Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ty Warren foregoes 250K to go back to school

Default Re: Ty Warren foregoes 250K to go back to school

And that next +$250,000 will always be there for him to earn—he can do a few extra local radio ads and eventually make it up, if he's really that concerned. The only truly non-renewable resource he's got is time, and to someone interested in an education for the education's sake—which I think is at least part of what's going on here—then there certainly IS quite the difference between settling down to study now, and doing that studying seven years from now. "At least I'm making tons of dough!" won't comfort him if he's truly interested in cultivating his mind/intellect/character, I'm guessing.

I don't think we should dismiss what he's doing as "largely symbolic". . . refusing to return to his studies until after his NFL career would itself be symbolic, too, just not as noticeable or remarkable. . . .

ps., I think making him responsible for the fate of money he has chosen not to earn is silly - should a person never have any kind of hobby, or any time-consuming endeavors that don't directly bring in $$$? If I want to start skydiving on a regular basis—if skydiving is somehow really important to me—, should I deny myself that, and instead give the $ needed to hire a pilot to some "business on the brink of closing?"
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 03-23-2010 at 01:18 AM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And that next +$250,000 will always be there for him to earn—
    That money is gone. He walked away from it. Any money he earns the rest of his life will always be short that 250,000.00.

he can do a few extra local radio ads and eventually make it up, if he's really that concerned. The only truly non-renewable resource he's got is time, and to someone interested in an education for the education's sake—which I think is at least part of what's going on here—then there certainly IS quite the difference between settling down to study now, and doing that studying seven years from now. "At least I'm making tons of dough!" won't comfort him if he's truly interested in cultivating his mind/intellect/character, I'm guessing.

I don't think we should dismiss what he's doing as "largely symbolic". . . refusing to return to his studies until after his NFL career would itself be symbolic, too, just not as noticeable or remarkable. . . .
    It's his life and his money to walk away from. But if he didn't want/need it, I don't see going back to school right now as the most wonderful thing he could've done for mankind. In fact, I can even see it as rather short-sighted and selfish.

Earn the money and donate it. Don't leave it on the table where it will likely never make it to the places he could've put it that would actually do some good in people's lives.

I'm not saying don't get the degree... I'm saying find a way to do both and don't be stupid about the money. He was IMHO stupid about the money... He didn't actually show his kids a bigger lesson about generosity that was there for him to teach.

ps., I think making him responsible for the fate of money he has chosen not to earn is silly - should a person never have any kind of hobby, or any time-consuming endeavors that don't directly bring in $$$? If I want to start skydiving on a regular basis—if skydiving is somehow really important to me—, should I deny myself that, and instead give the $ needed to hire a pilot to some "business on the brink of closing?"
    Get back to me with an analogy that has you leaving $250,000.00 on the table to instead go sky-diving because your current analogy falls woefully short of my point. We're not talking a few hundred dollars here. We're talking an amount of money that would make a difference in anyone's life or in a worthy cause. IMHO that would be a much better lesson for his kids to see and learn.

The point of this guy walking away from the money to finish his degree is supposed to be some grand life lesson. Well, I don't think it is. It was an apparent attempt at one, I'll grant you that... but it was poorly executed when looking at the bigger picture.

But as I said, it's his life and his money... Don't expect me to applaud what I see as a selfish decision though no matter how well intentioned. If he didn't need the money there is no shortage of causes that did... and thanks to his decision... still do.

This wasn't a case of get the degree now or never.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

BTW... Don't take my counter argument personally. I just see this differently than apparently most.... or everyone!

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I just don't get the "other people still need the money" thing—why aren't you saying this to the people who actually have the money, the Pat's owner(s?)? Going to school in the US almost always costs a lot of $, and that time spent in school is always time that person could have spent elsewhere, making money.

Any money he earns the rest of his life will always be short that 250,000.00.
    Okay, sure. My point was that money can be made up much more than time can—and more than anything, a really good education takes time, lots of time spent thinking about/studying things that aren't "practical" (ie money-making—I hate that "practical" has come to mean "makes you money" in the US). This is his life, and it's his job to decide how he's going to invest his time. What you see as selfish I see as an admirable act of self-cultivation. He's trying to send his kids a lesson in character (and lessons in character almost always have to be by example, I think)—that a great individual takes as good of care / is as attentive to himself as he does the people around him.

A really good education is about a kind of intellectual maturity—a maturity that may or may not make you lots of dough (that's the risk you have to take). I think the fact that "getting a degree" has come to mean "spending four years in UNiversity X so that you can make lots of cash once you get out" is what's standing between us in the debate. . . .
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

If you or no one else is getting my point by now, I'm not sure what else I can say to make it. My last post on the subject seemed to hit all the points but your (SIG) reply still doesn't seem to get my point. I'm not saying that because you don't agree, I'm saying that because the things you are saying and questioning are not really on point to what I'm trying to say.

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    In fact, I can even see it as rather short-sighted and selfish.
    Wow.....just wow....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I see where you are coming from, BBall, I just do not agree.

Like SIG said, why not have the Pats owner donate that 250,000 to a business that is on the brink of closing down. I may win the lottery tonight (God I hope I do )but just because I do not donate 20% of my current paycheck (which I clearly do not need) to charity does not make me a bad person.....

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I see where you are coming from, BBall, I just do not agree.

Like SIG said, why not have the Pats owner donate that 250,000 to a business that is on the brink of closing down. I may win the lottery tonight (God I hope I do )but just because I do not donate 20% of my current paycheck (which I clearly do not need) to charity does not make me a bad person.....
    Because the Pats owner has control of the money. He can do with it what he wants. In this case he would've been contractually bound to have paid it to Warren. Warren decided he didn't need the money and would rather show his kids the importance of an education.

I say he could've followed thru on the workouts, taken the money, donated it to show the kids the spirit of giving and not just hoarding money for one's self.... and STILL got his degree down the line when it didn't cost him $250,000.00. Point being that by walking away from the 250K he was saying it wasn't important to him so, to me, that means it was a perfect opportunity to have taken the money and gotten it into the hands of people where it was very important to them or their causes.

The "No thanks, I have enough money... I've got something else I can do instead of workouts anyway. I'm gonna get my degree. You keep the money" routine falls short of the big picture when I stop and think about it. That degree is always there for him to get... that 250K just went back into the pockets of the Pats owner.

I'm not arguing that the Pats owner should donate it simply because the Pats owner has done nothing to indicate the money wasn't important to him. He was only letting lose of that money because he was contractually bound to do so (if Warren had participated in workouts). Ideally the Pats owner would donate it... although I'm sure he does donate money and likely this won't find its way as 'extra' money to donate because he's probably already donated what he plans to donate.

Look at it this way- Warren didn't want the money and was willing to turn his back on it. Effectively he just donated 250K to a multimillionaire by allowing him to keep money he otherwise would've had to spend. Conversely, Warren could've taken the money and donated to any number of worthwhile causes. ....And none of this would've stopped him from getting his degree in due time.

And if he wanted to show the importance of a degree he could've taken the money and used it to help some underprivileged kids who otherwise couldn't afford a degree get their's...
    Last edited by Bball; 03-23-2010 at 01:34 PM.

------

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bball, like I said above, if it instills a lifelong love of and culture of higher learning within his own family and trickles down from there, he's given FAR more than $250k to his family. FAR more. And let's suppose a fan of his is showing this to their child, and uses it as a life lesson to show them the value of a degree. Maybe that child uses that as part of the inspiration they need to get to and finish college. What if 1,000 fans showed it to their kids? 10,000 fans? You say he'll never get that $250k back, when all he has really done is spent it on an intangible something far more valuable. THAT'S the big picture. Taking the $250k now is tiny in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Bball, like I said above, if it instills a lifelong love of and culture of higher learning within his own family and trickles down from there, he's given FAR more than $250k to his family. FAR more. And let's suppose a fan of his is showing this to their child, and uses it as a life lesson to show them the value of a degree. Maybe that child uses that as part of the inspiration they need to get to and finish college. What if 1,000 fans showed it to their kids? 10,000 fans? You say he'll never get that $250k back, when all he has really done is spent it on an intangible something far more valuable. THAT'S the big picture. Taking the $250k now is tiny in comparison.
    Thats good it really shows something that he is getting his degree. Great inspiration for a lot of people out there!