Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article in Star about Pacers still hoping to get Damp

diego

Default Article in Star about Pacers still hoping to get Damp

I am surprised this wasnt posted already but found it interesting. I sure get the feeling something is up.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/164046-5508-036.html

diego

Default Re: Article in Star about Pacers still hoping to get Damp

here is article, link doesnt seem to work.

The more Erick Dampier's options dwindle, the better chance the Indiana Pacers have of landing him. Eventually.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh is "monitoring" the situation regarding Dampier, who played his rookie season in Indiana before being traded to Golden State for Chris Mullin, who is now the Warriors' general manager.

The Pacers are unlikely to reacquire Dampier in a trade with the Warriors, but they haven't given up hope of obtaining him.

Or anyone else for that matter.

"We're looking at a lot of options and weighing what might be best for us," Walsh said Tuesday. "We'll continue to do that going into training camp. Some of these things you just have to wait out."

Dampier, who averaged 12.3 points and 12 rebounds last season, is the NBA's most attractive unclaimed free agent. At 6-11, 265 pounds and 30 years old, he has the size and experience to at least offer the hint of competition for Shaquille O'Neal, who rejoins the Eastern Conference in Miami next season.

New York Knicks president Isiah Thomas attempted to land Dampier by offering Nazr Mohammed and Othella Harrington. That possibility appeared to end Tuesday when Mullin traded Nick Van Exel to Portland for Dale Davis and Dan Dickau.

Thomas reportedly offered a six-year, $70 million contract but can only acquire Dampier in a trade because the Knicks are over the salary cap.

Atlanta has nearly $12 million in salary cap space. Hawks general manager Billy Knight and coach Mike Woodson met with Dampier and his agent, Dan Fegan, in Salt Lake City on Monday. Knight, who was working in the Pacers' front office when they drafted Dampier with the 10th pick in 1996, reportedly has offered a deal starting at $8 million per year and totaling about $40 million.

Atlanta could sign Dampier with the intent of trading him. NBA rules prohibit free agents from being dealt for three months after their signing date or until Dec. 15, whichever comes later. The Pacers and Memphis rank as trade targets.

Mullin appears willing to let Dampier walk away as a free agent, placing more pressure on Fegan to find an attractive sign-and-trade arrangement. Mullin, however, doesn't want to take long-term contracts.

Dampier opted out of a contract that would have paid $16.8 million the next two seasons.

The Pacers have about half of their $4.9 million midlevel exception and the $1.6 million exception to use on free agents.

Call Star reporter Mark Montieth at (317) 444-6406.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I definitely think that Damp can be had now. Especially with GS trading for Dale Davis. What reason would GS want to the Knicks scrubs for when they have Double D. I think that trade just went ou tthe window. Also yet again the Warriors had another point guard. Golden State is not done yet. If the pacers can steal Dunleavy do the freaking deal. Even though Damp benefited form Troy Murphy's absence last year.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

The Knick deal is dead - Isiah just took Moochie off the table in the Crawford deal which was the one sticking point in that one - looks like he's shifted priorities.

Dampier should be putting together a letter firing his agent - I have a feeling he may end up being an MLE player.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

We aren't getting damp for half the MLE.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

O'neal
    Artest
    Miller
    Tinsley
    Foster
    Bender
    Jackson
    F. Jones

If we can get Dampier without giving up any of those players, I'm for it. I'm happy with this team the way it is now, but I suppose if we can drop Croshere's and/or Pollard's contract for a solid starting center, it's a good deal.

I'm thinking Donnie had his eye on Damp from the start, but has been waiting for all the teams to set their rosters and Golden State to get desperate. Either that, or he's faking the interest altogether.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Memphis perspective:

Grizzlies looking for center

Deal for Dampier is now unlikely
    ANALYSIS

By Ronald Tillery
    Contact
    July 21, 2004

Same search. Different summer.

And, thus far, the Grizzlies are experiencing deja vu in their never-ending quest to acquire a defensive-minded, rebounding center.

Remember last summer when Griz president Jerry West persistently pursued multiple sign-and-trade deals for a beefy big man only to fall short?

Welcome to another frustrating walk through the offseason.

West, who remains tight-lipped about his dealings, is in Los Angeles where the Grizzlies' summer league team is playing. But his mind has to be wandering all over the NBA map.

It's no secret that the Griz covet Erick Dampier, the only big-target center left in free agency. Decisions by Dampier's agent (Dan Fegan) and his former team (Golden State) made futile West's pursuit of the former Mississippi State big man.

Could recent developments compel West to again chase a Dampier sign-and-trade deal?

This much is clear: Dampier's options seem to dwindle by the day.

Dampier was figured to be one of the biggest targets this summer. He didn't draw interest from teams with money to spend under the salary cap. Dampier now must weigh a reported three-year offer from Atlanta, which has more than $11 million in cap space but refuses to overpay for players.

New York's bid to acquire Dampier in a sign-and-trade apparently died when Golden State sent Nick Van Exel to Portland for Dale Davis and Dan Dickau.

The Knicks had structured a sign-and-trade deal with the Warriors that would have Golden State sign Dampier to a six-year contract, starting at $9 million per season, and then trade him to New York for forwards Nazr Mohammed and Othella Harrington.

Dampier, 29, opted out of the last two years of his contract to become a free agent, leaving more than $17 million on the table.

Memphis and Indiana are the other teams that talked to Golden State about Dampier. But Indiana isn't willing to part with Jonathon Bender and Memphis wouldn't send Stromile Swift in a proposed multiple-player deal.

With the Warriors' asking price too high and Dampier's sudden lack of leverage, West may choose to resurrect negotiations or continue to move on.

The Grizzlies' past interest in Boston Celtics center Chris Mihm (restricted free agent) could lead to a sign-and-trade transaction.

To complete a sign-and-trade, a team could sign its own free agent up to the maximum salary allowed under the league's collective bargaining agreement. The team could then trade that player to another team in exchange for assets that come within 15 percent of the player dealt.

The catch is that all parties must agree. It takes the free-agent player, his former team and new team to accept trade terms on all fronts.

West's inability to consummate a deal last summer led to what he admittedly called his "eighth or ninth" deal. He ended up with a training-camp deal with Phoenix for center Jake Tsakalidis and forward Bo Outlaw.

That trade happened after Michael Olowokandi slipped from West's grasp and into a Minnesota Timberwolves uniform. During his first Grizzly offseason, West pursued Seattle 7-footer Jerome James, who eventually re-signed with the Sonics. West then settled on Polish project Cezary Trybanski.

The Griz have played the past three seasons primarily with Lorenzen Wright in the middle.

Wright and his backup, Swift, are undersized at that position despite their aggressiveness.

Poor rebounding and interior defense remains the team's Achilles' heel, and the root of West's desire for an upgrade at that position.

Memphis ranked 25th in defensive rebounding last season, and was 28th in that category during the 2002-03 campaign.

- Ronald Tillery:
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Croshere may start looking pretty good to Mully pretty soon....
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It mentions the Hawks and 3 years. But a contract starting at $8M for about $40M must be for 4 years.

I think signing Dampier for 3 or 4 years would be just about right.

If the Hawks sign him, the article mentioned it is possible that they would do so only to trade him after 12/15.

That just might give the Pacers enough time to make up their minds about Bender.

I mentioned in another thread, I would not sign Dampier for any longer than 3 years. 2 years is about all I really want to, but 3 is OK.

4 years is too long.

The question of the day on Pacers.com was about this yesterday, just in case someone didn't see it:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_040720.html

" QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner
    Q. What do you see the Pacers doing for the center position for next year? Jeff Foster is a very effective rebounder and hustler, but he lacks the inside scoring and shot-blocking presence. I think David Harrison will be very good, but he's clearly a few years away. Playoff basketball, as a rule, goes through dominant big men. No doubt the Pistons will be very tough, and Shaq will have a definite impact on the Heat.

Do you see us making a move for a center? Erick Dampier seems like the obvious choice, but I hear the Knicks or the Hawks are about to wrap him up. Will Donnie Walsh or Larry Legend be able to pull off some magic, or are they happy with our present situation? (From Barry in Des Moines, IA)

A. Though the Pacers did use their first-round pick on Harrison, it seems unlikely they’ll expect him to step into a prominent role right away. Given that, there is a need for another quality big man in the frontcourt rotation. Throw in the trade of Al Harrington, who figured in the rotation as a backup power forward and was a quality low-post option, and the need becomes more pronounced. Foster is a very good rebounder, but lacks shot-blocking ability. Defensively, he can be very effective against certain types of centers but lacks the bulk to spend a full season leaning on the more physical big men. Neither Foster nor Scot Pollard is an offensive option, though Harrison could eventually help with filling that void.

Dampier has been pursued by a number of teams because he’s the best center on the market this year, but his price is very high – both in terms of salary (he reportedly is seeking a deal that begins at more than $9 million next season), but trade cost (at least two quality players). Because they’re over the cap, the Pacers can’t get in the free agent bidding for Dampier, which leaves the sign-and-trade route as the only avenue. Coming off a career season (12.3 points, 12.0 rebounds), Dampier finds himself in much the same position as Brad Miller a year ago. The Pacers decided then they couldn’t afford to keep Miller, and it seems to follow they would take a similar stance now with Dampier."

Here, everyone have a : on me

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mentioned in another thread, I would not sign Dampier for any longer than 3 years. 2 years is about all I really want to, but 3 is OK.

4 years is too long.
    4 years would be fine, if the 4th year was our option.

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I'd even take 5 years if the 5th was our option...

Here, everyone have a : on me

J-Wont

If Indy would've just signed Stephen Jackson outright we could be including Al Harrington in a sign& trade with Golden State. No doubt about it that would get Dampier.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thre HAS to be people on this forum that has to be sick of hearing that by now.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

There will be no trade for Dampier. Time to put it to rest.

I don't see how you can know for sure we won't get Dampier, but it's not looking good. The most I would offer is a combo of Pollard/Croshere/J.Jones/Brewer/Draft Pick(s) but I doubt that would convince GS. Altough, judging from the NY offer, you never know.

Also, please stop with the sigining Jack without the trade thing. We wouldn't have done it.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Some of us have little birdies (no pun intended, heh) that tell us things. We're not getting Damp.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who knows who we will get or what kind of trades we still may do as long as Donnie and Bird are in the front office.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I really doubt we are getting him.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

J-Wont

We're getting him.
    I just got that feeling.
    These feelings are always right. I was 95% sure we were getting Stephen Jackson a week before we got him, when 95% of everyone here had any idea who he was.
    We're getting Erick Dampier. I gurantee it.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

We will not go after Damp. We may even be done. But I have this "feeling" that there is more to come...but it won't be Dampier.

Does nobody remember the articles about his weak knee way back when he was here? IIRC they thought it could be helped thru PT but it seems to flair up from time to time. IMO, we wouldn't re-invest in him once he was gone.

no I have no links, just an old man's recollections
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Wont
    We're getting him.
    I just got that feeling.
    These feelings are always right. I was 95% sure we were getting Stephen Jackson a week before we got him, when 95% of everyone here had any idea who he was.
    Wanna bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    We're getting him.
    I just got that feeling.
    Wanna bet?

Are you sure you want to take money from a 12-year old?
    [edit=64=1090469713][/edit]

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

J-Wont

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    We're getting him.
    I just got that feeling.
    Wanna bet?
    Sure. I'm absolutely never wrong about these things. As a matter of fact, I would rate my basketball knowledge and intuition higher than any other 5 people on this board's put together.
    Now, what kind of bet?