Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granger's concussion

Default Granger's concussion

Still waiting for video. How bad was it?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Granger's concussion

It was so bad I quit paying attention to the game. I have no idea what happened after Danny went down. The way he was acting had me really worried. Still am.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-16-2010 at 10:54 PM.

The intersting thing is, it didn't look like the hit to the head was too bad..

After it, was really disturbing. He looked dazed, and stumbled off the court. Then when he got off the floor he didn't even make it to the bench, he just knelt near the coaches, then he sort of sat down further. Then McRoberts and an assistant coach helped him off the court.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's just a headache.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    It's just a headache.
    If you were there there is no way you could say that... It looked like he either did or came close to losing consciousness twice (fell over onto his side and was motionless for a couple moments by the bench and then while going towards the locker room he suddenly started to collapse... if Mcbob wasn't holding him he would've done a header into a metal rail in the stands).

What got me was, that our star player was hurt and they were calling a doctor over from the stands (looking for signs of concussion and neck injury and even put ice one his neck) and O'Brien acted like he could care less and wouldn't even try to get play stopped (and the Assistants and players really looked pissed at him about it). To me play should have been stopped and Danny should have been taken off on a stretcher, you don't around with these kind of injuries in sports. First the referees should have realized it's unsafe to play with an incapacitated played right on the sideline... and once they didn't our coach should be out on the court stopping everything till Danny is taken care of...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    If you were there there is no way you could say that...
    I believe ATC violated the green text rule that clearly caused you not to get the sarcasm involved. ATC is currently being whipped with a wet noodle for his transgression.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

and once they didn't our coach should be out on the court stopping everything till Danny is taken care of...
    In O'Brien's defense I am not sure he's ever aware of what is happening on the court unless it is a Pacer player shooting 3's.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    In O'Brien's defense I am not sure he's ever aware of what is happening on the court unless it is a Pacer player shooting 3's.

Oops... I violated the green text rule too....
    I think...

------

-John Wooden

Granger shouldn't be playing 40 minutes a night anyhow. Stupid JOB.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

It's just a headache.
    If you were there there is no way you could say that...
    A year or so ago, there was a poster who insisted that there's no difference between a concussion and a headache. He had no medical training or qualification and yet he insisted on this simplistic comparisonj despite strong disagreement and real evidence from everubody else on the forum. I'm sure ATC is referring to that.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Sit Danny down for the rest of the season. You don't mess around with concussions.

His long term health is more important than these meaningless games.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

Sit Danny down for the rest of the season. You don't mess around with concussions.

You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

He was at the opposite end of the arena when it happened, and, as Wells noted, it looked for all the world like he got racked. However, he slumped when he got to the bench, and he was right in my sight line, and it looked pretty ugly. Still, I was far enough away to not be able to tell whether he was woozy, or had that nausea you get from a sharp blow (particularly in the suspected region). When McBob help him out, it was clear that he was rubber-legged.

The video doesn't show alot, at least not on ESPN. It's a high sideline angle, and you can see Dahntay jumping over Danny to try for the follow, then coming straight down. I had to watch it several times, but it looks like it was probably a glancing blow, as Danny's head didn't snap back or anything severe.

My guess is that Dahntay's elbow caught him on the temple, as Danny just appeared immediately stunned. The angle was poor, but the contact definitely didn't land on the top of his head. In fact, it looked like first contact was on Danny's shoulder, which is why I think it probably clipped the temple. That's the only area that my Accounting Degree has taught me is vulnerable enough to cause such a reaction without a lot more force behind the blow.

He's definitely out tonight, but I'd be surprised if they shut him down for the season. It's a possibility, but it would have to be a pretty severe concussion to sit him for almost a month.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    In fact, it looked like first contact was on Danny's shoulder, which is why I think it probably clipped the temple.
    He was holding his cheek when they carried him away.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

If you were there there is no way you could say that... It looked like he either did or came close to losing consciousness twice (fell over onto his side and was motionless for a couple moments by the bench and then while going towards the locker room he suddenly started to collapse... if Mcbob wasn't holding him he would've done a header into a metal rail in the stands).

What got me was, that our star player was hurt and they were calling a doctor over from the stands (looking for signs of concussion and neck injury and even put ice one his neck) and O'Brien acted like he could care less and wouldn't even try to get play stopped (and the Assistants and players really looked pissed at him about it). To me play should have been stopped and Danny should have been taken off on a stretcher, you don't around with these kind of injuries in sports. First the referees should have realized it's unsafe to play with an incapacitated played right on the sideline... and once they didn't our coach should be out on the court stopping everything till Danny is taken care of...
    Sorry, it probably was too soon for my brand of snark. Much like how "Things change. This is how I live my life. Let's please move on." has become part of PD lore, so, too, has the link between concussions and headaches (specifically referencing this post).

25. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry, it probably was too soon for my brand of snark. Much like how "Things change. This is how I live my life. Let's please move on." has become part of PD lore, so, too, has the link between concussions and headaches (specifically referencing this post).
    You can rag on it for saying minor concussions are basically just headaches, but the you can't really argue with the rest of that post.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    You can rag on it for saying minor concussions are basically just headaches, but the you can't really argue with the rest of that post.
    Sure I can. Easily.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

This is exactly what I said as we were leaving Conseco last night.
    Grown Man Ball

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sure I can. Easily.
    How? Besides shoot, what does he do well? I honestly can't think of one other thing. Even his weak side shot blocking has dropped off this year.

He's not a good or even willing passer. He's an atrocious ball handler. Despite being fully capable, he gives zero effort defensively, and to me that is far worse. He isn't a leader in any sense of the word. All of this was clearly pointed out but was lost because people were so quick to jump on the headache point. Concussions can be extremely serious. But not all concussions are.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

How? Besides shoot, what does he do well? I honestly can't think of one other thing. Even his weak side shot blocking has dropped off this year.

He's not a good or even willing passer. He's an atrocious ball handler. Despite being fully capable, he gives zero effort defensively, and to me that is far worse. He isn't a leader in any sense of the word. All of this was clearly pointed out but was lost because people were so quick to jump on the headache point. Concussions can be extremely serious. But not all concussions are.
    He can score. That isn't just shooting. That's getting to the hoop and getting fouled. He defends PFs above average. He might not have the quickness for the smaller guys but I'm thinking it has more to do with player specific coaching - his technique could greatly improve. A 1:1 turnover to assist ratio is fine by a scorer. You may like it to be higher, but it won't kill the team. He's tough. None of that business stating otherwise in that post of the year - horrible edition worthy post that was linked earlier. He's a solid rebounder for a small forward - not great.

Granger is a player whose all around game will get better as the team around him does. He doesn't look like an all-star this year, but we don't have anyone that's 33 minute per game starter quality, do we?

He's a similar player to Carmelo. Not as athletically gifted, doesn't have that bit of a post game, but is a better long range shooter. He'd do well to try to emulate his game after 'Melo.

Danny IS having a poor year. His shooting percentages are down by 3% off his career averages. His blocks are down .5 per game. His injuries help explain this for the most part.

Get Danny a point guard that is more than a career backup and you will see a different player. You did last year when we had Jack.

This is getting me worried that there aren't any updates yet.

He probably now has a headache and is a bit swollen in the cheek. I'm sure the major dizziness from last night has passed.

That's not what the post is about... that's just lead-in filler for his main point.

His main point is that the team isn't tough because Danny's not tough. His main evidence to support that point is Danny's absence from a game when he had a concussion. I quote:

Quote Originally Posted by BannedOne
    At Memphis, he leaves the game with what is called a concussion and doesn't return. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that a "concussion" that mild is nothing more then a headache. If he was tough, would he have ever left the floor at all? Against the Knicks he takes a knock and acts like someone shot him in the leg. Now, credit should be given where credit is due, and he finished the game, shot the free throws and hung in there. But, Danny is our best player!! He's our leader. He needs to lead by example. Suck it up, don't show weakness. Lead the team.

In my personal opinion, that toughness needs to improve immensely, and it starts with Danny Granger.
    The final line is the summary of the entire post. He's not complaining about Danny's blocks per game or scoring off the drive. He's complaining about Danny's toughness. Which is silly.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

He's OK!

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/grang...ry_100317.html

Pacers forward Danny Granger was examined and released from Methodist Hospital Tuesday night after suffering a blow to his upper right cheek late in the fourth quarter of Tuesday nightís game with Charlotte at Conseco Fieldhouse. Granger had a CT scan of his head and neck and the results were negative. He will be evaluated further by team physicians and updates will be provided accordingly. Granger will miss the Pacersí game at Cleveland Wednesday night.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post: