Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford still in Bobcats' future? (please move if necessary)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ford still in Bobcats' future? (please move if necessary)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...ts-future.html

(Rick Bonnell)
    I spoke with Pacers point guard T.J. Ford before Tuesday's game to check how close he thought he was to being joining the Bobcats at the trade deadline. Charlotte and Indiana were in discussions on a deal that would have sent Ford and Brandon Rush to Charlotte for D.J. Augustin, Gerald Henderson and Nazr Mohammed.

Ford got a call from his agent as he was headed for a team flight informing him of the talks. The Bobcats ultimately decided against it, and I'm told that was about owner Bob Johnson's reluctance to take Ford's $8.5 million salary next season.

"I assume it got close if it came right down" to the 3 p.m. trade deadline, said Ford, who has a strained groin.

The way I hear it, the Bobcats saw Ford as a safety net should Raymond Felton leave via unrestricted free agency this summer. That has me wondering: If negotiations with Felton get sticky, would it make sense to explore a sign-and-trade for Ford?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ford still in Bobcats' future? (please move if necessary)

I'm not sure who we'd have to give up to turn TJ into Felton, but if we don't get Wall, I think it's a good move to get a quality starting PG.

Sports Logo

Given our luck...we'd end up with the 6th or 7th pick and be stuck in no-man's land ( where we always end up ) with Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins and whichever couple of Players that raises their Stock during March Madness off the board by the time we pick.

I suggested it before....but I can see the Pacers pursuing a S&T with Felton involving Ford. Felton doesn't appear to be that bad of a Starting quality PG, does he?

Larry Brown likes defensive minded players? Maybe we throw in Inferno ( instead of BRush ) for Gerald Henderson as well?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure who we'd have to give up to turn TJ into Felton, but if we don't get Wall, I think it's a good move to get a quality starting PG.
    At most, I'd consider swapping BRush for Henderson.....but I'm trying to see what leverage the Bobcats would have given that they could lose Felton for nothing due to his UFA status.

I still have trouble wrapping my head around why Brown is so interested in Ford.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

maybe ford would make a good mentor for his old buddy augustin? just a thought

I'm not sure if it works out because of Felton being involved in a trade with other players from the Bobcats included.

Bobcats get Ford (and SJones if Charlotte wants him)

Pacers get Felton - S&T for 6M/2 years, Derrick Brown, DeSagana Diop.

I know it works out financially even with or without Solo involved in the trade.

I'd want us to keep Solo because no one is too sure on how Jeff will be next season and Diop can't be a reliable backup. I also had us signing Brad Miller in mind, but that's getting off track with this discussion.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I suggested it before....but I can see the Pacers pursuing a S&T with Felton involving Ford. Felton doesn't appear to be that bad of a Starting quality PG, does he?

Larry Brown likes defensive minded players? Maybe we throw in Inferno ( instead of BRush ) for Gerald Henderson as well?
    At most, I'd consider swapping BRush for Henderson.....but I'm trying to see what leverage the Bobcats would have given that they could lose Felton for nothing due to his UFA status.

I still have trouble wrapping my head around why Brown is so interested in Ford.
    Agree on all counts. If they lose Felton, I think we have the upper hand in negotiations. It doesn't seem like Brown would be a fan of having Augustin run the show. And since they've tried to get Ford numerous times, it seems like they're pretty interested, why.. who knows, but I sign and run (provided Rush isn't involved).

As for Dahntay for Henderson...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
    maybe ford would make a good mentor for his old buddy augustin? just a thought
    Yeah...that would be great.....Ford could teach Augustin his patented "dribble into the paint with a forest of Big Men with no plan on what to do with the ball once you get their" move that he's so good at doing.

This gets back to my question on why there is so much interest in Ford from the Bobcats in the first place. Is it that Brown believes that Ford would do much better in a more structured half-court Offense?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe it was only floated out to the media/agents by the Pacers to increase Ford's trade value as an expiring next year and to maybe get a spark under BRush. Just a conspiracy theory.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah...that would be great.....Ford could teach Augustin his patented "dribble into the paint with a forest of Big Men with no plan on what to do with the ball once you get their" move that he's so good at doing.

This gets back to my question on why there is so much interest in Ford from the Bobcats in the first place. Is it that Brown believes that Ford would do much better in a more structured half-court Offense?
    If someone wants Ford, why do we question their motives? Just get rid of him and be happy about it. I could care less why they want him.
    Grown Man Ball

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Maybe so, they have to see what they have in this seasons playoff run first. I like Felton! Ford will hold high value this summer and next trade deadline. That is if he picks up his contract option, which we all know he will.
    Last edited by odeez; 03-17-2010 at 02:05 PM.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I'm not sure if it works out because of Felton being involved in a trade with other players from the Bobcats included.

I know it works out financially even with or without Solo involved in the trade.

I'd want us to keep Solo because no one is too sure on how Jeff will be next season and Diop can't be a reliable backup. I also had us signing Brad Miller in mind, but that's getting off track with this discussion.

PLEASE no Diop! Say no his 2 more years and 13.5 million!

I could envision a scenario of: Felton leaves Charlotte and goes to somewhere like NYK or MIA. The Bobcats trade Nazr & Henderson for Ford & Jones.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post

Pass on Diop and his overpaid long-term contract. I'd keep Solo over Diop. Keep it simple....Ford+Inferno for Felton ( S&T )

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    If someone wants Ford, why do we question their motives? Just get rid of him and be happy about it. I could care less why they want him.
    I'm not questioning like I want to keep Ford.....I ask this of anybody that would be interested in any of our Players cuz of all the flaws that we know of them. I asked the same thing of Murphy and the Cavs interest...and would ask the same of Ford.

If anything, I'm curious as to why....nothing more.

Mood

If we revisit this trade in the off season I'd rather it didn't include Rush. It's hard to say for sure because Gerald averages only 8 minutes a game, but I don't think he has a higher ceiling than Brandon and I'm not impressed with DJ at all - we don't need another undersized backup level PG and I don't think he is better than Price.

If we could move Rush for a clear-cut starting point guard this would make a little more sense to me, but I don't want to move talent to get rid of a bad contract (TJ). We need more overall talent, not less.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

...I still have trouble wrapping my head around why Brown is so interested in Ford.
    LB looooves his veterans.

B4 the tradeline ended, this trade made perfect sense for Charlotte, b/c Felton is going to be a FA. Charlotte would have to invest in a large multi-year contract to re-sign Felton where as with Ford they only had half a season for this year left in Ford b4 he is an expiring next year. It would have given Charlotte time to find a PG to replace Ford w/o being tied to years in a new contract with Felton. Now, Charlotte is going to have to decide if they want to invest 8-9 mil a year in Felton for 4-5 years. I hope MJ decides not to and comes back to Ford. If so, I can see where the Pacers have the advantage and wouldn't have to include Rush in the trade.

A trade of Nazr and Henderson or Augustin for Ford will work salary wise. Personally, I'd rather do a trade of

Ford
    S. Jones

for

Nzar
    Augustin
    Ajinca

Reasoning is Pacers get 2 bigs, one good b/u 5 with an expiring & one raw future prospect, and a young PG to go alone with Price.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    LB looooves his veterans.
    It's got to be something about super-quick scoring PGs that can penetrate deep into the paint....I don't think that it's a coincidence that Larry Brown and the Bobcats initially pursued TJ before Bird swept in and got him from the Raptors THEN went out and got a similar PG in Augustin.

Pass on Diop and his overpaid long-term contract. I'd keep Solo over Diop. Keep it simple....Ford+Inferno for Felton ( S&T )
    To keep it even more simple, the Bobcats should pay 16M/2 years to Felton (S&T) for Ford.

Just an idea, but I think it's better money wise if we were to just sign him (without the Bobcats involved) or acquire Augustin instead.

The big question is: Will Charlotte deal Felton in a S&T for Ford?

I think it's more likely that Felton goes somewhere like NYK or Miami -- two teams that need help at the point and will have cap space.

I doubt Foster comes back and I could see the Pacers having interest in Nazr. Plus, he lives just a few hours south of Indy in Louisville in the off-season and would probably welcome a chance to play close to home.

A lot of this will depend on where we end up picking in the draft.

Mood

The Bobcats won't S&T Felton, because he is an unrestricted free agent. If someone wants to sign him, they will use their MLE to do so. Felton is not more than a $6M/year PG. In this instance, Charlotte just adds payroll. What good does it do for Charlotte to add Ford for one year? Its like signing a guy to a 8.5M one year deal. If someone wants to sign Felton to a sixth year or for more than the MLE, then I could see its feasability, but that would still mean that Charlotte wants to dedicate 8.5M to Ford for one year. It doesn't make much sense. Charlotte would be WELL over the LT threshold next year if they were to do so. If they trade for Ford, it will be for players they will be paying in 2010-2011. It might make sense if they are capable of using their MLE on someone else and still want to add Ford on a one-year deal without going into LT territory. It just reduces their flexibility so much its doubtful. And based on them being over the LT in doing that, it makes it EXTREMELY doubtful.

I would trade Ford for Nazr straight up. If we want more, then we could offer a swap of second round picks (for Dallas' pick) with them to make up the difference. We save $1.6M on next year's cap number. We add a solid big for a PG who isn't in our future plans and still have him as an expiring. We can parlay him at the deadline in another deal. Makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    Maybe so, they have to see what they have in this seasons playoff run first. I like Felton! Ford will hold high value this summer and next trade deadline. That is if he picks up his contract option, which we all know he HAS.
    fixed

Think Iverson "lite".

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    If we revisit this trade in the off season I'd rather it didn't include Rush. It's hard to say for sure because Gerald averages only 8 minutes a game, but I don't think he has a higher ceiling than Brandon and I'm not impressed with DJ at all - we don't need another undersized backup level PG and I don't think he is better than Price.

If we could move Rush for a clear-cut starting point guard this would make a little more sense to me, but I don't want to move talent to get rid of a bad contract (TJ). We need more overall talent, not less.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why some people are so high on either of those guys. To be fair, I've not watched either of them a ton, so maybe it is just their performance (or lack of performance) in the games I've seen that is skewing my perception. I just don't care for them, based on what I've seen.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post
    Think Iverson "lite".
    More like Iverson "Zero"