage already done, then saying, "Hell, we should have kept the termites, because when we had the termites, we had a house."
    Last edited by count55; 03-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post: