Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Does anyone else feel this way?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    190

    Default Does anyone else feel this way?

    I feel that our players just don't get it. I feel like our coach doesn't get it. I also feel like Bird doesn't get it. I don't want our players or anyone else associated with the Pacers organization talk about losing being hard on the team. I don't want to hear Granger talk about wanting Wall. I don't want to hear about Murphy and Dunleavy talk about how long they have been waiting to make the playoffs. I just believe no one get it, except a large portion of the fans. A win like tonight is exactly what this team doesn't need. It proves nothing, means nothing, but the end results could be very damaging to the future of the Pacers. If the players and Bird can't see that the ONLY way this team gets better next year is to have a good draft, then they have no idea what the heck is going on. We aren't going to sign a FA, we won't make a big trade, and if we end up with say the 7th pick in this draft we won't end up with a top tier draft pick. Winning these meaningless games are without a doubt hurting us more and more.

    They talk about getting the fans back but you aren't going to get them back by drafting a Greg Monroe or Patrick Patterson. You are going to get them back by drafting a John Wall, Evan Turner, or Derrick Favors. That is how you improve this team, improve ticket sales, and improve general interest in the Pacers. I am not usually one for tanking, however, with this Pacers team the alternative to tanking is more destructive than trying to win every game. I realize that tanking doesn't guarantee we get a top 3 pick but at this point we need all the odds of this happening that we can get.

    I truly wonder if some of the veterans aren't trying a little harder to win, because they are afraid if we get a top pick that their playing time next year could be severely cut. It sure seems like when we get close to seeing a potential decent pick within our grasp, somehow our team shows up ready to play and wins just enough games to where we miss out on a good draft pick.

    My solution to all of this is simple. Play all of the young guys. AJ, Rush, Solo, McRob, Hibbert, Jones, and Head. It is a win win situation here. Those players get some serious PT and heaven forbid they get better, and they just might help us out next year. Oh, and we probably won't win many if any games the rest of this year which, you guessed it, helps us out even more next year. However, this Orig. just doesn't get it and they will continue to try and win as many games as they can, acting like they have something to prove, while we continue to have to wait longer and longer to actually have a team we can cheer because they win and not because they lose.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    I can comprehend fans wanting a team to lose to better itself in the draft.

    But you want our players who make 100's of millions of dollars to go try and lose on purpose.

    Winning will make things better, although it is too late this year to help out the crowd situation, but losing every game I think will only hurt the fan base.

    Have some patience. If you build it, they will come

    edit: to be mad about our guys coming in, playing hard and competing is silly

  3. #3

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    You can't ask the players to lose on purpose. You just can't. It's self defeating, and creates a poor atmosphere.

    But what you can do, is..like we've all been saying.."play the young guys" let them learn the game...will they win some, yes..but that's okay too because they are learning to win in the NBA.

    Personally, I don't think a person should be in the NBA if losing doesn't bother them.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Member pacers101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    I couldn't have said it any better. I feel exactly the same way. I watch every game hoping they lose because I know that's the recipe for success in the future. People who think that one win here and another one there won't change anything are flat out wrong. Every win hurts our chances to get a top 3 pick. The race for draft position is clearly on and our competitors are in tank mode. The Wiz have lost close to 10 in a row. The Sixers are playing those young guys more and sitting Brand and Iggy at the end of close games sometimes. Sacramento has been really bad as well although I wouldn't say it's on purpose. Detroit is losing just about every game. The only team that looks like its trying to win besides us is NY and that's only because they know Utah is getting their pick no matter what they do. If we keep playing the veterans we WILL end up between the 7th and 9th pick.
    Which brings me to the point you made: playing the veterans makes no sense. The young guys should be playing. What really bothers me is that the orders always come from the top and that is Larry Bird but he clearly hasn't told JOB that he wants him to focus on playing the young guys while racking up the loses. We've got Murphy and Watson playing a crap load of minutes while AJ and McBob are sitting.
    I don't know the extent of Danny's injury from tonight's game but perhaps it will be significant enough that we decide to sit him out for the year since the season is lost anyway. That could be a blessing in disguise for this franchise assuming his future wouldn't be affected by this injury.
    No significant free agents will come here. The only way this franchise can get better is through the draft and trades. This draft is stacked at the top and we currently are in a great position to get one of those studs. We have 14 games left. Whats the point of screwing up our position now???

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers101 For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    877

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?


  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Winning will make things better, although it is too late this year to help out the crowd situation, but losing every game I think will only hurt the fan base.

    Have some patience. If you build it, they will come
    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can't ask the players to lose on purpose. You just can't. It's self defeating, and creates a poor atmosphere.
    IUFan how is losing the rest of the games hurting the fan base? From what I can see and tell our fan base is already at an all time low. Again we win some games at the end of this season and end up with the 7ish pick in the draft. Name me one player that we can get at 7 that will instantly have the fans really talking about the Pacers team again. Now look at the projected top 3 picks and tell me that the fans wouldn't be quick to forget about not winning a few games at the end of the season.

    Sookie do you really not think that the atmosphere is poor now? I mean this team has given up on their coach, don't come to play every game, and are all the time getting injured. Hardly a good combination for even an average atmosphere. This team has lost hope and it is going to take something extra special to bring them back hope again. It could be in the form of a new coach but I am not sure how likely that might be. However, if you want to change the atmosphere and bring in a player that is electric as I believe any of the three guys that I mentioned above are, then you start giving the players hope and that can be a dangerous thing.

    The one question I would like someone to answer is this. What do we have to look forward to next year if we do only get the 7th pick this year? All signs point to us having almost the same team next year as we do this year. Yes we could maybe make a trade but it won't be anything major. For whatever reason we are the one team that no one wants to deal with. We won't sign a big time FA because we don't have the money. So again if we end up with just the 7th pick in this draft why should I be excited about this team going into next year?

  10. #7
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,748

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm entirely talked out re:tanking.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,115
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    I would never, never root for a team that went out of their way to lose....for any reason!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:


  14. #9

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    I believe playing the young guys could only result in more wins. They have the desire, ability and talent to win.

    Thats the main reason I want O'brien gone next year. He simply will not or can not understand that concept.

  15. #10
    soul brother #1 BKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    HCMC, Vietnam
    Age
    29
    Posts
    889

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    when I woke up this morning and saw the win I felt this way
    but looking at the recap it's not like we didn't help the Bobckitties come back and potentially grab the win in the closing moments... as if it was possible they just sucked more than us in the last minute of the game. Bobo's insane pass to nobody did not really help either.

    I think this game shows there's a limit to sucking... Charlotte really gave us the win IMO. Not that they wanted but they did.

    I've been thinking recently that the end of the season was going to be ugly in the eastern conference. I just did not think it was going to be this soon.

    IIRC we play Washington and Detroit (both lost last night which brings them awfully close to us even worse in the case of Was) twice in our remaining schedule. We can just hope we split those games with them because it's gonna be hard to suck more than them...

  16. #11
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,761

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    Proof positive that you just have to get rid of Bad Coaches. They screw it up even after they screwed it up. Just when your setting up to make Lemonade out of all the sourness, JOB goes and steals the sugar and sprinkles in a handful of wins at the end of the season.

    FU JOB.

  17. #12
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Proof positive that you just have to get rid of Bad Coaches. They screw it up even after they screwed it up. Just when your setting up to make Lemonade out of all the sourness, JOB goes and steals the sugar and sprinkles in a handful of wins at the end of the season.

    FU JOB.
    Can't blame the coach for everything.

    If you watched the game there were other factors that fell into play in which helped us get the win.

  18. #13
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,761

    Thumbs down Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't blame the coach for everything.

    If you watched the game there were other factors that fell into play in which helped us get the win.
    I'm not referring just to last tonight, I'm just saying you know JOB is gonna F this up for us. Well probably sweep the remaining games against our fellow bottom feeders.

    JOB is serving us up with Country Time powdered mix. When we want the real deal. We are gonna get fake lemonade, in the disguise of hey the Pacers show real heart down the stretch and played .500 basketball. Larry Bird will the bring JOB back for the next season because he believes the players got it going at the end of the season, and something just clicked.

  19. #14
    Member chrisjacobs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    25
    Posts
    276

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    I've been rooting for tanking pretty much all season... but to suggest the players shouldn't be playing their hardest and trying to win is incomprehensible.

    If the team really wants to 'tank' they should do so by playing the young guys, never by taking a night off.

  20. #15
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not referring just to last tonight, I'm just saying you know JOB is gonna F this up for us. Well probably sweep the remaining games against our fellow bottom feeders.

    JOB is serving us up with Country Time powdered mix. When we want the real deal. We are gonna get fake lemonade, in the disguise of hey the Pacers show real heart down the stretch and played .500 basketball. Larry Bird will the bring JOB back for the next season because he believes the players got it going at the end of the season, and something just clicked.
    How do you expect us to not be extremely competitive against the "bottom feeders" of the league? I can see us winning a few of those, but c'mon be realistic.

    You're just making this out to be a lot more difficult than it has to.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 03-17-2010 at 09:17 AM.

  21. #16
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,761

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you expect us to not be extremely competitive against the "bottom feeders" of the league? I can see us winning a few of those, but c'mon be realistic.

    You're just making this out to be a lot more difficult than it has to.
    Not anymore than other people here wanting a good draft pick and a new coach.

  22. #17
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not anymore than other people here wanting a good draft pick and a new coach.
    That's fine and dandy, but let the guys play.

    Based off your argument, if O'Brien really had his hands that deep in the cookie jar we would've been winning a long time ago.

  23. #18
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,124

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    Dead horse conversation.

    I just want a new coach and high draft pick. I don't care how Indiana does it, because I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm rooting for loses this season, so that I can see playoffs for the next 3-6 seasons...and national TV coverage.

  24. #19

    Default Stop Winning!!!

    It's pissing me off!!

  25. #20
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Stop Winning!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bender
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's pissing me off!!
    Out of all the tank threads... You couldn't find one to display this tripe? This is not worthy of its own thread waste of bandwidth...

    Merged!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 03-21-2010 at 10:56 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  26. #21

    Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

    I think it would be easier watching the team lose if they were playing their young players...What makes it hard it playing Dunleavy, Murphy, and Watson. We know they aren't the future of the team, they are just good enough to win pointless games against teams that are probably trying to lose.

    They need a top 4 pick this year to get a difference maker. Anything else will just be another role player.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thefeistyone For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. I Feel Stupid...
    By duke dynamite in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM
  2. I feel ill for IU
    By heywoode in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 06:52 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 10:41 PM
  4. anyone else feel helpless? (How did you feel?)
    By JOneal7 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 10:09 AM
  5. anyone else feel helpless? (How did you feel?)
    By JOneal7 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 02:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •